/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Closing Teeth Gaps In Islam?

Taqiyah
08-21-2007, 04:06 AM
salaamz...

hi everyone I am really confused right now and I don't know what to do:? I have always wanted to get rid of the gap between my front teeth and when I finally got the chance my sis told me it is haram coz I am not doing it for a medical purpose it is just for beauty..is that true? Is it really Haram??:? :? I really really really gotta know before I commit a horrible sin:scared:
Please help?
salaam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Taqiyah
08-21-2007, 04:56 AM
it is in the middle of the night I can't call my Sheikh.......someone help! Anyone?:confused: I am getting desperate here...:grumbling :grumbling

barney
08-21-2007, 05:14 AM
Sorry I cant give you much advice.

If it's purely for asthetic purposes then its haram because Allah created the human body and we are not to change it.

If you are finding that the gap puts your teeth at increased risk of infection through food etc getting stuck there, then you are remedying a medical problem and that wouldnt be haram.

This is based on my readings of the subject and I'm sure you will need a non-kuffar to confirm it. call your sheikh in the morning, you cant get it changed tonight anyway eh? so no reason to worry.

Regards

unknown_JJ
08-21-2007, 09:22 AM
srry i hav no clue..bt i d dentist dun mine without askin :S Hope its not haraam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Zaara
08-21-2007, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah
salaamz...

hi everyone I am really confused right now and I don't know what to do:? I have always wanted to get rid of the gap between my front teeth and when I finally got the chance my sis told me it is haram coz I am not doing it for a medical purpose it is just for beauty..is that true? Is it really Haram??:? :? I really really really gotta know before I commit a horrible sin:scared:
Please help?
salaam.
Selam aleykum sis,

I really don't know, but why not wait until you can call your Sheikh?

I understand the reason your sis gave, but one could counter that.
Some see widening the teeth gap as beautification, and that's haram too of course. So then in those cases, if you reduce the gap you're trying to become more modest so to say...

But the gap seems to distress you and make you feel a bit different I guess, ('cause you say you've always wanted) and a gap could possibly, easily attract unwanted attention.

Maybe this will help? http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503543166

Taqiyah
08-21-2007, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Selam aleykum sis,

I really don't know, but why not wait until you can call your Sheikh?

Some see widening the teeth gap as beautification, and that's haram too of course. So then in those cases, if you reduce the gap you're trying to become more modest so to say...

But the gap seems to distress you and make you feel a bit different I guess, ('cause you say you've always wanted) and a gap could possibly, easily attract unwanted attention.

Maybe this will help? http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503543166

slaamz..

thankz so very much sis.

see, the thing is my Sheikh is on summer vacation in another state and I don't think calling him before he comes back would be such a good idea...so I just want to get more and more views from you guys...I mean honestly this forum has the most educated muslims as far as I know n u never know there might be some people here who know more than my own sheikh.

In a way I do agree with the point u r making sis, the prophet(SAW) condemned those who widen the teeth gap for beautification and attention but He didn't say anything about closing gaps between teeth, which by the way, contrary to widening the teeth gap, doesn't attract attention because you are like everybody else..there is nothing different about you. So I guess it does make you more modest..

right? does anybody differ?

slaam.

islamirama
08-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle with regard to cosmetic procedures that are done to remove a fault or deformity are that they are permissible, because Islam is a religion of ease that aims to make things easy for people.

It was narrated that ‘Arfajah ibn As’ad (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: My nose was cut off on the day of al-Kulaab during the Jaahiliyyah (a famous battle) and I had a nose made of silver, but it began to smell bad, so the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told me to get a nose made of gold. Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (1770)’ classed as hasan by al-Nawawi in al-Majmoo’ (1/245)and by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
Beautification is of two types: beautification that is aimed at removing a fault due to an accident etc – there is nothing wrong with this, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told a man whose nose had been cut off in battle to get a nose made of gold.

The second type is aimed at increasing beauty, which is not aimed at removing a fault, rather the aim is to make someone more beautiful. This is haraam and is not permissible because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the woman who plucks eyebrows, the one who has that done, the woman who does tattoos and the woman who has that done, the woman who adds hair extensions and the woman who has that done, because this is aimed at increasing beauty and is not removing a fault.

Fatawa ‘Ulama’ al-Balad al-Haraam (p. 575).
A large gap between the teeth is an abnormality which some people are affected by. It is permissible for one who has such a fault in his teeth, or other faults, to correct it, and there is no sin on him for doing that, in sha Allaah.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Sharh Muslim (13/107):
With regard to the phrase “women who file teeth”, what is meant is doing that for the purpose of beautification. This indicates that that which is haraam is that which is done for the purpose of beautification. But if there is a need for that for medical reasons or to correct a fault in the teeth etc, there is nothing wrong with that. And Allaah knows best. End quote.

The Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas (24/75) was asked: If I have two teeth that are long, is it permissible for me to make them level with the other teeth?

They replied:
If they are so long that they bother you, they you may remove that which is bothering you only. End quote.

We have explained that it is permissible to do operations on the teeth that will correct faults and abnormalities. Please see question no. 1006 and 21255.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

AmarFaisal
08-21-2007, 06:48 PM
^^Yes I think our Prophet PBUH did have a gap b/w his front teeth. I have one too and my daughter will have one, I think too ( it seems so).

I have always been desperate to remove this fault. WHo wants to be teased by their cousins of having teeth like rabbit!!..I mean most of us with faulty teeth, crooked teeth, gaped teeth, yellow teeth, get to hear terrible comments. I think teeth r one thing u get teased abt the most.

I hate it!! But actually what happens with the front teeth gap is that it reduces with age for some pp. My mother had hers gone completely by the late 20s. And mine has reduced so much.

Taqiyah
08-21-2007, 06:51 PM
salaamz..

HTML Code:
As for the kind of beauty which is neither commendable nor blameworthy, it is that which has nothing to do with either of the two purposes mentioned above (i.e., it is neither for the sake of Allaah nor for the sake of worldly purposes).
IbnRuwahah I read the whole article you posted n it was nice thankz but I didn't get the third type of beauty I mean if it isn't for Allah sake or for worldy purpose then what is it? I am hoping that is my reason for wanting to do this.... I want to do it for me and it is definetly not for worldy purpose:?

Taqiyah
08-21-2007, 11:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AmarFaisal
^^Yes I think our Prophet PBUH did have a gap b/w his front teeth. I have one too and my daughter will have one, I think too ( it seems so).
MashaAllah...I had no idea our Prophet(SAW) had a gap between his front teeth wow! I really feel special...:statisfie :statisfie
are you guys sure about this?

Taqiyah
08-22-2007, 04:05 PM
salaam

Jazaaka'laah Khair....this is so COOL...awesome:statisfie :statisfie I don't feel the need to get rid of my gap anymore...on the contrary, I feel great about it:statisfie...I am soooo gonna keep my beautiful gap :D you guys can't imagine how special I feel..Alhamdulilah.

thank you so very much u guys for your responses. Allah bless you'll.

Salaam.

Marzipan<3
08-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Of course it's not 7aram.
That would mean that braces are 7aram, and i am sure for a fact that they are not.

qpjwamaadr
09-30-2021, 10:55 AM
Invisalign is the best option compared to braces.Braces are bulky, unattractive, and often undesirable. Invisalign is the clear alternative to traditional braces that will straighten your teeth without changing your smile.so choose invisalign

Invisalign vs Braces : What Is Best for You [Which one is Best]
You can go for traditional braces or the latest Invisalign treatment in modern dentistry. It is advisable to compare Invisalign vs braces to move teeth...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.