/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Marriage to Relatives / Non Relatives - Which is preffered.

Pk_#2
08-22-2007, 06:43 AM
Bismillah-Ir-Rahman-Ir-Raheem :D

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,
Question:

One of my relatives has come to me for the purpose of marriage but I heard to marry from non-relatives is preferred for the sake of the future of the children and other reasons. What is your opinion on this matter?

Answer:
The principle has been stated by a number of scholars. It points to the fact that genetics and heredity has an effect. There is no doubt that genetics has an effect on the physical and psychological make-up of a person.

This is shown in the hadith where a man came to the Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) and said,''My wife has given birth to a black child.” ( He was opposing that child as all of his ascendants were of light skin.) .

The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) told him, ''Do you own camels?” He said, '' Yes.” The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) said, '' What colour are they? ” He said, ''Red.” The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) asked him, ''Is there a dusky one among them ? ” He said, ''Yes.” The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) then said , ''How has that come about ? ” The man replied , ''It is perhaps due to the strain to which it has reverted .” So the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) told him , ''Perhaps that son of yours is due to the strain to which it is reverted. ” [1]

This is evidence that genetics does have an effect and there is no doubt about it. However, the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) also said,

''A women is married for [any of] four reasons: for her wealth, for her lineage, for her beauty or for her religion. So try to marry one who is religious, may your hands be smeared with dust. ” [2]

Therefore, the most important matter in proposing to a women is her piety. The more religious she is and the more beautiful she is then the better she is, regardless if she be a close relative or distant [non-] relative.

The religious women will protect the man’s wealth, children, and house. Beauty fulfils his needs and lowers his gaze and he will not look to others. And Allah knows best.

[1] Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim.

[2] Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim.

Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen

Source: Islamic Fatawa Regarding Women - Darussalam Pg.187-188.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Haidar_Abbas
08-22-2007, 05:31 PM
:sl: given the higher rate of genetic mutations associated with offspring of an inner family marriage, aside from the fact there are more women in this duniyah than men i dont see there to be problem of going about the halal process of finding a wife (wives) inshaAllah, waAllahu Alaam this is my opinion may Allah(SWT) have mercy on us all aameen. :sl:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.