/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do Good, Feel Good

wilberhum
08-22-2007, 06:08 PM
I was perplexed where to put this, general or health.

I finally decided Comparative Religion would be the best because;
So many times I see that athiest are bad and have no morals because they don't beleve in eternal punishment.

Well I don't believe in eternal punishment either and I have known for decades that donig good made me feel good.

I have always felt sorry for thoes that only do it for an eternal reward. I think they miss one of the joys of life.

Here is what I found:

Few of us are immune to the frustrations and challenges of daily life—family problems, conflicts at work, illness, stress over money. When we get depressed or anxious, experts may recommend pharmaceuticals or therapy. But a newly emerging school of thought suggests that a simple, age-old principle may be part of both the prevention and the cure: Help others to help yourself.

There’s no shortage of research showing that people who give time, money, or support to others are more likely to be happy and satisfied with their lives—and less likely to be depressed. Could helping others be the key to weathering the inevitable storms of life?
(More)
http://health.msn.com/centers/depres...7285&GT1=10305

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul Fattah
08-24-2007, 01:51 AM
Hi wilberhum, nice reminder

Yanal
08-24-2007, 01:54 AM
Yeh that is true do good and you feel good and when it comes to prayer i feel good praying and knowing i am praying to the creator of all:sl:

snakelegs
08-24-2007, 02:35 AM
i too have always wondered about religious people who ask, well if you don't believe in heaven or hell, what keeps you from......(any evil you can think of).
i think it is our nature, pure and simple. it probably even comes from god.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
08-24-2007, 02:40 AM
God, being the ultimate good, created beings who for the most part strive to be good. Perhaps the reason we feel good for doing good is because that is one of the most natural things a human being can do. You don't have to be a Jew, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, etc to feel that. I suppose that is why there is always hope for humanity.

Isambard
08-24-2007, 03:11 PM
I dont see how you need God for 'morality' either as evergry group of herd animals has done just fine without "God's law". I see not why humans are any different.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-24-2007, 03:15 PM
lol nice thread :)

helping others is always a great thing ! helps when u hav hell scarin you and paradise beckoning you tho :D

Isambard
08-24-2007, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
lol nice thread :)

helping others is always a great thing ! helps when u hav hell scarin you and paradise beckoning you tho :D
Not really as even from a socio-political perspective it is almost always in your best interests to help your neighbour. The whole heaven/hell thing is just some bribe that cheapens the decision in my opinion

Pygoscelis
08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
I have always felt sorry for thoes that only do it for an eternal reward. I think they miss one of the joys of life.
Such people, few that there are, are what we call "sociopaths".

When I hear the question from theists "But if you're an atheist what stops you from doing [insert horrible action]" I at first recoil, wondering if they really mean that and have no internal sense of morality, but than I figure that they *DO* have an internal sense of morality, they have just burried it beneath tons and tons of dogma so they don't realize its there anymore.

aamirsaab
08-24-2007, 03:57 PM
:sl:

I have a very good sense of morality. You can trust me, I'm pakistani. Helping others is in our nature as human beings. The advantage of being a muslim whilst doing this is not only does it feel sooooo good when you do it (trust me I know it does - I do it a lot), you also get reward in the afterlife.

Booyah.

Uthman
08-24-2007, 06:32 PM
This fits in perfectly with the Islamic concept of Fitrah (human nature).

:)

:w:

Pk_#2
08-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Hiya Will,

Nice thread bro,

I feel good when i do good because ..i do inay:D

Pk_#2
08-24-2007, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
:sl:

I have a very good sense of morality. You can trust me, I'm pakistani. Helping others is in our nature as human beings. The advantage of being a muslim whilst doing this is not only does it feel sooooo good when you do it (trust me I know it does - I do it a lot), you also get reward in the afterlife.

Booyah.
He finks you're sad. :muddlehea

Booyah :shade:

shev
08-24-2007, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
This fits in perfectly with the Islamic concept of Fitrah (human nature).

:)

:w:
yes I agree with you. There is a story about this a good and wise man teaches people religion and after students arrives a higher level they start to leave him. but one of his student doesn't leave him and he asks why he doesn't leave him. student says : well you are my teacher you taughtme everything I know.I want to ask you if you know why your students leave you? because on your forehead it is written 'deserving hell'
teacher says: yes I have known it for a long time. but is there any other god that I can go .
And that moment the writting changes as 'deserving of heaven'
how many of us can continuou to teach if we know that we will go to hell at the end.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.