View Full Version : Noise of modern life blamed for thousands of heart deaths

ahsan28
08-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Stress of exposure adds to risks, says WHO report
· Light traffic is enough for chronic levels at night

Alok Jha, science correspondent
Thursday August 23, 2007
The Guardian

Thousands of people in Britain and around the world are dying prematurely from heart disease triggered by long-term exposure to excessive noise, according to research by the World Health Organisation. Coronary heart disease caused 101,000 deaths in the UK in 2006, and the study suggests that 3,030 of these are caused by chronic noise exposure, including to daytime traffic.

Research published in recent years has shown that noise can increase the levels of stress hormones in the body, even during sleep. The longer these hormones stay in circulation around the bloodstream, the more likely they are to cause life-threatening physiological problems. High stress levels can lead to heart failure, strokes, high blood pressure and immune problems.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/s...154289,00.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
zarhad
08-23-2007, 07:26 AM
how intresting...yah i would believe that, i dont know about noise alone i think its a comination of noise polution and poor diet, but i guess they all are related to urban living.

atho a lack of pease can be bad for the body

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.