/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Salaams to non-Muslims

Rabi'ya
09-05-2005, 03:29 PM
:sl: to all brothers and sisters

Got a question I would like to ask....

Is it permissable to reply if a non-muslim salaams u. Ill give you a scenario....im from a non-muslim family. my brother has learnt to say assalamualaikum......i have heard you shud only say wa'alayk but seeing as its only wishing peace back would it be ok to say wa'alaikumasalaam

if a non muslim say assalamualaikum warahmatulllah then i can understand only saying wa'alayk as we cannot wish with Allahs name to them...

does that make sense...? ill try to clarify if its messed up

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
09-05-2005, 03:53 PM
:sl:
I understand what you are saying. However, from the hadith of the Prophet saws we understand that if they give the greetings of Salaam to us, we are to respond with wa 'alaykum. As for saying wa 'alaykum as-salaam then I believe that is wrong since the greeting of salaam is specially reserved for the loving bond between Muslims that comes from submission to the same Lord.

Rabi'ya
09-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Jazak Allah for your reply brother....

azim
09-06-2005, 02:44 AM
Salamu alaykum.

I was taught that you should say 'Assalamu ala man ittaba’a al-huda'. Which means 'Peace be upon the rightly guided ones', although I've also heard 'Peace be upon those who seek the truth' as a translation for this. They also say it is ok to respond 'Walaykum Salaam' to a non-muslim who greets with 'Salamu alaykum' if it is in the path of dawah. I'm not to sure if that applies on a continual basis though. Hope this helped.

Salam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nikki
09-22-2005, 11:03 PM
asalaamualaikum!

Dr Zakir Naik said (on Islam channel: 836) that u shud say alaikum (on u too) if u are wishd death, but im not sure about peace...
i thought that it was alright to wish salaam or reply... but im new to this so not certain!

alhamdulillah im learning evry day
xxxx

Mu'maneen
09-23-2005, 01:06 AM

Just like it was mentioned, when a non-Muslim sends Salam upon you, we must respond Wa'laycom.

Also we cannot tell them, Asalamu'Alycom.

At the time of Muhammad (salla Allaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), the Yahood (Jews) used to say to him, Samu'Alycom, which means, "Death be upon you", rather that Asalamu'Alycom, "Peace be upon you", so our wonderful Prophet (salla Allaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) replied with, "Wa'laycom". Therefore what ever they said to him, was reversed back to them.

---------------------

Visit my new Islamic Site:
http://hstrial-besmail.homestead.com/islam.html

rayhana
09-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Assalaamu'alaykum

What about the arab jews and christians? They also use the greeting "Assalaamu'alaykum"?
What is the stand then, since the salam is only supposed to be between muslims?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Jazzaakallah

Wassalaamu'alaykum

MetSudaisTwice
09-27-2005, 09:22 AM
salam
i heard you can reply either alaikum or wa alaikum
wasalam

rayhana
09-27-2005, 09:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
i heard you can reply either alaikum or wa alaikum
wasalam
Assalaamu'alaykum

do muslims and non-muslims in saudi arabia greet each other with assalaamu'alaykum and wa'alaykumsalam?

or is it when the non-muslims in saudi arabia greet the muslims assalamu'alaykum, the muslims reply wa'alaykum or 'alaykum?

*confused* a bit.

some people are commenting that assalaamu'alaykum is just an arabic term, so why can't non-muslims elsewhere use it, since non-muslims in saudi arabia use it too?
the argument is, that it is just a language.

just like Allah is not for the muslims only, because Allah is also used as a word to mean God for the christians in saudi arabia.

jazzakallahu khayran.

wassalaamu'alaykum

MetSudaisTwice
09-27-2005, 09:31 AM
salam
non-muslims can say assalaamu'alaykum but we must reply back wa'alaykum because salaam is specially reserved for the loving bond between Muslims that comes from submission to the same Lord.

rayhana
09-27-2005, 09:39 AM
salam
non-muslims can say assalaamu'alaykum but we must reply back wa'alaykum because salaam is specially reserved for the loving bond between Muslims that comes from submission to the same Lord.
assalaamu'alaykum

ah.. i see. so it is not prohibited for non-muslims to say assalaamu'alaykum (or what sounds like it sometimes) but as muslims we must reply wa'alaykum or 'alaykum.
did i get it correct?

jazzakallah brother

wassalaamu'alaykum

MetSudaisTwice
09-27-2005, 09:41 AM
salam
yes, sis correct but still ask the other members like bro zak or bro khaldun
wasalam

Far7an
09-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Assalamu alaikum

I think the hadith which Br. Ansar was reffering to, earlier in this thread was the following:

When the People of the Book greet you, reply them by saying wa alaykum. (Bukhari)

YamahaR1
09-29-2005, 12:03 PM
salam
Now, I'm confused.

As a Christian, I believe in the same God as muslims. So, in essence, we are submitting to the same Lord. It is the method in which we worship and the holy books that we obtain our faith from that is different. Correct?

Malaikah
09-29-2005, 12:15 PM
if you believe in the same god.. does that mean you believe in islam? now im confused. ive never heard a christian admit that we share the same god

Rabi'ya
09-30-2005, 08:08 AM

Just because Christians worship Allah, doesnt mean they follow his rules and they do not believe that Muhammad(saw) was a prophet and therefore they cannot be classed as Muslims.There is (as u well know) a lot more to Islam than just believeing in Allah. Believing and following the guidelines/rules is totally different.

YamahaR1
09-30-2005, 10:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese
if you believe in the same god.. does that mean you believe in islam? now im confused. ive never heard a christian admit that we share the same good
Do you believe in God, the Father Almighty and in Jesus Christ, His only Son? I think we do believe in the same God. We just derive our methods of worship from different holy books. No, I am not muslim and do not subscribe to Islam as my faith.

The Apostle's Creed covers the core of Christian doctrine and beliefs:
The Apostle's Creed
I believe in God the Father Almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ,
His only Son, our Lord;

Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
Born of the Virgin Mary,
Suffered under Pontius Pilate,
Was crucified, died and was buried.
He descended into hell;
The third day He rose again from the dead;
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
From there He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
The holy Catholic Church,
The Communion of Saints,
the Forgiveness of sins,
The Resurrection of the body,
And the Life everlasting.
Amen.

YamahaR1
09-30-2005, 11:04 AM
And, since I'm not still clear based on the responses, can someone please tell me an appropriate greeting to use as a christian in my posts here or when greeting someone I know to be muslim? Thanks.

Vedad
09-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Yamaha, we do NOT worship the SAME god, my God dont has ha son, ure has, my godaint 1 of 3 but 1 of 1, ure god has 3 shapes but my 1, thats how ive understood the christianity. so sorry we do NOT worship or believe in the same God.

109.001 Say: O disbelievers!

109.002 I worship not that which ye worship;

109.003 Nor worship ye that which I worship.

109.004 And I shall not worship that which ye worship.

109.005 Nor will ye worship that which I worship.

109.006 Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.
[Qur'an Al Kafirun, 109.001-006]

Henry
11-22-2005, 03:35 AM
Assalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu

My former science teacher (now my Wrestling Coach) greets me with Assalamu Alaikam. He won't answer whether or not he is Muslim, and I know only Muslims can greet each other with that. What should I do without being rude?

Wassalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu

Halima
11-22-2005, 03:53 AM
:sl: Brother,

There is no specific rule for greetings with members of another religion, however, not to be rude I feel that you should still give the same respect to that person as how you would attribute to another person. Of course you must not say Assalaam Alikum becuase of the fact that he is not a muslim therefore he will totally not understand what you are saying.

Noor
11-22-2005, 03:53 AM

First, if ever someone said AssalamuAlaikum to me and I wasn't sure if they were muslim or not, I would still greet them with the full salaam.

Since he is your teacher, and he hasn't specified whether he is Muslim, one way I would get to know if he was Muslim would be to ask him questions like: Shall we pray the Dhoor salaat together?...Are you fasting today?....Do you miss Ramadan?...what masjid to you go to for friday prayer?

Asking those questions would give you an idea of whether your teacher is Muslim or not.

May Allah allow him to embrace Islam....Ameen

Or

May Allah keep him on the straight path...Ameen

*charisma*
11-22-2005, 04:21 AM
Assalamu Alaikum ekhi,

EXCHANGING SALAAM WITH NON-MUSLIMS

The Prophet (pbuh) said:"Do not greet the Jews and the Christians with salaam." However, if they salaam first, we may reply by saying "wa a'laykum" (and upon you)." (Bukhari and Muslim)

Salutation and Meeting Non-Muslims

Amr bin Shu'aib - Tirmithi: The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said: "He does not belong to us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews or the Christians, for the Jews salutation is to make a gesture with the fingers and the Christians salutation is to make a gesture with the palms of the hands."

Ayesha - Bukhari: When some Jews came to the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) and said, "As-saamu 'a'laikom" (Death be upon you) and he replied, "Wa 'a'laikom" (and upon you), she ('A'isha) said, "Death be upon you and may Allah curse you and be angry with you." The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) then said, "Gently, 'A'isha, keep to kindness and avoid harshness and coarseness." She asked if he had not heard what they said, and he asked if she had not heard what he said, saying, "I replied to them, and my prayer regarding them will be answered, but theirs regarding me will not."

Surah Mujadila:8: "And when they (Non-Muslims) come to thee, they salute thee, not as Allah salutes thee (but in crooked ways)." E.g. As-saamu 'alaikom.

Abu Hurairah - Muslim: The Messenger of Allah said, "Do not salute the Jews and Christians before they salute you, and when you meet one of them on the road force him to go to the narrowest part."
and heres some more info...Maybe this thread will help inshallah,

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-chat/7571-why.html
fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Henry
11-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Assalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu

Thanks! This helped me out so much :)

Wassalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu

Muhammad
12-23-2005, 08:07 PM

Threads merged.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.