/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Islam supports conservation'

Uthman
08-24-2007, 08:06 AM
The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Experts have said Islam includes specific values, cultures and traditions that touch environmental issues relevant and applicable to today's world.

Fachruddin M. Mangunjaya from Conservation International Indonesia said Islamic regulations included environmental conservation.

He said the Prophet Muhammad introduced a system called hima, a protection zone, in Islamic conservation law that permitted the creation of environmental reserves for forests, plants, wildlife and endangered species.

"For example hima could be created for bees on a seasonal basis, which would prohibit the grazing of domestic animals during the flower season," Fachruddin said during a discussion on Islam and conservation at the Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University on Thursday.

Fachruddin said the Prophet forbade people from polluting three places: roads, the shade of a tree and riverbanks.

Because of this, each of those three places was protected by the system known as harim, he said.

"The harim area for a river extends to half the river's width on both banks and the harim area for a tree extends from the tree for a distance of two-and-a-half to three-meters in all directions," he said.

"There is also a forbidden zone for wells or water sources, in which the zone is at least 20 meters in all directions."

Fachruddin said there were regulations on what kinds of food Muslims could eat and should not eat.

He said Muslims must not eat animals with fangs and claws.

"If we apply this, we will be able to preserve our endangered predators, such as tigers and eagles," he said.

The university rector Komaruddin Hidayat said Muslims should follow guidelines the Prophet had set out, including planting trees and converting infertile land to fertile soil.
He said during the pilgrimage to Mecca and Madina in Saudi Arabia, Muslims were forbidden to kill or destroy any living creature, including a mosquito, or to break the branch of a tree.

"This has left the environment of Saudi Arabia undamaged, even though those two holy cities are visited by pilgrims all year round," he said.

A number of high-ranking officials from Afghanistan attended the discussion because they said they wanted to learn about nature conservation practices in Indonesia.

Sultan Muhammad Awrang, a member of the natural resources and environment committee of the Afghanistan parliament, said the war that had lasted for the last three decades in his country had damaged the environment and human resources in environmental sectors.

He said the visit to Indonesia was related to the Afghan government's plan to restore their national parks.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
08-24-2007, 04:18 PM
:salamext:

that was nice, masha Allaah :) i never thought about them Prophetic narrations that way before.. it's kool.

Isambard
08-24-2007, 05:29 PM
But Islamic teachings promote lots and lots of kids....which given the already overpopulated Earth, isnt a good thing...

Uthman
08-24-2007, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard
But Islamic teachings promote lots and lots of kids
Really? I never knew that!

Can you provide us with some reference, please?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sami Zaatari
08-24-2007, 06:05 PM
But Islamic teachings promote lots and lots of kids....which given the already overpopulated Earth, isnt a good thing...
actually Islam says nothing about having lots of kids, where you getting your info from??????

i myself plan to have 6 kids :) i hope you dont mind,

MTAFFI
08-24-2007, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
actually Islam says nothing about having lots of kids, where you getting your info from??????

i myself plan to have 6 kids :) i hope you dont mind,
6 more Sami's running around?!?! +o( j/k

جوري
08-24-2007, 08:05 PM
He gets his info from the crypts of morgagni--

Sami Zaatari
08-24-2007, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
6 more Sami's running around?!?! +o( j/k
what wud be wrong with 6 more Sami's it would be very nice indeed :Evil:

Cognescenti
08-26-2007, 12:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
what wud be wrong with 6 more Sami's it would be very nice indeed :Evil:
Noth'n wrong wit dat. Wud be kul

Sami Zaatari
08-26-2007, 01:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Noth'n wrong wit dat. Wud be kul
yup

Woodrow
08-26-2007, 01:24 AM
On my mothers side I had 5 aunts and 2 uncles each had at least 7 kids. On my father's side I had 8 aunts and one uncle, each aunt had at least 8 kids. But, they are not Muslim. Did that happen because they were prepared for my reverting?

جوري
08-26-2007, 03:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
On my mothers side I had 5 aunts and 2 uncles each had at least 7 kids. On my father's side I had 8 aunts and one uncle, each aunt had at least 8 kids. But, they are not Muslim. Did that happen because they were prepared for my reverting?
I enjoy my dose of inane generalizations as much as the next guy.. but I have noticed the forum attracting bozos as of late-- I think mods should implement a new toll plan for mindless drivel.. You'd probably afford to purchase google and Youtube by the end of the week!

:w:

beespreeteam
08-26-2007, 10:02 AM
ROFL @Isambard

Anyway, man the source doesn't work ><

Malaikah
08-26-2007, 10:34 AM
:sl:

Hey people, Isambard is actually right, the Prophet did encourage us to have many children alhamdulillah.

There is, for example, the hadith of the Messenger encouraging us to have kids so that he can have the biggest ummah on the day of Judgement...

Isambard, if you are that worried, don't worry, any large number of kids being produced by Muslims is compensated by the lack of kids being produced by westerners.

Uthman
08-26-2007, 11:57 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by beespreeteam
Anyway, man the source doesn't work ><
Should be working now Inshaa'Allah. :)

:w:

MTAFFI
08-27-2007, 08:43 PM
My family was a strict catholic family, no one, except me, even married anyone who wasnt already catholic, you dont even want to know how many family members I have

Catholics dont believe in birth control, is all i will say

Isambard
08-28-2007, 12:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Hey people, Isambard is actually right, the Prophet did encourage us to have many children alhamdulillah.

There is, for example, the hadith of the Messenger encouraging us to have kids so that he can have the biggest ummah on the day of Judgement...

Isambard, if you are that worried, don't worry, any large number of kids being produced by Muslims is compensated by the lack of kids being produced by westerners.
Not really. The amount of kids is still over and this applies to Christians as well.

I dont know why but there seems to be some sort of competition between the two groups to see who can pump out the most kids....at the expense of ecological stability...

Well I hope whomever wins enjoys their pyrrhic victory.

Malaikah
08-28-2007, 09:00 AM

Actually if people don't have kids it is bad news for the society because after a while they get stuck with an ageing population, in other words, too many old people, not enough young people to keep the society running.

Uthman
08-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Actually if people don't have kids it is bad news for the society because after a while they get stuck with an ageing population, in other words, too many old people, not enough young people to keep the society running.
Like China with their 'One child' policy.

Isambard
08-28-2007, 04:14 PM

Better than continue with expanding a population that is already unsustainable.

alibaba
08-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Islam is very wise religion

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.