/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Suicide survey

جوري
08-25-2007, 12:00 AM
I am conducting a survey on suicide, please just vote, you don't have to write, unless it is general comments, I'd like to keep this anonymous.. just vote under the correct gender..
I appreciate your help
thank you
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
princessz
08-25-2007, 12:32 AM
Wouldn't you still see who chose which answer?

Woodrow
08-25-2007, 12:36 AM
The Public Poll permits everybody to see who voted. On this one nobody, not even us Blue people can see who voted. Just the totals show.

جوري
08-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Thank you

btw the first two, I couldn't fit in the whole question, which should be that one either sought help, or changed mind last minute...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
08-25-2007, 12:58 AM
i was very suicidal for many years when i was younger, and gave it a great deal of thought but never tried it because i was too chicken.
and now i wouldn't trade my life for anything.

جوري
08-25-2007, 01:03 AM
I find it hard to believe that some people out there have never thought about it, it was like a filler question to be politically correct ( thought the bulk would go for the first two)... everyone thinks about it..
peace!

snakelegs
08-25-2007, 01:06 AM
me too. i would think we all have these moments. maybe it is because so many people are kids here? (though i got an early start!).
surely everyone has known moments of utter despair and hopelessness?

Woodrow
08-25-2007, 01:15 AM
Looking back at it I do not think I have ever met a person who had not suicidal thoughts at least once in their life. But out of the very many people I have met I believe only a very small percentage had ever actually made any attempts.

Most people think it, only a few ever try.

جوري
08-25-2007, 01:23 AM
there was a study that recently came out hypothecating that though in teenagers suicide is the number three cause of death, and motor vehicle accidents are number one.. that, they are in fact not 'accidents' at all which would move it to number one--but no one has conme forth to prove it...
Also most if not all will seek help from a professional, though they will not outwardly say I have suicidal ideation, they will give signs in the forms of symptoms hoping someone picks up on it ( usually the women get diagnosed correctly) but men don't...
Women attempt suicide more than men but men are more successful at it!

Pk_#2
08-25-2007, 10:23 AM
I am a male, I thought about it, had a plan and sought help, without acting.

1 10.00% I am a female I thought about it, had a plan and sought help, without acting.

0 0% I am a male who has thought about it, but didn't act on it

1 10.00% I am a female who has thought about it, but didn't act on it

4 40.00% I am a male who has never thought about it

4 40.00% I am a female who has never thought about it

0 0%

^^ das me, i voted for the 'liars' out der, Tsk, check out the dudes, i have helped alot of brothers who wanted to suicide, it makes you a man if you admit to it :X ;D

strider
08-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Aren't you missing an option?

"I am a male/female, I thought about it, had a plan and attempted it."

Uthman
08-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Finally. A reason to use this emoticon.

abs
08-25-2007, 12:53 PM
I am a male who has thought about it, but didn't act on it

ahsan28
08-25-2007, 01:01 PM
I am a male who has never thought about it

Sarada
08-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Another question to add to your poll":

"I am a male/female who thought about suicide, had a plan, sought help, and then attempted it."

I know of someone who did not attempt suicide until after several years on ever increasing dosages of numerous anti-depressants. The conventional form of pharmaceutical treatments continued to worsen the situation, until s/he withdrew from all the medication and found alternate medical treatment.

Side effects of SSRI's include suicide (although this is down played by the pharmaceutical industry)

They can also cause permanent debilitating physical side effects.

abs
08-25-2007, 01:21 PM
did u

Strzelecki
08-25-2007, 01:44 PM
I am Male who has definitely thought about it, but didn't seek any kind of help.
Alhamdilillah it hasn't even factored in my mind in a very long time. :)

Sarada
08-25-2007, 05:06 PM
What do you hope to gain by this poll?

جوري
08-25-2007, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarada
What do you hope to gain by this poll?
research I am doing, this by no means is a scientific poll -- I just wanted to get a general idea how the Muslims would vote, compared to the regular accepted statistics ...

Pk_#2
08-25-2007, 05:50 PM
An (LSH) Li Suicide Helpline maybe?

:oS

جوري
08-25-2007, 06:02 PM
1-I got more reponses than I thought I would thank you
Quick note about the poll ( I couldn't fit all the questions I wanted in the limited space) bros. woodrow did help alot and I thank him
2- My brother's friend committed suicide when he was in high school, that was some 17 years ago, he was a Muslim, thus I don't think anyone is immune from going over the edge.. sad thing is his mother never got resolution-- I saw her the other day, she has grand kids by her other son -- but she has never seemed whole.. in the beginning she used to gather around anyone who remotely saw or knew him not his friends to try to understand why?...
3- about anti-depressants.. indeed many SSRI's are implicated in suicides, hence folks need therapy along with medication but they are better than the older meds some which are implicated in such dangerous and lethal arrhythmia the likes of Torsades de pointes especially when mixed with other drugs some as remote as (anti-histamine) allergy pills .. further, if you knew the most accepted and number one treatment for depression most folks would protest it.. in fact it is Electric shock therapy.. and it is nothing like they show in the movies.. it is actually very effective and the number one side affect is short term memory loss, 6-12 treatments have proven curative-- but people wouldn't opt for that because of the stigma.. either way I think it is up to the patient and the psychiatrist to decide...
thank you for your participation...

The Ruler
08-25-2007, 06:02 PM
:sl:

I'm a female who... Didn't exactly think about it... But, I did wonder about it. But it appeared pathetic and stupid. So I dropped it. Eurgh.

Neelam92
08-25-2007, 06:20 PM
im a female, i thought about it, planned it but didnt do it!

Sarada
08-25-2007, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
1-I
2- My brother's friend committed suicide when he was in high school, that was some 17 years ago, he was a Muslim, thus I don't think anyone is immune from going over the edge.. sad thing is his mother never got resolution-- I saw her the other day, she has grand kids by her other son -- but she has never seemed whole.. in the beginning she used to gather around anyone who remotely saw or knew him not his friends to try to understand why?...

My first husband committed suicide almost 35 years ago. Please extend my compassion and empathy to that grieving mother. Suicide creates so many unanswered questions and guilt feelings in the loved ones left behind. The pain seems to be never ending. Tell her that, as a mother, I know she did everything she could to make her son happy, and that she could not have prevented his death. For whatever reason, it was inevitable, and I am sure that Allah (swt) in his mercy has forgiven him.

Neelam92
08-25-2007, 06:30 PM
i dunno why but why does it seem as tho mainly teenagers commit suicide!!!

ahsan28
08-25-2007, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Neelam92

CZ they are the ones having problems of the heart.

Neelam92
08-25-2007, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28
CZ they are the ones having problems of the heart.
im sorry bro i dont understand wat u mean 'problems of the heart'....:hmm:

ahsan28
08-25-2007, 06:45 PM
I meant failures in the affairs, which agitate their minds, resultantly they suffer from emtional tantrums and go over the brim. Such tendency may be due to other factors like inability to achieve perceived goals in life and tussles and tensions within families etc etc.

جوري
08-25-2007, 06:45 PM
My first husband committed suicide almost 35 years ago. Please extend my compassion and empathy to that grieving mother. Suicide creates so many unanswered questions and guilt feelings in the loved ones left behind. The pain seems to be never ending. Tell her that, as a mother, I know she did everything she could to make her son happy, and that she could not have prevented his death. For whatever reason, it was inevitable, and I am sure that Allah (swt) in his mercy has forgiven him.
Wow.. I am really sorry..
I feel rather awkward around the lady.. she always wants for conversation, and I am just so mute around her.. I was very very young at the time, thus I don't feel it appropriate to bring it up...I'll never forget that day though.. and how my brother almost lost it.. he locked himself in his room for days not eating, just making prayers for that kid.. he had a very violent death too.. it was too horrid for anyone to imagine..

Anyhow at the end of this, I'll post some suicide facts, so that people may recognize them in their friends or loved ones.. it isn't like the sterotypes or what floats around as facts-- thus I just want to make a quick note.. that depression is a disease, no different than having diabetes or high blood pressure.. can only be compounded by feelings of guilt and stigma ..
anyhow the poll is running along the lines of the general population slightly skewed but given the limited number of participants, I think it is not that much different..
thank you and peace!

Woodrow
08-25-2007, 06:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Neelam92
simple--- suicide prevents them from ever becoming adults who commit suicide.

By the time you reach older years there are fewer remaining people that are predisposistioned for suicide. they have done it before they can become an adult statistics.

barney
08-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Bah sorry. I voted before i read PA's post on she was wanting a muslim veiw.

Scratch off one male who has never thought of it please.

جوري
08-25-2007, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Bah sorry. I voted before i read PA's post on she was wanting a muslim veiw.

Scratch off one male who has never thought of it please.
No it is fine..
Sister's of mercy and no thoughts of suicide? interesting ;D
Your mother must have been Russia?

peace!

Woodrow
08-25-2007, 07:22 PM
The poll seems to be reflecting what would be found in the world average.

Thoughts of suicide are quite common. Typically they are no problem, just a fleeting thought with no real idea of intent.

The problem comes about when they become obsessive thoughts, frequnt or even troubling. that is the time a person needs to seek professional help immediatly.

strangly, most suicide thoughts are not the result of a psychological disorder, physical disorders are the most common cause. there are so many physical causes of suicidal thoughts that a medical library could be filled by them. then you have the effects of some medications and of many illegal drug that often bring them about.

The sad part is most are treatable, very easily.

Neelam92
08-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Suicide "Signs"

Extreme personality changes
Loss of interest in activities that used to be enjoyable
Significant loss or gain in appetite
Difficulty falling asleep or wanting to sleep all day
Fatigue or loss of energy
Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
Withdrawal from family and friends
Neglect of personal appearance or hygiene
Sadness, irritability, or indifference
Having trouble concentrating
Extreme anxiety or panic
Drug or alcohol use or abuse
Aggressive, destructive, or defiant behavior
Poor school performance
Hallucinations or unusual beliefs

Sarada
08-25-2007, 09:36 PM
that depression is a disease, no different than having diabetes or high blood pressure.. can only be compounded by feelings of guilt and stigma ..
The best thing you can do for a person you believe may be suicidal, is TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY. Do not judge, do not think they are just trying to get attention, and be supportive.

Sarada
08-25-2007, 09:43 PM
I find it very significant that twice as many men said they have never thought about suicide, than women.

What do you think causes such a big discrepancy? Do you think women feel more helpless, or do you think its because men tend to act out more? Or could there be other reasons?

جوري
08-25-2007, 09:50 PM
The statistics are somewhat true to life, women think about suicide more than men, but men are more successful at suicide than women.
All patients will seek help from a doctor but it will not be picked up on.. more women are likely to be diagnosed with depression than men who might be given a different diagnosis.. and contrary to popular belief men's success isn't due to the fact that they use violent weapons while women prefer a gentler way.. in fact when serious about it, they will both go for a hand gun. That is most popular amongst both sexes according to the DSM-IV...
however men will aim differently than women.. a man will go for the temples or the mouth, where as a woman might aim for her chest... 'vanity to the end' but studies have shown that women prefer to have their face in tact even in death lol-- I joke of course but this is no laughing matter...
The most successful group over all in committing suicide are elderly men who have been diagnosed with a terminal illness and have no support system.. or have lost a spouse... of course if someone can prove that teenagers dying in motor vehicle accidents aren't really just bad drunken drivers but in fact ending their life, it might tip the scale in a different direction....

peace!

princessz
08-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Many times I've thought about it, but never really acted on it. I vent my anger and distress in writing, now I have books upon books of it. I don't do that anymore, I'm very happy in my life alhamdulillah.

Woodrow
08-26-2007, 12:50 AM
I find it very significant that twice as many men said they have never thought about suicide, than women.

What do you think causes such a big discrepancy? Do you think women feel more helpless, or do you think its because men tend to act out more? Or could there be other reasons?
My own personal guess is that us men view suicide differently. we have a different connotation as to what the word means. We tend to think in terms of preserving our macho image so the thoughts a woman would label as thoughts of suicide, a man labels as being thoughts of manly anger.

We are egotistical critters and try to suppress what we think is weakness even to ourselves.

ahsan28
08-26-2007, 07:14 AM

Do you think women feel more helpless, or do you think its because men tend to act out more? Or could there be other reasons?

Generally speaking, women are seen as more emotional ones. Though, human beings are full of emotions, both men and women have emotions, same types of emotions but are expressed in different ways. Women tend to be more expressive and less controlling of their emotions whereas men tend to bottle up their emotions, women being sensitive about small little things that men might disregard or having no acknowledge.

Women tend to take congenial as always true.

Women take everything to heart.

Being emotional shows weakness. Men don't want to be considered "weak" :D

E'jaazi
08-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Never thought about it. Suicide is haram.

shible
08-27-2007, 06:00 AM
Assalamu Alaikkum(warah)

I have had a feeling in my Early Years when i was suffering from a very heavy Headache. Sometime it lasts for more than four days continously.

I thought of jumping from my balcony. Then i never had the strength to reach the Balcony.

Well it was once and now i knew how life is.....

So working on it......

snakelegs
08-27-2007, 07:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by E'jaazi
Never thought about it. Suicide is haram.
of course it is haram. but this does not negate the fact the muslims, just like other mortals, sometimes have their moments of utter despair, of feeling very far away from god.
just because it is haram, is all the more reason why it should be talked about. wanting to kill yourself sometime in your life is nothing to be ashamed of - it is a human emotion, when a person is lost and desperate.

shible
08-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Wat abt the Muslim who commits it due to lack of Knowledge abt it?

Wat if the locality in which he stay's is not much aware of ISLAM.

Wat if he was directed in the wrong Path.

Wat if he was dragged for such a situation....

transition?
01-20-2008, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible
Wat abt the Muslim who commits it due to lack of Knowledge abt it?

Wat if the locality in which he stay's is not much aware of ISLAM.

Wat if he was directed in the wrong Path.

Wat if he was dragged for such a situation....
I think about it too much, since I was 8 it's always what I start thinking about. imsad Yeah, until I realized I always chose suicide because I was too lazy to do the duties of a Muslim. It's pretty stupid. I think I bring it up because I'd rather whine and complain about life than take any action or have patience. Laziness makes you want to blame it on God, but really I put myself in the situations. I think of all the times I should have been studying Islam and doing good to increase my faith so when the test finally arrived I would be ready. If its not a test, then I probably made my own mistakes and messed up a good opportunity into a big fat regret/ problem.
blaming it on God and then thinking of suicide is reflection of my weak faith sometimes b/c I don't have enough knowledge about Islam.

imsad
But I HAVE A PLAN ! A PLAN TO LEARN!

Ninth_Scribe
01-20-2008, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i was very suicidal for many years when i was younger, and gave it a great deal of thought but never tried it because i was too chicken.
and now i wouldn't trade my life for anything.
I wanted to die when I was 11 years old, and wasn't chicken, but God (or one of his angels) told me not to. I'm still not very "hot" for this world, but I take comfort in the idea that this "endurance trial" is very temporary.

The Ninth Scribe

shible
01-21-2008, 03:40 AM

When it comes to India on this thought.

Most women use to cut down the friends circle to a limited number and thus later they feel whether to trust her or not.

All their thoughts revolve around each and every second. There is no way that she could get diverted by anything from those thoughts happening in her.

On such Moments She remembers only those days which made her feel guilty and people around her stamped her as guilty.

Thus this leads to emotional breakdown and deep deepression...

Which takes her to the end of Road

Amat Allah
01-21-2008, 08:48 AM
I am a female , I thought about it, had a

plan and attempted it twice.

I am a suicidal but I found the cure wa

alhamdo lellah to control the inverterate

desire of hurting my self and ending my

life.

Allah was my cure .

the worship of Allah ,

Dua`a and Adeker were my cure and still.

Alhamdo lellah.

Roasted Cashew
01-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Wow, I never thought that so many of you have actually thought of Suicide before. Me? NEVER!. Since young, I used to hate suicide BUT maybe because Islam teaches it's haram and therefore it never came across my mind. I would often get angry when I read that people commit suicide but again it might be because Islam teaches it's haram. I always looked at suicide with an Islamic lens and my reactions and thoughts about it have always been influenced by Islamic teachings. Never really looked at it from a different point of view.

Mikayeel
01-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Salam 3alekum, am a male (duuh) but i had the ideas but never ever will i even think of attempting to do it.... i fear the hereafter, but on the otherside i cant wait to see the here after....(not by killing my self though)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.