/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper Suspended for Mocking Jesus

Sami Zaatari
08-25-2007, 03:22 AM
Christians and westerners have always been asking well whatf Jesus or Moses gets insulted would Muslims take some action? this should answer the Q:

By JULIA ZAPPEI, Associated Press Writer
Fri Aug 24, 6:15 AM ET

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia's government ordered a Tamil-language daily to immediately halt publication for a month Friday as punishment for printing an image of Jesus Christ holding a cigarette, an official with the newspaper said.

ADVERTISEMENT

S.M. Periasamy, general manager of Makkal Osai, which caters to Malaysia's ethnic Indian minority, said his office received the directive by fax from the Internal Security Ministry.

"Of course we are shocked by this. My entire staff are all in tears. They will lose a month of income," Periasamy said, adding that the newspaper would abide by the order but plans to appeal the suspension.

Ministry officials in this Muslim-majority nation could not immediately be reached for comment.

The newspaper had said it published the photo by mistake Tuesday and carried a front-page apology Thursday.

Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said Thursday that the picture was hurtful and an insult to Christians. Kuala Lumpur archbishop, Murphy Pakiam, criticized the picture as a "desecration," but later accepted the newspaper's apology.

Ethnic Indians comprise 10 percent of Malaysia's 26 million people, and are mostly Hindus with a sprinkling of Christians and Muslims. Chinese, who follow Christianity and Buddhism, make up 25 percent, while Malay Muslims comprise 60 percent.

Malaysia's newspapers operate under government licenses that bar them from publishing potentially provocative material on religion, race and other topics.

On Thursday, Periasamy said a graphic artist — who has since been suspended — downloaded a picture of Jesus from the Internet for use along with a quote from the Bible on the paper's front page on Tuesday. But the artist overlooked the fact that the picture had been altered to insert a cigarette in one hand and another object — a can or a book — in the other, he said.

The Malaysian Indian Congress, a party in Malaysia's ruling coalition, had called on the government to close the paper, which is generally critical of the MIC.

Makkal Osai is one of two Tamil-language newspapers catering to Malaysia's largely Tamil-speaking ethnic Indians. The other newspaper is aligned with the MIC.

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070824/...4P6.2EaDFn.3QA)

if only the Christian west could behave as civilized and kind as this, this really puts the west to shame big time.

Good job Malaysia....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cognescenti
08-25-2007, 08:20 PM
"Good job Malaysia" :muddlehea

Are you kidding? Where did any Christian demand or even ask that the paper be shut down? Were any building torched? Anyone lynched? Do you think anyone in the US or Europe even cares?

You have drawn exactly the wrong conclusion. The conclusion to draw is the level-headed response of the potentially offended party.

Amadeus85
08-25-2007, 08:21 PM
I think that offending any religious feelings is very bad.

guyabano
08-25-2007, 09:10 PM
I can assure you, on my place where I live, I follow the news of France, Belgium, UK, Germany, Netherland, etc... and it was even not mentionned in the news, neither TV, Radio or written Press. I'm sure, just few local christians in Malaysia complain abou that.
People here don't go on barricades immediately, torch buildings, flags, ask for public apologizing or call for Jihad

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amadeus85
08-25-2007, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
I can assure you, on my place where I live, I follow the news of France, Belgium, UK, Germany, Netherland, etc... and it was even not mentionned in the news, neither TV, Radio or written Press. I'm sure, just few local christians in Malaysia complain abou that.
People here don't go on barricades immediately, torch buildings, flags, ask for public apologizing or call for Jihad
Yes you are right. People here got used to these kind of things. They dont care mostly/

Cognescenti
08-26-2007, 12:46 AM
After publicly funded exhibitions of Robert Mapplethopre photos and the "Madonna in dung", Jesus with a cigarette is a full-on yawner.

Trumble
08-26-2007, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
if only the Christian west could behave as civilized and kind as this, this really puts the west to shame big time.

Good job Malaysia....
Hardly. The restriction of freedom of expression merely to avoid "offence" is to be condemned wherever it occurs, and has nothing to do with being 'civilised'. I'm also curious as to what might have happened had Jesus/Isa not been such a significant figure in Islam.

Part of the reason why such restriction should be avoided is clearly shown in what you quote.

The Malaysian Indian Congress, a party in Malaysia's ruling coalition, had called on the government to close the paper, which is generally critical of the MIC.
"Generally critical"? Why should the paper be 'closed'? They have apologised, that is sufficient... but any such incident is a wedge in the door to far greater abuse than any "offence". If either muslim or Christian was "offended", throw the paper away, don't buy it again if you feel that strongly - and get over it. Before all newspapers not under government control are "closed" on some pretext or another.

3ARABY_2005
08-26-2007, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
Christians and westerners have always been asking well whatf Jesus or Moses gets insulted would Muslims take some action? this should answer the Q:

By JULIA ZAPPEI, Associated Press Writer
Fri Aug 24, 6:15 AM ET

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia's government ordered a Tamil-language daily to immediately halt publication for a month Friday as punishment for printing an image of Jesus Christ holding a cigarette, an official with the newspaper said.

ADVERTISEMENT

S.M. Periasamy, general manager of Makkal Osai, which caters to Malaysia's ethnic Indian minority, said his office received the directive by fax from the Internal Security Ministry.

"Of course we are shocked by this. My entire staff are all in tears. They will lose a month of income," Periasamy said, adding that the newspaper would abide by the order but plans to appeal the suspension.

Ministry officials in this Muslim-majority nation could not immediately be reached for comment.

The newspaper had said it published the photo by mistake Tuesday and carried a front-page apology Thursday.

Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said Thursday that the picture was hurtful and an insult to Christians. Kuala Lumpur archbishop, Murphy Pakiam, criticized the picture as a "desecration," but later accepted the newspaper's apology.

Ethnic Indians comprise 10 percent of Malaysia's 26 million people, and are mostly Hindus with a sprinkling of Christians and Muslims. Chinese, who follow Christianity and Buddhism, make up 25 percent, while Malay Muslims comprise 60 percent.

Malaysia's newspapers operate under government licenses that bar them from publishing potentially provocative material on religion, race and other topics.

On Thursday, Periasamy said a graphic artist — who has since been suspended — downloaded a picture of Jesus from the Internet for use along with a quote from the Bible on the paper's front page on Tuesday. But the artist overlooked the fact that the picture had been altered to insert a cigarette in one hand and another object — a can or a book — in the other, he said.

Makkal Osai is one of two Tamil-language newspapers catering to Malaysia's largely Tamil-speaking ethnic Indians. The other newspaper is aligned with the MIC.

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070824/...4P6.2EaDFn.3QA)

Good job Malaysia....

GOOD JOB MALAYSIA

JAZAKUMULLAH KHAIR OUR BRO

KAding
08-26-2007, 06:27 PM
This is a bad. Newspapers should not be closed down for something trivial like printing Jesus with a cigarette.

SATalha
08-26-2007, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
This is a bad. Newspapers should not be closed down for something trivial like printing Jesus with a cigarette.

Whats trivial for you, might not be trivial for someone else. Not everything is mesured by western standrads you know. This globe does have an East side.........sorry iam going a bit off track.;D

wilberhum
08-27-2007, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Yes you are right. People here got used to these kind of things. They dont care mostly/
I think sometimes people don't understand the difference between "Don't Care" and "Tolerance".

Zman
08-29-2007, 12:26 AM
:sl:

Non-Muslims only go on a rampage during football matches, wrong verdicts verdicts during a sensitive trial, cops killing non-Muslim minorities, the French torching cars during their last strike over labor laws (not the first riot, were many non-Muslims participated in the riots).

Who would like to list all the riots and violent acts that took place in Western nations by non-Muslims, where there was destruction of private & public property, injuries, loss of life, and their religion wasn't even whispered?

Can I hear hypocrisy and double standards, please...

Isambard
08-29-2007, 03:31 AM
How is holding a cigarette offensive? Honestly, this is ridiculous

Zman
08-29-2007, 03:43 AM

Maybe the Image of Jesus (PBUH) was the deciding factor, and not the smokes.

Muslims aren't allowed to draw, paint or sculpt images of the Prophets (Peace Be Upon Them)...

Pygoscelis
08-29-2007, 08:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SATalha
Whats trivial for you, might not be trivial for someone else. Not everything is mesured by western standrads you know. This globe does have an East side.........sorry iam going a bit off track.;D
Indeed. The globe does have an east side. That's where they practice confucionism and buddhism right? :D

Pygoscelis
08-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Jesus holding a cigarette is NOTHING. Anybody remember "piss christ" from a few years back? Now that I can see as being offensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

And the US government supported that one with PUBLIC FUNDS!

guyabano
08-29-2007, 08:32 AM
IMHO, It is not offending to show Jesus with a cigarette. But why a cigarette? THAT is offending. Jesus with a bottle of coke would have been more funny.

Pygoscelis
08-29-2007, 08:39 AM
You bring up a good point. I wonder why more advertising campaigns don't latch on to Jesus. The secular people would balk at it but would the religious people do likewise? Maybe. I'm not sure.

Isambard
08-29-2007, 04:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman

Maybe the Image of Jesus (PBUH) was the deciding factor, and not the smokes.

Muslims aren't allowed to draw, paint or sculpt images of the Prophets (Peace Be Upon Them)...
There's none of that in christianity. Just seems like some folks are being whiney

north_malaysian
08-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Religion is a very sensitive issue in Malaysia...

During the Danish cartoon controversies... 2 newspapers were banned.

Of course there are complaints from Christians, but the most hostile against Makkal Osai is the Hindu-dominated MIC (Malaysian Indian Congress).

Why? Makkal Osai is the most critical newspaper against MIC. They are presurring the government to ban the newspaper as the election is coming soon.

Woodrow
08-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I've been having to remove too many posts in this thread.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.