/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Interest in Islam

amille40
08-25-2007, 06:00 PM
I am a 20 year old student in Baltimore Maryland. I recently bought a copy of the Qur'an in english, and read it all the way through. It struck a chord with me, and I have been very interested in researching more about Islam. I think at this point I am interested in converting, but I have run into a problem.

I searched the internet to find local mosques to me, and found a few in Baltimore. However none of their contact information seems to work. I wanted to ask a few questions before I went there, so I wasn't walking in uninformed. Now Im not really sure what to do next. Any advice?

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
08-25-2007, 09:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amille40
I am a 20 year old student in Baltimore Maryland. I recently bought a copy of the Qur'an in english, and read it all the way through. It struck a chord with me, and I have been very interested in researching more about Islam. I think at this point I am interested in converting, but I have run into a problem.

I searched the internet to find local mosques to me, and found a few in Baltimore. However none of their contact information seems to work. I wanted to ask a few questions before I went there, so I wasn't walking in uninformed. Now Im not really sure what to do next. Any advice?

Thanks
You may be able to contact somebody here. Sometimes it is difficult to find when an Imam will be at the Mosques. Most Imams work and are only at the Mosques for prayer times.

Islamic Society of Baltimore, Masjid Al-Rahmah, 6631 Johnnycake Rd., Baltimore, Maryland 21244
Phone: +1 410-747-4869, School Phone: +1 410-719-0921
Internet:http://www.isb.org/main.htm

you may also be able to get information about other Mosques closer to you from them.

Here is a listing for all of the mosques in the Baltimore area. The best time to get in touch with somebody is about 30 minutes prior to the prayer times.

http://www.aaagw.org/Washington/mosq...ic_centers.htm

If you click on any of the links you should be able to get the Prayer times. They should be the same at all of them in that area.

Muslim Woman
08-27-2007, 01:32 AM
Salaam/peace;

... I wanted to ask a few questions before I went there,
welcome to the forum :D

u may ask any question about Islam here . InshaAllah ( God Willing ) , participants will
ans :)

some org arrange mosque visit programme. Link was given in related threads...visit mosque. U may try to contact them

verses we all need for this life & the hereafter

God invites [man] unto the abode of peace, and guides him that wills onto a straight way.

-Quran (10:25)

Md Mashud
08-27-2007, 01:47 AM
I am interested in converting
Mashallah, if you have any questions or queries, please feel free to PM me regarding anything - I would inshallah try my best to give you a detailed answer. I am sure you will find many brothers and sisters here willing to help! Welcome :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
amille40
08-27-2007, 03:47 AM
Thanks for your help :) I will give the Islamic Center a call sometime this week when I'm free.

Ill let you know how it goes!

UmmSqueakster
08-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried looking in the phonebook for more up to date info on the masjids you've found? Unfortunately, lots of the internet directories are horribly out of date. You may also want to call the people at Why Islam. They have contacts with mosques and muslims all over the country, and inshaAllah can help hook you up with people in your area.

IProfess is an excellent website that's chock full of info for converts and people interested in converting to Islam. In particular, you may want to check out this page which is geared towards how to convert to islam.

Do stop back and let us know how things go. :D

UmmSqueakster
08-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Also, if you're in college, have you checked to see if your school has an MSA (muslim student assocation)? They're usually registered student organizations, and may be listed on your school's homepage.

Plus, then there will be people your age who can "adopt" you, ready made friends and people to turn to for support and advice in real life.

amille40
08-31-2007, 09:06 PM
Well I gave the Baltimore Islamic Center a call today, and hopefully I can figure out the bus route enough to get there this weekend. :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-03-2007, 02:24 AM
MashaAllah, thats wonderful news. Do let us know how everything goes. Good luck!

Peace :)

amille40
09-06-2007, 03:25 AM
Well I (reverted/converted?) today to Islam. :) It was a very good experience!

Since then I have been trying to practice learning the prayers. Its verfy difficult because arabic is so foreign to my tongue!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-10-2007, 10:37 PM
MashaAllah brother! Welcome to Islam! Allahu Akbar!
May Allah keep you amongst the righteous InshaAllah, Ameen! :)

Woodrow
09-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Mashallah, welcome home. You will soon feel that you have always been part of the Ummah, if you do not already.

Just take your time with Arabic, and learn the proper Qur'anic. Very soon you will discover, it actually comes very natural. One of the best things to get you started in to read a Surah in English while listening to the recitation in Arabic.

Muslim Woman
09-12-2007, 01:34 AM
:sl:

Well I (reverted/converted?) today to Islam. :) It was a very good experience!

Since then I have been trying to practice learning the prayers. Its verfy difficult because arabic is so foreign to my tongue!

Alhamdulillah

welcome to Islam bro :D

u may listen to some short Surah/chapters of holy Quran few times.

InshaAllah God Willing ...u will learn quickly.

I read in a revert story that s/he used power point presentation in computer while praying ...lol :smile:

amille40
09-13-2007, 12:55 PM
I have the motions memorized, but of course have difficulty with the words of prayer, since I dont know any arabic ;)

Soulja Girl
09-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Wow, I'm proud of you brother! :) Inshallah, you'll be able to learn Arabic soon...

:w:

MustafaMc
09-15-2007, 04:17 AM
I have the motions memorized, but of course have difficulty with the words of prayer, since I dont know any arabic ;)
All praise and thanks are due to Allah (Alhamdulillah) for guiding you to the Straight Path (Sirat al-Mustaqueem). My heart is over joyed at your becoming a Muslim. I, too, am a revert to Islam (1982) and I welcome you.

I mostly learned to pray on my own by reading "Islam in Focus". Only recently have I begun to learn Arabic and how I had been mispronouncing the Arabic. I have found several programs that have helped me learn proper pronunciation including Al-Qari http://soundvision.com/info/alqari/ and Al-Kuttab Recitation http://www.dar-us-salam.com/store/ma..._Code=Software

I have also found that the transliteration of Arabic into English letters helps me learn.
http://www.dar-us-salam.com/store/ma...Code=Eng_Quran

If you can find someone to help you, that is even a better way to learn.

Try your best, but be patient with yourself.

Woodrow
09-15-2007, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
All praise and thanks are due to Allah (Alhamdulillah) for guiding you to the Straight Path (Sirat al-Mustaqueem). My heart is over joyed at your becoming a Muslim. I, too, am a revert to Islam (1982) and I welcome you.

I mostly learned to pray on my own by reading "Islam in Focus". Only recently have I begun to learn Arabic and how I had been mispronouncing the Arabic. I have found several programs that have helped me learn proper pronunciation including Al-Qari http://soundvision.com/info/alqari/ and Al-Kuttab Recitation http://www.dar-us-salam.com/store/ma..._Code=Software

I have also found that the transliteration of Arabic into English letters helps me learn.
http://www.dar-us-salam.com/store/ma...Code=Eng_Quran

If you can find someone to help you, that is even a better way to learn.

Try your best, but be patient with yourself.
Many of us here are reverts. I had thought at one time of doing a thread for us reverts to post our experiences. But, I realized, that would mean we see ourselves as "different". There is only one Islam and all of us are the same as Muslims. It makes no difference if we are 100 years old and were born Muslim or if we said the Shahadah this very second. we are the same and of the same Ummah. We have returned home and our Brothers and Sisters were waiting with joy for us.

Muslim Woman
09-16-2007, 02:26 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Many of us here are reverts. I had thought at one time of doing a thread for us reverts to post our experiences.
bro , i think it's a wonderful idea :)

surely Reverts are better than us ( born Muslims ) . U have got a chance to start ur life as a sinless baby...wooow MashaAllah.

MustafaMc
09-16-2007, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Many of us here are reverts. I had thought at one time of doing a thread for us reverts to post our experiences. But, I realized, that would mean we see ourselves as "different". There is only one Islam and all of us are the same as Muslims. It makes no difference if we are 100 years old and were born Muslim or if we said the Shahadah this very second. we are the same and of the same Ummah. We have returned home and our Brothers and Sisters were waiting with joy for us.
Yes, brother, I agree with you that before Allah we are indeed the same. However, the specific situations of our birth and our life experiences do make us different. It took me a long time to overcome the natural inclination to associate with others who are culturally and physically most like us and to become used to being the only Caucasian American in a masjid praying. Now, I see that I am more similar in my innermost being to the same people that I earlier felt different from (non-white and/or non-American) than the ones that I earlier felt were most like me (white American). I am a Muslim first and foremost.

omar_2133
09-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Well I (reverted/converted?) today to Islam. It was a very good experience!
May I offer my deepest and sincerest congratulations on your choice of the true path! May Allah guide you.

Don't worry, you are not alone! Even though I was born a Muslim, it was some time since I learned the proper Arabic words in prayer, and the tongue felt a little alien to me. But after a few dedicated self-practise sessions, I managed to master it and soon it was quite natural to me.

One of my tips in learning the Surahs or words, is breaking the whole thing down and learning it in chunks. For example, you might not be able to swallow the whole Fathihah or Surah in one go, but you can read one line of it, memorize it, and constantly recite it in the first day, and then repeat the same with the first and second lines in the second day, and so on...

Or you could stick it on the wall, and write the English transliteration of the Arabic in colourful writing to help stimulate the brain and make it easier for you to remember it. After some time, it will soon sink in.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.