/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Letters reveal Mother Teresa's despair

Showkat
08-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Letters reveal Mother Teresa's despair
http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/...section=justin

A book of letters written by Mother Teresa of Calcutta reveals for the first time that she was deeply tormented about her faith and suffered periods of doubt about God.

"Jesus has a very special love for you. As for me, the silence and the emptiness is so great that I look and do not see, listen and do not hear," she wrote to the Reverend Michael van der Peet in September 1979.
The ethnic Albanian Roman Catholic nun, who dedicated her life to poor, sick and dying in India, died in 1997 aged 87.

Mother Teresa had wanted all her letters destroyed, but the Vatican ordered they be preserved as potential relics of a saint, a spokeswoman for the book's publishers Doubleday said.
Mother Teresa has been beatified but not yet canonised.

The first excerpts from the book were published on the website of Time magazine, which has serial rights.
"I spoke as if my very heart was in love with God - tender, personal love," she wrote to one adviser. "If you were (there), you would have said, 'What hypocrisy'."

The letters stand in marked contrast to her public image as a selfless and tireless minister for the poor who was driven by faith.
"I've never read a saint's life where the saint has such an intense spiritual darkness. No one knew she was that tormented," the Reverend James Martin, an editor at Jesuit magazine America and the author of 'My Life with the Saints', told Time.

The writings address numerous topics, but the ones most likely to create a stir are what Doubleday called the "dark letters."
"Please pray specially for me that I may not spoil His work and that Our Lord may show Himself -- for there is such terrible darkness within me, as if everything was dead," she wrote in 1953. "It has been like this more or less from the time I started 'the work'."

Then in 1956: "Such deep longing for God - and ... repulsed - empty - no faith - no love - no zeal. (Saving) souls holds no attraction - Heaven means nothing - pray for me please that I keep smiling at Him in spite of everything."

And then in 1959: "If there be no God - there can be no soul - if there is no Soul then Jesus - You also are not true."
At times she also found it hard to pray.

"I utter words of community prayers - and try my utmost to get out of every word the sweetness it has to give - but my prayer of union is not there any longer - I no longer pray."

Comment:

As someone said " nothing to be surprised about since the heart and mind can never fully embrace falsehood".

Very sad that the Vatican went against her wishes maybe they had monetary motives , but look how the truth has surfaced about the views of this kind woman, indeed Allah swt is the best planner.

I can understand why doubts crept in regarding her work since instead of reducing poverty and suffering she witnessed increases every year, this is due to the fact that individuals can only alleviate poverty and suffering to a small extent, but states can solve problems comprehensively only a wider scale since they have the resources at their disposal.

I hope Allah swt forgives her sins because I believe she sincerely worked to make the world a better place, but Islam teaches us that deeds based on other than Islam are worthless and anyone who dies after hearing about Islam and the prophethood of Muhammed saw dies sinful.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tania
08-29-2007, 05:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Showkat
I hope Allah swt forgives her sins because I believe she sincerely worked to make the world a better place, but Islam teaches us that deeds based on other than Islam are worthless and anyone who dies after hearing about Islam and the prophethood of Muhammed saw dies sinful.
The human nature. I found natural to have doubts but she solved them. And her work was very hard.
But what you write about what quote its not true at all. I will never ever believe what you wrote there.
We have several religions. Inside of each religion, each human should try his best to do good and have a positive life.

~Juwairiyah~
08-29-2007, 08:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
The human nature. I found natural to have doubts but she solved them. And her work was very hard.
But what you write about what quote its not true at all. I will never ever believe what you wrote there.
We have several religions. Inside of each religion, each human should try his best to do good and have a positive life.
Peace,

“Surely they have disbelieved who say: ‘Allah is the Messiah [Jesus] son of Maryam [Mary].’ But the Messiah said: ‘O Children of Israel! Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.’ Verily, whosoever sets up partners in worship with Allah, then Allah has forbidden Paradise for him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the zaalimoon (polytheists and wrong-doers) there are no helpers.” [al-Maa’idah 5:73]

“And (remember) when Allah will say (on the Day of Resurrection): ‘O ‘Eesa [Jesus], son of Maryam [Mary]! Did you say unto men: ‘Worship me and my mother as two gods besides Allah?’ He will say: ‘Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it. You know what is in my inner-self though I do not know what is in Yours. You, only You, are the All-Knower of all that is hidden and unseen.

Never did I say to them aught except what You (Allah) did command me to say: “Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.” And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them, and You are a Witness to all things.’”[al-Maa’idah 5:116-117]

“Whoever goes right, then he goes right only for the benefit of his ownself. And whoever goes stray, then he goes astray to his own loss…” [al-Isra’ 17:15]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.