/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Afghan women stores make a mark

guyabano
08-27-2007, 08:55 AM
The women's affairs department in the northern Afghan city of Mazar-e Sharif has launched a scheme to help women set up their own retail businesses.

Five shops, owned and run by women, have already opened in the city and the women say the stores are doing well.
The provincial governor is now planning a shopping centre with about 200 shops, exclusively owned by women.
The initiative is also helping customers as many families do not allow their women to enter shops run by men.
Since the Taleban were ousted from Afghanistan, many women have found that gaining or regaining their rights is a long and difficult process.
Yet in some places, they are managing to chip away at patriarchal institutions.

Thriving again

North Afghanistan's biggest city, Mazar-e-Sharif, is trying to put behind it the bloody years from 1997 to 2001, when it was fought over by militias, including the Taleban, and thousands of people were killed in the streets.
Today, this low-rise city, baked by the sun of the central Asian grasslands, is thriving again.
The broad boulevards have been resurfaced with Japanese funding.
Each city roundabout is being designed by a different local business, some with outlandish sculptures as their centre-pieces, and Mazar is the hub of a part of Afghanistan vastly more peaceful and secure than the south or the east.
It remains socially conservative, with most women going about in white or blue burkhas, the all-encompassing veil.
But the provincial women's affairs department has now started a scheme for women to own their own shops, something almost unheard of in Afghanistan.
The five that have so far opened in Mazar-e Sharif are mostly devoted to women's clothing or foodstuffs.

Women's garden

The shop owners are getting good returns, giving them more financial security.
And they appear to be popular with the customers - in conservative Afghanistan, many families do not want their womenfolk entering shops run by men.
And now, the number of such shops is set to soar.
The provincial governor has laid the foundation stone for a complex called Bagh-e-Zanana, or Women's Garden, which will contain about 200 shops owned by women.
Men as well as women will be able to shop there, but officials say their behaviour will be closely monitored.
Some conservative local clerics are unhappy with the moves.
One has said that the new female entrepreneurs are misleading other women, encouraging them to claim freedoms that are inappropriate. But other religious scholars are satisfied with the initiative, arguing that the new commercial activities are a step towards advancing women's role in society.
The new shopping complex is expected to open within weeks.

Source

Some conservative local clerics are unhappy with the moves.
Now why would be some clerics not happy about those moves? Why 'males' don't like to grant women to become more independant and run their own business, specially the Quaran allows it to women?
I wonder if this is not more an 'Ego of men'-matter to try to forbid that or the more conservative opinon 'women belong behind the kettles at the kitchen stove' ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
guyabano
08-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Bump

Ebtisweetsam
08-29-2007, 09:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
[B]

Now why would be some clerics not happy about those moves? Why 'males' don't like to grant women to become more independant and run their own business, specially the Quaran allows it to women?
I wonder if this is not more an 'Ego of men'-matter to try to forbid that or the more conservative opinon 'women belong behind the kettles at the kitchen stove' ?
I agree with you. Good on them for giving them the opportunity to share their skills:thumbs_up

MTAFFI
08-29-2007, 12:59 PM
I wonder what the Taliban will do to these women if they get back in power

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Md Mashud
08-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Please do not judge it as an egoistic view. Allah did not say that women cannot study, or work. Men, have extreme care for the safety and wellbeing of women - Because unfortunatly alot can happen to a women when she is by herself, living in England I can see alot of problems. No, this shouldn't be the case your right, but Islam believes that prevention is better than cure. We don't cover up our women for example because we want to be greedy or "better", but for their protection and ours. People have to see the bigger picture to understand everything and not just start saying we oppress women and are egoistics... a very ignorant stance.

MTAFFI
08-29-2007, 01:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud
Please do not judge it as an egoistic view. Allah did not say that women cannot study, or work. Men, have extreme care for the safety and wellbeing of women - Because unfortunatly alot can happen to a women when she is by herself, living in England I can see alot of problems. No, this shouldn't be the case your right, but Islam believes that prevention is better than cure. We don't cover up our women for example because we want to be greedy or "better", but for their protection and ours. People have to see the bigger picture to understand everything and not just start saying we oppress women and are egoistics... a very ignorant stance.
was this supposed to be in response to my post or the original post? also the word is egotistic (not trying to be a wise guy, just trying to help you out) :)

edit: nevermind i didnt catch the original posters comment at the bottom of the original post... sorry

wilberhum
08-29-2007, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ebtisweetsam
I agree with you. Good on them for giving them the opportunity to share their skills:thumbs_up
If there is any group that needs a break it is Afghan women.

I wish them much sucess.

NobleMuslimUK
08-29-2007, 05:06 PM
This is good news but the larger picture still remains, this is a small number of people making progress while millions still suffer. I wish the foreign occupiers would leave the country alone and get out so they can put the warfare behind them.

wilberhum
08-29-2007, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
This is good news but the larger picture still remains, this is a small number of people making progress while millions still suffer. I wish the foreign occupiers would leave the country alone and get out so they can put the warfare behind them.
And who will protect the women then?

The Taliban? :skeleton:

NobleMuslimUK
08-29-2007, 05:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
And who will protect the women then?

The Taliban? :skeleton:
I dont think the american troops are there to protect anyone, in fact they kill more civilians.

wilberhum
08-29-2007, 05:27 PM
I dont think the american troops are there to protect anyone, in fact they kill more civilians.
By civilians, do you mean the Taliban's famly that they take to war?

Right, fight from a hut that contains you wife(s) and children. :skeleton:

That way when they are killed, so is there famly and then the survivers can say "EVIL Americans", they kill our women and children.
:raging:

NobleMuslimUK
08-29-2007, 05:29 PM
By civilians, do you mean the Taliban's famly that they take to war?

Right, fight from a hut that contains you wife(s) and children. :skeleton:

That way when they are killed, so is there famly and then the survivers can say "EVIL Americans", they kill our women and children.
:raging:
I thought you were an open minded individual being an atheist an all, but I notice you allow nationalism get in the way everytime to see the bigger picture. The American government doesnt care much about its own citizens what makes you think they are good enough to liberate someone across the world.

wilberhum
08-29-2007, 05:45 PM
I thought you were an open minded individual being an atheist an all, but I notice you allow nationalism get in the way everytime to see the bigger picture. The American government doesnt care much about its own citizens what makes you think they are good enough to liberate someone across the world.
Atheist? Can't read? :-\

What makes you think we went to Afhan to liberate anyone? :rollseyes

We went to kill someone. :raging:

wilberhum
08-29-2007, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alibaba
These stories are always exaggerated
Which stories? :rollseyes

Or you just trying to get "Your Count" up? :hmm:

MTAFFI
08-29-2007, 06:39 PM
:ooh: that seems a little bit silly since the taliban were in control for how many years and they hardly put warfare behind them, in fact they established themselves with warfare and oppressive rule which continued until the day they were ousted

NobleMuslimUK
08-29-2007, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
:ooh: that seems a little bit silly since the taliban were in control for how many years and they hardly put warfare behind them, in fact they established themselves with warfare and oppressive rule which continued until the day they were ousted
It was the northern alliance that were conducting warfare and oppressing people, they had check points where women were molested and even raped, people robbed, young boys were solicited for sex and the list goes on. Taliban came into power to liberate people from this using Islamic guidelines. A minority of people and the west frowned upon this idea of an Islamic state following Islamic law. Its the reason to this day there is friction between Iran and America, as Iran claims to be an Islamic state. Taliban is translated students, it was a movement started by students who wanted a stop to all the corruption and warfare.

wilberhum
08-29-2007, 08:24 PM
It was the northern alliance that were conducting warfare and oppressing people, they had check points where women were molested and even raped, people robbed, young boys were solicited for sex and the list goes on. Taliban came into power to liberate people from this using Islamic guidelines..
My sources say the Northern Alliance was formed to combat the Taliban.
Some one has a sequencing problem.
A minority of people and the west frowned upon this idea of an Islamic state following Islamic law.
No the majority of people in the West frowned upon the total brutality of women.
Its the reason to this day there is friction between Iran and America, as Iran claims to be an Islamic state.
The reason for the friction was taking our citizens on US territory (which all embassies are) prisoners for over a year.
Taliban is translated students, it was a movement started by students who wanted a stop to all the corruption and warfare.
Right, such a wonderfull bunch. :skeleton:

Where do you get this idea the the West cares about what the religion is in the ME?

Malaikah
08-30-2007, 12:22 AM
:sl:

I remember one Afghan woman, when being asked if she wanted a job, replied that first let them find her husband a good, a school for her children, etc.

Pretty deep statement.

Wow, how did you manage to make such a long winded conclusion only from their dissatisfaction? Do you even know why they are unhappy? Maybe they are worried about who is looking after the kids? Especially if the husband is working himself, and Afghanistan isn't exactly the richest country, can hey afford or have access to day care?

Think outside the box a little, these people aren't living in the luxury we are used to, there are so many other factors that effect their lives that we have never had to even think of.

guyabano
08-30-2007, 06:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
:sl:

I remember one Afghan woman, when being asked if she wanted a job, replied that first let them find her husband a good, a school for her children, etc.

Pretty deep statement.

Wow, how did you manage to make such a long winded conclusion only from their dissatisfaction? Do you even know why they are unhappy? Maybe they are worried about who is looking after the kids? Especially if the husband is working himself, and Afghanistan isn't exactly the richest country, can hey afford or have access to day care?

Think outside the box a little, these people aren't living in the luxury we are used to, there are so many other factors that effect their lives that we have never had to even think of.
I notice that you also don't live there, but hence, you allow yourself to comment it also.
If the woman with her shop can make more money than the husband in the opion fields, so why he doesn't stay at home and manage the household?
He could perfectly be the one, who change diapers? So, where is the problem?
As I told you already before, it's just an Ego-Matter, nothing more !

zarhad
08-30-2007, 07:01 AM
im so happy to see my counrty trying to do something other then fight eachother...there is alot of good people there but they are just afraid of the bad
even in bamiyan they are making strides with a new female govener of the area its great, inshallah they will not continue to regress but to move forward

zarhad
08-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Guyabano...woman should have the option to work some woman lost there husband and have young children others husbands can not work or do not make enough, options are a good thing, nothing in islam states that a woman cant work, and with the proper family support a woman can work and take care of her home and family, i may not have kids yet but im married and have a home to care for, trust me i know, it is possible

guyabano
08-30-2007, 07:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zarhad
Guyabano...woman should have the option to work some woman lost there husband and have young children others husbands can not work or do not make enough, options are a good thing, nothing in islam states that a woman cant work, and with the proper family support a woman can work and take care of her home and family, i may not have kids yet but im married and have a home to care for, trust me i know, it is possible
Thank you for your words. Of course, it is possible. But most men refuse to accept that for very specific reasons. Women have absolutely more abilities than just standing behind a stove and raise kids. Many political leaders in the west are women, best example Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel.
I'm pretty sure, if women would rule the world, there would be more moral values and peace on this earth.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Can't read? :-\
hmm..

What makes you think we went to Afhan to liberate anyone? :rollseyes
cant spell? :p (jk)

We went to kill someone. :raging:
someone? you mean a whole nation of people, blood thirsty psychotic fool that bush and anyone who even slightly supports his actions

Malaikah
08-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Thank you for your words. Of course, it is possible. But most men refuse to accept that for very specific reasons. Women have absolutely more abilities than just standing behind a stove and raise kids. Many political leaders in the west are women, best example Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel.
And yet where I live many of the most highest achieving female politicians have admitted that they would never have made it as far as they did if they had ever had children. :rollseyes

Btw, no need to trivialise raising kids, it is hard work, and more rewarding than any paid job any day.

I'm pretty sure, if women would rule the world, there would be more moral values and peace on this earth.
Yeh, right. Women can be just as bad as men.

I notice that you also don't live there, but hence, you allow yourself to comment it also.
I commented to tell you to think outside the box. I could live on Mars for all it matters, the comment still stands.

He could perfectly be the one, who change diapers? So, where is the problem?
As if raising kids was only limited to changed diapers... what about breast feeding? It is a very important part of looking after a young child, and that powder stuff doesn't come any where near being as beneficial as the mothers milk.

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
hmm..
cant spell? :p (jk)
Ah you found out. My secret is reviled. :D

someone? you mean a whole nation of people, blood thirsty psychotic fool that bush and anyone who even slightly supports his actions
Na, just someone, OBL. Well OBL and his gang of murders.
Bush, blood thirsty? Why would someone killing thousands of your people make a presedent blood thirsty? Maybe revenge thirsty, but so am I.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-30-2007, 04:37 PM
MashaAllahh, some progress. InshaAllah all goes well..

And yet where I live many of the most highest achieving female politicians have admitted that they would never have made it as far as they did if they had ever had children. :rollseyes

Btw, no need to trivialise raising kids, it is hard work, and more rewarding than any paid job any day.

Yeh, right. Women can be just as bad as men.

I commented to tell you to think outside the box. I could live on Mars for all it matters, the comment still stands.

As if raising kids was only limited to changed diapers... what about breast feeding? It is a very important part of looking after a young child, and that powder stuff doesn't come any where near being as beneficial as the mothers milk.
:thumbs_up

Btw, just because a woman stays home and raises kids, doesnt mean she's any less of a leader. A mother taking proper care of the kids, teaching them the right etiquettes, right from wrong, making sure they're healthy is what makes the people of tomorrow, makng a difference in the world. If thats not a major role, then I must be old fashioned. Chea, I'll take that.

If a woman can't learn to take care of her kids properly or learn to be there for them when they make a mistake, how will she help a nation, or even the world.

Malaikah
08-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Bush, blood thirsty? Why would someone killing thousands of your people make a presedent blood thirsty? Maybe revenge thirsty, but so am I.
Is this a joke?:uuh: Bush is responsible for way more deaths than OBL, and in the meant time he is no closer to concluding this so called war on terror! The crimes committed by one man do not justify the crimes committed by another.

snakelegs
08-30-2007, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=Malaikah;820127]Is this a joke?:uuh: Bush is responsible for way more deaths than OBL, and in the meant time he is no closer to concluding this so called war on terror! The crimes committed by one man do not justify the crimes committed by another.[/QUOTE]
i agree completely.

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Is this a joke?:uuh: Bush is responsible for way more deaths than OBL, and in the meant time he is no closer to concluding this so called war on terror! The crimes committed by one man do not justify the crimes committed by another.
Thousands of people dieing is not a joke.

I'm talking about Afghanistan. I totally agree with going after OBL and his gang who declared war against the US. :thumbs_up

Iraq is totally different. I, never did, never will support what Bush led us into. :raging:

Malaikah
08-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Iran is totally different. I, never did, never will support what Bush led us into. :raging:
*sigh of relief*. That's good to know. Also I think you mean Iraq. Iran hasn't happened yet (and may it remain that way).

wilberhum
08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
*sigh of relief*. That's good to know. Also I think you mean Iraq. Iran hasn't happened yet (and may it remain that way).
Wooo ps, :( I now go edit. :hiding: Of course you are right.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.