/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bosnian widow in church battle

Uthman
08-27-2007, 02:11 PM
A Bosnian Muslim widow's battle to remove a Serbian Orthodox church from her land is nearing its end. The BBC's Nicholas Walton visited Fata Orlovic in her village to find out more.

Fata Orlovic's house is easy to find in the village of Konjevic Polje. It is the one with a large Serbian Orthodox church built in its front garden.

Fata herself is an irrepressible ball of energy, greeting me as she has greeted other journalists, with a long fusillade of invective about the building.

"I want them to remove the church and I want soil back on this plot of land," she tells me, furiously motioning towards what would have been her front garden.

"They can give me money and I'll do it myself," she explains, a smile breaking out across her wrinkled features.

I do not doubt that she would set about dismantling the church, brick by brick, were she given the go-ahead.

Tenacious fight

Like many Muslims in the hills of eastern Bosnia, she was ethnically cleansed from the village during the war in the early 1990s.

Her husband was killed and she was made a refugee by ethnic Serb military aggression.

When she returned to Konjevic Polje in 2000, she was outraged to find the church had been built on her land.

This was a common feature of the brutal ethnic cleansing that took place during the Bosnian war. Whole ethnic groups - Muslim, Croat and Serb - were forced from their homes, and their religious symbols were
destroyed.

In their place, new buildings like the church in Konjevic Polje were erected, to emphasise that a new ethnic and religious group now owned the land.

At the time, Serb refugees from fighting in central Bosnia lived in the village, but now the original Muslim villagers have returned.

Since coming back, Fata Orlovic has fought tenaciously to have the church removed from her garden.

She encountered bureaucratic resistance and even intimidation, but stood her ground.

Empty church

For members of the powerful international community in Bosnia, Fata Orlovic's fight against the church is seen as a test case.

"If she doesn't get the church off her land you will never have a society that is governed by the rule of law," explains James Rodehaver, human rights director for the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) in Sarajevo.

"It would mean a constant process of dealing with political crises and changes of political will. The legacy of the war would never be resolved."

Now, with the church standing empty after her stubborn campaign, it looks like progress is being made.

Only the more nationalist Serbs still oppose Fata, and the government of the

Bosnian Serb half of the country has said it will help find a solution.

The next stage will be to find a way to dismantle the church and move it elsewhere. The process will cost thousands of dollars, and Fata is waiting to hear when the work will begin.

"It doesn't bother me that it's a church," Fata explains. "It's where they worship and that is fine. I respect churches as much as mosques.

"But if they want a church they should just put it on their own land instead of mine. I respect all nations and religions, but I can't respect people building on my land."

Fata smiles at me again. She knows that her long battle is almost over, and that her front garden will soon be full of corn and vegetables. Fata's land will once again be hers.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ACC
08-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Seems pretty clear here. If it was her land and it was taken wrongfully, she should have the land back at no expense to her. Property rights. I would think this would apply to any and all churches and mosques built on someone esle's land during the ethnic cleansing.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-30-2007, 04:18 PM
^^Yea thats true. Interesting article, thanks.

:sl:

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Seams like quite a lady. I hope she wins.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Haidar_Abbas
08-30-2007, 06:54 PM
May Allah(SWT) fortify our brothers and sisters in the struggle for justice and make them amoung those blessed with His(SWT) mercy...ameen.

Bosna is OUR country alhamdulillah

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Ameen! =)

ACC
08-30-2007, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haidar_Abbas
May Allah(SWT) fortify our brothers and sisters in the struggle for justice and make them amoung those blessed with His(SWT) mercy...ameen.

Bosna is OUR country alhamdulillah

If by our you mean Bosnian's, I agree. I have a feeling you mean Muslim's. There are as many Christians as Muslims. Either way, no land belongs to any religion, it belongs to the people.

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't think he meant Bosnians. Those don't look like Bosnian troops to me.

ACC
08-30-2007, 11:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum

And if they are Bosnian troops, I have a feeling that they lean towards one side more than the other.

Amadeus85
08-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Those soldiers may be foreign mujahedeen who took part in war in Bosnia.

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Those soldiers may be foreign mujahedeen who took part in war in Bosnia.
So Haidar_Abbas, tell us, who are those men?

Amadeus85
08-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Anyway, Bosnian state has recently expelled or working on expelling majority of those foreign fighters. The reasons- the threat of terroristic activity.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Have u thought that maybe he chose a random pic to jus represent a Muslim in general?? I could be wrong. Does it matter? All the Muslims fighting truthfully or under oppression, our prayers are for them, Inshallah.

Peace

جوري
08-31-2007, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Have u thought that maybe he chose chose a random pic to jus represent a Muslim in general?? Does it matter? All the Muslims fighting truthfully or under oppression, our prayers are for them, Inshallah.

Peace
Amên
Mata nasr Allah?.. ila ana nasr Allah qareeb...

أَمْ حَسِبْتُمْ أَنْ تَدْخُلُوا الْجَنَّةَ وَلَمَّا يَأْتِكُمْ مَثَلُ الَّذِينَ خَلَوْا مِنْ قَبْلِكُمْ مَسَّتْهُمُ الْبَأْسَاءُ وَالضَّرَّاءُ وَزُلْزِلُوا حَتَّى يَقُولَ الرَّسُولُ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مَعَهُ مَتَى نَصْرُ اللَّهِ أَلا إِنَّ نَصْرَ اللَّهِ قَرِيبٌ

NoName55
08-31-2007, 12:28 AM
for the attn. of trolling kuffar:

rightclick on picture > select properties and you will see the source http://balkansnet.org/

(now goes back to a corner to hide from what he laughingly calls "mods" and awaits ban for insulting "members")

ACC
08-31-2007, 01:18 AM
I have not seen an intelligent reply as of yet. Not surprising to be honest.

Skywalker
08-31-2007, 05:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Acc
Either way, no land belongs to any religion, it belongs to the people
Wrong! All that exists belongs to Allah. We're just temporary tennants.

I hope the nice lady gets her land back insha-Allah. To be fair though, when I was in Bosnia I heard reports that a mosque (or mosques) was built on land belonging to Croats.

Malaikah
08-31-2007, 08:58 AM

I hate the way the article waits until the end to clarify that the women isn't anti-church but rather anti-people-stealing-my-land.

I find it so strange that this even made news... the answer is so obvious, it is her land. :?

guyabano
08-31-2007, 09:17 AM
And who cares, the most important was, that he could post an pictures with troops wearning kind of Tyvek Overalls they wear in chemical factories.
They should just wear some blue rubber gloves and wear big googles, et voilà ;D

Trumble
08-31-2007, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

I find it so strange that this even made news... the answer is so obvious, it is her land. :?
Agreed. The essentials of the case would have been identical had they built a Serbian restaurant in her garden rather than a church; we just would never have heard about it.

Haidar_Abbas
08-31-2007, 05:13 PM
So Haidar_Abbas, tell us, who are those men?

perhaps to you they dont "look" like bosnian army troops, REAL soldiers alhamdulillah, theyre part of the muslim brigade of the bosnian army....and yes if not for the serb killing machine islam would have a stronger place in bosnia but you see there was a real genocide put on us so with time inshaAllah we'll be better and stronger as its totally and ultimatley NONE of the wests concern what MUSLIMS do...:sl:

wilberhum
08-31-2007, 05:22 PM
perhaps to you they dont "look" like bosnian army troops, REAL soldiers alhamdulillah, theyre part of the muslim brigade of the bosnian army....and yes if not for the serb killing machine islam would have a stronger place in bosnia but you see there was a real genocide put on us so with time inshaAllah we'll be better and stronger as its totally and ultimatley NONE of the wests concern what MUSLIMS do...:sl:
As long as they stay in the East.
Is Bosnia in the East? :uuh:

Haidar_Abbas
08-31-2007, 05:30 PM
:sl: look man...its far, far beyond your understanding, im not going to be sucked into a battle where ill be chastized over defending my honour and the honour of my brothers and sisters who aren't here to defend thereselves...so just dismiss it from your mind and think of other things....and please forget my name :sl:

NoName55
08-31-2007, 05:43 PM
:sl: look man...its far, far beyond your understanding, im not going to be sucked into a battle where ill be chastized over defending my honour and the honour of my brothers and sisters who aren't here to defend thereselves...so just dismiss it from your mind and think of other things....and please forget my name :sl:
ditto! :w:

wilberhum
08-31-2007, 05:45 PM
the muslim brigade of the bosnian army
Why does Bosnia devide the military by religion?

Do they serve to protect there country or just there religion?

Zulkiflim
08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Salaam,

She should for rent due for the time it is ON HER LAND..
LOL

It is her land and the goverment usurped it and is now fighting against her..
Just becasue she is a muslim..

Guess the war i not yet over..

Inshallah,Allah is the best of planners..

Haidar_Abbas
08-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Why does Bosnia devide the military by religion?

Do they serve to protect there country or just there religion?

jizakAllahu khayr yah noname :)

and to will. check it, muslims serve only Allah(SWT) and personally im not emir of the army of bosnia so i cant tell you why they make this choice but it is the halal means of organizing the army..again i dont plan to spew so much info , debates make my hair turn greyer than it is already ,loll just take it as its what we do and thats a good enough answer :) wow you notice we're NOT fighting? lol :sl:

wilberhum
08-31-2007, 05:58 PM
muslims serve only Allah
Boy, now I will never go to a Muslim restraint.

Oh well enouth fun.
[S]Back on topic[/S]
I still hope the woman receives justice. :thumbs_up

Haidar_Abbas
08-31-2007, 06:01 PM

the point is on with the topic, justice is only thru Allah(SWT) and His(SWT) law, al shariah it goes along with the topic ...lol :sl:

wilberhum
08-31-2007, 06:06 PM

the point is on with the topic, justice is only thru Allah(SWT) and His(SWT) law, al shariah it goes along with the topic ...lol :sl:
Why didn't he show up in court?

Haidar_Abbas
08-31-2007, 06:07 PM
gee i wasnt there i cant tell you why not.......

END

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.