/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ‘9/11 brought Americans closer to Islam’

Uthman
08-27-2007, 08:23 PM
LAHORE: 9/11 has brought Americans closer to Islam, since the Americans started studying Islam after the bloody attacks and realised that Islam was a peaceful religion, said Walter Russell Mead on Saturday. The US foreign policy expert and Henry Kissinger Senior Fellow for the US Foreign Policy at the Council on Foreign Relations was speaking at Jamia Ashrafia on ‘The Influence of Religion on the US Foreign Policy’. Osama was not a true leader of Islam and his acts were against the teachings of Islam, he said. Mead said as far as war on terror was concerned, the American Muslims were not a problem, but a solution, since they could act as a bridge between Islam and West. Answering a question regarding the US support for military regime, he said there was not true democracy in Pakistan and the United States wanted to see Pakistan a truly democratic Muslim state with better socio-economic conditions. Religion was never a controversial issue in the world and religious education was being given everywhere, including the US, Mead said. staff report

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
08-30-2007, 06:36 PM
I'd say it helped create a schism.. there are 20,000 Americans who embrace Islam every year so something positive has come out of a tragedy, and there are those who spend every waking moment just spent in hate trying to annihilate us either with malicious publications in every crevice of the web, or actively with all these wars going on...

in the end I believe this religion belongs to God and he knows best of his creation. I don't think an effort on our part or theirs is really the defining factor when all is said and done, what will happen is what is decreed!

:w:

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 06:42 PM
IMHO 9/11 distanced far more Americans than it brought closer.
As with any group, some will chose hate. But I never saw any Islamophobia before. Now it is not uncommon.

Skywalker
08-30-2007, 06:58 PM
I think Ambrosia is dead on in that it created a split, some choosing to embrace it by learning about it while others hating it out of ignorance...unfortunately I'd say that the number of Americans hating it is much higher than those who actually chose to embrace it. The logic behind that assumption lies in the fact that people are just too lazy to learn, so it easier to just go with the flow, as well as the fact that it's easier to hate than to love (unfortunately).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
08-30-2007, 07:04 PM
The reality is that most Americans never thought about Islam one way or the other before 9-11, but after that event people believed they saw Islam in action, at least those who had no prior experience with Islam. I'm sure all the news coverage of Muslims did lead many Americans to study the subject further and form more educated opinions, but the vast majority of Americans are too busy working and raising families to get philosophical on the matter. What they saw on TV is what they will remember.

Amadeus85
08-30-2007, 07:07 PM
For me it is morally wondering, that a terroristic attack got some people closer to some faith. Maybe its all about that now it is just so loud about islam worldwide. I dont know.

جوري
08-30-2007, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
I think Ambrosia is dead on in that it created a split, some choosing to embrace it by learning about it while others hating it out of ignorance...unfortunately I'd say that the number of Americans hating it is much higher than those who actually chose to embrace it. The logic behind that assumption lies in the fact that people are just too lazy to learn, so it easier to just go with the flow, as well as the fact that it's easier to hate than to love (unfortunately).

according to this report, 20,000 Americans embrace Islam every year---that of course doesn't account for the rest of the world so we are not really sure how the numbers work out, unless we go by three angry members of the board or our own feelings.. these are demographics studied by actual statisticians which they relay to various medias and articles.

http://news.netscape.com/story/2007/...runs-to-islam/

yigiter187
08-30-2007, 07:31 PM
what is wrong with islam for westerns is that islam isnt told ,explained properly to them..they dont know islam well...

Amadeus85
08-30-2007, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
according to this report, 20,000 Americans embrace Islam every year---that of course doesn't account for the rest of the world so we are not really sure how the numbers work out, unless we go by three angry members of the board or our own feelings.. these are demographics studied by actual statisticians which they relay to various medias and articles.

http://news.netscape.com/story/2007/...runs-to-islam/
Here i go Purest Ambrosia. :okay: About those numbers of converts, for me , as an angry member, they are reasonable. USA is a big country.

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yigiter187
what is wrong with islam for westerns is that islam isnt told ,explained properly to them..they dont know islam well...
I think most Westerners could care less what "Islam Says".
But there is a lot of care for what some "MUslims Do".

(but then I assume I'm an "Angry Member" too.) :skeleton:

Amadeus85
08-30-2007, 07:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Another angry member :okay:

ahsan28
08-30-2007, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
What happened :uhwhat

Amadeus85
08-30-2007, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28
Nothing dude, sleep further . :Evil:

جوري
08-30-2007, 07:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28
He is just being sophomoric.. but trying to pass it off as clever!

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Very clever. :giggling: :giggling:

جوري
08-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Very clever. :giggling: :giggling:
Shouldn't you go applying some of that 5% permethrin preparation prescribed you? I imagine this is the wrong place to let loose that itch!

yigiter187
08-30-2007, 08:19 PM

(but then I assume I'm an "Angry Member" too.) :skeleton:
like americas carefulness in ıraq...we dont regard suicide-bombers as muslims...becoz they kill innocents...but do u regard usa in ıraq as christian...?

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Is that stomping and crying? ;D

Or just your form of sophomoric behavior? :rollseyes

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 08:23 PM
like americas carefulness in ıraq...we dont regard suicide-bombers as muslims...becoz they kill innocents...but do u regard usa in ıraq as christian...?
Who is we? The "True" Muslims? Whatever!
I really don't care what you reqard them as.

They call themselves Muslims.

جوري
08-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Is that stomping and crying? ;D

Or just your form of sophomoric behavior? :rollseyes
no ole man we just think your ilk should be quarantined for obvious reasons!

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 08:29 PM
I think ditto is the current term in Vogue.

yigiter187
08-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Who is we? The "True" Muslims? Whatever!
I really don't care what you reqard them as.

They call themselves Muslims.
ıf ı kill many people and say "ım agnostic or christian"...

is it important that ı call myself chirst or agnositc..
or is the fact that ım muslim important in reality...?

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 08:31 PM
ıf ı kill many people and say "ım agnostic or christian"...

is it important that ı call myself chirst or agnositc..
or is the fact that ım muslim important in reality...?
If I saying I am killing for god, I think it is very important.

Pk_#2
08-30-2007, 08:32 PM
I think ditto is the current term in Vogue.
:rollseyes

Ok ok children! ;DNice thread @ thread starterErm i fink Some Americans have become more aware of Islam and Muslims and some just hate us even more..:mmokay:Tc Peace be good kiddah'z!

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
:rollseyes

Ok ok children! ;DNice thread @ thread starterErm i fink Some Americans have become more aware of Islam and Muslims and some just hate us even more..:mmokay:Tc Peace be good kiddah'z!
That is about as close as one could come to what I said in my first post.

yigiter187
08-30-2007, 08:35 PM
If I saying I am killing for god, I think it is very important.
then ı will kill many,say "im christian" and "i kill for jesus"...it is very simple..

Pk_#2
08-30-2007, 08:38 PM
That is about as close as one could come to what I said in my first post.
Great minds fink alike...

I just don't understand why you int a Muslim yet...:X

A few more weeks ;D Hah.

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 08:38 PM
then ı will kill many,say "im christian" and "i kill for jesus"...it is very simple..
When are you going to start your killing?
What do you plan to accomplish?
Want to kill enough people to make Christians look bad?

(Don't forget to change your "Way of Life".)

yigiter187
08-30-2007, 08:43 PM
When are you going to start your killing?
What do you plan to accomplish?
Want to kill enough people to make Christians look bad?
ı cannot kill even an ant because ı am a muslim

...ı proud my team,dont swear,tease opponent team...got it?:thumbs_up

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 08:45 PM
ı cannot kill even an ant because ı am a muslim

...ı proud my team,dont swear,tease opponent team...got it?:thumbs_up
You and many Muslims feel that way. :thumbs_up

Me and many agnostics feel that way. :thumbs_up

Many Christians and Jews feel that way. :thumbs_up

Many Atheists feel that way. :thumbs_up

Too bad not every one does. :raging: :raging:

08-30-2007, 08:52 PM
somethin about this I read in the quran i cant remember what surah or ayah.......but it said something like "they shall not believe untill their buildings are crushed 2 the ground" or something like that forgive if its not word for word but.......it was something like that

Pygoscelis
08-30-2007, 10:44 PM
9/11 definitely brought more attention to Islam, both good and bad I think.

For me, before 9/11 I didn't really know what Islam was at all. I saw muslims simply as the people who went to the dome shaped churches.

wilberhum
08-30-2007, 10:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
9/11 definitely brought more attention to Islam, both good and bad I think.

For me, before 9/11 I didn't really know what Islam was at all. I saw muslims simply as the people who went to the dome shaped churches.
Thats about the same for me. Didn't know, didn't care.

snakelegs
08-30-2007, 10:48 PM
i agree with those who have said that both things were going on at the same time.
i found it encouraging right after 9/11 that in addition to those who were filled with hate, books about islam suddenly increased in sales - and so did maps. (where is that funny place anyway?)
personally, i was interested in islam before 9/11 and 9/11 made no difference.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.