/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam Is Not The Enemy

Uthman
08-27-2007, 08:30 PM
By ATIF QURAISHI

August 26, 2007

Why are the Muslims so violent? Why must a Muslim kill another Muslim? Why do "the cartoons" bother them so much? Sometimes these questions get tiring. But most of the time it is tiring to find that thin grey line the media draws between religious fanaticism and religious faith.

I wish I had a podium just like Glenn Beck and others on CNN or Fox News. I wish I could get in front of the camera and tell you that I am a Muslim and I am the "religious you" in many ways.

Violence is not a Muslim trait. It is a human one. Most of us forget that the socioeconomic and political environment is not the same everywhere. The path of nonviolence is easily afforded to us. But others exercise violence without any regard. Some get violent over images in a newspaper, while others do it to incite fear. Yet others like Glenn Beck associate violence with Islam to propagate fear.

There is little to no coverage of rallies where Muslims denounce terrorism and violence on a national or international scale. No coverage of the events where Muslims work with others in their communities to remove the wave of isolationism that has gripped us. Fear among the general population coupled with the daily commentaries by people like Glenn Beck is isolating us from a meaningful dialogue. The only dialogue broadcast is one where we complain about the need for dialogue.

Every time Glenn Beck asks, "Where are the peace-loving Muslims now?" I can't help but hold my head in dismay. Where was he when I denounced the violence over the cartoons? Where was he when I was angry at the senseless killings in Iraq? My fellow Americans, I wish you knew I existed and I wish you knew there were millions like me.

We all know that fear makes us do very bad things. I wish mine was the voice of Muslims that is heard across our nation. I wish mine was the voice that compelled you to fight the fear; to fight Islamophobia. I wish mine was the voice that overcame the negativity that emanates from the likes of Glenn Beck.

The prophet Muhammad reminded us that all mankind is from Adam and Eve and that acts of kindness, forgiveness, peace and love have great rewards. He said that the ink of a scholar is more holy than the blood of a martyr. These words uttered over 1,400 years ago have no impact on the people responsible for the killings in Iraq. They kill each other despite what the most revered figure in Islam has asked them to do.

I cannot begin to understand the history between the two sects of Islam, but I can safely assume that the history of the country itself and the politics of power in the guise of a religious fight have more to do with the violence than anything else. Recently when I visited Mecca, I saw a sea of people circling the house of God; I saw people from around the world standing together shoulder to shoulder, men and women, rich and poor, Sunni and Shiite. I saw people, not Sunnis or Shiites, and they were not trying to kill each other.

As a Muslim, I do love my God and my prophet and I can tell you honestly that "the cartoons" did make me question the civility of our society.

Does freedom of speech mean I can do or say what I please? My faith teaches me to be kind to others, and to respect their feelings and beliefs. I live with all of you and thus I respect your beliefs, your Gods and holy people. I don't have to draw cartoons or write books that shame them. With this right, I believe, comes great responsibility.

Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of this freedom. I am exercising it right now, but I choose to be careful with it. Therefore I must admit that if someone decides to draw or ridicule my prophets then they are exercising their right as well. I am tolerant of that, but not ignorant. And so, if we associate this right with a civil society, I hope that we are actually civil when exercising this right.

Violence is never the answer. A lot of what we do in this world is because it is in our nature as humans. We choose to differentiate ourselves on the basis of origin, color and sex, but mostly, religion.

My fellow Americans, I wish Muslims like me had a voice in this nation. I wish mine was the voice that tells you that I am a Muslim and I am the "American you" in many ways.

Atif Quraishi is an information technology manager in the insurance industry. He lives in Coventry.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sami Zaatari
08-27-2007, 09:07 PM
glenn beck is a moron

wilberhum
08-27-2007, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
glenn beck is a moron
Right!
There are two kinds of people. :skeleton:

People that agree with you and morons. :?

But in all fairness, I think Glenn Bech is a bigot. :raging:

Pk_#2
08-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Waz a moron man?

Waz a Bigot :o|

He just....

Astaghfirullah don't make me label the geezah! oops :X

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
KAding
08-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Islam is not the enemy
Depends on how you define "Islam"! Can the real Islam please stand up?

shev
08-28-2007, 09:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
real islam, people who live the real islam....there are of course these kind of people but in psychology it is said that 'we see what we want to see'

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shev
real islam, people who live the real islam....there are of course these kind of people but in psychology it is said that 'we see what we want to see'
So the "Real Islam" is the people who live the "Real Islam". :hmm:

As KAding said:
Can the real Islam please stand up?

ahsan28
08-28-2007, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=Osman;818085
Violence is not a Muslim trait. It is a human one. [/QUOTE]

100% correct. Thanks brother sharing an informative article.

Haidar_Abbas
08-28-2007, 07:41 PM
:sl:
Islam isnt as westerners want it to be and they cant change it even though they want to currupt it so badly...alhamdulillah the tidle wave of Islam is overtaking the west by the passing of each day, Islam grows like a beautiful flower in the midst of such a barren land alhamdulillah sorry to be so metaphorical but you get the idea inshaAllah :sl:

Keltoi
08-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Glenn Beck aside, whom I do believe is a bigot, the violence we are talking about isn't a "trait". We are talking about current events. There can be no doubt that extremist Islam is an enemy of civilized humanity, and that includes Muslims themselves. I agree with Glenn Beck that extremist Islam is an enemy, but the reality is that they are an enemy of Muslims too. I only wish more Muslims could see that.

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haidar_Abbas
Islam isnt as westerners want it to be and they cant change it even though they want to currupt it so badly...alhamdulillah the tidle wave of Islam is overtaking the west by the passing of each day, Islam grows like a beautiful flower in the midst of such a barren land alhamdulillah sorry to be so metaphorical but you get the idea inshaAllah :sl:
How do Westerners want it to be? :rollseyes
What are we doing to currupt it? :rollseyes
What does it service the West to currupt it? :rollseyes

Sami Zaatari
08-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Islam is not here for your entertainment or for show, you want to know the real Islam get off your dutch atheist a$$ and go learn about Islam.

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Islam is not here for your entertainment or for show, you want to know the real Islam get off your dutch atheist a$$ and go learn about Islam.
Why would anyone what to believe what you believe? :hiding:

Keltoi
08-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Aww...now we've moved on to ethnic slurs...how original.

Sami Zaatari
08-28-2007, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Aww...now we've moved on to ethnic slurs...how original.
how did i make an ethinic slur? LOL the guy is dutch, and an atheist! how is it an ethnic slur for me calling HIM DUTCH WHEN HE IS DUTCH?! is dutch a bad word????????? lolllll you guys are so desperate

Keltoi
08-28-2007, 07:56 PM
how did i make an ethinic slur? LOL the guy is dutch, and an atheist! how is it an ethnic slur for me calling HIM DUTCH WHEN HE IS DUTCH?! is dutch a bad word????????? lolllll you guys are so desperate

When you bring someone's national or ethnic identity into a conversation, that is a sign of desperation.

Sami Zaatari
08-28-2007, 07:57 PM
no it aint thats how i talk so get over it............

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 08:24 PM
no it aint thats how i talk so get over it............
Islam is not the enemy, but Muslims like you are.

Zman
08-28-2007, 08:28 PM

I really don't care about any Islamophobes views on Islam or Muslims.

But, I do care about the views of those who are enquiring to grasp a better understanding in order to have a fruitful dialogue & better understanding.

As for the Islamophobes, they truly don't desire peace, understanding and harmony. They will constantly find ways and employ methods Just to attack Islam and Muslims.

They are racists and xenophobes to the core.

Attacking Islam & Muslims is Just their most recent attempt at conjuring up an enemy that will allow themselves to expose and voice their hatred. That way they can cloak their bigotry in the guise of "human rights," "defending their civilization & way of life," "that they are defending themselves from atacks" (yet, they are the ones who are consistently attacking others), "assimilation & intigration," and so on with their petty and unrealistic excuses.

Every minority has dealt with their hatred and venom, before. Everyone is an enemy and beneath them...

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Do you care about Muslims that create Islamophobia?

Sami Zaatari
08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
you **** right im your enemy, and proud to be your enemy! and too bad for you im the enemy who is converting your ppl to Islam :)

Sami Zaatari
08-28-2007, 08:34 PM
and the only reason i am your enemy is because i speak against you and your crimes, and since your a westener you think its not right for anyone to question or speak against you or fight against you, so heck no wonder many westeners dont like Muslims like me! you westeners only like the Muslims who bow to you and accept your ways, as they say go figure!

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 08:43 PM
and the only reason i am your enemy is because i speak against you and your crimes, and since your a westener you think its not right for anyone to question or speak against you or fight against you, so heck no wonder many westeners dont like Muslims like me! you westeners only like the Muslims who bow to you and accept your ways, as they say go figure!
No you are the enemy because you represent hate.

Uthman
08-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Haha! I don't actually mind this thread being hijacked. It's funny!

It's just like a Soap Opera. "What happens next?"

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman

Good, maybe you can help change the tone. :thumbs_up

Uthman
08-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Good idea! :) I might just do that.

I hope you enjoyed your weekend away btw.

ahsan28
08-28-2007, 08:57 PM
"What happens next?"
Clash of civilizations :D

Uthman
08-28-2007, 08:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28
Clash of civilizations :D
Really?! Man, I thought that happened in last week's episode! :D

Isambard
08-28-2007, 09:00 PM

Eh, you know how these things go..

someone cheats on someone,
someone will ahve an illegitamite baby and wont know who the father is,
a man named Lorenzo will play the villian and try to steal the Damsel etc.

:D

guyabano
08-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Now I come along in this thread, and.... what do I see? Also hijacked? hmmmm :?

ahsan28
08-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Now it is happening daily :D

Intisar
08-28-2007, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
Waz a moron man?

Waz a Bigot :o|

He just....

Astaghfirullah don't make me label the geezah! oops :X

Peace.
:sl: A bigot is basically a racist, and someone who discriminates others based on their religion, race, gender etc.

This was a very good article, jazakallah khair. CNN is the dumbest channel to have ever go on air. Jack Cafferty is no better than Glenn, he confused our prophet Muhammad (pbuh) with the Nation of Islam's former leader Elijah Mohamed. He is extremely stupid. Just goes to show. :mmokay: :enough!:

Uthman
08-28-2007, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
Now I come along in this thread, and.... what do I see? Also hijacked? hmmmm :?
Yeah, I just give up. :mmokay: Sitting back and enjoying the ride.

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
:sl: A bigot is basically a racist, and someone who discriminates others based on their religion, race, gender etc.

This was a very good article, jazakallah khair. CNN is the dumbest channel to have ever go on air. Jack Cafferty is no better than Glenn, he confused our prophet Muhammad (pbuh) with the Nation of Islam's former leader Elijah Mohamed. He is extremely stupid. Just goes to show. :mmokay: :enough!:
CNN is the best news channel on the air. Jack Cafferty is great. Maybe you need to be as old as he to see what a great job he does.

How many things has Jack got wrong?
When you get old, you get confused. :D

By the way, how do you know it is so bad? Been witching it?

Cognescenti
08-28-2007, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haidar_Abbas

I too am sorry you chose such a childish and insulting metaphor. Let's first make sure the flower isn't an IED.

Intisar
08-28-2007, 09:23 PM
CNN is the best news channel on the air. Jack Cafferty is great. Maybe you need to be as old as he to see what a great job he does.

How many things has Jack got wrong?
When you get old, you get confused. :D

By the way, how do you know it is so bad? Been witching it?
Lmao is all I can say. I just gave you an example of his stupidity. He's supposed to be an ''expert'' and yet he can't even tell the difference between our beloved prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and a completely different man named Elijah Mohamed. ^o)

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Lmao is all I can say. I just gave you an example of his stupidity. He's supposed to be an ''expert'' and yet he can't even tell the difference between our beloved prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and a completely different man named Elijah Mohamed. ^o)
I have never heard any one say Jack was an expert, let alone an expert on the different Muhammads. :-\

And because Jack made a mistake "CNN is the dumbest channel to have ever go on air"? :-[

Jack does a great job of playing "The Grumpy Old Man". He has a great sense of humor and has some excellent incite into what is going on. IMHO

Intisar
08-28-2007, 09:52 PM
I have never heard any one say Jack was an expert, let alone an expert on the different Muhammads. :-\

And because Jack made a mistake "CNN is the dumbest channel to have ever go on air"? :-[

Jack does a great job of playing "The Grumpy Old Man". He has a great sense of humor and has some excellent incite into what is going on. IMHO
No, he pretends to be an expert in our religion. His tone, the way he talks about us, all that is enough to make anyone cringe.

It is a grave insult to any Muslim to mistake the prophet (pbuh) with Elijah Muhammad. He is not in the least bit funny.

CNN is a stupid channel, with hosts like Glenn Beck, Paula Zahn and Jack Cafferty. I swear I lose braincells everytime someone flicks it to that channel. :thumbs_do

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 10:08 PM
No, he pretends to be an expert in our religion. His tone, the way he talks about us, all that is enough to make anyone cringe.
Wow, he pretends to be an expert. I witch Jack all the time, I have never heard him use the word Muslim.
It is a grave insult to any Muslim to mistake the prophet (pbuh) with Elijah Muhammad.
I fine it almost impossible not to insult Muslims. You seam to have no sence of humor about anything.
He is not in the least bit funny.
As I said, maybe you have to be as old as he is or maybe you just lack a sence of humor.
CNN is a stupid channel, with hosts like Glenn Beck, Paula Zahn and Jack Cafferty. I swear I lose braincells everytime someone flicks it to that channel. :thumbs_do
I guess each of us is entitled to there own openion. :playing:

Intisar
08-28-2007, 10:44 PM
OK buddy, you find an unintelligent bigot to be funny and I don't. Let's agree to disagree. :peace:

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 10:54 PM
OK buddy, you find an unintelligent bigot to be funny and I don't. Let's agree to disagree. :peace:
Because he was confused or lacked knowledge he is an "unintelligent bigot"?

Wow!

I guess I'm a Hindu bigot because I don't know all the gods. :skeleton:

Zman
08-28-2007, 11:02 PM
...Jack Cafferty is great. Maybe you need to be as old as he to see what a great job he does...

He's a Joke!

He's nothing more than a mini Bill O'Really...

Keltoi
08-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Meaning he's nothing more than anybody else you don't agree with all the time.

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 11:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zman

He's a Joke!

He's nothing more than a mini Bill O'Really...
Like I said:
Maybe you need to be as old as he to see what a great job he does
Children will never get his humor. :D

Intisar
08-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Because he was confused or lacked knowledge he is an "unintelligent bigot"?

Wow!

I guess I'm a Hindu bigot because I don't know all the gods. :skeleton:
Pretending to know more than the average person about a religion, and then making possibly the SILLIEST AND DUMBEST mistake on National TV does make you an unintelligent bigot. He sheds a bad light on us. :)

You may find the unintelligent funny, but maybe that just has to do with his intelligence level? I mean, everyone finds dumb people funny. Especially when they THINK they're smart. ;)

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Pretending to know more than the average person about a religion, and then making possibly the SILLIEST AND DUMBEST mistake on National TV does make you an unintelligent bigot. He sheds a bad light on us. :)

You may find the unintelligent funny, but maybe that just has to do with his intelligence level? I mean, everyone finds dumb people funny. Especially when they THINK they're smart. ;)
What is just so astounding about this is that in the 100 of hours I have lissened to him, I have never heard him say anything about Muslims. So I guess he must have once.
So I have to wonder, is he pretending, or are you intolloarnt? :?

Intisar
08-28-2007, 11:23 PM
What is just so astounding about this is that in the 100 of hours I have lissened to him, I have never heard him say anything about Muslims. So I guess he must have once.
So I have to wonder, is he pretending, or are you intolloarnt? :?
Buddy, you're just blinded by his stupidity masked as 'intelligence'. :sunny:

wilberhum
08-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Buddy, you're just blinded by his stupidity masked as 'intelligence'. :sunny:
Or you are blinded because he doesn't toe to your "Islamic Line"?

It seams branding someone stupid because on one remark is pure bigotry.

It seams your sole judge of intelligence is based on Islamic knowledge.

That may be a valid measure in some places, but not in the West.

Intisar
08-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Or you are blinded because he doesn't toe to your "Islamic Line"?

It seams branding someone stupid because on one remark is pure bigotry.

It seams your sole judge of intelligence is based on Islamic knowledge.

That may be a valid measure in some places, but not in the West.
LMAOOMG! You're being so extremely ridiculous.

1) I found it insulting to mistake our beloved Nabi (SAW) with Elijah Mohamed.

2) He parades around the fact that he has 'knowledge' of Islam but made a more than silly mistake that someone with knowledge of the deen wouldn't make.

You're being so narrow-minded. I'm not even going to bother with you. Why do you even bother coming to an ISLAMIC FORUM!? Is there any logic in doing so? You're obviously not here for good intentions, you're only here to rile people up.

Just stop while you're ahead. :thumbs_do

I am out.

Sami Zaatari
08-29-2007, 03:00 AM
LMAOOMG! You're being so extremely ridiculous.

1) I found it insulting to mistake our beloved Nabi (SAW) with Elijah Mohamed.

2) He parades around the fact that he has 'knowledge' of Islam but made a more than silly mistake that someone with knowledge of the deen wouldn't make.

You're being so narrow-minded. I'm not even going to bother with you. Why do you even bother coming to an ISLAMIC FORUM!? Is there any logic in doing so? You're obviously not here for good intentions, you're only here to rile people up.

Just stop while you're ahead. :thumbs_do

I am out.
see folks its not just me, willyboy is annoying the sisters too.

KAding
08-29-2007, 09:15 AM
I try. But you know, I think that is exactly what is confusing me :confused:! It was so much easier when I thought there was a monolithic Islam. I have for example read writings from Sayyid Qutb and al-Zawahiri as well as the most recent book of Tariq Ramadan. One Islam is my enemy, the other is not. Sure I can have my own opinion about what Islam really is, but thats hardly relevant here, is it? The question here is whether it makes sense to make statements about "Islam" not being "the enemy", when there is no unified opinion among Muslims on how to practice Islam.

Oh and whether certain interpretations of Islam are 'the enemy', for me, also depends on where they want to implemented. I mean, what Muslims do in their own countries is really their business. But if some Muslims want to bring their version of Islam to Europe and it is in contradiction with my view of the state and justice system, then I get a bit squeamish. In other words, I'm much more likely to consider someone an enemy if they want to negatively influence my life, rather than someones life in, say, Pakistan.

KAding
08-29-2007, 09:18 AM

But, I do care about the views of those who are enquiring to grasp a better understanding in order to have a fruitful dialogue & better understanding.

As for the Islamophobes, they truly don't desire peace, understanding and harmony. They will constantly find ways and employ methods Just to attack Islam and Muslims.

Attacking Islam & Muslims is Just their most recent attempt at conjuring up an enemy that will allow themselves to expose and voice their hatred. That way they can cloak their bigotry in the guise of "human rights," "defending their civilization & way of life," "that they are defending themselves from atacks" (yet, they are the ones who are consistently attacking others), "assimilation & intigration," and so on with their petty and unrealistic excuses.

Every minority has dealt with their hatred and venom, before. Everyone is an enemy and beneath them...
That is indeed the way of the extremists. On both sides.

guyabano
08-29-2007, 09:33 AM

Curious, I had the same thoughts about some 'wannabe-muslims'....nahhhhh, will not say it !

ahsan28
08-29-2007, 10:12 AM
That is indeed the way of the extremists. On both sides.
So what do you suggest the middle way? Plz enlighten us :D

alibaba
08-29-2007, 06:05 PM
I hate Glenn. He should stick to Lindsay lohan stories

Zman
08-31-2007, 11:41 AM

Can We Win The Ideological War?

Courtesy Of: The American Conservative
By Patrick J. Buchanan
August 27, 2007 Issue
AmConMag

Asked during World War II why the British continued to fight so ferociously, Churchill is said to have snorted, “If we stop, you’ll find out.”

The question arises in the war on terror: we know who the main enemy is, al-Qaeda, the men and movement responsible for 9/11, but what are they fighting for? What is their war all about?

A year ago, in Salt Lake City, President Bush, addressing the American Legion, sought to define the war from his perspective:

“The war we fight today is more than a military conflict; it is the decisive ideological struggle of the 21st century. On one side are those who believe in the values of freedom and moderation—the right of all people to speak, and worship, and live in liberty.

And on the other side are those driven by the values of tyranny and extremism—the right of a self-appointed few to impose their fanatical views on all the rest.”

Certainly terrorists who massacre innocents are fanatics. Certainly, the caliphate bin Laden’s acolytes would establish would be tyrannical. But if the enemy were only a cabal of terrorists, hell-bent on establishing a tyranny, they would not be on the verge of expelling us from Iraq and perhaps from Afghanistan.
Why are we losing the war if President Bush has correctly defined the stakes in this “ideological struggle”?

One reason is that the true goals of bin Laden, the insurgents in Iraq, and the Taliban are not so abstract as those of Mr. Bush. They are concrete, understandable, realizable, and appealing to millions.

In his declaration of war on the United States, bin Laden listed three goals:

expel U.S. forces from the sacred soil of Saudi Arabia, stop the persecution of innocent Iraqis through U.S.-UN sanctions, and end the Israeli repression and dispossession of the Palestinian people.
Not only do these goals have broad appeal to Arab peoples, bin Laden has achieved victory in the first. After 9/11, U.S. forces were pulled out of Saudi Arabia at the request of the king.

And while Bush calls this an ideological struggle, the enemy has allied itself with some very powerful ideas. As did Mao and Ho Chi Minh, our enemy has captured the flag of nationalism:
We fight to get your troops off our land! We fight to get your hooks out of our government! Leave us to rule ourselves!More importantly, our enemy has rooted his cause in a 1,400-year-old religion that has 1.2 billion adherents, has survived crusades, invasions and occupations, and is growing again in militancy and converts
Our enemy, be it Shia or Sunni in Iraq or the Taliban in Afghanistan, claims to be fighting for a rule of law, Sharia, sanctioned by the Koran, and a form of government the Prophet mandates for Islamic peoples. And that is not some secular-liberal, do-your-own-thing democracy.

As for the tactics the enemy uses, decent Muslims the world over are said to be growing disgusted with the slaughter by suicide bombers of men, women, and children.
But are these not the tactics the French maquis and Italian and Yugoslav partisans used on the Nazis and their collaborators? Was this not the way Israelis expelled the British, the Algerians expelled the French, the Afghans expelled the Soviets, the ANC overthrew apartheid, and Hezbollah drove the IDF out of Lebanon?

Clausewitz would understand: terrorism is the extension of Islamist politics by other means.
If we know what al-Qaeda is fighting for, what exactly are we fighting for?

Taking the president literally, we are fighting for the right of Islamic peoples “to speak, and worship, and live in liberty.”

Here we come to our dilemma. Devout Muslims in Islamic lands do not believe people should be free to blaspheme or insult the Prophet. They do not believe all religions are equal or should be treated equally. They do not believe Christians should be free to preach in their lands. The punishment for those who do, and for those who convert from Islam in Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia as well as Iran, is death.
Moreover, in every Middle East country, Islamic parties have broadening support.

In free elections in Egypt, Lebanon, Palestine, Iraq, and Iran, Islamists made gains or racked up victories. In Turkey, a moderate Islamic party just won national power.

It is Western secularism that is in retreat.

It is our friends in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Egypt, Morocco, the Gulf states, and Israel who seem most apprehensive about any more elections among the Arab masses. The Islamists seem to welcome them—and to succeed in them.
Should U.S. soldiers die for democracy in the Islamic world, when democracy may produce victory for the political progeny of the Muslim Brotherhood? Is that worth the lives of America’s young?

Source:
http://www.amconmag.com/2007/2007_08_27/buchanan.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.