/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Austrian Governer wants to ban Mosques

Sami Zaatari
08-28-2007, 12:52 AM
ah yes the religous tolerance and freedom of religion that westeners often boast about on perfect display again:

Austria's Haider says to ban mosque-building
Agencies
Published: August 27, 2007, 18:13

Vienna: Austria's Joerge Haider said on Monday that he plans to change building laws to prevent mosques being erected in his home province of Carinthia.

"We don't want a clash of cultures and we don't want institutions which are alien to our culture being erected in Western Europe," said Haider, the Carinthia governor.

"Muslims have of course the right to practise their religion, but I oppose erecting mosques and minarets as centres to advertise the power of Islam," he said.

Haider said he would ask parliament to amend the building code that would require towns to consider "religious and cultural tradition" when dealing with construction requests.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lawmaker from the Austrian Muslims' Initiative called Haider's move "racist" and "ridiculous". "We don't know of any mosque plans there. His move is meaningless, populist, racist and anti-Islamic," Omar Al Rawi said.

http://gulfnews.com/world/Austria/10149533.html

this is like the 3rd incident of westeners trying to ban mosques in just one week..... yes the religous tolerance of the west!

but we Muslims should be smart, since they claim the mosques look abit different well then we should build mosques that look like the other buildings in the city and province........ but offcourse even if we do that they will come up with yet another excuse of trying to ban Islam.....

westeners can really no longer boast about religous freedom being availible in the west and not the Muslim world, unless you are a liar that is, every week we now see cases of mosques not being allowed to be built, banned, hijabs not allowed etc etc...... just because a Muslim can be a Muslim in the west doesnt mean theres absaloute freedom of religion, since a Christian can be a Christian in the Muslim world as well......so that supposed higher ground you guys had is gone now (and you never had it)

but since westeners on this forum cant ever really give a strong response back they will bring up Saudia lol as they always do, which shows how un-educated they are since how does ONE Muslim country represent 1.6 billion Muslims? so incase any of you westerners thought of bringing Saudia up to justify this think of something better since there is not one single Muslim nation that outlaws churches or the Bible........

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Whatsthepoint
10-28-2007, 03:15 PM
It sems his words words weren't empty.
Provincial parliament demands ban on mosque construction

Vienna - The provincial parliament in the southern Austrian province Carinthia called on its provincial government to prepare legislation banning the construction of mosques or minarets. The province's governor, the populist former leader of the rightist Freedom Party, Joerg Haider, had repeatedly called for anti- Muslim measures along those lines.

The proposal was adopted with the votes of the conservative People's Party, Freedom Party, and the support of the Alliance for Austria's Future, an equally rightist breakaway party from the Freedom Party, founded by Haider.

Alliance floor leader Kurt Scheuch said his party wanted to prevent the creeping Islamization by radical forces.

"We prefer churchbells to the muezzin's chants," he said.

While the conservatives stressed that it was not their intention to prevent Muslims from practicing their religion, they argued that a mosque could not be compared with a Christian church, but was rather an "institution of a cultural community."

Carinthia's Social Democrats and Greens, who had voted against the measure, slammed the proposal as a move to "prevent integration (and) hinder religious freedom" and called it an "open attack on democracy and the rule of law."

The Social Democrats pointed out that currently there were no plans for for building mosques in the province, unmasking the proposal as an attempt to "attract the right-wing vote," Social Democrat floor leader Peter Kaiser said.

Earthtimes.org, Thu, 25 Oct 2007
Hmmm:hmm:

Isambard
10-28-2007, 04:21 PM
It would appear there are silent religious reasons for not allowing mosques. In such a case then you cant complain, I mean how is it different from Saudi Arabia banning Bibles?.

Both cases are agaisnt the spirit of secularism and "The west".

Amadeus85
10-28-2007, 04:48 PM
So Joerg Haider wants a situation that Christians and Jews and Hindus etc could build places of worship and muslims couldnt? I think that it is not normal and very unfair.I think that Carinthia's citizens are reasonable enough not to support such silly ideas.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Isambard
10-28-2007, 04:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
So Joerg Haider wants a situation that Christians and Jews and Hindus etc could build places of worship and muslims couldnt? I think that it is not normal and very unfair.I think that Carinthia's citizens are reasonable enough not to support such silly ideas.
You know when you put it that way, it sounds like reverse-shariah!;D

wilberhum
10-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Sami Zaatari
Your back. :hmm:
I guess you feel justified in condemning the West because of the action of one.
So is it ok if I judge all Muslims by one who runs a Christian Hate Blog?

Maybe you should see the "Best Islamic blogs contest" thread.

aamirsaab
10-28-2007, 05:40 PM
:sl:
Sami is not back - this thread was just revived by someone after sami had been banned. The thread was created before he was banned.

I'm pondering on whether or not to lock this thread. I'll give it until tomorrow.

wilberhum
10-28-2007, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Sami is not back - this thread was just revived by someone after sami had been banned. The thread was created before he was banned.

I'm pondering on whether or not to lock this thread. I'll give it until tomorrow.
Wow, Sami isn't back. That is good news. :D
Come to think of if, I haven't seen his "Alter Ego" either. :giggling:

I guess I just missed this thread because of the closings.
:hiding:

snakelegs
10-28-2007, 05:53 PM
it's 2 months old!

Whatsthepoint
10-28-2007, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
tomorrow.
Due to recent occurrences.:mmokay:

Muezzin
10-30-2007, 10:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
it's 2 months old!
Dang skippy it is. World Affairs threads can be closed even if they're three days old with no replies.

As Hiro Nakamura might say... Thread-o lock-o!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.