/* */

PDA

View Full Version : need help concerning ramadan

Ummu Sufyaan
08-29-2007, 05:55 AM
:sl:
i need your help in understanding something i read. it seems pretty straight forward, but i need a second opinion in case i have miss understood something.
this is what i read in minhaaj ul-muslim by Abu Bakr Jabir al-Jazai'ry, under the heading "confirming the month of ramadan":

The beginning of the month of Ramadhan is confimned by one of two matters: The first of them is the completion of the previous month, which is Sha'ban. Therefore, if Sha'ban completes thirty days, then the thirty-first day is the first day of Ramadhan, without a doubt. The second matter is sighting the crescent of the new moon for it (Ramadhan). So if the crescent moon of Ramadhan is seen on the thirtieth night of Sha'ban the month of Ramadhan has begun and it is obligatory to fast it. This is due to Allah the Almighty's statement,

(the meaning of the ayah) So whoever witnesses the month then he must fast it." (2: 185)

And the Messenger's statement,

اذا رأيتم الهلال فصوموا٬ واذا رأيتموه فأفطروا٬ فان غم عليكم فأكملوا العدة ثلاثين يوما

«"When you see the crescent moon (of Ramadhan), then fast, and when you see it (for Shawwal) then stop fasting. And if it is hidden from you by clouds, then complete the period as thirty days.)) (Muslim)

now my question which is in regards to the balded parts: As far as i could tell, last night was a full moon, so therefore i am expecting tonight to be a crescent moon. does this mean that if i spot the crescent moon tonight, than i fast with the intention of fasting ramamdan??
jazakallahu khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
08-29-2007, 10:09 AM
come one. anyone?? sorry to sound like such a nag, but this is kinda urgent.
jazakallahu khair

islamirama
08-29-2007, 02:11 PM
wa'alaikum as'salaam

Last night maybe a full moon but it is only the 15th and not the 30th. You wait till 30days because normally a month has 30 or 31 days. If you see the moon then you fast next day, if not then you complete the month with 31 days. Also, you can either go with your local community in what they decide or go with global community and see when saudi is doing it.

70 Matters Related to Fasting

The onset of Ramadaan is confirmed by the sighting of the new moon, or by the completion of thirty days of Sha’baan. Whoever sees the crescent of the new moon or hears about it from a trustworthy source is obliged to fast.

Using calculations to determine the onset of Ramadaan is bid’ah, because the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) clearly states: “Fast when you see it (the new moon) and break your fast when you see it.” If an adult, sane, trustworthy, reliable Muslim who has good eyesight says that he has seen the crescent with his own eyes, then we should take his word for it and act accordingly (i.e., start fasting).

More @ http://islamqa.com/index.php?pg=arti...g&article_id=8

Ummu Sufyaan
08-30-2007, 12:32 AM
jazakallahu khair. that helped alot. Does that mean that the author of the book has made a mistake then???The second matter is sighting the crescent of the new moon for it (Ramadhan). So if the crescent moon of Ramadhan is seen on the thirtieth night of Sha'ban the month of Ramadhan has begun and it is obligatory to fast it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yanal
08-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Asalam alakum and yes on the next day hope that helps :)

Ummu Sufyaan
08-30-2007, 12:43 AM
oh, never mind, i was reading the paragraph wrong. i thought it said thirteenth night, not thirtieth

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.