/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fidyah - The Rulings?

Umu 'Isa
08-30-2007, 09:59 AM
:salamext:
I was wondering if anyone knows the ruling on fidyah (feeding a poor person for every fast that is missed during Ramadhaan) for sick/pregnant people?

Is it okay to feed poor non muslims? Muslims don't exactly go walking around telling everyone they are poor, so how are we meant to know? Is it okay to pay a charity organization to feed a poor (muslim) person in another country?

Please give evidence with your answers insha Allaah.

Jazakum Allaah khayr in advance.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umu 'Isa
08-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Anyone....?

Ummu Sufyaan
08-31-2007, 10:25 AM
:sl:
sorry sis, i have no idea.
maybe i'll do some research for you. no promises though.

Ummu Sufyaan
08-31-2007, 11:45 AM
:sl: sis. this is what i found

He has diabetes and does not fast

Question:
I have diabetes and I have to inject myself with insulin twice a day. Hence I do not fast and I pay the fidyah in cash for the number of days I do not fast. It is permissible to pay the fidyah in this way, i.e., in cash, especially since I break my fast in the restaurant and I am not married? Can this fidyah be distributed to three or more poor people, because I cannot find anyone who needs to be fed at the time of iftaar?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

If you are able to fast, then you must fast, and in this case it is not permissible for you to break your fast and feed others. Insulin injections do not break the fast; you can fast and take the insulin injections. And you have to make up the fasts that you have missed. See question no. 1319.

But if fasting will harm you, or it will cause you great difficulty, or you need to take medicine during the day, then it is permissible for you not to fast in that case. If you will never be able to make up the fasts in the future, then you have to feed one poor person for each day.

It is not permissible for you to pay the fidyah in cash, rather you have to give food, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g. an old man), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskeen (poor person) (for every day)”

[al-Baqarah 2:184]

So you have to look for poor people so that you can do what is required of you, or give money to someone who can buy food and make sure it reaches the poor on your behalf.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=38...eng&txt=fidyah

She fasted the days of her period out of ignorance – what should she do?

Question:
I fasted all of Ramadaan and I did not know that on the days of my period I should not fast, or that I should make up those days after that. I want to make up those days by fasting and feeding a poor person for each day, but I do not know any poor people whom I could feed. It is permissible for me to donate money to any cause such as orphans or to mosques instead of that? And how much is the kafaarah (expiation) for each day in Egyptian pounds?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The scholars are agreed that the menstruating woman should not fast, and that her fast is not valid if she does fast, and that she has to make up the days that she did not fast in Ramadaan because of her period.

See question no. 33594.

What you have to do is to make up those days, and repent to Allaah for your failing to seek knowledge, which led you to commit this haraam action.

If you will be able to make up these days in the same year before the next Ramadaan comes, then all you have to do is to make up the fasts, and you do not have to feed the poor.

But if you delayed making up the fasts until the next Ramadaan came, with no excuse, then there is a difference of scholarly opinion in this case: should you feed the poor as well as making up the missed fasts, or not?

We have already stated in the answer to question no. 26865 that you do not have to feed the poor.

But if you want to be on the safe side, and you feed the poor as well as make up the missed fasts, that is good.

What is meant by feeding the poor is feeding one poor person for each day, giving half a saa’ of the local staple food, such as rice or dates. Shaykh Ibn Baaz stated that this is approximately equivalent to one and a half kilograms of rice. Fataawa Ramadaan, p. 545.

The majority of scholars are of the view that it is not sufficient to pay the monetary value of the fidyah (ransom), so you cannot pay money; rather you should give the actual food to a poor person, as stated above.

The Standing Committee was asked about an old man who was not able to fast. They replied:

You are allowed not to fast so long as you are unable to do so, and you have to feed one poor person for each day that you do not fast. You can give it all at once or break it up into smaller amounts, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and [Allaah] has not laid upon you in religion any hardship”

[al-Hajj]

It is not enough to give money instead of giving food.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 10/163.

You can give money to any charitable organization, or to the imam of a mosque who is known for his religious commitment and righteousness, to buy food on your behalf and distribute it to the poor, and how many there are nowadays.

You could also make food for the poor, of an amount commensurate with the number of days you owe. Al-Bukhaari said: With regard to the old man, if he is unable to fast: for one or two years Anas, after he grew old, fed bread and meat to a poor person every day and did not fast.

It is permissible to give this kafaarah to orphans if they are poor, but not every orphan is poor or needy.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=38...eng&txt=fidyah

just something extra, that inshallah you'll find interesting.

There is nothing wrong with giving the entire fidyah to one poor person

Question:
Is it permissible for one who is unable to fast to feed one poor person for thirty days or to feed thirty poor persons on one day?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The one who is unable to fast on an ongoing basis is obliged to feed one poor person for each day that he does not fast, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g. an old man), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskeen (poor person) (for every day)”

[al-Baqarah 2:18 ]

Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: This has not been abrogated. It refers to an old man or old woman who is not able to fast; they should feed one poor person for each day. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4505.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

“With regard to how this feeding is to be done, it may be done in two ways:

1 – Making food and inviting the poor to come and eat, according to the number of days that one has to cover, as Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) used to do when he grew old.

2 – Giving them uncooked food.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/335.

See also question no. 49944.

With regard to feeding one poor person for thirty days, many scholars have stated that this is permissible. This is the view of the Shaafa’i and Hanbali madhhabs and of a group of Maalikis. It says in al-Insaaf (3/291): It is permissible to give food to one poor person all in one go.

See Tuhfat al-Muhtaaj, 3/446; Kashshaaf al-Qinaa’, 2/313.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (10/198):

Since the doctors have ruled that this sickness that you are suffering from is ongoing, and you cannot fast as a result, and there is no hope of recovery, then you have to feed one poor person for each day, giving half a saa’ of the local staple food, whether it is dates or something else. If you give the poor person dinner or breakfast for the number of days that you owe, that will be sufficient.

From this it is known that it is permissible to feed one poor person for thirty days, or to gather thirty poor persons on one day and feed them. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=43...eng&txt=fidyah

sis, thats all i could find. i couldn't find anything about whether they had to be Muslim or not.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Makky
08-31-2007, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rahmah
I was wondering if anyone knows the ruling on fidyah (feeding a poor person for every fast that is missed during Ramadhaan) for sick/pregnant people?
Wa alaykum Assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh Sister.
Iftaar is not allowed for all pregnants ...But its Allowed in cases ( A pregnant woman is obliged to fast, just like anyone else, unless she fears for herself or for her baby, in which case it is permissible for her not to fast. )

1-read more here
2-another related fatwa

Is it okay to feed poor non muslims?
Feeding non Muslims from Fidyah is not Allowed because its obligatory to give fidyah to feed poor muslims , though its GOOD to feed poor non muslims but not from fidyah.

the following Quote is benificial though its not talking directly about Fidyah But fidyah is obligatory for each missed day :

Imaam al-Shaafa'i said: “There is nothing wrong with giving charity to a mushrik as a naafilah (supererogatory) action, but he has no right to charity from the obligatory ( like zakaah). Allaah praised people who, as He says (interpretation of the meaning): ‘… they give food, inspite of their love for it (or for the love of Him), to the Miskeen (the poor), the orphan, and the captive’ [al-Insaan 76:8].” (Kitaab al-Umm, part 2).
also read this its benificial insha Allah

so the summary : feed and give poor muslims only when ever ( in case of obligatory feeding and paying ) otherwise we can feed non muslims.

Muslims don't exactly go walking around telling everyone they are poor, so how are we meant to know? Is it okay to pay a charity organization to feed a poor (muslim) person in another country?

Please give evidence with your answers insha Allaah.
Jazakum Allaah khayr in advance.

:w:[/QUOTE]

Insha Allah you can pay a charity organization ( trusted as possible ) to feed a poor muslim person in another country.
because you should give fidyah anyway . so if you didn't find a poor muslim in your country then you may send them to another country for poor muslims.

For example shykh ibn uthaymeen was asked : What is the ruling on sending zakaat al-fitr to distant ( as a similar example to your case) countries on the grounds that there are many poor people there?

He replied:

There is nothing wrong with sending zakaat al-fitr to another country on the grounds that there are no poor people in one's own country. But if that is done even though there are poor people who need it in one's own country, then it is not permissible.

the full fatwa :They are living in the west and do not know about any poor people –can they send their zakaat al-fitr to another country?

wa Jazakum Allahu khayran

Makky
08-31-2007, 12:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11

sis, thats all i could find. i couldn't find anything about whether they had to be Muslim or not.
Jazaki Allah khyran sister for your effort..

For obligatory feeding and payment its not permissible to give poor non-muslims , but it is permissible to give them regular charity ( not obligatory charity )..this is the rule

the direct fatwa

Pk_#2
08-31-2007, 01:00 PM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

jazakillahu khairun ^^ for those i needed them for a freind.

jazakAllah :D

Q: What is the difference between a Qadha and Kaffara?
A: Qadha (makeup) means to keep another fast in order to make up for the fast which was invalidated, whilst Kaffara (expiation) means to perform an act to expatiate the sin of having broken a fast.

Q: In what way is a Kaffara fulfilled?
A: A Kaffara may be given in the following two ways: 1) Fasting for two months consecutively without missing a single fast, 2) Feeding sixty poor people. It should be remembered that if one has the ability to fast then one cannot adopt the second method; rather, one will have to fast for sixty days continuously.

Q: Does one have to perform the Qadha fasts immediately after Ramadhan?
A: No, it is not necessary. However, it is recommended to complete the missed fasts of Ramadhan as soon as possible.

- Muhammad ibn Adam

Umu 'Isa
08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
ok jazakum Allaah khayr for that sis maryam and bro makky.

I've been advised to fast every one day on and one day off by a muslim doctor.. insha Allaah khayr.

Another question, does it matter how much I give in fidyah? like say if i give $10 a day? that is more than enough for a meal here in australia? also.. say if i send to a country where the currency exchange would make it a lot more than it is in australia? would that have any effect in how much I give?

Makky
09-01-2007, 01:24 PM
another question, does it matter how much I give in fidyah? like say if i give $10 a day? that is more than enough for a meal here in australia? also.. say if i send to a country where the currency exchange would make it a lot more than it is in australia? would that have any effect in how much I give?
For each day you should pay what is equivialent to 1/2 Saa' which is approx. = 1.5 kilogram from rice or dates or whatever you eat in your country.

note : in normal cases ( if you can find poor muslims ) its not permisible to pay equivalent money .

I don't know how much it costs there in Australia but i guess $10 are much enough ..I don't know.

so if you are going to fast 15 days only then the rest 15 days will cost you $150 or you can calculate if you want to reduce for each day pay what is equivalent to 1.5kg from whatever you eat there.

read this for more knowledge :
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=49944&ln=eng

Ummu Sufyaan
09-02-2007, 04:25 AM
ok jazakum Allaah khayr for that sis maryam and bro makky.

I've been advised to fast every one day on and one day off by a muslim doctor.. insha Allaah khayr.

Another question, does it matter how much I give in fidyah? like say if i give $10 a day? that is more than enough for a meal here in australia? also.. say if i send to a country where the currency exchange would make it a lot more than it is in australia? would that have any effect in how much I give?
ya iyyaaki sis.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.