/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Study Tips

tryinghard
08-30-2007, 01:39 PM
:sl: Many of us will be returning to the university or school soon. I think this is a good time for us to share some tips to study better and get better grades. I could also benefit from some advice. So any suggestions on how to get better grades/study more successfully?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*~Sofia~*
08-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Salams,

I found this site containing some reallly good tips on studying.. tips on things such as learning styles, time managemet (we all need these tips!) lol, preparing to study etc..

check out the link... hope it helps bro/sis :)

http://www.how-to-study.com/

w'salam :D

*~Sofia~*
08-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Salams again..

I would advise you to start studying as soon as u start uni/college/school.
I always leave things to the last minute, especially revision! :X and this just makes u panic. so regarding exams, i would advise to start ur revision as soon as u start uni or college. start making notes, go over what u did in class the same day, so its still fresh in your mind..

I would also advise that you do good in all coursework, essays, short answer tests etc.. I always think 'oh, i don't have to do really gud, just as long as its a pass' but believe me do not think like this! lol every mark counts towards the final results..I've just learnt this.. (after my 2nd year in uni!).

erm and just work hard really, work towards a goal, so you've got something to look forward to at the end of it. It gives u a boost once u've accomplished what u wanted.

Neway hope those few tips helps out in the future.

What are u studying (if u dnt mind my asking) :)

w'salam

jzcasejz
08-30-2007, 02:02 PM
As-Salaamu'alaykum

Jazaakillaahu Khayr Sofia, that link was good. The advice you gave was good aswell.

Another bit of advice is to start the 1500 word coursework on time...NOT on the actual day it is due in! :muddlehea

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*~Sofia~*
08-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Salams,

Jazakhallah for the nice comments..

Another bit of advice is to start the 1500 word coursework on time...NOT on the actual day it is due in!
^ lol yeh that would be a good idea to start it way before it's due in ;D
I always make this mistake too, leave it for a few days before it's due in, then panic sets in.. cant re-read or improve the essay, and then the grade is jus :X :( lol

so yeh gud advise..start essays wayyyy in advance :thumbs_up lol

w'salam

unknown_JJ
08-30-2007, 02:13 PM
and somtimes its better to research on d topic b4 d lesson starts( i no hardly n e 1 wud do dis ) bt it does help! trust

*~Sofia~*
08-30-2007, 02:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by unknown_JJ
and somtimes its better to research on d topic b4 d lesson starts( i no hardly n e 1 wud do dis ) bt it does help! trust
^ yeh gud tip :thumbs_up always do sum research before the lesson starts, even if it is a bit.. some teachers give u the topic that will be covered in the next lesson so jus read up on that topic, and the lesson will be much clearer too :D

im gonna do this in september when my lessons start too :)

w'salam

elmorro4lyf
08-30-2007, 02:17 PM
:sl:
All these tips luk realli useful and i realli need sum cos i'm such a lazy git!!!!! Inshallah they'll help me pass ma exams and i hope dat they'll benefit u as well.:okay:

unknown_JJ
08-30-2007, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *~Sofia~*
^ yeh gud tip :thumbs_up always do sum research before the lesson starts, even if it is a bit.. some teachers give u the topic that will be covered in the next lesson so jus read up on that topic, and the lesson will be much clearer too :D

im gonna do this in september when my lessons start too :)

w'salam
not only dat, ull b a head off d game in class n ull answer allll d questionz n every1z gna fink how cleva u r lool hehe :P

*~Sofia~*
08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by elmorro4lyf
All these tips luk realli useful and i realli need sum cos i'm such a lazy git!!!!! Inshallah they'll help me pass ma exams and i hope dat they'll benefit u as well.:okay:
^ ;D awwwww dnt worry, ur not the only one.. i get soo lazy sumtymes too.. but if you have a goal.. i guess it gives u some encouragment.. to get up and start studying.. this year im gonna do some hard-core studying man, its my last year of uni :scared:
argghhh im stressed already! lol

w'salam

*~Sofia~*
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by unknown_JJ
not only dat, ull b a head off d game in class n ull answer allll d questionz n every1z gna fink how cleva u r lool hehe :P
^ yeh that's wot i was thinking too.. (but didnt mention it) :giggling:

unknown_JJ
08-30-2007, 02:24 PM
^ yeh that's wot i was thinking too.. (but didnt mention it) :giggling:
hehe

elmorro4lyf
08-30-2007, 02:26 PM
^ ;D awwwww dnt worry, ur not the only one.. i get soo lazy sumtymes too.. but if you have a goal.. i guess it gives u some encouragment.. to get up and start studying.. this year im gonna do some hard-core studying man, its my last year of uni :scared:
argghhh im stressed already! lol

w'salam
Yeh i fink laziness is a realli big issue wen it cums 2 studyin but inshallah we'll all pass our exams wid flyin colours. i'm totally stressed about ma GCSES:grumbling

unknown_JJ
08-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Yeh i fink laziness is a realli big issue wen it cums 2 studyin but inshallah we'll all pass our exams wid flyin colours. i'm totally stressed about ma GCSES:grumbling
dnt stress u got bare tym 2 fix it up

*~Sofia~*
08-30-2007, 02:32 PM
^ yeh dnt worry sis elmorro4lyf, you'll do fine.. just work hard, study hard and it'll pay off in the end inshallah :D
what year are you in now?

w'salam

elmorro4lyf
08-30-2007, 02:37 PM
^ yeh dnt worry sis elmorro4lyf, you'll do fine.. just work hard, study hard and it'll pay off in the end inshallah :D
what year are you in now?

w'salam
Jazakallah 4 da advice but nufin is gunna stop me 4m stressin. i go 2 priv8 muslim skwl and i'm soo feelin da pressure. inshallah i'm gunna be in yr 11 dis year!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaargh:grumbling

seeker_of_ilm
08-30-2007, 02:53 PM

Heres a study tip:

Caffeine.

:w:

elmorro4lyf
08-30-2007, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

Heres a study tip:

Caffeine.

Salam bro
i dunno if dats such a gud idea (4 yung people) cos ma docs always tellin me drink less caffeine. A gud tip is eating almonds and raisins. I fink day help improve ur memory.

*~Sofia~*
08-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Jazakallah 4 da advice but nufin is gunna stop me 4m stressin. i go 2 priv8 muslim skwl and i'm soo feelin da pressure. inshallah i'm gunna be in yr 11 dis year!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaargh:grumbling
ohh dnt worry sister, u'll do fine... just study real hard.. my cuzin just finished skool, and mashallah she did really well :D she studied real hard and thats the key.. and you'll pass wid flying colours too inshallah :D

theres some du's that u can read too, for stress, exams etc, look in the education section :)

w'salam
x

*~Sofia~*
08-30-2007, 02:58 PM
^ yeh ma mum is always feedin me almonds to improve ma memory! ;D

even reciting :rabbi zidni ilma' helps :)

w'salam

tryinghard
08-31-2007, 08:36 PM
:sl: Sofia, I'm studying science, so I'm always looking for ways to improve my study habits. That site was really helpful. What are the rest of you studying?

I think time management and organization are key to succeeding in courses, more so than natural abilities. At the same time, asking your teacher when you need help and studying in advance (not procrastinating) are also useful.

To the person who mentioned caffeine, I'm not so sure how beneficial that is. Yes, it may give you short bursts of energy and enable you to stay up all night but sleeping and eating properly are also very important.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have difficulty concentrating while fasting. Insha Allah, Allah will help us get through our schoolwork.

*~Sofia~*
09-01-2007, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tryinghard
:sl: Sofia, I'm studying science, so I'm always looking for ways to improve my study habits. That site was really helpful. What are the rest of you studying?

I think time management and organization are key to succeeding in courses, more so than natural abilities. At the same time, asking your teacher when you need help and studying in advance (not procrastinating) are also useful.

To the person who mentioned caffeine, I'm not so sure how beneficial that is. Yes, it may give you short bursts of energy and enable you to stay up all night but sleeping and eating properly are also very important.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have difficulty concentrating while fasting. Insha Allah, Allah will help us get through our schoolwork.

Salams,

im studying biomedical science in uni, at first i was really strugglin with studying as it's up to you mostly. Have to do lots of private study and i soo wasnt use to it! but you just have to start as soon as you start the semester, make good notes that you understand, and go over them every day..i think thats the best way for you to understand and remember it.
And try to understand how everything links together, coz in science it always does! all the modules somehow connect with each-other and if you understand all of that :thumbs_up

Time management is a must in while studying i have to say.. you have to be very organised and i think keeping a daily planner is helpful too.. so you know what you have to get done at the end of the day.

I find it real hard to concetrate while fasting too (i even find it hard when im not fasting! lol) i get real bad migraines and this doesnt help either :( but inshallah it will be fine this year..im hopin neway!

ill try thinking of more tips for u inshallah :)

so in a bit..

w'salam

*~Sofia~*
09-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Salams,

more tips :D

Make a detailed, realistic time-table for each week.

Construct a time-table for your contace, discretionary and leisure time.

Plan your studies weekly

- decide on priorities of the week
- Set goals for work to be done by the end of the week.

Plan your studies daily

- Plan the actual study time itself
- Have a specific objective fr each session
- Choose surrounding that are conductive for work
- Start work at once, writing something dwn will usually induce a studious frame of mind.
- Take short breaks.
- At the end of the day, decide whether u need to revise the timetable of the private study for the nxt day in order to reach ur target in the work to be studied.

How to study from books

- survey: take a quick look at the main details of the txt
- Question: work out ur own questions to be applied to the txt
- Read: read the chapter in the usual way looking for the main topic
-Recall: go back and make notes on the important points.
-Review: check that u have answered the questions u set urself and that ur notes are accurate.

Hope these tips help.. if you need tips on something particular jus ask away inshallah :)

w'salam :)

ahsan28
09-01-2007, 01:22 PM
So the issue " How To study" is related to sis only, hardly noticed participation by brothers :D

Please carry on :)

*~Sofia~*
09-01-2007, 01:35 PM
^ lol tru brother, luks like not many brothers out there do any studying :X

have you got any tips brother?

jzcasejz
09-01-2007, 01:39 PM
MashaAllaah, this thread's got some excellent advice! JazaakAllaahu Khayran! :)

ahsan28
09-01-2007, 08:45 PM
have you got any tips brother?

Sis, I can only wish u good luck, professional courses particularly have their own dynamics and tips in general hardly prove beneficial.

Concentrate on your studies, this is the biggest tip :D

*~Sofia~*
09-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Salams,

:D a brother gave a tip regarding studying..woohoo ! lol

Concentrate on your studies, this is the biggest tip
^ yeh that is a real gud tip actually, concentrate and you will get far inshallah :D :thumbs_up

w'salam

*~Sofia~*
09-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Salam,

I came across this website on more studying tips.. this site is reallllly gud actually.. covers a wide range of issues, so i think it'll deffo cum in handy :)

Got some real gud tips here, so check it out inshallah :D

http://www.studygs.net/

w'salam

ahsan28
09-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Good tips, but what about the tips to remain awake throughout the night, when you are close to the exams :-\

1. Keep a needle and prick your fingers, when you feel sleepy.

2. Take shower with cold water even during winters. One shower will keep you awake for atleast 3 hours, after that you may feel the urge to go to the bed and need another shower to overcome :D

These two tips worked very effective for me atleast, but if pricking causes little pain, dont blame me, risk is yours :D

chand
09-03-2007, 10:22 AM
^^^^ hahah yh ill try that out..nice link sis sofia

*~Sofia~*
09-03-2007, 12:30 PM
^ Salams,

Glad you found the link useful Chand, I did too :D

w'salam

ahsan28
09-03-2007, 12:32 PM
What about my tips :cry:

*~Sofia~*
09-03-2007, 12:48 PM
^ lol, ur tips are gud too bro :D keep em cumin :thumbs_up

w'salam

piXie
09-03-2007, 04:16 PM
:salamext:

some more revision tips:

a) dont skive :D [unless u have th brains to catch up ]

b) always have breakfast :p *wid protein n vitamin C*

c) daily intake of vitamin C is vital unless u are plannin on catchin a zukaam so u can stay at home n avoid angry teachers demandin over due essays :phew

d) Be nice by helping your class mates wid their revision. :smile:

e) Avoid High blood pressure - hide ur fat revision guides and take out ur skinny ones.

f) Research shows that th mind takes in most info in a relaxed state - so record all your notes on tape, and play em while u sleep. :playing:

g) dont remain awake throughout the whole night, unless u wanna sleep throughout the whole day. :blind:

------
09-03-2007, 04:18 PM

daily intake of vitamin C is vital unless u are plannin on catchin a zukaam so u can stay at home n avoid angry teachers demandin over due essays
Yeh trust piXie on that one!!! :D :lol:

*~Sofia~*
09-04-2007, 03:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie

some more revision tips:

a) dont skive :D [unless u have th brains to catch up ]

b) always have breakfast :p *wid protein n vitamin C*

c) daily intake of vitamin C is vital unless u are plannin on catchin a zukaam so u can stay at home n avoid angry teachers demandin over due essays :phew

d) Be nice by helping your class mates wid their revision. :smile:

e) Avoid High blood pressure - hide ur fat revision guides and take out ur skinny ones.

f) Research shows that th mind takes in most info in a relaxed state - so record all your notes on tape, and play em while u sleep. :playing:

g) dont remain awake throughout the whole night, unless u wanna sleep throughout the whole day. :blind:
Salams,

LOL piXie, those tips were ---> ;D but really gud too :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Jazakhallah for sharing sis :D

w'salam

SpazzBurd
09-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Study in small sections, then take a brief break, and then return to studying. So, study for 30 minutes or an hour, take a break for 5-10 minutes, then go back to studying.

When you've been studying all day, stop at the end of the day when you're getting very tired and can't concentrate.

When trying to remember information, try to figure out something that will connect that information to something you know.

Eat a snack when you start to feel tired. Or get up and walk/stretch a bit.

Before a test, review all information. Flashcards and rewriting notes is helpful.

Taking one day off a week, when you do something fun and no studying will refresh you.

This is what's worked for me, and I'm studying nursing.

جوري
09-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Haven't browsed through the replies sufficiently and I shall insha'Allah
My own idea of study tips.. depends on how competitive or I should say militant you are.. here is my ten step program to success ...
1- start with great stationary.. I love getting those calendars with a nice tabular array so you can chart your progress. I believe that to be an essential an absolute essential!.. put everything you've done down.. I can look at my calendar and know exactly what I did on july 12 from 12-5
or what I did on wed May 16th at 8 Am-- even put down how much time you took for lunch or a break..
and those days when I have goofed off.. I give myself demerits -- if I get ten demerits then --- well you can punish yourself in the way you please..
2-indulge go out there and get yourself a great fountain pen you deserve it :lol:
3- live a life of hermitage.. yes maybe the cyber world will be your far away escape on some days.. maybe you'll alienate your family and friends.. but it doesn't matter.. because you have a goal and it is to excel..
4- don't preoccupy yourself with the progress of others around you or your aunti whose daughter or son has a B.S, M.S, M.D, PhD in three different fields by age 13.. I don't know why folks always bring such topics of how wonderful their kids or the neighbors kids, this is about you.. value yourself and chart your progress.. you are racing and struggling against your own self not hanging around other people's achievements.
5- remember that slow and consistent, uniform steps are key to getting there, not cramming two nights before a test.
6- if you have a difficulty with any subject raise your hand and ask questions.. chances are if you are clueless other people in your class are clueless too.. except for that one smelly unkempt kid in the corner, but who cares about him..
7- don't let your work pile on you.. honestly if you say I am tired today, will make up for time lost this weekend you are doomed.. the key is to break things down so you aren't overwhelmed
8- if a concept isn't explained to you clearly buy one of those books for dummies.. I think they are excellent.. I got to tell you back when I was doing organic chem I wish I had one of those, would have saved me painful long hours into the morning for a mediocre outcome.
9- get close to God.. he is your true friend your only sincere friend.. and the only one you can beg..
10- you are on your way to be a productive member of this umma insha'Allah

*~Sofia~*
09-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Salams,

Wow, purestAmbrosia your 10step programme to success is excellent :thumbs_up reallly gud advise sister :D After reading it i have honestly learnt a thing or two..JazakAllah Khair :)

Keep the wiked advise cumin sister, im sure other people are benefitting from it too! :)

W'salam ukhtee
x

p.s Spazzburd, ur tips are :thumbs_up too! :)

ahsan28
09-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Salams,

After reading it i have honestly learnt a thing or two..)

Ten points and learning only a thing or two :D

*~Sofia~*
09-05-2007, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28
Ten points and learning only a thing or two :D
hehe ;D you know what i mean.. :D

جوري
09-05-2007, 11:31 PM
:lol: maybe because I only wrote two things in there that are worth while? Anyhow I wish everyone here much success insha'Allah..
reading through other people's advise is actually brilliant too.. then you can combine what works and get rid of the extraneous detail that doesn't apply to you.
Perhaps if I can sum it up in one take home message it would be to get organized and not let things pile up on you and to seek help when you need it!
Thank you all for reading.. you honor me when you do so

Yanal
09-06-2007, 01:49 AM
asalam alakum i like sofia idea nice website MashAllah

kwolney01
09-06-2007, 01:52 AM
I think if you just stay un top of your work you'll be just fine. Just find a time to study and to do assignments..I'm a college freshment right now and I find that its easier to stay on top of things to do things in advance so you won't have to worry about them..hope this helps

*~Sofia~*
09-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Salams

maybe because I only wrote two things in there that are worth while?
Nooooo,they were all really gud tips sis, i did learn more than 2 things :D but i just thought the saying was 'learnt a thing or two' even tho u've learnt more just 2 things? :-\
:lol: neway

asalam alakum i like sofia idea nice website MashAllah
^ Jazakhallah Yanal :statisfie

w'salam

p.s im loving this thread lol finding so many tips useful :coolious:

ahsan28
09-06-2007, 08:14 AM
[ so many tips useful :coolious:

Implementation is equally important :D

09-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Here's a simple and easy way of getting excellent grades:D:
No.1 Attend all your lessons
No.2 Complete all homeworks
No.3 DON'T leave essays till the last possible moment :X

(not like i have a right to speak :hiding:)

InToTheRain
09-09-2007, 01:31 PM

This brother (Very intelligent Mash'Allah, got the A's like he was re-doing his A-Levels after taking a PHD for time pass) I met in college one told me there was one guy he could never beat back home in Yemen.

He couldn't beat him because he made his parents lock him inside his room and bring his food through a hole in the bottom :uuh: sounds like a prison but that's determination for you :x

ahsan28
09-09-2007, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z.AL-Rashid
he made his parents lock him inside his room and bring his food through a hole in the bottom :uuh: sounds like a prison but that's determination for you :x
People do that but normally during competitive exams :D

09-10-2007, 10:21 AM
wow..:uuh: i think i need someone to do that to me sometime :X but i'll probably just end up daydreaming of what i'm gonna do when i get out ;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.