/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Who or What is Aljazeera?

NoName55
09-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Note: This thread/post/poll is like a riddle and may be a Little bit deceptive

Many Muslims swear by its integrity, are you one of the fan-boys?

Many kafirs rub our noses in it too by saying; well CNN did not say such and such, your aljazeera did

so I thought it was time to see who aljazeera was and found some very interesting facts

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Md Mashud
09-01-2007, 02:00 PM
From what I know, truth in stories is mandatory in Al-Jazeera, in terms of non-bias and full story, otherwise you will be accountable with some serious punishment :O (I wouldn't want to be a journalist for them). This is not the same for BBC/CNN, there really isn't any punishment :)

NoName55
09-01-2007, 02:10 PM
:sl:

were the questions unclear? I did not ask for a promo for al-jazeera, I asked:

is aljazeera
a Muslim company
or
a Time Warner subsidiary
or
Partly owned by CNN
or
not intrested

I hope that is a bit clearer now

Trumble
09-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Last I heard Al-Jazeera was owned by the Qatari government (i.e the emir of Qatar), although they/he were trying to privatise it as it was actually losing money and needed large government subsidies to keep it going. Has that happened now? If so, has the nature of its output actually changed recently to evidence any inference in editorial independence?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul Fattah
09-01-2007, 02:36 PM
I fail to see how polls help to find out who has or hasn't gotten ownership. Instead it will only help you find out who people "think" have ownership. So how about you tell us your real purpose for this thread :)
(ps: Just so you know where I'm coming from, I don't have aljazeera on my tv, so I never watch it, nor do I have a clue of whether or not they are objectively)

'Abd al-Baari
09-01-2007, 02:36 PM

According to wiki^ your right :)
Further to the initial US$ 150 million grant from the Hamad bin Khalifa Emir of Qatar, Al Jazeera had aimed to become self-sufficient through advertising by 2001, but when this failed to occur, the Emir agreed to continue subsidizing it on a year-by-year basis (US$30 million in 2004,[9] according to Arnaud de Borchgrave). Other major sources of income include advertising, cable subscription fees, broadcasting deals with other companies, and sale of footage.[10] In 2000, advertising accounted for 40% of the station's revenue.[11]

NoName55
09-01-2007, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
I fail to see how polls help to find out who has or hasn't gotten ownership. Instead it will only help you find out who people "think" have ownership.
(PS: Just so you know where I'm coming from, I don't have aljazeera on my TV, so I never watch it, nor do I have a clue of whether or not they are objectively)

That is the idea, to find level of awareness in fan-boys, neutrals and detractors alike.
So how about you tell us your real purpose for this thread :)
After I have built up a picture of level of knowledge (or lack thereof) in LI membership, I shall post my real findings

:w:

Trumble
09-01-2007, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
That is the idea, to find level awareness in fan-boys and detractors alike. After I have built up a picture of level of knowledge (or lack thereof) in LI membership, I shall post my real findings
Why does the LI membership have to be either an Al-Jazeera fanboy or an Al-Jazeera detractor? As I said, the answer (whatever it may be) is irrelevant unless you can demonstrate that editorial integrity has been compromised, so couldn't you just make whatever point you have to make?

NoName55
09-01-2007, 04:47 PM
^^ Not yet

nevesirth
09-01-2007, 05:27 PM
yeah, make ur point. i think the poll is unnecessary, even the options seem incomplete.

NoName55
09-01-2007, 05:45 PM
^^ yah, you can delete it the day you become a mod, for now mind your own business unless you have an opinion/info on aljazeera, butt out

Muezzin
09-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Calm down, bros.

nevesirth
09-01-2007, 06:00 PM
^^ yah, you can delete it the day you become a mod, for now mind your own business unless you have an opinion/info on aljazeera, butt out
lol u seem very angry, ok go ahead with the suspense, ill mind my own business. 'butt out'? thts a nice way to make a point, u are a genius:sl:

sorry, i dint even notice u were the annoyed one. hence ur quick temper.calm down

NoName55
09-01-2007, 06:05 PM
yup gotta live up to the the title ;D

snakelegs
09-01-2007, 06:13 PM
i voted #1, though i am afraid you are going to tell us #2 or #3....

nevesirth
09-01-2007, 06:15 PM
i watch aljazeera english everyday for the latest news updates, i feel they are quite objective in their reporting, they dont seem biased or one sided. i trust their reports more than the likes of cnn, but i sincerely dont know who owns the network
ps my favoourite programme is 'witness' presented by rageh omar.

snakelegs
09-01-2007, 06:27 PM
i often use their english website for a news source.
i am thinking of aljazeera.net.
there is also an aljazeera.com which is very different.

Woodrow
09-02-2007, 02:49 AM
because of international Trade Mark laws.

aljazeera and al Jazeera are two separate companies. aljazeera and it's subsidiaries are a British founded company. Which is probably a subsidiary of either Time-Warner or CNN.

al Jazeera and it's subsidiaries is a Qatar owned company.

two totaly seperate groups. since the question is asking about alJazeera I guessed as to whether it was owned by CNN or Time-Warner.

NoName55
09-02-2007, 02:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
because of international Trade Mark laws.

aljazeera and al Jazeera are two separate companies. aljazeera and it's subsidiaries are a British founded company. Which is probably a subsidiary of either Time-Warner or CNN.

al Jazeera and it's subsidiaries is a Qatar owned company.

two totally separate groups. since the question is asking about alJazeera I guessed as to whether it was owned by CNN or Time-Warner.

This is what I was waiting for [(comment from a member respected by majority) as I am low on credibility scale because I am having to share my account with son and grand children)] Notice how none of these "experts" spotted the difference?

Now thread can be closed or may remain open as I do not care one way or the other since cat is out of bag on one of the biggest legally played con tricks on the world so far.

I was originally going to wait for members to praise Qatari company's journalists and so I could post their bios/CVs to show what their back grounds were, i.e who knew who, who paid who, whose daddy got who the job, who all but fawned at the feet of incoming US troop on the day Baghdad fell.

edit:
I would have also wanted to discuss what or who aljazeera and al Jazeera have in common

edit2:
East or west north south or any place BBC is the only corporation that has any amount of integrity and is the best.

edit3: out of 230 visitors to this page only one person knew, that leaves almost 99.5% who have no clue and 7 are happy with not knowing, as reflected by poll result.

north_malaysian
09-03-2007, 03:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nevesirth
ps my favoourite programme is 'witness' presented by rageh omar.
me too...

I dont give a d@mn whosoever owns it... as long it provides informations, news and stories....

snakelegs
09-03-2007, 03:48 AM

This is what I was waiting for [(comment from a member respected by majority) as I am low on credibility scale because I am having to share my account with son and grand children)] Notice how none of these "experts" spotted the difference?

Now thread can be closed or may remain open as I do not care one way or the other since cat is out of bag on one of the biggest legally played con tricks on the world so far.

I was originally going to wait for members to praise Qatari company's journalists and so I could post their bios/CVs to show what their back grounds were, i.e who knew who, who paid who, whose daddy got who the job, who all but fawned at the feet of incoming US troop on the day Baghdad fell.

edit:
I would have also wanted to discuss what or who aljazeera and al Jazeera have in common

edit2:
East or west north south or any place BBC is the only corporation that has any amount of integrity and is the best.

edit3: out of 230 visitors to this page only one person knew, that leaves almost 99.5% who have no clue and 7 are happy with not knowing, as reflected by poll result.
i think i'm having one of my slow days. i'm really confused.
http://english.aljazeera.net/English/ - are you talking about this one?
if so, i too have allowed myself to be conned.
i find it confusing because there is also
http://www.aljazeera.com/

could you address this one a bit?

snakelegs
09-03-2007, 03:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
me too...

I dont give a d@mn whosoever owns it... as long it provides informations, news and stories....
it is very important to know where the money comes from with a news source so that you can evaluate its credibility!

north_malaysian
09-03-2007, 03:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
it is very important to know where the money comes from with a news source so that you can evaluate its credibility!
nah.. just seeing the contents of the news and how it's presented can show the neutrality.

P/s: I LOVE "LISTENING POST" too

Umu 'Isa
09-03-2007, 04:09 AM
:salamext:
Thread closed, as requested.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.