/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Swaziland's king ponders 14th wife

Tania
09-04-2007, 06:03 AM
"Tens of thousands of chanting, ... maidens have paraded before the King of Swaziland, many of them hoping to catch his eye and be picked out to become his 14th wife.

Unmarried girls and women of Swaziland gather for the annual Umhlanga at the residence of King Mswati III

The annual Umhlanga, or reed dance, which finishes today at the royal residence in Ludzidzini, is a magnificent display of national tradition and pride in one of Africa's smallest countries.

Officials claimed that 100,000 unmarried girls and women, almost 10 per cent of the entire population, presented the Queen Mother, or Indlovukazi - Great She-Elephant - with newly cut reeds to act as a windbreak around her compound.

As part of the ceremonies, Mswati III, Africa's last absolute monarch, is entitled to choose a new bride from among the maidens to add to his current 13 wives. It is an honour that cannot be refused."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../wswazi103.xml

We talked so much about 4 what do you say about 14 :? :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
09-04-2007, 06:10 AM
14 is haram actually, well of course according to Islam.

That is why Islam limit it to 4 because during the olden days, people have more than 5 wives. Even in China the royalty has more than 20s of concubines. Just imagine the children...lol

Tania
09-04-2007, 06:19 AM
He has already 27 children :)
But how can 13 women understand each other :? Also, he has over 200 milion dollars fortune so i presume may be the harmony between wive could stand in the fact they are not living in the same place.

syilla
09-04-2007, 06:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
He has already 27 children :)
But how can 13 women understand each other :? Also, he has over 200 milion dollars fortune so i presume may be the harmony between wive could stand in the fact they are not living in the same place.
They may have jealousy, but if they can control it the jealousy it wouldn't be that bad.

I don't think they have to understand each other to get along. Just play nice and enjoy the things that they have. If he knows how to choose and control his women, i guess maybe they don't have much of a conflict. :ooh: +o(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tania
09-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Can you imagine 13 women fighting :giggling:
Also, when they are going in vacations. They need rooms for 41 persons.

jzcasejz
09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
Can you imagine 13 women fighting :giggling:
^ Lol, that'd be complete chaos! Anwyays, interesting news, thanks for sharing.

Al-Zaara
09-04-2007, 11:07 AM
It is an honour that cannot be refused.
As a non-Swazili and a Muslim I can say: Refused. :p (not like I was asked, lol)

Interesting news. And about the wives, I agree with sis syilla, it can be worked out.

It's kinda like if they are more, you can't get so jealous, it wouldn't help you in any way, you could actually just be invisible in the husband's eyes. lol While 4 can better keep an eye on each other and the space isn't as big as for the 14 wives who can't keep on track what all those women are doing, if you get what I mean.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-04-2007, 11:13 AM
:sl:
what self-respecting mother would let her daushther be displayed/paraded like that!:? its beyond me, really.

Al-Zaara
09-04-2007, 11:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
what self-respecting mother would let her daushther be displayed/paraded like that!:? its beyond me, really.
Aleykum selam,

Well sister, when trying to understand others, we always have to go beyond ourselves I guess. Different culture, different values... Almost different everyhting, actually.

In their eyes, as said in the article - ' it's a great honour ', so it's not too hard for me to understand why the mothers feel proud if their daugther was displayed in a way that she was chosen to be the new Queen. :)

Ummu Sufyaan
09-04-2007, 11:21 AM
good point, yes. it is important to step out side the square, so to speak.

Tania
09-04-2007, 01:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
^ Lol, that'd be complete chaos! Anwyays, interesting news, thanks for sharing.
I found facts about another king of Swaziland :) :

King Sobhuza II (1899 - 1982) married 70 wives, who gave him 210 children between 1920 and 1970 (i.e. three children per wife, on average). About 180 children survived infancy, and ninety seven sons and daughters are alive today (July 2000).
Source: http://www.sntc.org.sz/cultural/swaziculture1.html

Haidar_Abbas
09-04-2007, 07:19 PM
:sl: if you fear Allah(SWT) then act according to Al Quran and ahle Sunnah of al RoosuluAllah(SAW) ..i say no more..14 wives too too much :sl:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.