/* */

PDA

View Full Version : hOrOsCoPeS .. why is it haram?

deen_2007
09-04-2007, 10:04 PM
:sl: :sunny:

....whenever i come accross someone reading horoscopes...(someone muslim).....i do advise them not to read it as its haram/not good to.

....but truely i cannot give a detail, suffiecient reason to why its haram/ad to read the horoscopes.....:hiding: :embarrass

...obviously i know that horoscopes try to predict futures....and stuff.....hence i know thats one of the reasons....

so i was wondering....can some1 please help me understand the reasons to why its haram....so next time i can give a better reason.....:hiding:

thank you :w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Md Mashud
09-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Astrology, horoscopes, superstition and fortune-telling are all actions of jaahiliyyah (ignorance) which Islam came to show as false and to explain that they are shirk, because they involve depending on something other than Allaah and believing that benefit and harm come from something other than Him, and believing the words of fortune-tellers and soothsayers who falsely claim to have knowledge of the unseen in order to cheat people of their money and change their beliefs. The evidence (daleel) for that is the hadeeth narrated by Abu Dawood in his Sunan with a saheeh isnaad from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever learns anything of astrology has learned a branch of witchcraft (al-sihr)…” And al-Bazzaar narrated with a jayyid isnaad from ‘Imraan ibn Husayn that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He is not one of us who practises augury or has it done for him, who tells fortunes or has his fortune told, or who practises witchcraft or has that done for him.” Whoever claims to know some matter of the unseen either is a fortune-teller or is acting like a fortune-teller in some sense, because Allaah is the only One Who has knowledge of the unseen. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning);

“Say: ‘None in the heavens and the earth knows the Ghayb (Unseen) except Allaah…’” [al-Naml 27:65]

My advice to everyone who has anything to do with these matters is to repent to Allaah and ask for His forgiveness, and to depend only on Allaah and to put their trust in Him in all their affairs, whilst following the practical means that are prescribed or permitted in sharee’ah. They should give up these matters of jaahiliyyah, keep away from them and avoid asking the people who practise them or believe what they say, out of obedience to Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and in order to protect his commitment to Islam and his ‘aqeedah (religious belief).

deen_2007
09-04-2007, 10:50 PM
thank you....

deen_2007
09-04-2007, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
:sl: “Whoever went to a fortune-teller and asked about some matter (of the unseen) and believes him, his prayer will not be accepted for forty days” [Muslim]
.....which just made me wonder......fortune tellers.....

ok......tell me if im correct.....sometimes i feel that these 'so called' muslim haji's/hujurs/mullahs/priest etc (sorry dnt know any other name for them) sometimes act like fortune tellers....

what i mean is that...ive seen people go to them with problems.....and this priestlike guy tells them what the problem is, like black majic or whatever.....:-\ ....then he'd make some dua's infront of them, give them tabeez (some script you hand around the neck or arm) and advise them what to do.^o)

now are they not doing wrong?.....the claim to be proper knowledged muslims who somehow know how to heal blackmagiced patients?:-\

what ive found is that a lot of the asian comunity believe them, depend on them, and continously seek advice from them.

but yet they dnt believe they are doing anything wrong, as they claim they still ask allah for help....n this guy just helps them understand.....i dunno....im confused....

(for londerners..this guys based in bethnal green)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
deen_2007
09-04-2007, 11:01 PM
and oh yeah....i remember someone telling me that this guy says that he has a lot of good-jinns that help him protect those affected by blackmagic

Md Mashud
09-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Thats another complicated topic that you don't have to worry about - especially since alot of mixed opinions would arise, aswell as misconceptive represenetation of eachother!

Simply, lets not go there :)!

جوري
09-05-2007, 01:54 AM
you know it is an interesting issue indeed...
I knew a girl who was a slave to horoscopes and fortunetellers... her whole life and allowance seemed to revolve around it.. from what career she was to pursue to her ailments. Imagine going to a fortune teller instead of a doctor to let you know what is wrong with you.. I was really fed up with her and I just asked her, why do you become a slave to these conjectures?
Why do you hand your life over to someone who can play on your mind when God created you a free woman.. She wasn't Muslim.. it seemed to make sense to her for two days, but I knew she'd be back to her old ways -- it was an addiction with her... but it was sickening to me so I dumped her by changing my phone number :lol: I hope it doesn't make me cruel but one day I swear to God, she called me and said.. the fortune teller said, I was going to be miserable and not find love until I am 38-- followed by I am so glad you are my friend, I don't know how I am going to get through this?
Wonder if the fortune teller had told her of the impending doom in our friendship? I just think she brought misery and unhappiness to herself.. for even if some nice event or her soul mate were to show up, she wouldn't have picked up on it, she was after all to be miserable until she is 38... and she has a long way to go yet..
I hope things work out for her before she alienates herself and everyone else that is left around her with this miserable addiction..
Anyhow I know she was an extreme case, but people often start off small and end up in a big dump....

Abdul-Raouf
09-05-2007, 02:24 AM
:sl: Going to a fortune teller and believing what's been said, renders a person's prayers unaccepted by Allah for the next 40 days.

“Whoever went to a fortune-teller and asked about some matter (of the unseen) and believes him, his prayer will not be accepted for forty days” [Muslim]
Thanks bro..

Jazakallah Khair

Ummu Sufyaan
09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
:sl: Going to a fortune teller and believing what's been said, renders a person's prayers unaccepted by Allah for the next 40 days.

“Whoever went to a fortune-teller and asked about some matter (of the unseen) and believes him, his prayer will not be accepted for forty days” [Muslim]
:sl:
brother Alpha dude, you seem to be mistaken. please read the part coloured in red.

Her mother told her that a fortune-teller said that her marriage will be miserable!
Question:
my mother recently went to a fortune teller (which she is definetly not supposed to because it's haraam) and she was telling me that the fortune teller said that i will have a bad life if i marry my soon-to-be husband and that we will not stay together for more than 2 years.... i know that only Allah knows the future but i've been really worried by what she said....and what can i do to potentially "reverse"this from happening.... really i'm so confused i don't know what to think.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly: may Allaah reward you for your belief that Allaah alone knows the unseen – this is what we hope for you and for every sincere Muslim woman – and this is one of the essentials of faith in Allaah Alone.

But we wonder how, after saying this, you can be afraid of one who knows nothing of the unseen?

You have to be assured and put your trust completely in Allaah, for nothing will happen to you except that which has been decreed by Allaah.

Secondly:

The ruling on fortune-telling, i.e., soothsaying, and claiming to know the unseen, is that these are actions which condemn a person to Hell and put him beyond the pale of Islam.

Thirdly:

Fortune-tellers cooperate with the jinn; they are liars who cooperate with the shayaateen (devils), who do not help them except after they have changed their religion, and whoever changes his religion [leaves Islam] is to be executed. The ruling concerning those who go to them and believe them is that they are guilty of kufr; if they do not believe them, their prayers will still not be accepted from them for forty days.

The evidence (daleel) for the former is the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah, according to which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a fortune-teller and believes what he says, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 135; Abu Dawood, 3904; Ibn Maajah, 639; Ahmad, 9252. The hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Haakim (1/49), and al-Dhahabi agreed with him. Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said, it has two corroborating reports narrated by al-Bazzaar with good isnaads. See al-Fath, 10/217)

The evidence (daleel) for the latter is the report from one of the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a fortune-teller and asks him about anything, his prayers will not be accepted for forty days.” (Narrated by Muslim, 2230).

Fourthly:

How the fortune-teller gets his “information” was explained in the hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurayrah, in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah decrees a matter in heaven, the angels beat their wings in submission to His words, making a sound like a chain striking a rock. When the fear is banished from their hearts, they say, What is it that your Lord has said? They say: The truth, and He is the Most High, the Most Great. Then the one who is listening out hears that, and those who are listening out are standing one above the other” – Sufyaan [one of the narrators] demonstrated with his hand, holding it vertically with the fingers outspread. – “So he hears what is said and passes it on to the one below him, and that one passes it to the one who is below him, and so on until it reaches the lips of the soothsayer or fortune-teller. Maybe the meteor will hit him before he can pass anything on, or maybe he will pass it on before he is hit. He tells a hundred lies alongside it, but it will be said, Did he not tell us that on such and such a day, such and such would happen? So they believe him because of the one thing which was heard from heaven.” (narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4424).

Fifthly:

When the Shaytaan listens out to hear what the angels say to one another about the decree of Allaah, this is part of the knowledge of the seen, it does not not mean that the shayaateen have knowledge of the unseen. Then they add a hundred lies to that word, such as when a fortune-teller says that So and so will give birth to a boy, and the people see that he was right about that so they believe in him, but he adds lies about the child, saying that he will get married in such and such a year and will die in such and such a year and other such details. So he gains a high stature in people’s hearts and they seek to get close to him by bringing him gifts and money, and he makes a profession out of these lies when the people believe in him, and so he makes a living by haraam means.

Sixthly:

Not every fortune-teller is a kaahin (soothsayer). He may be a geomancer or reader of coffee-cups, because the kaahin, unlike the others, is one who receives information from the jinn. The others are just liars, but the same ruling applies to them, because they claim to have knowledge of the unseen, although the kaahin who cooperates with the shayaateen is more of a kaafir because the kufr of fortune-telling is compounded by the kufr of his interacting with the shayaateen, who do not give him what he wants until after he directed some acts of worship towards them in a manner which takes him out of Islam.

Seventhly:

You have to advise your mother not to go anywhere near these liars, lest she falls into sin or her good deeds are wiped out. Do not give up the idea of marriage, because marriage brings many benefits. It is an important matter which is part of the fitrah (natural inclinations of man) and of the religion. Your life will not be miserable, in sha Allaah; be optimistic and hope for a good and happy life. We ask Allaah to join you with a husband who is knowledgeable and righteous.

If something bad happens, and you marry someone with whom you are miserable, this is because of the decree of Allaah (qadaa’ and qadar), not because of what the accursed fortune-teller said or because he knows the unseen. This may happen as a test or trial. In any case, going ahead with the marriage – in addition to its own great benefits – will be a way of snubbing these liars and fortune-tellers, and those who believe in them. May Allaah help us and you to do all that is good. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=79...tune%20telling

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.