PDA

View Full Version : Bin Laden-as-Jesus Art Causes Stir



nevesirth
09-06-2007, 10:37 PM
SYDNEY, Sep 5, 2007 (UPI via COMTEX) -- An exhibit of Christian religious icons infused with Islamic overtones, including an image of Osama bin Laden as Jesus, has raised a stir in a Sydney gallery.

At first look, "Bearded Orientals: Making the Empire Cross" appears to be a portrait of Jesus. If viewers move a few feet to the side, however, the image changes into the face of bin Laden, the man behind the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks against the United States, The Washington Times reported Wednesday.

Bin Laden is shown in in the same pose as Jesus, with his eyes looking heavenward and a halo above his head.

"Well, people are obsessed with both, Christ and bin Laden; there's no difference," said a young art student who identified herself to the Times as Dominique. She said the piece is intended to be viewed as "a comparison of fundamentalism."

The artwork, one of more than 600 entries in the Blake Prize for Religious Art, was displayed days before U.S. President George Bush arrived in Sydney for a series of meetings with Australian leaders and the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit.



http://blog.beliefnet.com/news/2007/...-causes-st.php
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
09-06-2007, 10:41 PM
curse be on those who insult Eesa (jesus) alaihissalaam !

thats all i have to say :ooh:
Reply

wilberhum
09-06-2007, 11:16 PM
I wonder how many Australian Christian will burn down buildings and demand the repeal of freedom of speach laws that allow insults to there beliefs?
Reply

Md Mashud
09-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
I wonder how many Australian Christian will burn down buildings and demand the repeal of freedom of speach laws that allow insults to there beliefs?
They are too weak to do so! They wouldn't fight for their faith, maybe because its not strong enough.

:skeleton: (I thought Id add it since you are a fan of the skeleton face).
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
wilberhum
09-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Md Mashud
They are too weak to do so! They wouldn't fight for their faith, maybe because its not strong enough.

:skeleton: (I thought Id add it since you are a fan of the skeleton face).
The skeleton face does say a lot. :skeleton:

But I think you have mistaken tollorance for lack of faith. :?

Aussie's are a peacefull tollorant lot. They will do just fine. :giggling:
Reply

The_Prince
09-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
The skeleton face does say a lot. :skeleton:

But I think you have mistaken tollorance for lack of faith. :?

Aussie's are a peacefull tollorant lot. They will do just fine. :giggling:
so a few hundered Muslims who protested the denmark cartoon means that 1.5 billion muslims are not tolerant? very strange logic indeed...... (and we know your trying to imply that)

you see im not trying to stir things up but you just like making provocative statements dont you?
Reply

Md Mashud
09-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
The skeleton face does say a lot. :skeleton:

But I think you have mistaken tollorance for lack of faith. :?

Aussie's are a peacefull tollorant lot. They will do just fine. :giggling:
I never knew making fun of peoples belief was a tolerant act to begin with, why not go make jokes about colour of skin too :skeleton:

Why can't they make fun(fire) of your flag in that case :skeleton:

What goes around comes around. To act on it, is to make sure they don't do such intolerant acts to begin with again :skeleton:, which Im sure is the reason that Jesus is always made a joke out of, far more than our prophet :saw:. See, works out doesnt it :skeleton:

Acting for justice is a duty, to not act on injustice is cowardice :skeleton:

There is nothing cool, about being a punching bag :skeleton:

(I know this skeleton face is getting through to you)
Reply

snakelegs
09-07-2007, 03:40 AM
it would be interesting to see whether muslims or christians get the most offended, since muslims also have great respect for jesus.
Reply

north_malaysian
09-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
I wonder how many Australian Christian will burn down buildings and demand the repeal of freedom of speach laws that allow insults to there beliefs?
burn down ... whose building?^o) Danish?
Reply

guyabano
09-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Md Mashud
They are too weak to do so! They wouldn't fight for their faith, maybe because its not strong enough.

:skeleton: (I thought Id add it since you are a fan of the skeleton face).
I would call it 'Tolerance' and the ability to show a strong faith without getting hysterical and showing up violence, burning flags....
Reply

Muezzin
09-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah, can you guys possibly compliment Christians without in the same sentence bashing Muslims?

As well as for that matter, complimenting Muslims without bashing Christians.

Jeez, it's like reading a thread about video games consoles...
Reply

Md Mashud
09-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by guyabano
I would call it 'Tolerance' and the ability to show a strong faith without getting hysterical and showing up violence, burning flags....
There is no faith in being a punching bag to intolerant and ignorant religious comments from people who don't know the slightest of the religion, the Prophet :saw: or much to be honest...

I can imagine, you probably tell a black man who just punched someone for making alot of racist remarks, that he in the wrong and that he should have just tolerated it. No sir, we do not play this silly game. Punishment comes to those who provoke it. You insult Prophet :saw: infront a muslim, expect to get some shizzle at you :skeleton:

So sir, I think you should take your own advice, so what If I burn a countries flag, BE TOLERANT PLEASE?
Reply

Malaikah
09-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by snakelegs
it would be interesting to see whether muslims or christians get the most offended, since muslims also have great respect for jesus.
It is interesting... for me I don't see it as offensive at all*, mainly because it is about 'Jesus' the so called 'son of God' who was crucified... which is different from Isa, the Messenger of God, who was never crucified... I know it is the same person, but I never feel that connection being made with respect to cartoons like this. :mmokay:

*What I mean is that I do not get offended, but of course I get annoyed that people can be so disrespectful.
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
09-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by nevesirth
SYDNEY, Sep 5, 2007 (UPI via COMTEX) -- An exhibit of Christian religious icons infused with Islamic overtones, including an image of Osama bin Laden as Jesus, has raised a stir in a Sydney gallery.
Its offensive

Why these idiots are drawin such contoversial images.... jus want to get media attention..???
Reply

Isambard
09-07-2007, 01:58 PM
I wonder who has actually taken the time to actually look at it and wonder why it was drawn.

I mean do you look at The Persistence of Memory and just a bunch of melted clocks? Honestly folks, a little mental investigation into the symbolism goes a long way.

That said, the reason why I feel its such a compelling piece is because of the duo meaning that I feel the artist intended.

The first one is the one mentioned in the article, a comparison of fundamentalism. Think about it, historically both sides have used violence and terror to spread their ideology in blantant disregard for the more peaceful requirements of their respective religions.

The other is the attitude of Islamic fundamentalists. I am sorry to say, but I have encountered a good deal of muslims who feel that Bin Laden is some sort of hero and should be prayed for, to join him and kill/invade the infidels sort of mentallity. In this secondary meaning, the art is most apt because the degree this fundamentalists hold bid laden is at the same lvl christian fundamentalists hold Jesus (and conversly, some wish to convert the rest of the world by force).

Personally, I think its very small minded of a person to condemn a piece of work simply because it si controversial w/o looking at the symbolism. I am sorry if that offends, but it is how I feel.
Reply

Md Mashud
09-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Isambard
I wonder who has actually taken the time to actually look at it and wonder why it was drawn.

I mean do you look at The Persistence of Memory and just a bunch of melted clocks? Honestly folks, a little mental investigation into the symbolism goes a long way.

That said, the reason why I feel its such a compelling piece is because of the duo meaning that I feel the artist intended.

The first one is the one mentioned in the article, a comparison of fundamentalism. Think about it, historically both sides have used violence and terror to spread their ideology in blantant disregard for the more peaceful requirements of their respective religions.

The other is the attitude of Islamic fundamentalists. I am sorry to say, but I have encountered a good deal of muslims who feel that Bin Laden is some sort of hero and should be prayed for, to join him and kill/invade the infidels sort of mentallity. In this secondary meaning, the art is most apt because the degree this fundamentalists hold bid laden is at the same lvl christian fundamentalists hold Jesus (and conversly, some wish to convert the rest of the world by force).

Personally, I think its very small minded of a person to condemn a piece of work simply because it si controversial w/o looking at the symbolism. I am sorry if that offends, but it is how I feel.
You made 1 major flaw. All of Osama Bin Laden's doings, are in no way related to religion - Any work of Isa you can argue otherwise.

Bin Ladens motives and actions were of political provoked. Mainly, these had branched from the untolerable (for him) presence of American militia in Islamic countries (i.e. Saudi Arabia) - Who remembers the attack on a hotel, in Saudi Arabia, against those American soliders? As we can see, this has nothing religious about it, he is against occupation. This is in the realms of military/economical and intelligence tactics, not religion, not 1 bit.

Bin Laden/Al Qaeda work on that, you do injustice to us, we do it back to you. Its not Islamic actions. His idea is not to convert many to Islam, nor is his motive that its because the people are not Muslim that he is attacking them.

I hope you understand this. You can say, he is a) against occupation and b) Making revenge attacks. Do not confuse this with religion. Just because he is apparently a Muslim, does not make all his actions Islamic.

When people support Osama, they see him as a hero, fighting the evil invaders - Not as the Islamic preacher of the modern world! Even if he shouts he's doing it in the name of Allah, it won't make it a religious ACT, as the basis is not based on religion. Obviously he will say that, he is supposed to be a Muslim.

Still not convinced? Islam forbids killing of innocents/non-fighters. Hence, these attacks are truly non-religious.

This would be the same as comparing Hitler to Isa :RA:, just crazy...

So now, doesn't the symbolisation look very stupid/ignorant? Comparing a warmonger to a Messenger of Allah? I think so.
Reply

Karina
09-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Isambard
I wonder who has actually taken the time to actually look at it and wonder why it was drawn.

I mean do you look at The Persistence of Memory and just a bunch of melted clocks? Honestly folks, a little mental investigation into the symbolism goes a long way.

That said, the reason why I feel its such a compelling piece is because of the duo meaning that I feel the artist intended.

The first one is the one mentioned in the article, a comparison of fundamentalism. Think about it, historically both sides have used violence and terror to spread their ideology in blantant disregard for the more peaceful requirements of their respective religions.

The other is the attitude of Islamic fundamentalists. I am sorry to say, but I have encountered a good deal of muslims who feel that Bin Laden is some sort of hero and should be prayed for, to join him and kill/invade the infidels sort of mentallity. In this secondary meaning, the art is most apt because the degree this fundamentalists hold bid laden is at the same lvl christian fundamentalists hold Jesus (and conversly, some wish to convert the rest of the world by force).

Personally, I think its very small minded of a person to condemn a piece of work simply because it si controversial w/o looking at the symbolism. I am sorry if that offends, but it is how I feel.
I agree. It's about looking at how people view things. I know lots won't agree but it's just my humble opinion.

I don't think the artist intended for us to compare the two and look for similarities. I think it's more about what people perceive as "good" or "evil".
Perception has a lot to answer for.

For example, a lot of people hold Osama Bin Laden is very high regard despite his views - only yesterday I noticed someone on this website had referred to him as "Sheikh Bin Laden." That's perception.

Art is not intentionally created to offend - usually there's an underlying message.
Reply

barney
09-07-2007, 03:46 PM
The Sikhs smashed up a theater in birmingham as it "insulted" their religion. it was kinda local though. The Mohammed Cartoons were internationally demonstrated by tens if not hundreds of thousands, and included lots of Violence and threats. So out of 1.5 billion muslims a few hundred thousand demonstrating isnt really statistically significant. It makes news because the demonstraters WANT it to be high profile and use violence to acheive this. theres also a element of "make the dirty kuffar pay".

A worldwide non-violent co-ordinated demo would have had a much better effect. now when anyone mentions the cartoons, all thats remembered are Burning Buildings.
Reply

Amadeus85
09-07-2007, 04:01 PM
I am a christian and of course for me those (and hundreds of others) cartoons are meaningless.I mean, do they really believe that God cares about such silly things? He is above such things. I believe that those who made such cartoons would face Christ in the Judgement Day and then they will/or won't be judged. Its not good way to show our strength of faith by burning flags or throwing stones. I leave punishments for God. He will do what He wants.
Reply

wilberhum
09-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Md Mashud
There is no faith in being a punching bag to intolerant and ignorant religious comments from people who don't know the slightest of the religion, the Prophet :saw: or much to be honest...

I can imagine, you probably tell a black man who just punched someone for making alot of racist remarks, that he in the wrong and that he should have just tolerated it. No sir, we do not play this silly game. Punishment comes to those who provoke it. You insult Prophet :saw: infront a muslim, expect to get some shizzle at you :skeleton:

So sir, I think you should take your own advice, so what If I burn a countries flag, BE TOLERANT PLEASE?
Taking violent action against someone exercising there right to free speech is a crime.

Taking violent action against someone because you some how belong to the same group of a person who exercised there right to free speech is a hate crime.
Reply

Md Mashud
09-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Racism is excercising free speech too I guess and we should be tolerant of it and not punish them! :skeleton:
Reply

Karina
09-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Hey back on topic people!!

:D
Reply

The_Prince
09-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
Taking violent action against someone exercising there right to free speech is a crime.

Taking violent action against someone because you some how belong to the same group of a person who exercised there right to free speech is a hate crime.
actually when you keep verbally insulting and mocking someone getting a punch and then crying foul play and 'crime' is only what a coward does. lets not act silly plz, if i kept hammering on someone verbally on and on and on and on im simply asking for a punch in the face, and if i get one i richly deserve it.

and the fact is alot of the comments and mockery of Islam comming from newspapers and writers in the west is meant to provoke, and to stir up trouble, i myself study journalism so i know journalists how they think and what the reaction their looking for when they write something..........theres a difference between free speech and being a pri*k, when you make pictures of the prophet with a bomb in his beard is this the way your actually calling for respectful dialog and to understand each other? if you say yes then your an idiot.

muslims arent against free speech, but as i said making pics of our prophet with a bomb in his beard is BOUND to irate a couple of hundred people to react violently, and all of you know this. and the same thing with a pope, you want to have a dialog of understanding? sure, no problem, but wow what a way to start it by saying muhammad brought nothing new or good, he was just a violent man prove me wrong! wow what a way to start a dialog eyyyyyyyyyy.

so lets all stop acting silly and stupid, as they say lets stop playing dumb, ppl who really want a mutual respectful dialog dont go about it by mockery sick pictures, nor by insulting provocating intros. how would it be for a dialog if i went to a christian and i started by saying the crucifixtion is a lie and myth invented by the anti-christ paul who was an agent of rome! is this going to lead to an actual fruitful dialog and understanding? not even close, the christian will become annoyed, and all hopes for a nice dialog and understandng is out the window!
Reply

wilberhum
09-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Md Mashud
Racism is excercising free speech too I guess and we should be tolerant of it and not punish them! :skeleton:
Yep! That is one on the down sides of freedom of speach.

I am willing to put up the down sides because if you eliminate them you will loose all the up sides.

Tollorance is the key.
Reply

Karina
09-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Anyway - back to the Bin Laden/Jesus topic.

I wonder what religion the artist is?
Reply

Md Mashud
09-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Free speech should be excercised to the limit in that people should not be restricted in giving opinions on certain issues. These were largely for, against political moves, not long ago, or in other countries, people are pretty much banned (theoretically) from criticising them (Look Russia).

As for, using this rule as a means to anger people, to mock belief, to make predujice on instincts such as race, colour, background - ALL OF THESE having 0% objective - You get no sympathy if you ended up getting punched in the face, no sir.

actually when you keep verbally insulting and mocking someone getting a punch and then crying foul play and 'crime' is only what a coward does
Ditto.

This is whats happening now..
Reply

wilberhum
09-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Karina
Anyway - back to the Bin Laden/Jesus topic.

I wonder what religion the artist is?
Probably one of those hate mongrel agnostics. :D

They are a vial filthy bunch. :hiding:
Reply

wilberhum
09-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Md Mashud
Free speech should be excercised to the limit in that people should not be restricted in giving opinions on certain issues. These were largely for, against political moves, not long ago, or in other countries, people are pretty much banned from criticising them (Look Russia).

As for, using this rule as a means to anger people, to mock belief, to make predujice on instincts such as race, colour, background - ALL OF THESE having 0% objective - You get no sympathy if you ended up getting punched in the face, no sir.



Ditto.

This is whats happening now..
people should not be restricted in giving opinions on certain issues.
Oh now the key issue. Who is going to identify what the certin issues?
Will they be universal? How do you enforce that? Who will write up all thoes laws?
You will open up a can of worms that will never be able to control.

Next step, elimination of freespeach. No thank you.:thumbs_do
Reply

barney
09-07-2007, 04:45 PM
OBL is seen by a proportion of muslims as a new caliph. Like it or lump it, he is followed adoringly by some and he's a religious fanatic. I suppose this is what the "artist" was trying to portray.

The other veiw is that "jesus is all about peace and tolerance" and "OBL is all about Slaughter". it's supposedly a "arty" thing to do to mix two opposites in a ironic way.
Reply

Al-Zaara
09-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Hello and selam aleykum,

Anyway - back to the Bin Laden/Jesus topic.
Exactly. Please refrain from going off-topic. Thank you and jazakAllah khair.


Byebye and selam aleykum.
Reply

The_Prince
09-07-2007, 04:49 PM
perhaps theres no meaning behind the painting?

perhaps he did it to get world wide attention?
Reply

------
09-07-2007, 04:49 PM
:salamext:

When will people be respectful of each other's religion?! :-\
Reply

wilberhum
09-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by barney
OBL is seen by a proportion of muslims as a new caliph. Like it or lump it, he is followed adoringly by some and he's a religious fanatic. I suppose this is what the "artist" was trying to portray.

The other veiw is that "jesus is all about peace and tolerance" and "OBL is all about Slaughter". it's supposedly a "arty" thing to do to mix two opposites in a ironic way.
I think this is about the only level headed response in this entire thread. :thumbs_up

IMHO the bold statment is most likely his view.
Reply

Karina
09-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by The_Prince
perhaps theres no meaning behind the painting?

perhaps he did it to get world wide attention?
(Just for clarification - Priscilla Bracks, the artist, is female)
Reply

Karina
09-07-2007, 05:06 PM
"When you observe these two people, their ethics could not be more different," she wrote on her website.

But, she added: "There is a very real possibility that by giving such significant media attention to those who commit crimes and advocate violence, we may inadvertently elevate of them to a status where, in some circles, they are perceived as sacred and holy - revered in the same way we revere Jesus."

Priscilla Bracks
Reply

Karina
09-07-2007, 05:09 PM
PS. I thought it was only fair to include the artists comments in this thread - so that she can (in some way) defend herself!!
Reply

Md Mashud
09-07-2007, 06:15 PM
in some circles, they are perceived as sacred and holy
Hang on, what? What circles?

Seriously, who treats OBL as sacred/holy? That would be unislamic to do so. I think people are missing point that he is just called a hero for fighting the "enemy", "occupationists" and "oppressors", same way one person may see Bush as doing that but no one would say Bush is Holy/sacred though...- Nothing more nothing less. Just because Muslims may defend him does not make it an act of glorifying to a status of sacred/holy, I see no comparison to Isa :RA:, the painter is obviously confused :skeleton:. This ideology comes when people think Islam is somehow involved in this. For the record, I don't support OBL.
Reply

Muezzin
09-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4
:salamext:

When will people be respectful of each other's religion?! :-\
When they grow up.

No time soon, then.
Reply

SirZubair
09-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by wilberhum
I wonder how many Australian Christian will burn down buildings and demand the repeal of freedom of speach laws that allow insults to there beliefs?
Muslims should join them init.... afterall,.. he is the beloved Prophet of Allah. I am sure there are some hardcore Christian Groups ( like the Unique People on the 'jesus camp' video ) who have thrown up a hissyfit. But wether the story makes it on the News is a different story altogether.

Originally Posted by Malaikah
It is interesting... for me I don't see it as offensive at all*, mainly because it is about 'Jesus' the so called 'son of God' who was crucified... which is different from Isa, the Messenger of God, who was never crucified... I know it is the same person, but I never feel that connect being made with respect to cartoons like this. :mmokay:
That is a very interesting way of looking at it ! :)

Originally Posted by barney
The Sikhs smashed up a theater in birmingham as it "insulted" their religion. it was kinda local though. The Mohammed Cartoons were internationally demonstrated by tens if not hundreds of thousands, and included lots of Violence and threats. So out of 1.5 billion muslims a few hundred thousand demonstrating isnt really statistically significant. It makes news because the demonstraters WANT it to be high profile and use violence to acheive this. theres also a element of "make the dirty kuffar pay".

A worldwide non-violent co-ordinated demo would have had a much better effect. now when anyone mentions the cartoons, all thats remembered are Burning Buildings.
Actually, there was a worldwide non-violent co-ordinated demo on at the same time, lead by men such as Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, he even did the same thing when the Pope made a booboo.

But, as always, the media only focused on whatever brought in the most amount of dough,... obviously the price of the Truth is no longer of any value.
Reply

Isambard
09-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Md Mashud
Hang on, what? What circles?

Seriously, who treats OBL as sacred/holy? That would be unislamic to do so. I think people are missing point that he is just called a hero for fighting the "enemy", "occupationists" and "oppressors", same way one person may see Bush as doing that but no one would say Bush is Holy/sacred though...- Nothing more nothing less. Just because Muslims may defend him does not make it an act of glorifying to a status of sacred/holy, I see no comparison to Isa :RA:, the painter is obviously confused :skeleton:. This ideology comes when people think Islam is somehow involved in this. For the record, I don't support OBL.
You should check out some of the other Islamic forums out there. There are places where he has quite a following where to condemn him is seen as 'being ungrateful to his struggles'. Such places also have an "interesting" version of history and events.
Reply

Isambard
09-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
When they grow up.

No time soon, then.
Could you imagine that applied universally? Would be "interesting" lol
Reply

SirZubair
09-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Isambard
You should check out some of the other Islamic forums out there. There are places where he has quite a following where to condemn him is seen as 'being ungrateful to his struggles'. Such places also have an "interesting" version of history and events.
There is an idiot in every bunch,.. so what? :)

Originally Posted by Isambard
Could you imagine that applied universally? Would be "interesting" lol
Knowing Muezzin, he proberly meant it Universally in the 1st place.
Reply

Isambard
09-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by SirZubair
There is an idiot in every bunch,.. so what? :)

True, but the number of idiots in Islam seems to be growing in correlation with the politicalization of the religion.

Knowing Muezzin, he proberly meant it Universally in the 1st place.
Considering the wide array of religious and political beliefs, such a mindset would lead to just about every being banned, even the religions themselves wouldnt be safe.

ie. There are some group thats feel the Qur'an itself is blasphomus and wish it to be banned.

Conversely, there are some palces (Saudi Arabia) where the bible is banned for the same reason.

I think the complete freedom to say whatever you want, but more importantly, to reply in turn is what is the only way to avoid double-standards.Placating "offended groups" is just being elitist.
Reply

Karina
09-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Md Mashud
Hang on, what? What circles?

Seriously, who treats OBL as sacred/holy? That would be unislamic to do so. I think people are missing point that he is just called a hero for fighting the "enemy", "occupationists" and "oppressors", same way one person may see Bush as doing that but no one would say Bush is Holy/sacred though...- Nothing more nothing less. Just because Muslims may defend him does not make it an act of glorifying to a status of sacred/holy, I see no comparison to Isa :RA:, the painter is obviously confused :skeleton:. This ideology comes when people think Islam is somehow involved in this. For the record, I don't support OBL.
If you read it again, she's not saying that at all.

Please re-review the text.
Reply

NobleMuslimUK
09-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Hold on its not only the muslims obsessed with Osama Bin Laden more so non muslims obsess over him and have given him such a high status through their media and other venues even fooling muslims into believing that Osama represents the whole Ummah.
Reply

Karina
09-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
Hold on its not only the muslims obsessed with Osama Bin Laden more so non muslims obsess over him and have given him such a high status through their media and other venues even fooling muslims into believing that Osama represents the whole Ummah.
I'm sorry to be controversial, but it would be nice to hear more Muslim voices detatching themselves as a whole from his actions and opinions......

Also, I would like to hope we (non Muslims) are not "obsessed" with the man - in some ways, in my opinion, he doesn't even deserve the time it's taken me to type this sentence.

The media are patially to blame yes of course, but it's like everything else in this world, the rest of us do have a voice (and I mean a voice, not a kilo of semtex), and we know how to use it but we just don't.
Reply

Isambard
09-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
Hold on its not only the muslims obsessed with Osama Bin Laden more so non muslims obsess over him and have given him such a high status through their media and other venues even fooling muslims into believing that Osama represents the whole Ummah.
Hence the reason for painting it. Its in the comment of the artist that Karina quoted.
Reply

Karina
09-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Isambard
Hence the reason for painting it. Its in the comment of the artist that Karina quoted.
That is EXACTLY her point!! And mine!
Reply

Keltoi
09-07-2007, 09:30 PM
These things don't even matter to me anymore. Whether its a Christ made of chocolate or a Christ that resembles a mass killer, the "shock" has worn off a long time ago. There are more important things for me to get angry about...like the season finale of The Sopranos.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 09:35 PM
  2. Replies: 106
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 04:11 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 09:17 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 10:12 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!