/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The passing away of Rasul'Allaah (saw) and the Companions (ra)

Abu Muhammed
09-07-2007, 01:45 AM
The passing away of Rasul'Allaah (saw) and the Companions (ra)

Rasul'Allaah (saw)

Five days prior to his passing Rasul'Allaah (saw) made wudhu and was helped to the Masjid where he addressed the people:

"He whom I have ever lashed his back, I offer him my back so that he may avenge himself on me. He whom I have ever blasphemed his honour, here I am offering my honour so that he may avenge himself."

Then he descended, and performed the noon prayer. Later he returned to the pulpit and said:

"Allaah, the Great, has given a slave of His the opportunity to make a choice between whatever he desires of Allaah’s provisions in this world, and what He keeps for him in the world, but he has opted for the latter."

Abu Sa‘îd Al-Khudri said: "Upon hearing that, Abu Bakr cried and said: ‘We sacrifice our fathers and mothers for your sake.’ We wondered why Abu Bakr said such a thing. People said: ‘Look at that old man! The Messenger of Allaah (saw) says about a slave of Allaah who was granted the right between the best fortunes of this world and the bounty of Allaah in the Hereafter, but he says: We sacrifice our fathers and mothers for your sake!’ It was later on that we realised what he had aimed at. The Messenger of Allaah (saw) was the slave informed to choose. We also acknowledged that Abu Bakr was the most learned among us."

On Sunday, a day before he died, the Prophet (saw) set his slaves free, paid as a charity the seven Dinars he owned and gave his weapons as a present to the Muslims. So when night fell ‘Aishah had to borrow some oil from her neighbour to light her oil-lantern.

When the pangs of death started, ‘Aishah leant him against her. She used to say: "One of Allaah’s bounties upon me is that the Messenger of Allaah (saw) died in my house, while I am still alive. He died between my chest and neck while he was leaning against me. He (saw) used a toothbrush to clean his mouth and then washed his face and said: "There is no God but Allaah. Death is full of agonies."

He then raised his hand or his finger up, looked upwards to the ceiling and moved his lips. So ‘Aishah listened to him. She heard him say: "With those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace with the Prophets and the Truthful ones (As-Siddeeqeen), the martyrs and the good doers. O Allaah, forgive me and have mercy upon me and join me to the Companionship on high." Then at intervals he uttered these words: "The most exalted Companionship on high. To Allaah we turn and to Him we turn back for help and last abode." This event took place at high morning time on Monday, the twelfth of Rabi‘ Al-Awwal, in the eleventh year of Al-Hijrah. He was sixty-three years and four days old when he died.

News of the great loss was soon known by everybody in Madinah. Dark grief spread on all areas and horizons of Madinah. Anas said: "I have never witnessed a day better or brighter than that day on which the Messenger of Allaah (saw) came to us; and I have never witnessed a more awful or darker day than that one on which the Messenger of Allaah (saw) died on."

Umar (ra) who was so stunned that he almost lost consciousness and stood before people addressing them: "Some of the hypocrites claim that the Messenger of Allaah (saw) died. The Messenger of Allaah (saw) did not die, but went to his Lord in the same way as Moses bin ‘Imran did. He stayed away for forty nights, but finally came back though they said he had been dead. By Allaah, the Messenger of Allaah (saw) will come back and he will cut off the hands and legs of those who claim his death."

Abu Bakr (ra) left his house at As-Sunh and came forth to the Masjid on a mare-back. At the Masjid, he dismounted and entered. He talked to nobody but went on till he entered ‘Aishah’s abode, and went directly to where the Messenger of Allaah (saw) was. The Prophet (saw) was covered with a Yemeni mantle. He uncovered his face and tended down, kissed him and cried. Then he said: "I sacrifice my father and mother for your sake. Allaah, verily, will not cause you to die twice. You have just experienced the death that Allaah had ordained."

Then he went out and found ‘Umar (ra) talking to people. He said: "‘Umar, be seated." ‘Umar refused to do so. People parted ‘Umar and came towards Abu Bakr, who started a speech saying: "And now, he who worships Muhammad (saw). Muhammad is dead now. But he who worships Allaah, He is Ever Living and He never dies. Allaah says:‘Muhammad (saw) is no more than a Messenger, and indeed (many) Messengers have passed away before him. If he dies or is killed, will you then turn back on your heels (as disbelievers)? And he who turns back on his heels, not the least harm will he do to Allaah, and Allaah will give reward to those who are grateful.’" [3:144]

Ibn ‘Abbas said: "By Allaah, it sounded as if people had never heard such a Qur’aanic verse till Abu Bakr recited it as a reminder. So people started reciting it till there was no man who did not recite it."

Ibn Al-Musaiyab said that ‘Umar had said: "By Allaah, as soon as I heard Abu Bakr say it, I fell down to the ground. I felt as if my legs had been unable to carry me so I collapsed when I heard him say it. Only then did I realise that Muhammad (saw) had really died."

[Extracts from Al-Raheeq al Makhtum]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Intisar
09-08-2007, 07:02 PM
:sl: :cry: :cry: That was so beautiful sub7anallah, jazakallah khair yaa Abu Muhmmed. Barakallahu feek.

UnknownMuslim
09-08-2007, 08:58 PM
JazakAllah Brother.

Abdul-Raouf
09-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Jazakallah khair bro...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abu Muhammed
09-09-2007, 02:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
:sl: :cry: :cry: That was so beautiful sub7anallah, jazakallah khair yaa Abu Muhmmed. Barakallahu feek.
:w: Ukthee Ameena*, Barak'allaahu Feeky my sister- it brings tears to our eyes when we read and reflect over such narrations.
format_quote Originally Posted by UnknownMuslim
JazakAllah Brother.
Barak'allaahu Feek Akhee UnknownMuslim- I am glad you found benefit in this masha'allaah.
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Jazakallah khair bro...
Barak'allaah Feek Akhee Abdul-Raouf, insha'allaah you and us have all learnt something from this.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.