/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Depression more harmful than angina, says study

ahsan28
09-07-2007, 05:11 AM
Depression more harmful than angina, says study

Alok Jha, science correspondent
The Guardian Friday September 7 2007

Depression can do more physical damage to a person's health than several long-term diseases, according to a study.

The World Health Organisation led the largest population-based study on the physical effects of several illnesses by analysing data from more than 245,000 people in 60 countries. The results, published today, showed that depression had more impact on sufferers than angina, arthritis, asthma, and diabetes.

Depression was the fourth leading cause of "disease burden" in 2000, a measure of the number of years of full health lost due to an illness. Projections by scientists at the Harvard School of public health suggest that, by 2020, depression will rise to become second only to heart disease in terms of disease burden.

In addition, suffering from depression along with another chronic disease produced significantly worse health than having one or more of the chronic diseases alone. "The need for timely diagnosis and treatment of depressive disorders to reduce the burden on public health is imperative," wrote Dr Moussavi. "In many primary care settings patients presenting with multiple disorders that include depression often don't get diagnosed, and if they do often treatment is focused towards the other chronic diseases."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ealthinsurance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
09-07-2007, 07:28 AM
:salamext:

Most of them didn't know that consume liquor in the long run will cause depression.

jb17
09-25-2007, 03:29 AM
depression truly can be deadly. by being depressed one can seriously have no motivation with leads to the shutting down of the body. it's unhealthy and needs to be treated in a serious manner, it's as big of a deal as angina

snakelegs
09-25-2007, 08:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla

Most of them didn't know that consume liquor in the long run will cause depression.
true - i know from experience. once i quit drinking, my depression pretty much left.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
I_notGenerous
09-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Ahlan! everyone...

I am new here and I am from Singapore. Yes, its true depression is more harmful than angina. Depression is a threat to psychological and physiological factor that affects our well being. :exhausted

I_notGenerous
09-25-2007, 09:12 AM

Hush.. hush... who consumes liquor? Ataxic or celebral palsy...:cry:

jb17
09-25-2007, 07:55 PM
definitely. although the other diseases are very bad in themselves, depression not only attacks you physically but also mentally and emotionally. there's nothing worse then true depression because your PERSONALITY changes along with it.. i know because i pretty much have gone through it, and i'm still battling with it.

Looking4Peace
09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
I am depressed quite often and my health is often a mess with reproductive problems, menstrual problems, gastro problems, migrains yet i am in perfect health besides that never had any abnormal tests and despite the fact i eat as healthy as possible, exercise and do not smoke. =(. Im scared one day it really will catch up with me =(

jb17
09-25-2007, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Looking4Peace
I am depressed quite often and my health is often a mess with reproductive problems, menstrual problems, gastro problems, migrains yet i am in perfect health besides that never had any abnormal tests and despite the fact i eat as healthy as possible, exercise and do not smoke. =(. Im scared one day it really will catch up with me =(
thats not good. is there a reason you know of that is making you depressed? i suggest you do something about it.. that's the only way i'm geting through anything.

personally, i'm a really naturally fit and healthy person who doesn't smoke or drink or anything and i'm quite young. but being this way has brought on a lot of disorders and sickness on me. the only way i get through the days is knowing i am going to find a solution to my problem. never lose hope and figure out what it is that's bothering you.

Looking4Peace
09-26-2007, 03:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jb17
thats not good. is there a reason you know of that is making you depressed? i suggest you do something about it.. that's the only way i'm geting through anything.

personally, i'm a really naturally fit and healthy person who doesn't smoke or drink or anything and i'm quite young. but being this way has brought on a lot of disorders and sickness on me. the only way i get through the days is knowing i am going to find a solution to my problem. never lose hope and figure out what it is that's bothering you.

so much bothers me. I wouldnt know where to start but I think I need to talk to someone. and i know what yoy mean. I am young eat really healthy more raw fruits and veggies and lean meats and am fit do not smoke and havent drinked really since its conversion over a year ago . Its all stress with me. I think stress is more harmful then if i just ate mcdonalds and cake everyday. well not really but u know what i mean^o)

jb17
09-26-2007, 05:26 AM
Stress is the #1 killer, honestly. You could be a happy person who ate junk food and be healthy but if you are stressed out and don't open up you're definitely not going to get anywhere.

Do things 'bother' you or are they serious? Because I would sort them out.. things shouldn't just bother you. I honestly have one problem right now - my health, other then that I'm pretty ok. But if things do stress me out I keep it to myself which is a problem... never do that

Looking4Peace
09-26-2007, 10:51 PM
^ What happens is something big will happen and make me depressed and then from there every little thing botheres me more. So its one big storm and then every little sprinkle makes it worse.

jb17
09-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Oh I know how that feels.

If you need someone to talk to I'm here.. it's never good to keep things in, this is coming from someone who does that a lot!

Isambard
09-27-2007, 01:49 AM

You got it backwards. Depressed ppl seel solace in alcohol.

Good highs and lows of depression. I used to have some really bad cycles. Theyve settled down for the moment, thou thats after the realizing I was depressed that my best friends were invisible...lol;D

جوري
09-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Sister how long have you had these sx? have you consulted with a psychiatrist ? have you ever heard of somatization disorder?

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...-disorder.html

:w:

jb17
09-27-2007, 02:04 AM
eeesh
yeah i was depressed for a while but i know its not permanent. if it was something with no evident solution id seek help. i think thats what you should do

Looking4Peace
09-27-2007, 02:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Sister how long have you had these sx? have you consulted with a psychiatrist ? have you ever heard of somatization disorder?

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...-disorder.html

no i never heard of this but i dont think thats the full picture. stress can actually cause some things u are predisposed to come out. like for instance. ovarian cysts, endometreosis and reproductive failures and cancers run in my family. Now when I am not stressed out i am fine the cysts and fibroids shrink. When i become stressed again they come back large and cause me much pain and menstrual problems. I have a very good doctor that believes stress can make these problems worse or if i wasnt stressed maybe they would have never came out. But i do not think i have that somatization disorder because i do not have all the symptoms because my immune system is very good. I never really even get the common cold and i do not have irritable bowl.

Looking4Peace
09-27-2007, 02:30 AM
What i meant about gastro problems was lack of hunger, stomach pains when i do eat and nausea and sometimes lack of hunger to the point i lose weight. again this is do to my nerves I do not have irritable bowl aka poop disorders lol. hopefully never will. I hear its quite gross.

جوري
09-27-2007, 05:01 AM
no i never heard of this but i dont think thats the full picture. stress can actually cause some things u are predisposed to come out. like for instance. ovarian cysts, endometreosis and reproductive failures and cancers run in my family. Now when I am not stressed out i am fine the cysts and fibroids shrink. When i become stressed again they come back large and cause me much pain and menstrual problems. I have a very good doctor that believes stress can make these problems worse or if i wasnt stressed maybe they would have never came out. But i do not think i have that somatization disorder because i do not have all the symptoms because my immune system is very good. I never really even get the common cold and i do not have irritable bowl.
I wasn't suggesting that is what you have-- but you do describe in your previous post what would appear to many similar to those experienced in somatization disorder-- they often report multiple medical problems, Irregular periods; Neurological symptoms (the migrains you mention) as well as gastrointestinal, and sexual problems-- also mentioned the labs are often negative or of normal finding..a person doesn't have to present with every symptom listed to be diagnosed with somatization disorder, but they have to be three seperate areas i.e --GI, Neurological as well as reproductive--- it is indeed a diagnosis of exclusion, as in all else has been ruled as normal-- if your doctor believes it is due stress and you are working together to manage the problem then I wish you a speedy recovery insha'Allah

jb17
09-27-2007, 05:33 AM
What i meant about gastro problems was lack of hunger, stomach pains when i do eat and nausea and sometimes lack of hunger to the point i lose weight. again this is do to my nerves I do not have irritable bowl aka poop disorders lol. hopefully never will. I hear its quite gross.
id get blood work done. i had the same symptoms in the summer (over stress) and turns out my iron was low and i ended up having some gastroesophageal reflux (acid reflux).. along with a couple other things. i was miserable... i thought i was gonna die. i would go days without eating and id just throw everything up. dont let yourself get to that point

Anwarica
09-27-2007, 03:00 PM
:sl:
Jazakum Allah khairan :)
Indeed, and it's about Major depressive disorder which differs from "mood" ..
The condition is worse than cancer .. when a patient suffers from cancer, he finds his family, friends and everyone supporting him till he recovers and voila he's back! .. while the patient who suffers from depression doesn't find anyone to help him at the beginning, he tends to be isolated - not to mention the somatic deterioration - and when he commits suicide, he's not coming back!

I_notGenerous
09-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Hii, Looking4Peace! yeah!

There are few types of depression.

1) Endogenous depression is an unexplained and unprovoked depression of

moderate to severe degree.

2) Situational (exogenous) or/Reactive depression
It is a normal reaction to a painful life event, such as the death of a
loved one, the loss of a job or a divorce.

3) Involutional depression occurs as a result changing period of life e.g.
menopause or andrepause.

4) Agitated depression a person may become extremely agitated in facing

5) Puerperal depression occurs after the birth of a child

6) Manic depression characterized by cycling mood changes: severe highs
(mania) and lows (depression)

In order to confirm that a person have depression he or she to have at least 5 of the symptoms for most of the day nearly every day for more than 2 weeks.

Signs and symptoms
sad facial expression, slumped posture, dragging gait, lack of concern on personal grooming, disturbed sleep patterns, feelings of hopelessness, low self esteem, fatigue, apathy, loss of weight, loss of sexual libido, poor concentration.

Sometimes side effects of certain medications e.g high blood pressure can cause depression. I think most of us have endogenous depression, something inside us that we ourselves do not know...sometimes low spirit...its quite common I think...its just my opinion...any suggestions?imsad

I_notGenerous
09-28-2007, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anwarica
:sl:
Jazakum Allah khairan :)
Indeed, and it's about Major depressive disorder which differs from "mood" ..
The condition is worse than cancer .. when a patient suffers from cancer, he finds his family, friends and everyone supporting him till he recovers and voila he's back! .. while the patient who suffers from depression doesn't find anyone to help him at the beginning, he tends to be isolated - not to mention the somatic deterioration - and when he commits suicide, he's not coming back!
Is that a fact or an opinion?:)

ahsan28
01-09-2008, 10:14 AM
A Link Between Anxiety and Heart Attacks

Time Magazine
Tuesday, Jan. 08, 2008

It's no secret that men with angry, explosive personalities are at a higher risk of a heart attack. But they're not alone: Nervous, withdrawn and chronically worried people are courting coronary problems, too, according to a new long-term study in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

What's not so clear is why that might be. The relationship between stress, psychological problems and coronary disease or other physical woes is still not well understood. But it is the subject of intense scientific scrutiny. Many other researchers are trying to understand the interaction between mood disturbances like anxiety or depression and other health problems.

Complete Article here

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...701335,00.html

smithg
03-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Depression is one of those disorders which most people face in there life as some stage for one reason or the other. If it's children the pressure of studies gets over their head and if it's adults the pressure of work attracts depression. Xanax is one of those medicines which help in relieving anxiety and depression, but this medicine should only be used for small duration as this is habit forming drug and sometimes the withdrawal symptoms can be more depressing. The withdrawal from this medicine is a slow and gradual process rather than abrupt. Xanax works by slowing down the nervous system and hence relieves anxiety. The best way to get over anxiety and depression is to take a break from your regular schedule, go out, and take good sleep.
Buy Xanax

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.