/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Barriers in the Mosque

zarhad
09-07-2007, 05:12 AM
I wanted to know peoples views on woman and the masjid.

I watched a film called "Me & the Mosque." Zarqa Nawaz (Writer & Director)
and it stated to make me think.

I thought about how unwelcome most woman are at a mosque, how akward I feel there, how the ones that welcome woman make them pray behind barriers and in the time of our Prophet (PBUH) there were no barriers in the mosque.

Woman at that time, simply prayed behind the men as to not distract them, but why go as far as shutting us behind walls?

Are we not part of the community?
Why do we change things without any justification?

tell me how you feel.

Men:
would you allow your wife, sister, mother, or daughter attend the masjid?

do you agree with the barriers? if so why?

Woman:

how do you feel about the barriers?

do you feel like part of the community?

do you feel this is a injustice?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
zarhad
09-07-2007, 05:14 AM
I know this is an issue that really bothers me, we are a community, brothers and sisters, not just brothers, so why are we put behind a wall?
are men animals that they can not stop themselves from turning around during prayer to look at woman?

I want to know your views on this topic!

ahsan28
09-07-2007, 05:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zarhad

Men:
would you allow your wife, sister, mother, or daughter attend the masjid?
No never, in my case. Why can't they organise the prayer at home? If at all they have to visit, the barriers must be there in the form of separation between men and women. No free mixing. Remember, there are teenagers, who might cause discipline problems, if such arrangements are not taken.

Abdul-Raouf
09-07-2007, 05:28 AM
I know this is an issue that really bothers me, we are a community, brothers and sisters, not just brothers, so why are we put behind a wall?
are men animals that they can not stop themselves from turning around during prayer to look at woman?

I want to know your views on this topic!

some ^^^ may enter (prayer might not be their priority) just to see others.....

Regardin the barriers...my personal view >> i feel ...its good to have it.. a screen or somethin.. avoids distractions.....rememb we are in the worst days of this world.. PERIOD.

im not gonna argue here for my ^^ view...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zarhad
09-07-2007, 05:28 AM
I dont agree people dont go to mosque to cause trouble they go for prayer and to be part of the islamic community...dont get me wrong my husband feels the same as you but if the prophet(pbuh) never told the woman to pray at home (as far as i know) and masjids were open to everyone with no barriers why would you go agenst it??

zarhad
09-07-2007, 05:29 AM
but forcing people to be good muslims i.e with a barrier or a burka for that matter (so they cant see the woman) does not make someone a good muslim...plus if someone has bad intentions it will go beyond barriers

ahsan28
09-07-2007, 05:29 AM
![/B]
Sister you yourself answered, which I didn't want to write. Separation amongst men and women is not aimed at creating discrimination, its there to ensure that the visitors concentrate for which they are visiting the mosques.

zarhad
09-07-2007, 05:30 AM
fine dont argue, maybe the worst days, but justify the arguement, tell me where in the quran or in any sunnah did it justify these things

Abdul-Raouf
09-07-2007, 05:32 AM
I dont agree people dont go to mosque to cause trouble they go for prayer and to be part of the islamic community...dont get me wrong my husband feels the same as you but if the prophet(pbuh) never told the woman to pray at home (as far as i know) and masjids were open to everyone with no barriers why would you go agenst it??

^^^^ sister muslims durin our Prophets time had the best Eemaan..self controlled .. disciplined..

And now ....thats not the case....

zarhad
09-07-2007, 05:32 AM
i mean yes it is nice to know no one is looking when i pray if im at a masjid i just thought it would be a good topic...but you know i dont totally agree or disagree with them

to me its like assuming that these things will make people better muslims which they wont

zarhad
09-07-2007, 05:34 AM
yes i agree...but should we use that as an excuse should we not try to use self control and teach it to others, should we not strive to be better

like i said i personally feel if someone has bad intentions a barrier will not stop them

zarhad
09-07-2007, 05:35 AM
I hope my comments arent upseting please keep in mind im creating a friendly debate nothing more

ahsan28
09-07-2007, 05:36 AM
my husband feels the same as you ?
Its bcz he is the one working outside and fully cognizant of the existing social trends. No free mixing of the genders, even at the mosques, if we want to see the mosques being used for the purpose, these were constructed.

Abdul-Raouf
09-07-2007, 05:40 AM
yes i agree...but should we use that as an excuse
Yes we can use that as an excuse....(my view)

Abdul-Raouf
09-07-2007, 05:48 AM
I hope my comments arent upseting please keep in mind im creating a friendly debate nothing more

Ur views are correct... we cant implement it everywhere in this current world....

The EYES of a human are the arrows of shytaan... in this current world shytaan is at his best in sharpenin the arrow... If we wanna blunt the arrow ... veil. screen/wall is an added advantage...

I dont think sisters will be offended ... if they are made to pray in a veiled/screened environment....its not DISCRIMINATION.. understand it plz..

zarhad
09-07-2007, 05:54 AM
I do but its similar to views when it comes to praying

if you force someone to pray its not valid same as if you force someone not to look, doesnt make them a good or better person..dont you think?

zarhad
09-07-2007, 05:58 AM
im not saying get rid of them but im saying they are un justified in islam as are burkhas

Abdul-Raouf
09-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Some learn without gettin a beat from the teacher

Some learn after gettin a beat from the teacher

Some dont learn even after repeated beatings from the teacher
Some say we shouldn beat... others say beat is esential...

we cant continue thinkin about the issue........... or can ?

ahsan28
09-07-2007, 07:29 AM
they are un justified in islam as are burkhas
Burka is a cultural issue, if a lady doesn't like, she may wear jilbab or a long shawl, covering her face n fashionable dress. Not an issue, the important is to take preventive measures, as to how she should avoid gazing and staring by other people.

zarhad
09-07-2007, 09:08 AM
its just a debate for starters and second because like i had mentioned before i never said its wrong but i found it to be islamicly unjustified

zarhad
09-07-2007, 09:15 AM
it seems as if alot of men are feeling threatened by this thread...please dont be on garde its just a discussion.

you know even with the barriers the men dont allow woman to partisipate in community meetings, i believe even if you seperate the men and woman they should still have a say in there community because can be extremly valuable as we use both our intelliect and our emotion when thinking or ideas and planning etc.

zarhad
09-07-2007, 09:18 AM
i have to keep reminding people this is a debate as you can debate almost anything in life so please dont take it personally

zarhad
09-07-2007, 10:02 AM
im not saying any of the men are wrong either...actually its sad to think that we actually need barriers that people have changed and the world is going downhill

Malaikah
09-13-2007, 04:36 AM
:sl:

The barrier rocks! It is easier to be comfortable in the mosque and when praying knowing that no men can see you.

There is no need to think of it as a way of 'excluding' women. It isn't like that all.

True the prophets mosque had no barrier, but as mentioned early, todays Muslims are nothing compared to the first generation.

Also, sister, when you say that the burkha is un-Islamic, that is not entirely true, the style of the burka is cultural, but the body parts that it covers is totally Islamic. Especially if you mean covering the face, many, many scholars hold the opinion that a woman must cover her face.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.