/* */

PDA

View Full Version : job interview

AnonymousPoster
09-07-2007, 11:53 AM
:sl:

What do I do if I am applying for a job and the person interviewing me is a man, and I have to be alone with him?:skeleton:

I'm confused. :-\

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
rozeena
09-07-2007, 12:56 PM
ive had interviews 4 jobs where da interviewer ws male bt 2 b honest ive neva thought of it lyk dt.bt gud question.

tryinghard
09-07-2007, 01:38 PM
:sl: I may be wrong in saying this, so please correct me. I don't think it should be a problem. Sure, it's more comfortable if your boss is a female, but you can't necessarily pick a job based on that. You'll have many male employers and co-workers that you will have to interact with on an almost daily basis. You cannot avoid this. You can, however, be polite but distant and keep all conversations on a formal level. I think that way you won't be breaking any rules.

However, if you are really uncomfortable, you can perhaps request a female interviewer, but if they don't offer one, I would recommend continuing with this one especially if it is a good job opportunity. If however, you find a suitable working environment that is primarily female, that would be a good opportunity to consider. Also, you might want to ask the employer more about the job and if it entails a lot of interacting with males.

rozeena
09-07-2007, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tryinghard
:sl: I may be wrong in saying this, so please correct me. I don't think it should be a problem. Sure, it's more comfortable if your boss is a female, but you can't necessarily pick a job based on that. You'll have many male employers and co-workers that you will have to interact with on an almost daily basis. You cannot avoid this. You can, however, be polite but distant and keep all conversations on a formal level. I think that way you won't be breaking any rules.

However, if you are really uncomfortable, you can perhaps request a female interviewer, but if they don't offer one, I would recommend continuing with this one especially if it is a good job opportunity. If however, you find a suitable working environment that is primarily female, that would be a good opportunity to consider. Also, you might want to ask the employer more about the job and if it entails a lot of interacting with males.

i agree.:sunny:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
09-07-2007, 01:41 PM
:salamext:

Come on man, ur living in the UK. You'll have to take the interview then. That's it. As us people live in Kaafir rulings, we are gonna have to adjust. You know ur limits, and if you stay with them, Allaah swt knows ur position.

Dawud_uk
09-07-2007, 03:02 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

dont shake his hand, dont be alone with him, etc etc (just politely refuse and explain why). just because it is work doesnt stop the normal ettiquettes of male / female relations apply.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

Md Mashud
09-07-2007, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
assalaamu alaykum,

dont shake his hand, dont be alone with him, etc etc (just politely refuse and explain why). just because it is work doesnt stop the normal ettiquettes of male / female relations apply.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
You may aswell not attend the interview :), you'll get same result lol.

Truth is, if he thinks you can't shake his hand, or even be in a room with him without being uncomfortable - they won't see you fit for their company, why would he hire you over the others especially as competition is pretty rough as it is, he just got a reason to filter you out, period...

Im not disagreeing or agreeing whether its right or wrong (your statements) - but it is somthing to consider that, you may be losing on alot of job offers.

------
09-07-2007, 03:17 PM

Shaking hand - just say my religion doesn't permit it. But u have to give the interview tho.... :-\

seeker_of_ilm
09-07-2007, 03:34 PM

As long as you're tactful, the handshake problem can be overcome easily, without any big deal being made.

DO: "Sorry, my religion prohibits..."
DON'T: "You HARAAM KAAFIR! HOW DARE YOU?!"

Great little interview tip there.

:w:

rozeena
09-07-2007, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

As long as you're tactful, the handshake problem can be overcome easily, without any big deal being made.

Great little interview tip there.

lol!

------
09-07-2007, 03:55 PM

:D Might try the don't bit :D

AnonymousPoster
09-08-2007, 03:21 AM

But how can I avoid being alone? Is it enough to just ask for the door to be kept open?

IbnAbdulHakim
09-08-2007, 11:57 AM
just ask if a female can be present, nothng is more important then your islam.

------
09-08-2007, 01:37 PM

But how can I avoid being alone? Is it enough to just ask for the door to be kept open?
He's not gonna try anything with u, chill :rollseyes His job's more important :rollseyes

IbnAbdulHakim
09-08-2007, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

He's not gonna try anything with u, chill :rollseyes His job's more important :rollseyes
wat the ...

the sisters clearly worried about upholding her islamic values, she doesnt want to negotiate the islamic teachings of not ever being alone with another man due to the shaytaans influence, it doesnt matter if he doesnt try anything with her, its more important that she does whats best to please Allah !

------
09-08-2007, 01:46 PM

Quit jumping down my throat? She's living in a kaafir country n Allaah swt knows her position, so she has to make some adjustments. Jeez.

InToTheRain
09-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Mash'Allah :) I find it admirable that your Imaan makes you fear even being alone with a non-mahram in a room for even an interview.

Re.TiReD
09-08-2007, 01:48 PM

In the workplace and in day to day life, the first thing that people will notice about you is the fact that you are Muslim, so make sure a good impression of Islam stays with them...let them know in the most polite manner that Islam does not allow its women to be alone in the company of strange men.

If the company concerned values its employees, they would not say no to you requesting a female to be present during the interveiw. Most often than not, 2-3 people are involved in the interviewing process anyway. All the best sister. Safeguard your Imaan. Wassalam

IbnAbdulHakim
09-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Quit jumping down my throat? She's living in a kaafir country n Allaah swt knows her position, so she has to make some adjustments. Jeez.
look i might understand that in cases of nawwafil or sunnah, or even at extremely crucial times, waajib but not in the case of fard...

i guess this is something scholars must discuss.

i wasnt jumpin down any throats .

------
09-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Sorry.

Ourra-Tul-'Ain
09-08-2007, 02:20 PM
sallam

you know sister when i first started working at my work place I found it hard. I work in a call centre which is not the best place for a muslimah.

I was not used to working around men at all, my manager would put his hand in my face for me to shake so quickly that I did not have time to even think!:exhausted ,,,,after shaking his hand for like a split second I would clock on to what’s happening :ooh: .....lol sounds dumb huh. but by Allah I would get this feeling of regret soaring through my body, then I would get the hadeeth regarding shaking a man's hand playing repetitively through my head:-[

anyways I would have to continually answer questions on why I cover from head to toe. (trust me you get tired of answering that same question especially when its coming from lustful men:Evil: who‘s mind is elsewhere) the only reason why I would answer back was of fear of making the deen look bad:cry: )

Alhamdullilah I now know how to completely cut my self from men at work. you have to act in a certain manor....sometimes you have to forget about being polite, if you know what I mean...just lower your gaze and get on with work, try to sit away from men, farrrrrr wayyyyyyyyyyy

sallam sister may Allah make everything easy for you ameen.:D

Dawud_uk
09-10-2007, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud
You may aswell not attend the interview :), you'll get same result lol.

Truth is, if he thinks you can't shake his hand, or even be in a room with him without being uncomfortable - they won't see you fit for their company, why would he hire you over the others especially as competition is pretty rough as it is, he just got a reason to filter you out, period...

Im not disagreeing or agreeing whether its right or wrong (your statements) - but it is somthing to consider that, you may be losing on alot of job offers.
obeying our lord should be more important than pleasing mankind. consider that.

Dawud_uk
09-10-2007, 03:49 PM

may Allah guide you to make some adjustments yourself so you put the deen of Allah before all else, ameen.

Rafeeq
09-16-2007, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender

Dear sis

u r unnecessarily getting upset. Just keep urself calm. InshaAllah nothing will happen wrong. If u feel some thing abnormal, ask him excuse u and leave the interview.

May Allah (SWT) help u:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.