/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Let's All Celebrate Our Similarities

Sarada
09-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Salaam Sisters and Brothers,

I would like to introduce a thread the I hope will help to achieve good will, harmony and a sense of sister/brotherhood amongst all of us who have differing beliefs. Although this poster does not specifically include Atheism, Theosophy, or Agnosticism. To me, these are all valid belief systems.

Here is a poster which has a scriptural reference similar to Christianity's Golden Rule from each of many different belief systems.

I am very interested in seeing everyones RESPECTFUL comments.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul Fattah
09-09-2007, 04:59 AM
Nice poster :)
I didn't realize that this rule was present in that many religions, I knew from a few, but not that many. On question though, what do you mean by:
To me, these are all valid belief systems.
Do you mean that in a technical way, like they fit the criteria of the definition. Or more in a religious way, like you think all of them could be true, or all of them are simultaneously true?

glo
09-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Nice one, Sarada!

Regardless of how we view each of those faiths, to me the resulting question is this:

If all these faiths teach the Golden Rule as an important part of their worldview/religion/philosophy, and the majority of people across the globe are attached to any one of the these faiths, then how, but how, can there be so much hatred, fighting and war in this world??!!!! :cry:

Something, somewhere is clearly not going right!

Peace

Trumble
09-09-2007, 11:21 AM
The 'golden rule' is common to all the major religions because it is the essential foundation of all moral codes (including atheistic and agnostic ones). Human society can only function with that as its basis, although sadly throughout history it's application has usually been qualified in some way or another, e.g some groups are included or seen as 'non applicable' be it slaves, other racial groups, followers of other religions etc.

There can be no end to hatred, fighting and war until 'others' means 'everybody', not just those people in my family, those people in my tribe, those in my country, those who share my religion, those who share my political ideology etc, etc.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sarada
09-09-2007, 12:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Nice poster :)
I didn't realize that this rule was present in that many religions, I knew from a few, but not that many. On question though, what do you mean by:
Do you mean that in a technical way, like they fit the criteria of the definition. Or more in a religious way, like you think all of them could be true, or all of them are simultaneously true?
Yes, in a technical way, they all meet the criteria.

As to whether all of them could be true, or are simultaneously true, only God knows the whole Truth.

I see Truth as a diamond. We has human beings can see a diamond, recognise it as such, but no one can see all of its facets simultaneously.

I personally believe that all faiths, when practiced with love for all people, sincerity and devotion, will eventually lead to God. It is when we have mistrust, animosity, anger, and fear, that our relationship with God (however we see the Supreme) becomes difficult.

Ebtisweetsam
09-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Interesting.... apart form Islam (of cousre), Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism and Bhuddism, i have never heard of the rest.... is not confucious part of Bhuddism?

And what are all those others.... Gods, men, prophets?

Sarada
09-09-2007, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ebtisweetsam
Interesting.... apart form Islam (of cousre), Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism and Bhuddism, i have never heard of the rest.... is not confucious part of Bhuddism?

And what are all those others.... Gods, men, prophets?
All of those others are different belief systems, different faiths, different way of worshipping God.

Confucianism and Buddhism are different faiths. One originated in Nepal, the other in China.

Sarada
09-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Salaam Sisters and Brothers

"Not one of your truly believes until you wish for others what you wish for yourself"

I believe that Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) said this. What do you think this means?

For me this means that you should wish everyone well, there is no qualification of who those "others" might be.

These others for me include each and every one on this planet. Not just my country men, or those who believe as I do (even if I have explained the advantages of my faith to them); but EVERYONE, even criminals, and those people who have actively hurt me.

The latter, has sometimes been difficult for me, but I'm getting much better.
This does not mean that I associate with everyone, but I wish no one harm, and I have no desire to see anyone suffer.

Sarada
09-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I see Truth as a diamond. We has human beings can see a diamond, recognise it as such, but no one can see all of its facets simultaneously.

Hence, people focus on the facets that they can see, and build their faith on that. There are many paths to God. The path you choose depends on your starting point. There are many whose path leads to a fork in the road, and they don't know which way to turn..

These people become the seekers, who are lost for a time, but they, too, eventually find the right path for them.

Al_Imaan
09-09-2007, 04:00 PM
cool poster....i never thought the golden rule was present in so many other religions....thanx for sharing...

Pygoscelis
09-09-2007, 06:09 PM
"The Golden Rule" is just a dressed up way to say "Empathy". It isn't exclusive to those religions. It isn't based on religion at all. It isn't even exclusive to humans.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.