/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to remain focused during Salaat

Uthman
09-08-2005, 09:28 PM
:sl:

InshaAllah, here people can post pointers on how to remain focused whilst performing your salaat. Here are mine:

• Relax. Don't act as if you have to catch a train i.e. don't rush it.

• Remember that you are performing your prayer to Allah alone and for no-one and nothing else. Therefore, shut everything and everyone else out and concentrate just on the connection between Allah and yourself.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
09-08-2005, 09:38 PM
great thread! inshaa'Allah I'll be contributing to this thread when I get more time.

*!~Faith~!*
09-08-2005, 09:45 PM

-Imagine as if it was your last salah on this earth

Shadow
09-08-2005, 09:55 PM
try to get the translations memorized for the surahs u read
and when u understand wht ur saying in the prayer, it gets more understandable ofcourse....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salema
09-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Jazakumullahul-khair..!

*!~Faith~!*
09-08-2005, 10:32 PM

Here are some tips from Muhammad Al-Shareef's talk called "Return And Pray"

1) Prepare for salah
2) Repeat after the muadhin
3) Say the dua after adhan as it is never rejected
4) Make proper wudu
5) Aim for the entire reward
6) Contemplate on the ayah's
7) Pray in congregation
8) Don't miss you nafil prayers so that it ends up being a habit to pray it.
9) Don't speed up your salah
10) Seek refuge from Shaytan
11) Pray as if it is your last prayer.

Khayal
09-08-2005, 10:55 PM
:w: & :sl:

Concentration and Devotion in Salaat

Generally the aspect lacking most in our Salaat is concentration and devotion whereas the Quraan has promised success for that person who performs his Salaat with proper concentration and devotion. The remedy for this dreadful condition has been prescribed in a Hadith. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) is reported to have said: “Perform your Salaat as if it is a ‘farewell’ Salaat.” (i.e. as if this is the last Salaat of your life) (Mishkaat Pg.445)

Every person should perform his Salaat with this in mind that he might not live to perform another Salaat. He should imagine himself in the presence of Allah the Almighty who even knows the thoughts that go through his mind. He should say to himself that if I do not pay attention to Allah, then how can I expect Him to pay attention to me. I am dependant on him while He is independent of me. Hopefully this will create the desired concentration and devotion.

Hadhrat Moulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi (R.A) writes: “ ‘Khushoo’ (concentration) refers to tranquility. Among the requirements of Salaat is that all the limbs should be in a tranquil state. The Musalli must refrain from any unnecessary movement. He should keep his gaze at the required place and not look around or turn his head in any direction whatsoever. Neither must he straighten his hair or clothes nor should he scratch his body. Unnecessary coughing and clearing of the throat should also be avoided.

Concentration means that one should refrain from intentionally thinking of anything that is not related to the Salaat. If some stray thoughts do enter the mind unintentionally, it would not be regarded as being contrary to concentration. Concentration is within a person’s control and hence it is possible to develop and strengthen it.

An easy way to develop concentration is to ponder over every word recited. When special attention is given to every word then automatically other thoughts will vanish. This concentration should be maintained throughout the Salaat. If the above is observed, Insha Allah stray thoughts will not hinder one. However if some stray thoughts still come to mind, then fretting over them (by thinking that these dangerous thoughts have come again) in Salaat is also against concentration. Instead one should again turn one’s attention to what is being recited. Insha Allah, the stray thoughts will disappear and concentration will once again be achieved. An extract from Islaah-e-Qalb by Hadhrat Thanwi (R.A)

If one does not achieve the desired concentration and devotion, one should not be disillusioned and totally discard Salaat. Instead continue to endeavour to obtain the cherished goal. If the Salaat is totally forsaken due to a lack of concentration, the sin of foregoing the Fardh will also be incurred. Salaat has to be performed in all circumstances, with concentration or without it.

Shaytaan will try to mislead a person in every possible way. At times he prompts a person to think that the condition of his Salaat is so poor that it will make no difference if he does not perform it at all. However, one should not fall prey to these thoughts. The Salaat must be performed at all times even if the desired concentration and devotion is not achieved.

Nevertheless, if mistakes do happen or stray thoughts do occur, one should repent sincerely and make a firm intention to improve one’s Salaat. Insha Allah, Allah Ta'ala will ease the task of performing Salaat with concentration and devotion.

by Shaykhul Hadith Mawlana Fadhlur Rahmaan Azmi

Safa
09-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Assalam o Alaikum,

Don't rush during Salah, take your time, don't think about things you have to do, or things that you forgot to do because shiatan reminds us of things that you did not remember or think of before you started praying. A person may have forgotten about something altogether, but the shiatan will remind you of it when you start praying, in order to distract you...so make sure your heart is really in your prayer.

Wa'salam

azim
09-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Salamu alaykum. Some great posts so far.

One technique I find helps is when you're in a rush to pray Salah, then slow it down as much as possible. By slowing it down, you're ignoring your worldy desires and so you learn to block them out, which helps concentration when you're praying Salah with ample time.

TEH
09-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Do your Wudhu properly before hand...

:)

Batoota
09-09-2005, 11:20 AM

Ma Sha Allah!! Great thread :thumbs_up

I can't really think of anything to add to the advice that has been given, except for this: dinner has just been served and the delicious aroma is diffusing around the house, and the iqama has just been given for prayer- dont' pray first- rather eat!

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not pray when there is food prepared.” (Reported by Muslim, no. 560).

He should not even hasten to finish eating, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If the dinner is served and the time for prayer comes, eat dinner before praying Salaat al-Maghrib, and do not rush to finish your meal.” According to another report: “If dinner has been put out and the iqaamah has been given for prayer, eat dinner first and do not rush to finish it.” (Agreed upon. Al-Bukhaari, Kitaab al-Aadhan, Baab idhaa hadara al-ta’aamu wa uqeemat al-salaah; Muslim, no. 557-559).

http://muslimconverts.com/Munajjid-b...uslim-home.htm

That way you won't waste the whole prayer thinking/salviating over the food!

Jazak Allah everybody,

Far7an
09-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Barakallahu feekum,
I posted something a while ago which is relavant...

33 Ways of developing Khushoo’ in Salaah

Uthman
09-10-2005, 10:12 AM

JazakAllahu Khayran everyone for your wonderful contributions. :)

Khayal
05-20-2007, 11:01 PM

bump...

Uthman
05-21-2007, 08:51 AM

Haha...'bump'!

This is something that I find really difficult to do so the tips you guys have posted are really useful.

jameelash
05-22-2007, 01:49 PM
AssalmuAlaikum,interesting forum.masha Allah.

pray at the correct time.expect the time eagerly.it isaid that Angels pray for those who wait for the prayer.do,nt lookt at the clock and satisfy r self "oh there is still
timeleft for asr i,ll finish my work.remember Allah doesn need you.you need Him.approach him at the proper time.remember if u r late topray giving prior to other work.Allah also may also give priority to other people.don,t be A LOOSER.IMAJINE UR SELF MEETING A v.i.p.no doubt one will reach before time.isn,t . try meet Allah the almighty more accurately.give more important to the creator than the creation.

see that wat u utter in prayer is slowand concentrated.if possible grasp the meaning.it isAllah,s gift giving a chance to talk to him inprayer.imajine ur self
talking to a v.i .p.how much preparation wewill take.we,ll pu our best dress preparethe speech before hand.wat if u meet a v.i.p with ur mind somewerewandering . is there any wonder if he ignore u or bored with u and send u away with out listenting to u.wat will be our position if we apply the same attitude with Almighty.it is said in Hadees,that if a prayer is prayed caressly his prayer curses against him to Allah,and agood prayer make dua for the person who prayed well
if a person is hungry he should eat altleast something so that he may not finish the prayer in hurry.
put ur best dress perfume wen u prepare to meet Allah.dont wear a dress wen u pray in which u will never think of stepping out.
if one wants to relieve himselves instead of holding back he must finish it off.
after prayers make a point not to getup before finishing dikr.
after every prayer hisab ur self how ur prayer.which weighed more dunya or Akra.and try to correct ur self in the next prayer.do it to today before Allah hisab u on the day of judgement.
learn the sawab of farz prayers,and pass it to others.the more you pass the more u will intake.

IceQueen~
05-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Great thread mashaAllah!!!

If ur praying by yourself, then pray where no one else is watching, alone and somewhere quiet..

Try to make it a place that you like/feel comfortable in

Be in a state which you are comfortable in- comfy clothes/state (try not to pray when ur starving or need the toilet or extremely tired- these will only make u rush)

Practise at tahajjud time when your mind is crystal clear and the whole world is peaceful and quiet...

InshaAllah TawaffaqanAllah ammin

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.