/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Need Wedding Ideas!!!

Science101
09-09-2007, 04:22 AM
My oldest daughter is getting married! And my future son in law is a great guy, I want to make it a great wedding.

She's a lot like me. From what I have seen, so is he. Curious about religion and the world but not committed to any one. So my daughter thought it would be a great idea to make it an around the world ceremony with elements from as many religions as possible. Get ideas from people from other cultures and see what we can do with them. If it works great, other people will try it too.

What I'm wondering is what are the best parts of weddings you have been to. For example, all the ones I attended, at the church ceremony there is the obligatory march down the aisle and the "you may now kiss the bride" part, the rest is kinda boring. Would like to add something that is interesting that's not normally done in the US. At the reception the bride throws her bouquet of flowers to the girls still single, to bring good luck to the one who catches it so they will be the next married. That is fun, people enjoy it. So I'm also wondering what happens at a Muslim, Hindu, Pagan, etc. wedding that people find a lot of fun to do.

I would appreciate all the help I can get. My daughter will read all replies and do what she can to include your ideas in her wedding.

Thanks!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
09-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Peace

Congratulations to your daughter and to you! i hope the big day goes great for you all aswell as the rest of her married life.

i would say a islamic wedding is simple, many muslims celebrate their weddings more culturally than anything. so hopefully people can help though im not too good with these kind of things.

i do know that weddings are celebrated for like atleast 2 days in advance by many muslims.
the day after the wedding there is a feast called the 'walima' which is actually islamic.

so anyway ill tell you some stuff, i dont know if it will work for the type of wedding you daughters looking for but it might give some ideas
- the bride will wear henna on her hands in a celebration two days before the wedding day.
- when the groom comes for his wife her sisters/cousins hide his shoes so he has to pay them to get it back.
- when he returns to his side with his new wife his sisters/cousins lock the door so they cant enter till he pays up.
the above two are just traditional things from india still sometimes practised so the sisters/cousins (the young unmarried ones) can make some money lol
- some weddings in hope to embarass the bride and groom have a short presentation of their pictures as kids.
- hoking horns and flashing lights in the night as one is driving (wedding hall or something) the grooms young friends may do that to let everyone know theres a wedding in town
- one im sure your daughter wont like :p but anyway, as the groom is to leave with his bride on honeymoon his friends may want to 'take him out' for a little while and they take him somewhere he cant get back on time. like in the arab world theyll take him out to the desert and keep him there sometimes for a couple of days.
- a tradition of welsh weddings that seems quite funny- kidnapping the bride
KIDNAPPING THE BRIDE
An age-old tradition is the Kidnapping of the Bride. This tradition is very old and comes from the time when a man would steal his bride away, holding her captive with his left arm while fighting off her family with his right. It’s hard to believe, but this violent history brought us today’s traditional Christian ceremony placement of the bride and groom!

As years passed and marriage became more civilized, the custom of abducting the bride became more refined. In order to fend off the attacking would-be groom, the bride would disguise herself -- sometimes as an old lady knitting in the corner, others as a young mother nursing a baby boy (the boy being a symbol of good luck). The groom would try to gain entry to the house, only to have his mental strength tested by the bride’s father, who would quiz him with riddles.

Assisted by his groomsmen, the man would finally gain entrance to the house, only to find that the bride had been carried away by her own family! The groom and his party would follow in hot pursuit on the way to the church, where the groom would retrieve the bride. Finally, the ceremony would proceed as normal.

This playful “attack” is still part of a proper wedding in many rural parts of Wales.

kwolney01
09-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Congratulations!! Check out this website its really nice and has some great pictures maybe you can do something from there that would be a very nice wedding to go to..have fun!!! I wish the best for you and you family

http://www.geocities.com/ohaider99/main.html

H4RUN
09-09-2007, 04:17 PM
a can of coke:playing::D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al_Imaan
09-09-2007, 04:21 PM
^^great :p...anyway, Congratulations!....sorry I don't got any good ideas...but sis amani made some nice suggestions..

Tania
09-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Here around the midnight the bride is kidnapped by friends, and the groom has to negotiate her return. Or only her shoes when the bride doesn't want to move or want to see the groom in action. After his behaviour you can realise how will deal in different situations.

unknown_JJ
09-09-2007, 08:39 PM
sometimes d brides side kidz hide d groomz shoes and he has 2 pay dem 2 get it bck hehe lool

H4RUN
09-09-2007, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by unknown_JJ
sometimes d brides side kidz hide d groomz shoes and he has 2 pay dem 2 get it bck hehe lool
LOL! lil kids into black mail these days!

Pk_#2
09-09-2007, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by unknown_JJ
sis Amani already said that one,

a new one would be: Everyone has to buy Ribena for the bride and groom, then the bride and groom must parcel them and send them to their favorite guest, hint: her name is Umma Wasat. :D

Thanks in advance :muddlehea

unknown_JJ
09-09-2007, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
sis Amani already said that one,

a new one would be: Everyone has to buy Ribena for the bride and groom, then the bride and groom must parcel them and send them to their favorite guest, hint: her name is Umma Wasat. :D

Thanks in advance :muddlehea
sis amani sed everythin lool

Science101
09-11-2007, 04:18 AM
Thank you for the ideas and pictures! They will be very helpful. We don't have a desert and my daughter would get really mad if we got him lost in a forest, but I like the one with the shoes! I was thinking it would be fun to have someone give them three times the money back in an envelope at the bride dollar dance where it's customary to give the bride some money to get a turn to dance with her. The three times the amount to symbolize good deeds coming back threefold.

I sent her a copy of the thread so we can over it together. If there are any more ideas how we might include other customs into the traditional US wedding I'll add those too. Here, we normally have a church service. Then honk horns to where a reception is held for a big meal, dancing, bride throws bouquet of flowers to single girls, groom throws garter to single males for good luck in marriage, the dance with the bride I mentioned, they cut a big cake for everyone to eat but first they have to feed each other some (there is a special song for that) and sometimes it gets messy. :ooh:

zarhad
09-11-2007, 04:24 AM
Congradz!!

i agree with alot of the people here i would personally recomend Henna like some of the other sisters did, if you get it done profecionally done its quite beautiful and it wont interfere to much with your cultures...you can also try something like indian food instead of your cultures im kinda partial to afghan food..lol...

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-11-2007, 09:12 PM
The groom can always nick something of the bride aswell and take ransom money.

I can remember parts of loads of ideas but cant remember fully what they were all about for example somebody puts out a broken chair for the groom to unknowigly sit on lol and there was tings other one to do with milk but I forget how it worked...;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.