/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Suhur..?

Intisar
09-09-2007, 06:37 PM
:sl: My brothers and sisters in Islam. I hope you're all in the best of health and imaan insha'allah. I just wanted to ask if you knew any recommendations for suhur. I mean, the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) recommended that when we start Iftaar we either drink water or eat a date (or perhaps it was both? lol). What I wanted to know is whether there was a hadeeth on what the Prophet(SAW) used to eat for Suhur. Jazakallah kheyr for your answers in advance..! :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
09-09-2007, 09:19 PM
What is Suhur?

Peace and sorry :muddlehea

Intisar
09-09-2007, 09:38 PM
:sl: It's your pre-dawn breakfast before you start your fast..! It's not fardh though.

north_malaysian
09-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Usually I'll have bread with fresh tomatoes only.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jannah1
09-10-2007, 05:20 AM
:sl:

Taking of Sehri is Sunnah. If one is not hungry and has no desire to eat, then two or three dates or some other light food may be taken or some water at least should be drunk.

If anyone woke up and did not eat anything as Sehri but only chewed a beta leaf, then he will get the credit of Sehri.
As far as possible the taking of Sehri should be delayed but not so much that the dawn may appear and put the fast in doubt.
If Sehri is taken early but continued to take tea etc. for long and gargled near dawn, then the credit of delayed Sehri is gained.
If anyone did not wake up for Sehri and all remained asleep, then fast should be observed without it. It is a sin and also cowardice not to keep a last because of not eating Sehri.
It is permissible to take Sehri till Fajr time starts and not after that.
If any one woke up late for Sehri and under the impression that it was still night took Sehri but it revealed later that it was after dawn, then the fast was not accomplished and it should be kept as a missed fast but recompense is not due. But even then nothing should be eaten or drunk and one should behave like fasting ones. In the same way if fast is broken thinking that the sun had set but the sun appeared after a while, then the fast is breached and should be kept as a postponed fast but no recompense is due, and it is also not proper how to eat or drink till the sun has actually set.
If the waking up was so much delayed that it was suspected to be dawn, then to eat or drink anything now is execrable and it would be a sin to do so. It after eating something it was confirmed that it was dawn, then a missed fast should be kept and if it is still doubt then a postponed fast is not essential. But as a precaution a postponed fast may be kept.
It is appreciable to break the fast as soon as the sun has definitely set. To delay after that is execrable.
On cloudy days the fast should be broken with some delay till it is definite that the sun would have set. The watches or clocks should not be relied upon as they may go wrong. Even if someone has called the Azaan and the setting of sun is still doubtful, fast should not be opened till your own heart is satisfied about the time.
It is appreciable to break the fast with dates or with some other sweet thing, but if any of these is not available, then with water. Some men and women open fast with a bit of salt and think it to be creditable. It is a wrong belief.

syilla
09-10-2007, 09:27 AM
:salamext:

ukhtee...i've found the hadeeth :D

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said "The distinction between our fasting and the fasting of the people of the book is the taking of the pre -dawn meal (Suhoor)" (Muslim)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: " Have suhoor, for in suhoor there is blessing (barakah)." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath, 4/139)

. "Suhoor is blessed food, and it involves being different from the people of the Book. What a good suhoor for the believer is dates." (Reported by Abu Dawood, no. 2345; Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1/448).

He (peace be upon him) also said "The Suhoor is a meal of blessings, so do not leave it, even if one of you takes just a gulp of water, since Allah sends mercy and His angels seek forgiveness for those who take Suhoor" (Ahmad)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.