/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ?'s about Ramadan

MTAFFI
09-10-2007, 04:10 PM
I know Ramadan is coming up in 2 days and I had some questions... I must admit I have strayed a bit from learning more about Islam lately because I have run into some personal issues with family, etc., and the reason I am saying this is because I hope my ignorance can be understood. But I do want to celebrate Ramadan and I had some questions about it I was hoping maybe someone could provide a little help. First, are there any special prayers that I should say? Second, is there any food that is forbidden when it is dark? For example, when I used to fast during lent, we could only eat fish on Fridays and chicken or any other meat was not to be eaten. Third, are there any other special practices that I should be aware of on certain days or even throughout the whole month? Fourth, Is drinking liquids during the light time OK? If so are there certain liquids that we shouldnt drink. (I usually only drink water, but occasionally I will have a cup of coffee in the morning and I drink a protein shake after I work out) Fifth, since I havent actually said the Shahadah would it be sacrilegious for me to take part in this event, I was thinking that I may say it afterwards if I get what I am looking for in religion from it, but I dont want to commit unless I am 100% sure. Thanks for any help that any of you can give :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MTAFFI
09-10-2007, 08:56 PM
bump

Woodrow
09-10-2007, 09:11 PM
It is indeed a pleasure to see that you desire to join us in Ramadan. First and foremost it is your intent that will bring you rewards. Do not worry too much about getting things exactly right.

I will be back in a few minutes with some advice for people on their first Ramadan

Woodrow
09-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Here is a nice story about how some young students celebrated Ramadan a couple of years ago.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005...2305193006.txt

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
09-10-2007, 09:42 PM
I believe this will help explain a bit more:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/religio.../ramadan.shtml

- Qatada -
09-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey. :)

I can't give a detailed response yet, i'm sorry. But here's some good links related to fasting:

http://www.islamtomorrow.com/sawm.asp
http://soundvision.com/info/ramadan/howfast.asp
http://www.soundvision.com/info/ramadan/
http://islamtoday.com/showme2.cfm?ca...sub_cat_id=713

And here's a site by a brother who converted to Islam, which explains fasting in the month of Ramadan:
http://www.bahagia.btinternet.co.uk/fasting.htm

Just to answer a few of your questions simply:

1) There's nothing wrong with you fasting as a non muslim, it isn't disrespectful at all. However, once you pronounce the testimony of faith (Laa illaaha illAllaah Muhammadun Rasool Allaah - There is none worthy of worship except Allah [God] and Muhammad, peace be upon him is His Messenger) - with your heart and tongue, then you are a believer and your good deeds will start being counted and accepted by God, since one needs to believe, and testify to it in order for their deeds to be accepted in the sight of God.

2) When you fast, you can't eat food or drink, or any liquids from sunrise till sunset.

3) You are permitted to eat food, drink [with the exception of alcohol], have intimate relations with your spouse which God has made lawful from sunset till sunrise in Ramadan (i.e. as muslims we are not permitted to eat pig, blood, animals with fangs, any animal which has not been slaughtered with the name of God [Allah] recited over it etc.] you aren't limited to fish or chicken, however pig meat is forbidden, and this is through the wisdom of Allah.

4) This is the month in which Allah/God revealed the scripture to Prophet Abraham, the Torah to Moses, the Injeel [Gospel] to Jesus, and the Qur'an to His final Messenger, Muhammad (peace be upon him.) So it's a blessed month.

In Ramadan we increase in our acts of worship since Allah bestows so much Mercy within that month for the believers, this month is like a training ground for the believers so they can increase in faith, and so they can be constant in doing good throughout the rest of the year like they do in that month. This month is a month where we ask Allah for forgiveness for the wrong we may have done throughout the year, and hoping for His mercy and reward. And Allah is prepared to forgive us, support us and reward us, we just need to take that step towards Him.

Ramadan is the best starting point, and any good done in that month will be rewarded 70times over. The doors of Paradise are open in this month, and the doors of hell tightly locked up. Any believer who asks Allah for Paradise three times, Paradise will ask Allah to let him/her enter it, and whoever seeks refuge in Allah from the hellfire, hellfire will ask Allah to protect him/her from it [Tirmidhi]. We pray to Allah/God to protect us from His punishment, and place us into His Mercy and reward of Paradise, and to make us successful in this life and the hereafter. :)

About the prayers issue, the 5 daily prayers are required for a believer. However, since you are not muslim yet, you could try practising just to get a basic feel to it:

here's a relevant link:
http://www.islamicboard.com/prayer/41970-how-pray.html

And you should pray to God sincerely, for anything you really require, for guidance, and for help for all those who are in need of His help. And to be successful, in this life, and the one to come. We will do the same also.

And Allah/God knows best.

Peace.

Mpls_Muslim
09-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Salam brother, just do your best, this is the time to get back what you may have lost and ask for forgiveness ishallah

Abdulah

MTAFFI
09-11-2007, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
Hey. :)

4) This is the month in which Allah/God revealed the scripture to Prophet Abraham, the Torah to Moses, the Injeel [Gospel] to Jesus, and the Qur'an to His final Messenger, Muhammad (peace be upon him.) So it's a blessed month.
As usual thanks for the advice, I was actually going to PM you but your name didnt come up and I didnt know if you were even still on the site, anyways do you have a reference for this particular bit? My wife is getting on my case about the whole thing and I think if I could explain this bit to her she may be more apt to try an understand. Thanks for the advice and the information

MTAFFI
09-11-2007, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I believe this will help explain a bit more:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/religio.../ramadan.shtml
Thanks woodrow!

Nice ticker to, I think Ramadan for me may start a day earlier than yours though!

MTAFFI
09-11-2007, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mpls_Muslim
Salam brother, just do your best, this is the time to get back what you may have lost and ask for forgiveness ishallah

Abdulah
thank you :)

tomtomsmom
09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Perhaps this can help you bro!

http://www.islam1.org/index.php

snakelegs
09-12-2007, 12:57 AM
MTAFFI,
have a great ramadan and let us know how you were changed by it! :sunny:

Malaikah
09-12-2007, 03:10 AM
Hi. Sounds like a cool plan!

I'll just give you a general overview of what it is involved:

From roughly sunrise to sunset (i.e. in the light time) you can not:

Eat or drink anything at all, not even water.

Can not take medication (which means that if you must take medications between roughly sunrise and sunset, you can not fast). However you can take the medication at any time between sunset and sunrise (i.e. at night, in the dark).

Have sexual intercourse, or anything that will lead to it. Nothing more than a kiss on the cheek.

Those are the main things that I can think of that you can't do while fasting...

Also, you should know that we wake up before sunrise and have our breakfast before we start fasting, to help us through the day.

Ah, and about the special foods, no there is nothing you are forbidden from eating at night (expect the things which are already forbidden, such as pork, alcohol etc), however, the special food of the month are dates! The tradition is to break your fast by eating a date (or more), and if no dates, then water.

Have fun!

north_malaysian
09-12-2007, 03:19 AM
.... and dont over-eating when you break your fast (Iftar)...but as you dont perform the lengthy Taraweeh Prayers, I think you can be excused for over-eating...;D

P/S: Malaysian Muslims would start performing Taraweeh Prayers tonight.

Ramadhan Kareem!!!!

MTAFFI
09-12-2007, 12:55 PM
thanks again for all your help you guys, I think that I will have more trouble with the prayer system and my wife than I will with everything that you all have told me! Thanks again :)

tomtomsmom
09-12-2007, 01:28 PM
LOL! Maybe your wife should come here or talk to someone who is non-muslim but still a part of the life.

islamirama
09-12-2007, 01:52 PM
The hilaal of Ramadaan has not been sighted anywhere around the world, so we will complete the 30 days of Sha’baan.
Hence the 1st day of Ramaadaan will be Thursday, September 13th, 2007.

islamirama
09-12-2007, 01:53 PM
The month of Ramadan Kareem is very dear to Allah. It is the most august of all months, pure, generous and merciful. Do not let its nights go waste in slumber, its days in careless omission or loss of remembrance of Allah.

image001?view1&ampmsg1695&amppart5 -
image002?view1&ampmsg1695&amppart6 -

Du'a (prayer) in the month of Ramadan Kareem:

The month of Ramadan Kareem is an opportunity given by the gracious Creator for His servants to come close to Him, seek forgiveness for their sins, and fulfillment of their needs. In the Holy Qur'an, amidst an important discussion on the month of Ramadan Kareem, the following ayat (verse), which apparently has no direct connection with Ramadan Kareem, is included: "And when my servants ask you about me, then surely I am near. I answer the prayer of the supplicant when he calls upon me, so respond to me, and believe in me, so that they may be led right." (2:186) Commentators agree that this is the most poignant of all the verses on the Divine-human connection. The whole verse is based on the singular first person pronoun, which is repeated seven (7) times. It is a confirmation of the close relationship between man and His creator, and an assurance that he will be listened to when he calls upon Him.

That such a verse should be included among the ayats discussing the importance of Ramadan Kareem, and some of its rules (see 2:183-187), are an indication of the important role of Du'a in the month of Ramadan Kareem. Abstaining from fulfillment of physical desires stimulates an increase in spirituality, and creates an inclination for prayers and worship. Believers feel close to Allah, and Allah reminds them that He too is close, and will answer their prayers. The nights of Ramadan Kareem are spent in prayers and supplications. Even those believers, who normally do not have much time for prayers, try to do so during this month. This is because of the emphasis on the sanctity of the month, the promise of multiplied rewards, as well as the assurance of a favorable response. Says the Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh): ". . . do supplicate with your hands raised . . . as these are the best of times, during which the Almighty looks at His servants with mercy, answers if they supplicate, responds if they call, grants if they ask, and accepts if they plead . . ." (Prophet's sermon welcoming the month of Ramadan Kareem).

The best thing a believer can pray for during this month is forgiveness for his past sins. Many of the Du'as special to the month of Ramadan Kareem plead for forgiveness of the huge burden of sins which man carries. Ramadan Kareem is a glorious chance given to him to have his sins erased, and gain a higher position in the eyes of Allah. So many people are forgiven in this month that it is only the unfortunates who are deprived. Says the Prophet in the same sermon: "Indeed, miserable is he who is deprived of Allah's forgiveness in this great month." Other things to pray for include fulfillment of needs, removal of afflictions, and success in the hereafter.

The Glorious month of Ramadan Kareem: Fasting and Worship

It was reserved for Islam to prescribe and perfect a formula for spiritual purification for every one of its followers, notwithstanding the state of society he may belong to, and which can be followed without interfering with his normal avocations a Muslim may be engaged in, it does not hinder him from obeying this divine commandment which is one of the five fundamental tenets of Islam.

The Muslim fast means a complete abstinence from eating or drinking between daybreak and sunset. The sighting of the thin sickle of the new moon of Ramadan Kareem heralds for the Muslim the beginning of a month of glory and of spiritual elevation, when, Allah's command he voluntarily and of his own free will, denies himself, between daybreak and sunset the blessings of food and drink for a whole month and surrenders himself wholly to Allah, exercising at the same time complete control over his thoughts, speech and actions.

This month (Ramadan Kareem) means for the Muslims, the triumph of the spiritual and the pure in his nature over all the gross and carnal desires which are an inevitable component of our human structure. The proper observance of the fast is beautifully explained by the Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in the following words: "One who, while fasting, does not guard his tongue from telling lies, does not refrain from doing bad deeds, is not respecting his fast and Allah does not approve of mere abstention from food."

"When you are fasting you should not speak ill of anybody, nor should you be boisterous and noisy. If anybody, speaks ill of you or tries to pick a quarrel with you, return him not, but say unto him that you are fasting."

Ramadan Kareem, however, has another special significance for the Muslims, for it was in this month that the first revelation of the Holy Qur'an was made to the Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). This month, therefore, is dear to the heart of every Muslim. During this month the Muslim applies himself more assiduously to the reading of the Holy Book, which shall remain for all time as the standing miracle of Muhammad, the unlettered Prophet. (May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). Throughout this month is heard, in every Muslim home, during the day and night, the pleasant and beautiful cadences of Qur'anic recitation.

The fact that great spiritual benefit is derived from the reading of the Holy Qur'an in this month can be seen in the following saying of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH): "A man gets the same reward by reading in this month one verse of the Holy Qur'an as others do by reading the whole of the Holy Qur'an in other months."
In this Holy month of Ramadan Kareem it should therefore be the duty of every Muslim to read and try to understand the meaning of the Holy Qur'an, and thereby gain an insight into the divine secrets enshrined therein. It brings peace and illumination to the mind, imparts purity to the soul and removes many a curtain hanging between man and God.

Only consistent reading can produce the tremendous amount of joy and pleasure one experience in reading the Holy Qur'an.

Ramadan Kareem is the month of fasting and intensive prayer, a month of sacrifice and divine worship. In this month a devout Muslim spends hours every night in prayer and meditation, realizing all the time the presence of Allah Who is all pervading. Along with the prayers, he fasts during the day for a whole month in the true sense of the word, i.e. not merely denying himself food and water, but also, as the Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) explained, exercising strict control over his tongue, his eyes, his ears, his mind, his thoughts and his deeds and canalizing every activity of his towards and for the love of God. Living such a life is an immense spiritual peak and it also realizes the joy and happiness experienced by living a life which is in tune with the Infinite. In short, these joys and these pleasures can be earned by any Muslim who devotes himself to prayer and fasting in the manner taught by the Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

The Holy Qur'an says "Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find peace" Sura 13 verse 28. Peace of mind that passes understanding can only be attained by sincere and continuous remembrance of Allah.

islamirama
09-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Click below to view QA on Ramadan

image004?view1&ampmsg1695&amppart8 -

MTAFFI
09-12-2007, 02:25 PM
SO IS TODAY THE BEGINNING OF RAMADAN OR IS TOMORROW? LOL, I HAVE ALREADY STARTED TODAY, SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE, I WILL BE SEARCHING THE NET AS WELL! THANKS!:smile:

Umm Yoosuf
09-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Hello,

Tonight the Taraaweeh prayers start, so technically we will be fasting tomorrow.

MTAFFI
09-12-2007, 02:29 PM
^^nevermind, I found it thanks to Tomtomsmom's post, it says it does indeed start tomorrow!

Pk_#2
09-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Yup tomorrow, can't wait! All the best bro! :)

:183 O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint

May we all benefit from this month. Ameen

The messenger of Allah (saws) reported in a hadith al-Qudsi that Allah (SWT) said:"All acts done by the sons of Adam are meant for him, except fasting. It is exclusively meant for Me, and I (alone) will reward him for it" (Bukhari and Muslim)
Abu Sa'id al Khudri (Allah be pleased with him) reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying:"Every servant of Allah who observes fast for a day in the way of Allah, Allah would remove, because of this day, his face farther from the Fire (of Hell) to the extent of seventy years' distance." (Sahih Muslim)

- Qatada -
09-12-2007, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
As usual thanks for the advice, I was actually going to PM you but your name didnt come up and I didnt know if you were even still on the site,

Thanks for asking, just got some things to sort out.. which is why i don't come on as much. You can PM me whenever you want though, i might login every now and then. Or you can ask anyone here, no worries. See how much replies you've got already?! :)

anyways do you have a reference for this particular bit? My wife is getting on my case about the whole thing and I think if I could explain this bit to her she may be more apt to try an understand. Thanks for the advice and the information

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, because i don't have any evidences from the Biblical sources, however - what the final Messenger of God, Muhammad (peace be upon him) has said is the truth, and there's no doubt in that since even his severest enemies testified to the fact that he never lied in his life. And the Lord of the Worlds has testified to this also, when He says (translation of the meaning):

By the Star when it goes down,-

Your Companion [Muhammad - peace be upon him] is neither astray nor being misled.

Nor does he speak of (his own) desire.

It is no less than inspiration sent down to him:

He has been taught (this Quran) by one mighty in power

[Qur'an 53: 1-5]

So anyway, what did he (peace be upon him) say?

Imam Ahmad reported Wathilah bin Al-Asqa` that Allah's Messenger said:

«أُنْزِلَتْ صُحُفُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ فِي أَوَّلِ لَيْلَةٍ مِنْ رَمَضَانَ، وَأُنْزِلَتِ التَّوْرَاةُ لِسِتَ مَضَيْنَ مِنْ رَمَضَانَ، وَالْإِنْجِيلُ لِثَلاثَ عَشَرةَ خَلَتْ مِنْ رَمَضَانَ، وَأَنْزَلَ اللهُ الْقُرْآنَ لأَرْبَعٍ وَعِشْرِينَ خَلَتْ مِنْ رَمَضَان»

(The Suhuf (Pages) of Ibrahim [Abraham] were revealed during the first night of Ramadan. The Torah [to Moses] was revealed during the sixth night of Ramadan. The Injil [Gospel to Jesus son of Mary] was revealed during the thirteenth night of Ramadan. Allah revealed the Qur'an on the twenty-fourth night of Ramadan.)

http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=2&tid=4688

You might like this small article aswell, it's quite funny and informs you of some aspects which you might want to know the answers to. i.e. what to do if you're ill in Ramadan, should you fast or not? etc.

EDIT: http://www.islamicboard.com/fasting-...n-re-runs.html

Thanks for your time! :) Hope you get closer to God/Allah in Ramadan, and be of the successful in this life and the next.

Peace.

MTAFFI
09-13-2007, 01:03 PM
what about chewing 0 calorie gum? Is that ok? Just curious

tomtomsmom
09-13-2007, 01:13 PM
^^nevermind, I found it thanks to Tomtomsmom's post, it says it does indeed start tomorrow!
Yay! Glad I could help. Good luck on your first Ramadan:peace:

- Qatada -
09-13-2007, 02:24 PM
what about chewing 0 calorie gum? Is that ok? Just curious

I think anything which goes down the food pipe, with the exception of saliva isn't to be taken during the fast. :) Sorry if it seems hard, but Allah is the Most Wise, and He will never let us fall into harm, unless the benefit is greater. And Allah knows best.

Peace.

MTAFFI
09-13-2007, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
I think anything which goes down the food pipe, with the exception of saliva isn't to be taken during the fast. :) Sorry if it seems hard, but Allah is the Most Wise, and He will never let us fall into harm, unless the benefit is greater. And Allah knows best.

Peace.
I dont think it will be a problem, I am just a chronic gum chewer and I just feel odd not being able to chew on a nice minty peice of gum! LOL, I am very disciplined though anyways with my eating habits among other things, so I am hoping that I dont have to difficult of a time with this... Allah bless you all and thank you all again for all of your help and advice, hopefully this will be the last time in this thread I will have to bother anyone with these goofy questions :p

PEACE and good luck!

islamirama
09-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Al-Siyaam
70 Matters Related to Fasting
Book by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://islamqa.com/index.php?pg=arti...g&article_id=8

tomtomsmom
09-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Just wondering how the fasting is going???

islamirama
09-17-2007, 03:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
it's going good alhamdulillah. you notice the hunger the first few days (since ur used to munching all day) but eventually your body adapts. also, what you eat makes a big difference. For example, cereals will last a whole day while bread sandwich will digest with in hours. Oh and dates are the best thing, they take all day in slowly breaking down and giving you nutrients little by little thus keeping you from getting hungry.

guyabano
09-17-2007, 03:55 PM
All I know is, that Carbon Hydrates, like Noodles, Rice, Potatoes and bread quickly go into the blood and give you a push of energy, but is also quickly absorbed. I'm pretty sure, cereals do the job much better

aamirsaab
09-17-2007, 06:01 PM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
Pretty well for me, though I've had practice :p. You learn the true meaning of patience whilst fasting. Well I did atleast.

Fishman
09-17-2007, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
All I know is, that Carbon Hydrates, like Noodles, Rice, Potatoes and bread quickly go into the blood and give you a push of energy, but is also quickly absorbed. I'm pretty sure, cereals do the job much better
:sl:
Isn't it sugars that are quickly used up and carbs that stay? And cereals are carbohydrates anyway...
:w:

MinAhlilHadeeth
09-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Greetings,

Sorry for the late reply, but perhaps this link may answer a few questions:

http://fatwaislam.com/fis/index.cfm?scn=sc&sc=10&c=2

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.