/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Defilement

Michael
09-11-2007, 12:38 AM
If a copy of the Qur'an with the original Arabic was present in a room where a major sin (let's say zina, or fornication) was committed, would the Qur'an then become defiled? What if one of the persons moved it out of the room after having already started to commit the sin and he touched it to do that?

If that copy of the Qur'an is defiled, then how does one purify it? As far as I know, there is no Holy Water in Islam like there is in Orthodox Chrisitanity, so you can't sprinkle it with Holy Water. What then do you do?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
09-11-2007, 09:04 AM
I will try to answer to the best of my ability. The Qur'an itself is not worshiped. It is the words of Allah(swt) and as such deserve all possible respect.

The Qur'an is not made impure it is the actions of the person that are impure. The Qur'an would not be in need of purification.

The only time I am aware of that anything needs to be done is if the Qur'an itself is badly worn or damaged, to such an extent that it no longer can be seen as being a worthy representation of the Words of Allah(swt) would anything need to be done so that a reader would not see the words in such a manner that they do not present a pure view. Such as the Qur'an is torn, stained etc. in such case I have been told it should be burned so that no one can use it to desecrate the words.

Hopefully somebody will add to what I said.

Sheba
09-11-2007, 10:52 AM
The book is just that..a book. However the words of the book are God's message to mankind. The book submits to God just as we submit to Him. Whether we are battered and worn, just like the book, we both submit to God.

My Quran is a little worn, but that's because I use it. I would rather see my "tired" well used Quran than a pristine one sat on a shelf gathering dust!

Don't worry about the book, concern youself with the message and let God take care of the rest.

Muhammad
09-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Greetings Michael,

I think this sums it up well:

The Qur'an is not made impure it is the actions of the person that are impure. The Qur'an would not be in need of purification.
There are some deeds which Muslims are prohibited from doing unless they are in a proper state of purity, due to the greatness and loftiness of these deeds. One of these is touching the Qur'an - a person in a state of ritual impurity should not touch the Qur'an, according to the majority of scholars. So to become purified, a person must perform ablution, details of which can be found here:

http://english.islamway.com/flashpag... 782&hight=438
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=11497&ln=eng

When the impurity is classified to be of the major type (related to sexual discharge), even reciting the Qur'an is prohibited.

And Allaah, Exalted be He, knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!