/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mother Upset About Me Being Muslim

Ameena81
09-11-2007, 01:30 AM
I grew up in a very Christian household but I had reverted to Islam. My mother recently found books in my room on Islam and she is very upset, calling other family about my reversion. She said that she doesn't want to see the books in the house. I don't know what to do. Can anybody give any advice? Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khattab
09-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Assalamu Alaikum Sister,

I know its not easy but the best advice I think is just to be patient, I know its easier said than done but be kind to your mother, be constant in your salaat and dua and inshallah over time your mother will see the change and positive effect Islam has had on you.

You are still her daughter and you accepting Islam will never change that fact, let her know this maybe she does not know what Islam is and is frightend by what she see's and hears in the media so your job is to show her by actions and by explaining that Islam is nothing like it is being portrayed whether it be by so called muslims or by the media.

Keep on learning and be patient.

Wa'Alaikum Salam

NoName55
09-16-2007, 01:05 AM
ditto! wa salaam alaikum

Br.Woodrow would know more about situation like this

Woodrow
09-16-2007, 01:06 AM
:w:

First keep in mind it is not because you reverted to Islam your mother is upset. It is because she sees you as having thrown aside all that she herself holds sacred.

Parents tend to try to relive their lives through their children, she wanted you to grow up stronger in her beliefs, than she did. This is making her feel like a failure.

This will be a difficult time, but try to show through example that Islam is truly the fulfillment of what she was seeking herself. By following Islam you will be able to show her that you do have the high moral values she was seeking for you and that it is through Islam you have found how to truly worship the same God(swt) she herself loves, but was not able to worship fully. Give her reason to see she should be proud you have accepted the values of Islam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sevgi
09-16-2007, 01:54 AM
salams..

ditto all the othe posts...

i just want to add something...
make sure that you dont make any mistakes, sudden decisions or lash out at ur mum...u must show to her the serenity you have found and acquired through islam so that she sees the irrationality in her own actions...in this way, she will see that islam is peace and has made her daughter a more moral person...much more moral than herself...

peace.

MustafaMc
09-16-2007, 02:11 PM
First I want to congratulate you on your decision to become a Muslim - one who submits his/her will to that of Allah. You have been blessed with guidance from Allah.

I agree with all comments from above. In addition to the explantation provided by Brother Woodrow, for most non-Muslims in the West, there is a strong association in their minds between Islam and terrorism. We Muslims, of course, do not approve of the violence against innocent people that some Muslims commit. It is difficult to convince others that these actions are not sanctioned by Islam.

I would have to say that as long as you live at home, that you should obey your parents about the Islamic books. Hopefully, your mother does not forbid the Quran and books to show you how to worship Allah such as "Islam in Focus" and "Islam Beliefs and Teachings". Perhaps you can show her the books you are reading where she can better understand.

Quran 29:8 We have enjoined man to show kindness to his parents; but if they (your parents) force you to commit shirk with Me, of which you have no knowledge, do not obey them. To Me is your return and I will inform you of what you have done.

With that said, we must love and fear Allah more than any person or thing. I, too, am a revert and my parents objected to my becoming a Muslim. I had always treated my parents with respect, but they have both since died in a state of being upset with me for my decision. If we believe in a Judgement Day, then we should do what we believe will be best for us on that Day when we stand alone.

Quran 31:15 If they argue with you to commit shirk, of which you have no knowledge, then do not obey them; however you should still treat them kindly in this world, but follow the way of that individual who has turned to Me. After all, to Me is your return; then I will inform you about the reality of all that you have done."

Quran 9:23-24 O believers! Do not take your fathers and your brothers as your friends if they prefer Kufr (unbelief) over Iman (belief); for those who turn away from this commandment shall be considered wrongdoers. O Prophet, tell them: If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your spouses, your relatives, the wealth that you have acquired, the business in which you fear a loss, and the homes which you like are dearer to you than Allah, His Rasool, and making Jihad (struggle) in His Way, then wait until Allah brings about His decision. Allah does not guide the transgressors.

syilla
09-17-2007, 12:49 AM
There is one teenager who converted to Islam. The brother's name is Fishman...if you check out his post i think you can learn something from him...inshaAllah.

omar_2133
09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Firstly, I would just like to offer my deepest congratulations to you on your reversion!

Aside from the superb and brilliant advice given here, I would advise that you inform your mother and emphasize the fact that you've not changed who you are worshipping, and that you believe and worship in the exactly the same God as her.

Also, I suggest you enlighten her on her perception of Islam, which may be likely to be influenced by the media and television, and strongly emphasize that the terrorists and suicide bombers who kill and maime innocent people, are NOT muslims in any way, shape or form and the Quran and Islam condemns them as "enemies" of the religion, and garuantees no place in Paradise for them as they so unashamedly claim, only Hellfire.

Hope this helped, and good luck. May you be blessed with the will and guidance of Allah in these difficult times.

ISLAMASWEENEY
09-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Brother iam white and English and i get beat up every day at school and at home for being Muslim so you have got off lightly.....just be who you want top be.

glo
09-18-2007, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena81
I grew up in a very Christian household but I had reverted to Islam. My mother recently found books in my room on Islam and she is very upset, calling other family about my reversion. She said that she doesn't want to see the books in the house. I don't know what to do. Can anybody give any advice? Thank you.
Greetings, Ameena, and welcome to LI

Please try to understand your mother.
As a Christian and a mother of a teenage daughter myself, and with all due respect to the previous posters, I have to say that I can relate to your mother.

Much as Muslims believe that Christians do not worship God in the true way which he has intended for us, so Christians believe the very same thing about Muslims ...
In your mothers eyes you have strayed from the true path, and of course she fears for your well-being (socially and spiritually) and for your salvation.

But all that aside, you are at an age when children become adults and are expected to start to make their own life choices - and that includes beliefs and values.
If you feel that Islam is right, than you should find out more about it.
Tell your mother that pretending to be a Christian for the sake of family peace would not be right or godly behaviour.

You have to be true to yourself, your family and to God.

I hope that things work out for you.
May the peace of God rest with you and your family. :)

NoName55
09-18-2007, 08:28 PM
This thread has just become a comparative debate.

The Ruler
09-18-2007, 08:31 PM
:sl:

Forgive me; I haven't read any of the posts above, and won't know what's been said. I suggest that you hold your ground, and when you refuse to throw away your valuable stuff, refuse in a kind yet firm manner. Win the battle woman. You know you can. I can always help.

:w:

Woodrow
09-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Some very good advice has been given on this thread. The young Sister that started the thread has not been back to see the replies.

to prevent this thread from either going off track or to become an unmanageable size I am going to lock it from further posting, so that it can be useful for the Sister to read and understand.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.