/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How has LI changed your opinion of islam

Ummu Sufyaan
09-11-2007, 10:18 AM
hi.
it's just as the title suggests. no nasty comments please.
has it helped you to understand the community of muslims (if any) around you? or even as a whole
has it made your heart more leniant towards islam/muslims. in what way.
has it made your heart more hatred towrds islam/muslims?

Your comments dont have to be neccesarily in response to the above questions. feel free to add your own.

Like i said, no nasty comments please. just say something like, it hasn't had a positive affect in me.

:sunny:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
09-12-2007, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
has it helped you to understand the community of muslims (if any) around you? or even as a whole
Yes, in a great many ways.

I suppose so, although I don't really think 'lenient' is the right word.. it rather implies muslims have done something wrong. I'm no more convinced as to the truth of Islam, though, I'm afraid.

Certainly not.

Gator
09-13-2007, 01:46 AM
has it helped you to understand the community of muslims (if any) around you? or even as a whole. Yes it has, its shown me a lot of the spectrum of different muslims.

has it made your heart more leniant towards islam/muslims. in what way. I understand muslims a better, but as Trumble stated I don't know if leniant is the right word for your question.

has it made your heart more hatred towrds islam/muslims? I don't have hatred toward islam/muslims in general so I'd say no.
I don't know if its changed my opinion about islam per se, but it has helped my understanding of structure, differing opinions, etc.

Thanks.

snakelegs
09-13-2007, 02:03 AM
i didn't have hate to begin with and i don't now.
the main thing is that i have learned a lot here and it has deepened my respect for islam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
09-13-2007, 02:14 AM
:sl:

Coming here as a recent revert, has helped me to learn to practice what I had learned. Initially not being around many Muslims,I had little experience on how to interact with other Muslims. It gave me the chance to learn the proper way to interact with my Brothers and Sisters.

The forum helped me through my early growing pains and come to an understanding of what it means to live as a Muslim. It has also given me a whole community of Brothers and Sisters to share life with.

glo
09-13-2007, 01:55 PM
It certainly has! :)
The reason I came to LI was to understand about Islam, so I could relate to and interact with my Muslim neighbours better. Although there are many Muslims in my neighbourhood, they keep themselves very much to themselves, and I seemed unable to make contact with them.
Here in LI I am just another member of a community, and I can move freely and learn about Islam as well as share my own thoughts, feelings, beliefs etc.
That's exactly what I wish I could do with my 'real' Muslim neighbours in my 'real' community.
Being here has confirmed my initial belief that Muslims and Christians truly do worship they same God, although in different ways.
I have developed a great appreciation for how eagerly many Muslims seem to want to serve God, and how dedicated they are to their faith.
I have also learned how many values and beliefs our religions share.
I never did hate Muslims before, and I don't now.
Jesus said 'Love your neighbour as you love yourself' - so how can I hate my Muslim brothers and sisters??? :statisfie

Peace

guyabano
09-13-2007, 02:12 PM
I come here because I had many questions about Islam and of course I learned a few things.

Having questions means also expressing doubts or asking counter-questions, but sad to say, as soon as I express doubts, I get immediately insulted or get bad PM's from people.

LI didn't change my opinion about Islam.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-13-2007, 02:19 PM
^ it sounds more like LI didnt change your opinion about muslims :p

Soulja Girl
09-13-2007, 02:29 PM

I haven't been on LI for that long, but I must say, I've learnt a lot and its kinda helped me become a better Person Alhamdulillah...:)

:w:

Abdul Fattah
09-13-2007, 02:51 PM
If I start moving posts that should be an indication to stop it guys! Not to continue posting about it. Let it go, swallow it up, be the bigger man, ignore it, whatever you do, don't take the thread even more off topic. This is clearly not what it was intended for.

Sarada
09-13-2007, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=maryam11;827294]hi.
it's just as the title suggests. no nasty comments please.{/quote]

It has definitely helped me understand the community of muslims in general and those around me as well.

I wish that Muslims in general were more open to associating with non-Muslims. The Muslim individuals I have met have such a strong faith, that they certainly need to have no fear that their faith would be in any way be diluted. It would, however, help to bring about more tolerance and acceptance of Muslims in the West.

Like others, I don't think "lenient" is the right word. I would say that through better understanding, my feelings towards muslims have become more friendly than they were before. However, I never felt any animosity towards Muslims in the first place.

Absolutely not.

LI unlike other Islamic forums I have visited, is very open to divergent opinions and very welcoming to non-Muslims with an interest in Islam.

Idris
09-13-2007, 03:02 PM
LI unlike other Islamic forums I have visited, is very open to divergent opinions and very welcoming to non-Muslims with an interest in Islam.
nice to hear :)

m102313
09-13-2007, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
I come here because I had many questions about Islam and of course I learned a few things.

Having questions means also expressing doubts or asking counter-questions, but sad to say, as soon as I express doubts, I get immediately insulted or get bad PM's from people.

LI didn't change my opinion about Islam.
Yes, then maybe you should think about what you post, i have seen many of your comments, and i have to say, many of them are not so pleasant. :mmokay:

Walter
10-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi Maryam:

I was trying to post this before Ramadan, but found the Comparative Religion section closed, and made an incorrect conclusion about my status here.

This forum has challenged my religious beliefs. One normally believes the first thing that one is taught even if it is erroneous. This forum has caused me to do in-depth research in the teachings of the Bible and the Qu'ran for which I am very grateful.

This forum has also revealed a very important idea. Muslims basically believe that the Qu'ran is correct and the Bible is incorrect, and Christians believe the opposite. However, none are willing to examine the possibility that they may both be right.

Regards,
Grenville

Trumble
10-17-2007, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grenville
However, none are willing to examine the possibility that they may both be right.
Not sure about that. I think it has probably been examined in some depth elsewhere, if not here. I think the general consensus is that, despite considerable common ground, they are simply not compatable. The most fundamental belief of each (aside from the basic monotheistic tenet) - in one case the divinity and the Passion of Christ and in the other the Qur'an as the final Revelation of God given to Mohammed - just can't be fitted into the structure of the other religion. If you accept the former, the latter must be wrong, and vice versa.

Kittygyal
10-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Salamualikum

One sentence:

It has made me make new chaps and i'z learning more and more, safe inabit

Ma'assalama

glo
10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grenville
However, none are willing to examine the possibility that they may both be right.
I agree with Trumble.

It seems that the Qu'ran is explicitly clear in teaching that Jesus was a man and prophet only, and not God - and that anybody who believes otherwise commits the terrible sin of shirk.
The New Testament is very clearl in teaching that Jesus is God - and that anybody who refuses to believe in him cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Those two opposing views cannot possibly be both right ... how can they?
(Although I hear that with God all things are possible ....! :statisfie)

Peace

Grace Seeker
10-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Some might be shocked and disheartened to find this among the things that I have learned from LI. (I know I was.) But I have learned that while the majority of Muslims themselves are friendly, Islam itself is basically more hostile to Christianity than I thought. And that more Muslims than I realized are hostile to anything associated with western culture, simply because it is western.

SATalha
10-17-2007, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Some might be shocked and disheartened to find this among the things that I have learned from LI. (I know I was.) But I have learned that while the majority of Muslims themselves are friendly, Islam itself is basically more hostile to Christianity than I thought. And that more Muslims than I realized are hostile to anything associated with western culture, simply because it is western.
I dont think Islam is hostile towards Christians? Islam teaches us that the most closest people to the Believers are the Christians (i forget what surah). And also that the Christains among them are people who love to learn and worship the One God. You see God All Mighty hates on thing and thats the assocciation of others with him. Thats why you see many Muslims being negative towards our Christian Friends. This is the Users fualt not the ISLAM.

You see All the Prophets tought on thing, Oness of God and to worship him, And Jesus PBUH said that he came to uphold this Law and not to breake it.

Trumble
10-18-2007, 12:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SATalha
I dont think Islam is hostile towards Christians? Islam teaches us that the most closest people to the Believers are the Christians (i forget what surah). And also that the Christains among them are people who love to learn and worship the One God. You see God All Mighty hates on thing and thats the assocciation of others with him. Thats why you see many Muslims being negative towards our Christian Friends. This is the Users fualt not the ISLAM.
I think all you are doing is confirming Grace Seeker's point. The divinity of Christ is a, if not the, core belief of Christianity. As Christians must hold that belief to be Christians how can it be their 'fault'? It can only be that from a purely muslim perspective, which is hardly what tolerance and mutual understanding are about. They are 'negative' simply because they don't happen to agree.

It's no different from, or better than, saying that Christians are 'negative' towards muslims because muslims have the false belief that the final revelation of God was given to Mohammed, and that that is the 'fault' of muslims, not Christianity.

Grace Seeker
10-18-2007, 03:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SATalha

You see All the Prophets tought on thing, Oness of God and to worship him, And Jesus PBUH said that he came to uphold this Law and not to breake it.
Are you disputing me on how my opinion has changed? Correcting me on what my own experience has been?

I've heard that no person in their right mind has ever left Islam for another religion. I think now I know why you might say that.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-18-2007, 03:22 AM
hi,
can you please explan this concept to me. becuase as far as my logic goes, the true followers of something, should be like that of the followed (thats not to say that i think Islam is hostile (a3ootho bilah-I seek Refuge with Allah, from that).:)

And that more Muslims than I realized are hostile to anything associated with western culture, simply because it is western.
perhaps that associated with the west invading our countries (as opposed to being hostile towards it, just because it is western),raping our women, leaving our children homeless, etc. :) so natrually, you will find people disliking/hating things from others, after been shown brutalilty, etc.
i dont mean to start an argument, just want to clarify why that may be.

جوري
10-18-2007, 04:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
- just can't be fitted into the structure of the other religion. If you accept the former, the latter must be wrong, and vice versa.

I don't think it is a matter of right or wrong..rather which is most correct...

I'll use the analogy of you showing up say with chest pain in the ER
1- Does your ER doc take your troponins?
2-Does he administer an EKG?
3-Does he give you an Aspirin/ heparin and draw a blood test?
4-Does he give you TPA on an emergent basis?
5-Does he secure your airway breathing and circulation?
6-Does he rule out other possibilites than a heart attack like an aortic dissection or GERD?

DO you see how they are all potentially correct answers? on a state licensing exam only ONE IS MOST CORRECT. Only one will score you a point on the test... Thus I say.. I personally don't believe the other monotheistic religions are wrong, whether Manadeans, sabeans, Jewish, Christian or whatever... it is a matter of which is most correct.. of course that is a decision left to the individual. In Islam generally we don't need to prove that the other prophets are wrong, to make prophet Mohammed (p) the one true messenger.. we hold them all in the same regards... It is actually a bonus being a Muslim Al7mdlilah.. one doesn't have to spend his/her life debunking the achievements of other messengers to shine a light on another....Islam to me and most practicing Muslims is the most well preserved and encompassing...

peace!

Grace Seeker
10-18-2007, 05:11 AM
hi,
can you please explan this concept to me. becuase as far as my logic goes, the true followers of something, should be like that of the followed (thats not to say that i think Islam is hostile (a3ootho bilah-I seek Refuge with Allah, from that).:)
I will try. You have to note that first I said that I found Muslims to be friendly. So, before being on LI, my experience with Islam was based primarily on three sources:
1) What I saw on TV.
2) What I read in the Qu'ran and books on Islam.
3) What I experienced in my personal relationships with persons who were Muslims one-on-one.

The only negative information I got was from TV, and of these information sources, TV was the one most easily discounted because I know that it likes to sensationalize things. So, as I learned about what I considered to be the genuine everyday practice of regular Muslims, I had a pretty positive view not only of my friends, but of Isalm as a whole.

However, on LI, I learned that there were others in Islam whose primary goal was to belittle me, mock my beliefs, create strawmen with regard to my theology so as to more easily dismiss it, and otherwise denegrade as much as they possibly could regarding Christianity. I assume as a means of buildinig up their own faith. There are people like this in Christianity who attack others in similar ways. I have never been impressed by them, but until coming to LI, I had never meant any people so inclined in Islam. Except for images of mass street protests I saw on TV, images that I dismissed as not be truly representative of genuine Islam because I suspect TV of going for the sensationalistic over the mundane, I had not had anything but positive encounters with Islam. Well, coming here taught me that this will not always be the case. And sometimes the only thing that a person has to know about me is that I am a Christian to be discounted, dismissed, or deprecated. Some Muslims have been so strident in their arguing for their own faith, that they have even refused to let me define what it is that I believe for myself and tell we what I as a Christian must believe (which rarely is what I really believe) and then they proceed to tell me why it is unreasonable, oblivous to the fact that I don't consider it to be a Christian belief in the first place. Moreover, while not every person engages in that type of behavior, many more who don't themselves behave this way actually applaude their efforts. I see this as an anti-Christian bias within Islam because it won't even let Christianity speak for itself. Take the key Christian concept that Jesus is indeed God incarnate. Well, I knew that Islam and Christianity disagreed on this concept, but until I was here on LI, I didn't realize how much verbal venom could actually be produced simply discussing this. And these are not just the protestations of a few rogue elements. Islam itself promotes these views by labeling us kuffar, our beliefs as shirk. So, these are things I learned about Islam here that I had not associated with it previously.

And then once we have been declared nothing more than kuffar, we can be treated in just about anyway, and that is seen as justifiable, because one of the "good" things that one can do in Islam is to rid the world of anything shirk or kuffar. Now most decent people don't do that with people they have personal one-on-one relationships with. They find otherways to work out differences, sometimes learning to respect, even sometimes to appreciate those differences. And Muslims are decent individuals. But group mentality can effect a Muslim just like anyone else. Thus, let one begin to cast others as nothing more than kuffar, and the Ummah as needing to stand against it, and you soon have an Us vs. Them way of looking at the world. So, then what does one do in that environment. Well, one might genuinely think a reasonable response would be: let's clean up the world everything that doesn't belong in the world we envision. But in this case we are not talking about objects, rather we are talking about people who have been de-humanized into nothing more than objects.

perhaps that associated with the west invading out countries,raping our women, leaving our children homeless, etc. :)
i dont mean to start an argument, just want to clarify why that may be.
Maybe? I'm not here to judge cause. Of course, that means that one views the west as a monolithic whole. You realize it isn't, don't you? Is it fair that some people view all Muslims as radical extremists because of those who make threats or commit violence in the name of Islam?

I was surprised last spring by an LI member, a young 20+ Muslim man living in the eastern USA, who had been brought here as a young child and raised here by his immigrant parents. He spoke English as his primary language, didn't even know how to speak Arabic well enough to read the Qu'ran. He was at the time availing himself of all the rights and priviledges of being a permanent resident of the USA, attending university at resident tuition rates, using the country's infastructure, and benefited from its economy in finding work, but then at the same time vilified it and said he couldn't think of one good thing about it.

Why couldn't he? He was able to live exactly as he wanted to live. To worship as he wanted to. Even to speak as he wanted to. And if he really hated it here, he was also free to leave. But he chose to stay, saying that he didn't want to leave, but he would never be an American. Well, certainly he didn't have to become an American, and if he so chose he could still be proud of his country of national origin. I have a son who arrived here as an immigrant refugee from another country and culture, I understand these things. But to say that there is nothing good here (his parents must have thought there was something good here), and yet to stay here. That is the height of folly to my way of thinking.

You know there are Muslims living in the west. Muslims in the congress of the United States, voted in by non-Muslims. Muslim women may wear the hijab with complete freedom in the USA, while in countries like Turkey it is restricted. Muslims may criticize the government in the USA, while in Iran it is proscribed. (Don't tell me it is not, I have a friend who was born, raised, and currently lives in Tehran.) Muslims may read anything they want in the USA, while, as I understand it, in Saudi Arabia even possession of a Bible is against the law, even it is just for compartive religion purposes. (This even though the Qu'ran does not actually forbid reading it.) So, if Muslims are going to take advantage of these things, and they do and should, then let us not them label all things western to be bad.

Perhaps the most irritating thing about this anti-western sentiment, is that I often here it brought up because of the decedance of western society. Hey, I agree that it is. But, there is decedance in every Muslim country too. Listen to the music on the streets of Egypt and Malaysia. How many bars are there in Istanbul? And good "proper" bars where the women dance only with women and the men dance only with men. (Sure, while drinking alcohol, playing music, and socializing at the tables with members of the opposite sex.) But the worst decadence I know of in the world is that reported to be by another friend who is a cab driver in Tripoli. He tells me of Saudi businessmen, who come to Libya supposedly on business, but the first thing they wants him to do for them when he picks them up at the airport is to find a young male prostitute for them on the way to their hotel. I told him I didn't believe it, except that there are bad apples in every crowd. He said it wasn't one or two, but the whole barrel. This isn't decadance that the west has fostered upon Islam. This is home-grown decadence.

The west has plenty of things it needs to correct in the way it relates to the rest of the world. Western wrongs cannot be excused by pointing at wrongs others do. But Muslim wrong doing can't be excused by pointing at western wrongs either. We each need to clean up our own mess. Be it military aggression, imperialism, terrorism, or simply moral terpitude, we need to point it out when we see it, say that this isn't who we are and let it be known that such behavior is simply no longer acceptable.

Walter
10-18-2007, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I agree with Trumble.

It seems that the Qu'ran is explicitly clear in teaching that Jesus was a man and prophet only, and not God - and that anybody who believes otherwise commits the terrible sin of shirk.
Peace
Hi Glo:

Please be advised that the Qu'ran teaches that Jesus is much more than just a prophet as you have asserted - they teach that He is the Messiah.

Regards,
Grenville

SATalha
10-18-2007, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I think all you are doing is confirming Grace Seeker's point. The divinity of Christ is a, if not the, core belief of Christianity. As Christians must hold that belief to be Christians how can it be their 'fault'? It can only be that from a purely muslim perspective, which is hardly what tolerance and mutual understanding are about. They are 'negative' simply because they don't happen to agree.

It's no different from, or better than, saying that Christians are 'negative' towards muslims because muslims have the false belief that the final revelation of God was given to Mohammed, and that that is the 'fault' of muslims, not Christianity.
Yes these core beliefs are of Christians AND not Jesus PBUH, buts thats my point this is the only major difference is the belief of trinity. That is why God All Mighty places importance on Christians. Thats why our approuch towards christians should be as if they are alomost Muslims. Many people might not like that idea, but its shows us that we MUST be friendliest to the Christians. Because they are the closest to us.

But at the end of the day we can only talk and debate at the end and final Judgment it will all be mesured:sunny:

SATalha
10-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Are you disputing me on how my opinion has changed? Correcting me on what my own experience has been?

I've heard that no person in their right mind has ever left Islam for another religion. I think now I know why you might say that.
No iam not. Sorry if it seemed that way:D. All iam saying is that the Quran teaches us to be closest with the Christians:D

czgibson
10-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Greetings,

I think the first thing to say is that there are some great characters here, and our lives would all be the poorer without them. If there's anyone who thinks Muslims have no sense of humour, I would point them in the direction of Muezzin, who makes me laugh out loud with pretty much everything he posts. If there's anyone who thinks Muslims know nothing about science, I would point them to PurestAmbrosia or Abdul Fattah, who, between them, might actually know everything in the world. Etc. etc. The rest of you know who you are. :)

My experience of LI has been somewhat similar to Grace Seeker's, despite the fact that he is a Christian and I'm an atheist. I think he makes his points very sensitively and eloquently above, and his detailed post repays close reading.

I think that absolutely the key thing I have learned while here is the sheer diversity that exists within the Muslim community. It's never good to think of any group as a monolith, but on the face of things Islam would seem to have more justification than most for being monolithic - the whole religion is about unity, of god and of the ummah.

But in fact there are lots of different attitudes to be found among Muslims beyond what is prescribed in the Qur'an, upon which (in theory) all should be agreed. However, I think that the inevitable uncertainty that derives from attempting to live one's life in the modern world according to a 7th century book creates a level of possibilities for disagreement among Muslims that seems to make the unification of the ummah unlikely.

"What should the Muslim's attitude towards the kuffar be?" is a key question, to which you will find different approaches around this forum. Most are happy to talk to us in a perfectly civilised way, but there are sometimes one or two posters who will chime in with phrases like "you American murderers" or "filthy kuffar". Of course, we should be grown-up enough to realise that that kind of talk often comes from teenage posters who don't know any better, but that this sort of thing often seems to go unchallenged is a little worrying. Thinking "all Americans are murderers" or "all kaffirs are filthy" is just as stupid as thinking "all Muslims are terrorists", as I've had to point out far too many times.

The forum has certainly helped me to understand more about the Muslim community, but I've (we've) still got a long way to go.

Peace

SATalha
10-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Thats intresting to hear:smile:

Ummu Sufyaan
10-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Islam itself promotes these views by labeling us kuffar, our beliefs as shirk. So, these are things I learned about Islam here that I had not associated with it previously.

And then once we have been declared nothing more than kuffar, we can be treated in just about anyway, and that is seen as justifiable, because one of the "good" things that one can do in Islam is to rid the world of anything shirk or kuffar.
im not sure what islaams stance on how to treat other people and/or their beleifs, so therefore, i will not comment. however, i will advice you, as someone once did by saying "do not study the mulims, study islam."
because one of the "good" things that one can do in Islam is to rid the world of anything shirk or kuffar.
you must try to understand this, although i do understand if this is hard. the way I personally look at it, is how would you like to be lied against. essentially christianity is attributing to god a son. this is big in islam, as im sure you have come to learn. please note, im not trying to attack your beliefs.

Is it fair that some people view all Muslims as radical extremists because of those who make threats or commit violence in the name of Islam?
Absolutley not, and you raise a very good point. there are a lot of good non-muslims who have a decent respect for islam/muslims. but unfortunatley this is the way some of the world (if not all) sees us. And perhaps this is another reason why some muslims hate the west.

To worship as he wanted to. Even to speak as he wanted to.
is it really this wauy, in the so countries that apperentlypromote freedom of speech. i remember a story came on the news after 9/11, where a young man in the US came to school with a picture of G.Bush on his shirt, with the slogan "internation terrirost" you know what happened to him? he got sent home. there is even a case where i live with the brothers fearing to go and pray in congretion with their fellow brother for fear of being seen as 'extremeists' and therefore possibly being watched. freedom of speech?? this maybe one of the most overrated statments.

Muslim women may wear the hijab with complete freedom in the USA
yes, but they maybe mocked at, spat at, etc. same goes to the brother, growing thier beards.

Muslims may read anything they want in the USA, while, as I understand it, in Saudi Arabia even possession of a Bible is against the law, even it is just for compartive religion purposes.
with all due respect, i'd be quite affraid if they did allow it. it may initally be for comp. religious pruposes, but whose to say that it wil not go anyfurther. a stich in time, saves nine, as they say. im not sure whats wrong with protecting your people from corrption. im not just refering to religion. i would, for example becareful who i let my daughters/sons be friends with.

Listen to the music on the streets of Egypt and Malaysia. How many bars are there in Istanbul? And good "proper" bars where the women dance only with women and the men dance only with men. (Sure, while drinking alcohol, playing music, and socializing at the tables with members of the opposite sex.)
I, myself is disgusted with this. however, i think we are looking at it in two different windows, so this argument shall stop here, inshallah (God willing)

we each need to clean up our own mess.
we sure do...

glo
10-19-2007, 01:17 PM
im not sure what islaams stance on how to treat other people and/or their beleifs, so therefore, i will not comment. however, i will advice you, as someone once did by saying "do not study the mulims, study islam."

Greetings, maryam

Remember that your original question was 'How has LI changed your opinion if Islam?'.
That's the question Grace Seeker is answering. By the very question you ask you are inviting people to describe how LI (i.e. the Muslim members who post here) represent Islam to them.

Your advice to study Islam instead of Muslims is interesting, but not really relevant to your original question.
(Along those lines, Mahatma Ghandi is quoted to have said this about Christians: “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”) :embarrass

Salaam, sister.

Grace Seeker
10-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Maryam,

We can talk about what are and are not fair opinions to have with regard to Islam if you want. That is not what I was trying to address. Rather, I was simply trying to answer your questions:

First, how had LI changed my opinion of Islam? That question of course assumes that I had an opinion when I came here and that it has changed. As I indicated originally. I had an opinion of Islam that was based on very limited and personal exposure. LI has given me a greater, more general exposure and that has indeed changed my opinion some. I have expressed here what those changes are. You may or may not appreciate hearing about them, you may want to argue with me or applaude me because of my new point-of-view. But all I am doing is reporting to you the change that has occured in my views just as you asked.

Second, you asked me to explain one of those comments I made more. So, I walked you through the process as how those changes came about in my life and outlined the factors that influenced my present view. Again, this may be good or bad news to you, but that wasn't the point in my telling them. I was simply trying to answer you question, explaining what I had meant. Certainly you may argue that I shouldn't feel that way, that I should view everything through the eyes of Islam, or that I have a false view of the world if you wish. But, again, that is not what I thought this thread was about -- we have those discussions in dozens, hundreds of other threads already.

I thought your question was directed primarily at learning how LI was impacting others. I shared that. Your last post now seems more directed not at trying to understand me, but at correcting me, asking me to understand you. Is that your new intent?

Karina
10-19-2007, 05:41 PM
OK.
I have a big problem with the media. I don't trust the majority of news sources and will always try to find impartial or accurate information, if there is such a thing!

Based on this opinion, I made the decision that I would come to LI to converse and debate with Muslims & make my own mind up about Islam.

I find most here to be wonderfully courtious, knowledgeable, humerous, friendly, willing to inform & kind.

I feel welcomed by the majority, although I understand and appreciate that there are those who may mis-trust or dislike me because of my Agnostic beliefs.

I enjoy immensely partaking in debates and discussing world affairs from an Agnostic point of view. I'm studying a combination of Sociology, Criminology and Psychology at the moment so some of the information I find here is invaluable my studies. I love to broaden my knowledge, as I know there are so many people that are totally ignorant to what is going on outside their own front door, let alone other faiths, and I will always strive to find out as much as I can before passing judgement - not just about Islam, about anything.

I very much look forward to logging on to LI, and I still have so much to learn! It will probably never change my beliefs as such, but I feel it's important to interact with people from all walks of life. Knowledge and understanding are crucial to me.

I have one thing, that I must be honest, I may have been quite naive about before I came here, and it does upset me if I'm truthful.
I never ever knew how much distrust and disrespect there is out there for the "West" and the "Western" way of life until I came here.
I sometimes feel hurt that although I am a good person, I KNOW I am a good person, in some Muslim eyes, as a Westerner, I may be labelled as immoral, promiscuous, selfish and greedy. I know. It's the minority. But it still hurts.

And prejudice undeniably works both ways of course. West to East, East to West. But this is why I come - to learn and to make sure I know enough to teach my children about Islam, to at least ensure that some of the next generation learn to embrace our diverse amazing world and to grow up without prejudice, hungry to learn of other ways of life and cultures.

After all, we all have to live together in this beautiful world. imsad

shible
10-19-2007, 06:18 PM

I have nothing to say since what ever i felt of saying is already spoken by my fellow Members, brothers and Sisters of the Forum in previous posts.

But my main reason to join the Forum was to know how the West reacts on Islam and Muslim. and how far the Muslims respond back to West.

But i felt it is Asia that seems to be lagging in this knowledge tranformation due to the lack of technology.

and now i can see here and there people from around Asia starting to join and Explore this

As a Muslim and basically as a human beign i don't feel hatred to anyone. Since my family tradition and Culture is in that way. Which taught me to be kind in each and every scenario

I admit i have explored a lot from inside myself as well as outside by joining this Forum

Masha Allah
:w:

Ummu Sufyaan
10-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Is that your new intent?
absolutley not. i know that i went a little off topic, but please try to understand that i was trying to elaborate on issues bought up. i cannot sit and watch my broithers and sisters hurting as in
And that more Muslims than I realized are hostile to anything associated with western culture, simply because it is western.
without trying to atlaest justify why that maybe. its not an attack on you, or your beleifs. Inshallah (God willing) this angle of the discussion will stop here.

Remember that your original question was 'How has LI changed your opinion if Islam?'.
That's the question Grace Seeker is answering. By the very question you ask you are inviting people to describe how LI (i.e. the Muslim members who post here) represent Islam to them.
yes, glo. That is true. and for my reason as to going off tangent, plaese see my above answer. :sunny:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.