/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Honouring One's Parents

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-12-2007, 04:43 PM
:sl:

Originally translated by a brother on a different forum.

The following were collected by 'Abd al-Malik al-Qasim, in his book 'Birr al-Walidayn':

1 - Mujahid said:

"If the parents grow old and end up urinating and answering the call of nature on themselves, do not feel disgusted or say 'Uff' to them. Rather, remove the urine and feces from them, just as they used to do when you were young without feeling disgust in doing that for you."

2 - al-Husayn bin 'Ali narrated:

"Had there been an act of disrespect (to the parents) less than saying 'Uff', Allah would have disallowed it as well."

3 - al-Bayhaqi reports that Ibn 'Abbas said:

"Allah opens two doors (to Paradise) for every Muslim that is dutiful to his (or her) two Muslim parents, awaiting the reward with Allah alone, and one door if he (or she) had one surviving parents to whom he was dutiful. Furthermore, if one makes his parents angry, then Allah will not be pleased with him until his parents forgive him."

He was asked: "Even if they were unjust to their child?"

He said: "Even if they were unjust."

4 - Ibn al-Jawzi reports that Ibn Muhayriz said:

"He who walks in front of his father will have fallen into disrespect of him, unless he walks in front of him to remove some harm from his way."

He also reports in his book 'al-Birr was-Silah':

"Children, no matter how old they get, should not look their parents straight in the eye, walk in front of them, speak first when they are present, or walk to the right or left of them, unless they make such a request. Rather, children should walk behind their parents just as a servant would do with his master."

He also reports that when Nasr ibn Abu Hafidh al-Maqdisi travelled from Jerusalem to Iraq to learn with al-Kazaruni, a well-known scholar at that time, al-Kazaruni asked him: "Is your mother alive?" Nasr said: "Yes." al-Kazaruni asked: "Have you taken her permission?" Nasr said: "No." al-Kazaruni said, "By Allah! You will not learn from me until you go back to her so that her anger ends." Nasr went back to his mother in Jerusalem and remained with her until she died, then traveled to collect knowledge.

5 - Abu Bakr bin 'Ayyash said:

"I used to sit with Mansur in his house and I would hear his mother, who was loud and rude, shout at him, 'O Mansur! Ibn Hubayrah (governor of Iraq at that time) appointed you to the post of judge, but you refused!' Mansur would not even look her in the eye out of respect."

6 - When Haywah bin Shurih used to sit teaching the people, his mother would sometimes say to him: "O Haywah! Feed the chickens some barley," he would leave the audience, obey his mother, and then resume the lecture!

7 - at-Tirmidhi reports that the Prophet said:

"The parent is the best among the doors of Paradise, so lose that door or protect it."

8 - Ibn 'Abbas said, when he was asked about the people of al-A'raf:

"al-A'raf is a mountain between Paradise and the Fire. Those who will be kept at al-A'raf include some men who joined the Jihad without permission from their fathers and mothers and were martyred in the Jihad. Their death in the cause of Allah qualified them to be saved from the Fire, but their disobedience to their parents prevented them from entering Paradise. They will remain at al-A'raf until Allah decides in their case."

9 - The Prophet said:

"No child can pay back his parents, unless he finds that his father is a slave, so he buys him and sets him free."

10 - Ibn al-Jawzi reported that al-Hasan said:

"It is better for you to eat dinner with your mother, so that her heart is comforted, than to perform a voluntary Hajj."

11 - al-Hakim narrates that the Prophet said:

"Allah delays the punishment for whatever sins He wills until the Day of Resurrection, except for disrespect and disobedience of the parents, for he rushes its recompense (in this life)."

12 - Ibn al-Jawzi reported:

During hot days, az-Zubayr ibn Hisham would taste the water he brought and if he found it to be cold, he would prefer his father with it and send it to him to drink.

He also reports that Abu Hurayrah, may Allah be pleased with him, used to carry his mother so that she could answer the call of nature and bring her back when she was finished after she became old and blind.

13 - Zur'ah bin Ibrahim narrated:

A man came to 'Umar and said to him: "I have an old mother who is unable to go answer the call of nature, so I carry her on my back. I also help her perform ablution while turning my face away from her (out of respect). Have I fulfilled my duty towards her?"

'Umar said, "No."

The man said: "Even though I carry her on my back and exert myself in her service?"

'Umar said: "She used to do the same for you when you were young, while hoping that you will live. As for you, you await when she will go away (die)."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
unknown_JJ
09-12-2007, 04:54 PM
jazakallah 4 the post .. a gd reminder tc

Abdul-Raouf
09-13-2007, 03:22 AM
Jazakallah khair...

Sarada
09-13-2007, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Ubaydullah

Originally translated by a brother on a different forum.

The following were collected by 'Abd al-Malik al-Qasim, in his book 'Birr al-Walidayn':

1 - Mujahid said:

"If the parents grow old and end up urinating and answering the call of nature on themselves, do not feel disgusted or say 'Uff' to them. Rather, remove the urine and feces from them, just as they used to do when you were young without feeling disgust in doing that for you."

2 - al-Husayn bin 'Ali narrated:

"Had there been an act of disrespect (to the parents) less than saying 'Uff', Allah would have disallowed it as well."

3 - al-Bayhaqi reports that Ibn 'Abbas said:

"Allah opens two doors (to Paradise) for every Muslim that is dutiful to his (or her) two Muslim parents, awaiting the reward with Allah alone, and one door if he (or she) had one surviving parents to whom he was dutiful. Furthermore, if one makes his parents angry, then Allah will not be pleased with him until his parents forgive him."

He was asked: "Even if they were unjust to their child?"

He said: "Even if they were unjust."

4 - Ibn al-Jawzi reports that Ibn Muhayriz said:

"He who walks in front of his father will have fallen into disrespect of him, unless he walks in front of him to remove some harm from his way."

He also reports in his book 'al-Birr was-Silah':

"Children, no matter how old they get, should not look their parents straight in the eye, walk in front of them, speak first when they are present, or walk to the right or left of them, unless they make such a request. Rather, children should walk behind their parents just as a servant would do with his master."

He also reports that when Nasr ibn Abu Hafidh al-Maqdisi travelled from Jerusalem to Iraq to learn with al-Kazaruni, a well-known scholar at that time, al-Kazaruni asked him: "Is your mother alive?" Nasr said: "Yes." al-Kazaruni asked: "Have you taken her permission?" Nasr said: "No." al-Kazaruni said, "By Allah! You will not learn from me until you go back to her so that her anger ends." Nasr went back to his mother in Jerusalem and remained with her until she died, then traveled to collect knowledge.

5 - Abu Bakr bin 'Ayyash said:

"I used to sit with Mansur in his house and I would hear his mother, who was loud and rude, shout at him, 'O Mansur! Ibn Hubayrah (governor of Iraq at that time) appointed you to the post of judge, but you refused!' Mansur would not even look her in the eye out of respect."

6 - When Haywah bin Shurih used to sit teaching the people, his mother would sometimes say to him: "O Haywah! Feed the chickens some barley," he would leave the audience, obey his mother, and then resume the lecture!

7 - at-Tirmidhi reports that the Prophet said:

"The parent is the best among the doors of Paradise, so lose that door or protect it."

8 - Ibn 'Abbas said, when he was asked about the people of al-A'raf:

"al-A'raf is a mountain between Paradise and the Fire. Those who will be kept at al-A'raf include some men who joined the Jihad without permission from their fathers and mothers and were martyred in the Jihad. Their death in the cause of Allah qualified them to be saved from the Fire, but their disobedience to their parents prevented them from entering Paradise. They will remain at al-A'raf until Allah decides in their case."

9 - The Prophet said:

"No child can pay back his parents, unless he finds that his father is a slave, so he buys him and sets him free."

10 - Ibn al-Jawzi reported that al-Hasan said:

"It is better for you to eat dinner with your mother, so that her heart is comforted, than to perform a voluntary Hajj."

11 - al-Hakim narrates that the Prophet said:

"Allah delays the punishment for whatever sins He wills until the Day of Resurrection, except for disrespect and disobedience of the parents, for he rushes its recompense (in this life)."

12 - Ibn al-Jawzi reported:

During hot days, az-Zubayr ibn Hisham would taste the water he brought and if he found it to be cold, he would prefer his father with it and send it to him to drink.

He also reports that Abu Hurayrah, may Allah be pleased with him, used to carry his mother so that she could answer the call of nature and bring her back when she was finished after she became old and blind.

13 - Zur'ah bin Ibrahim narrated:

A man came to 'Umar and said to him: "I have an old mother who is unable to go answer the call of nature, so I carry her on my back. I also help her perform ablution while turning my face away from her (out of respect). Have I fulfilled my duty towards her?"

'Umar said, "No."

The man said: "Even though I carry her on my back and exert myself in her service?"

'Umar said: "She used to do the same for you when you were young, while hoping that you will live. As for you, you await when she will go away (die)."

Salaam,

How does this apply to non-Muslim parents who respect their children's beliefs and yearn for their love and companionship?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
09-13-2007, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarada
Salaam,

How does this apply to non-Muslim parents who respect their children's beliefs and yearn for their love and companionship?
You do the exact same for your non-Muslim parents in all save one-- that is, if they ask you to do something against that which Allah has decreed!

peace!

Sarada
09-13-2007, 07:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
You do the exact same for your non-Muslim parents in all save one-- that is, if they ask you to do something against that which Allah has decreed!

peace!
Thank-you!

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
09-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum wa JazakumAllahu Khairun.

ansar.tajudeen
09-30-2007, 02:28 PM
jazakallah hairun brother ...

may Allah reward u ...

may allah protect us from wrong doings

niler
09-30-2007, 06:54 PM
assalamu aleykum.mashaallah its a very nyc article.
may Allah reward u and make us among those who listen and obey.

Amiiiin inshaallah.

let us pray for all muslims to fulfill their obligations to their parents inshlah

niler
09-30-2007, 06:56 PM
this article brings tears to my eyes considering hw av seen people close to me treat their parents...

Kittygyal
10-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Salamualikum.

Ya Allaah guide us all Amin

.: Jannati :.
10-14-2007, 07:42 AM
:w:

jazak'Allahu khairan ^ & Aameen to the Adiyah

Here are some Articles from the Book 'Honouring the Parents' by Shaykh Nazam Sakîjâ, highlighting the highly elevated status of one's Parents, in Islâm, and their rights over their children
Items in this Category :

Honouring the Parents
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - From the Noble Qur’aan

Honouring the Parents is a Characteristics Excelled in the Prophets
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - From the example of the Prophets

Doing Good to Parents and Honouring them after the Worship of Allaah
Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - The Worship Of Allah comes before the Parents by

Honouring Parents enters Paradise and Disobeying them enters the fire
Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - From obeying and disobeying them, the consequences... by

Allaah is Pleased with pleasing of the Parents and Angry with whom angers them
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - From amongst the major sins is displeasing the Parents

The Prohibition of the Rights of the Parents
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour....

Disobedience to the Parents is from the Major Sins
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - From the Noble Qur’aan & the Authentic Ahaadeeth

Honouring the Parents is Preceeding al-Jihad in the way of Allaah
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - From the serving of the Parents precedes the service on the battle field...for indeed Paradise is at the feet of the mother...

Honouring Parents is from the Righteous Actions which Mankind can Pray to Allaah by it
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - To Please ones parents is from worshipping Allah...

Pleasing the Parents preceeds pleasing the Wife
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - Is that the parents precede ones wife...

Honouring the Mother preceeds that of the Father
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - Is that the Mother has more right of her children's pleasure than the Father..

The Prayer of the Parents is answered directly
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - Is that the Prayers of one's Parents for their offspring are answered...

From Honouring the Parents is behaving kindly to them and if they are disbelievers then praying for their Health and Guidance
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - Is to pray for ones parents and knowing their great virtue...

Reviling and Cursing the Parents is from the Major Sins
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - Is to know that speaking ill of one's parents is of the Greatest of Major Sins...

The Son is from the Property of his Father
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - Is that the Son shows the utmost respect for his father...

Honouring the Parents after their Death
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - Is to Pray for ones Parents forgiveness and entrance into Paradise...

Good on the Parents is giving training to your Children so the Children do righteousness which benefit them after Death
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - Is that the Parents raise their children in a way that is most pleasing to Allah...

Honouring the Parents - Conclusion
by Nazzam Sakkîjâ - From the Manners of Islaam - A Conclusion to this highly important book...

source

Miss Palestine
10-15-2007, 03:13 AM
I love my parentszz! =) nd i never disrespect them Alhamdulilahh!

khairullah
10-18-2007, 03:29 PM
May Allah (swt) bestow mercy on our parents, and make us obey and respect them as we are suppose to.

Ameen !

Ummu Sufyaan
01-20-2009, 09:31 AM
*bump...great reminder!!!

*~~AdAn~~*
01-20-2009, 05:27 PM
jazak Allah for such a beautiful article i love my parents

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.