/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan Questions

Samkurd
09-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey everyone,

With Ramadan coming up VERY shortly i wanted to ask quickly,

What time can i wake up for sahoor? What time does the fast actually start? Does it start at Fajr (4.54) or sunrise (6.30) tomorrow?

Basically what i want to know is, when can i wake up to eat before the fast officially begins in the day?

thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
09-13-2007, 12:20 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Samkurd
What time can i wake up for sahoor? What time does the fast actually start? Does it start at Fajr (4.54) or sunrise (6.30) tomorrow?
It is permissible to eat and drink until the dawn appears, which is the white thread of light that Allaah has made the latest time when it is permissible to eat and drink.

“and eat and drink until the white thread (light) of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night), then complete your Sawm (fast) till the nightfall”

[al-Baqarah 2:187]

So using the timetable you are following, you should aim to stop eating and drinking by about 4:54 am on the first day.

And Allaah knows best!

Samkurd
09-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks Muhammad,

Also...

Is chewing gum allowed while fasting? Because technically your not actually eating anything or ingesting anything only chewing the gum.. is it allowed?

islamirama
09-13-2007, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samkurd
Thanks Muhammad,

Also...

Is chewing gum allowed while fasting? Because technically your not actually eating anything or ingesting anything only chewing the gum.. is it allowed?
Chewing gum in which there is sugar when fasting

Question:
Ive found that the ruling for chewing gum in Ramdhan is not permmissable. I would like to know how this conclusion came about and the all the alternatives I could use if chewing gum is indeed haram during the month of ramadhan.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It seems that the questioner is referring to the kind of chewing gum which is well known nowadays, which is a rubbery substance that usually contains sugar and artificial flavourings. Chewing this kind of gum leads to breaking the fast, because the sugars and flavourings dissolve in the saliva and enter the stomach.

Undoubtedly this breaks one’s fast, because nutrients enter the stomach. But if the gum does not contain any substance that will dissolve and enter the stomach, then it does not break the fast.

With regard to alternatives to chewing gum, if what is meant is something that may be used to improve the smell of the mouth, then the Muslim should use siwaak, because it is one of the Sunnahs narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). He may also rinse his mouth so as to remove the smell, or use toothpaste, subject to the condition that nothing of it reaches his stomach. If he fears that some of it may reach his stomach then he should not use it.

You should also note that this smell that comes out of the mouth because the stomach is empty and which may disturb a person, cannot be removed with the siwaak etc because it comes from the stomach due to fasting. It is better before Allaah than the fragrance of musk. It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The smell of the fasting person’s mouth is better before Allaah than the fragrance of musk.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5583; Muslim, 1151. See also question no. 22913.

But if the purpose of using gum is to treat the jaw by means of moving it, please see question no. 38552.
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.