/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are we allowed to wear clothing with a cross on it?

abbas_ali
09-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Salaam all,

I have a quick, if rather trivial (and possibly trivial) question regarding a belt i was given as a gift which i quite like. It has a cross on it which i suppose is similar to the cross of Christ according to Christianity.

Someone has told me it would be haraam to wear this belt because it symbolizes the cross of Jesus Christ. I, however am unsure due to 2 reasons. Firstly, the cross on the belt is not the same as the Christ cross with the Christ cross having the vertical line and then the horizontal line 3/4's of the way up whereas with the belt its 50/50 if you know what i mean.

Also, i always thought that i know am i a Muslim, i fear Allah so if i wear for example, a skullcap or a turban that wouldn't make me Jewish or Sikh, OK it would be rather stupid but still i would know i am a Muslim - what i feel internal surely defines me as Muslim?

Sorry if i have rambled i have also included a pic of a similar belt. Please try and tell me if it would be haraam to wear this belt as i don't want to wear it if its haraam obviously.

Many thanks,
Jazakallah khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Protected_Diamond
09-13-2007, 07:41 AM
MY initial reaction would be it's haraam because you are still representing christianity even though you may think it's just some material. We are told not to imitate the kafirs so if i were you i would totally refrain from this insha Allah.

guyabano
09-13-2007, 08:18 AM
A cross must not automatically represent Jesus on the cross. In that case, no muslim could do mathematics, because everytime, you add 2 numbers, you do haraam

example: 2+2 =4 . Haraam because of the cross? I think not

Dawud_uk
09-13-2007, 09:13 AM
assalaamu alaykum,

that is definetely a christian cross, it looks simular to the ones used by the crusaders historically and it would be major kufr to wear it.

imaan is what is in the heart, confirmed upon the tongue and then confirmed in your action.

so for example if you wore a cross even if you didnt believe in christianity and you knew what it was then yes you would have committed kufr in that, it is the same if you wore the exclusive symbol of any faith.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*KB*
09-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Assalamualykum Brother abbas_ali!

Marsha'Allah the advice given by the brothers and sisters that have already posted are your answers. I agree with them and to be truthful i don't think that belt looks nice and why wear it when there are so may other great belts to wear!
For Example:

http://www.mainlinemenswear.co.uk/shopimages/products/thumbnails/26%20ss07%20pics16%20072_thumb.jpg :giggling: lol

Insha'Allah you will take notice of what has been said and wear nicer belts.

Assalamualykum
*KB*
Ramadan Mubarak

3ARABY_2005
09-13-2007, 11:51 AM
NO
NO
NO
:sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny:
YOU R NOT ALLOWED TO WEAR THOSE THINGS

IT'S HARAMBROTHER

HARAM

I'M NOT GOOD IN ISLAMIC ENGLISH SO IF U WANT THE FATWA..I CAN POST IT BUT IN ARABIC

JAZAKUMULLAH KHAIR

3ARABY_2005
09-13-2007, 11:52 AM
I FOUND THE FATWA IN ENGLISH

Question:
I ask for a muslim friend who has an necklacependant that looks similar to a cross!! Well, it is the pharaonic key of life and it looks like a circle with a lette "T" attached to it. So it looks somewhat similar to a cross!! Well, I wanted to ask if it was really forbidden, or since it is not a cross itself she shouldn't worry putting that necklace on !.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
Firstly:
It is haraam to wear this necklace, because it is in the form of a Pharaonic key, and it is well known that the Pharaohs were kuffaar, and it is not permissible for the Muslim to wear anything on which there is one of the symbols of the kuffaar or anything that is unique to them. If we add to that the fact that it is in the form of the cross which is worshipped by the Christians, then this is another reason for it definitely being haraam.
It is haraam to use things on which there are crosses. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to alter things on which there were crosses. It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would not leave anything in his house on which there was a cross but he would alter it.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5952.
This is in addition to the fact that wearing this necklace is imitating the kuffaar, which is forbidden in many ahaadeeth and reports, of which the following are the most important:
1 – The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 3512; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani.
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This at the very least indicates that it is haraam to imitate them, although the apparent meaning is that the one who imitates them is a kaafir. Iqtida’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem, 1/237.
2 – It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw ‘Ali wearing two garments dyed with safflower and he said: “These are garments of the kuffaar, do not wear them.” Narrated by Muslim, 2077.
Shaykh Ahmad Shaakir said in his commentary on Musnad Ahmad (10.19): “This hadeeth clearly indicates that it is haraam to imitate the kuffaar in one's dress, one's way of life and one’s appearance. There has been no scholarly difference of opinion on this point from the earliest generations.”
Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Imitating them in outward matters leads to imitating them in attitude and actions, hence we are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar, the Persians and the Bedouin, and both men and women are forbidden to imitate the opposite sex, as it says in the marfoo’ hadeeth: ‘Whoever imitates a people is one of them.’” Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 22/154.
From the above we may conclude that it is not permissible to wear this necklace.
The Standing Committee was asked to issue a fatwa concerning the type of imitation of the kuffaar that is forbidden. They replied:
What is meant by the type of imitation of the kuffaar that is forbidden is imitating them with regard to those things that are unique to them, such as customs and beliefs and acts of worship that they have innovated in religion, such as imitating them by shaving off the beard… and the festivals that they have adopted; and exaggerating about the righteous by seeking their help, circumambulating their graves, offering sacrifices to them; ringing bells; wearing crosses around one’s neck or hanging them up in houses or having a cross tattooed on one's hand…
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 3/429.
They were also asked about a Muslim who wears a cross. They replied:
If he is told of the ruling on wearing a cross and that it is a Christian symbol, and he is told of the evidence that the one who wears it is happy to be regarded as one of them and approves of their ways, and he still persists in that, then he is to be regarded as being a kaafir, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them. Verily, Allaah guides not those people who are the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers and unjust)”
[al-Maa’idah 5:51]
It also implies that one agrees with the Christians and their claim that ‘Eesa (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was killed, but Allaah denies that as He says in His Book (interpretation of the meaning):
“but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but it appeared so to them”
[al-Nisa’ 4:157]
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 2/119
Secondly:
The questioner indicates in his question that there is a relationship between him and that girl, and it seems that this relationship is not one of marriage. This is a haraam relationship that is not approved of in Islam, because it is not permissible for a man to have a relationship with a non-mahram woman, and it is not permissible for a woman to have a relationship with a non-mahram man, because that involves doing things that Allaah has forbidden, such as speaking softly, looking, touching, being alone with a person of the opposite sex or immoral actions, and because it corrupts the heart and spoils one's relationship with Allaah and submission to Him, even if they do not have a haraam physical relationship.
We have discussed this subject in detail. Please see the answer to question no. 20945, 33702 and 47031.

Ibn al-Islam
09-13-2007, 12:24 PM
'Alaykum as-Salam;

Ibn Taymiyyah said ('Iqtida' as-Sirat al-Mustaqim'; 1/237):

"And the least that can be said regarding his situation is that it falls under the prohibition of imitating them (the disbelievers), even though the apparent implication is the disbelief of the one who is imitating them (by wearing the Cross)."

The Lajnah ad-Da'imah (Permanent Council), under the presidency of Shaykh Ibn Baz, said ('Fatawa al-Lajnah ad-Da'imah'; 2/119):

"If the ruling on wearing the Cross is clarified for him, and that it is from the rituals of the Christians, and that wearing it is proof of one's pleasure of being ascribed to them, and it is proof of being pleased with what they are upon, and he insists on wearing it, he is ruled to be a disbeliever, as Allah - the Exalted - Said: {"...and whoever allies himself with them, he is one of them..."} [al-Ma'idah; 51]..."

Also, Shaykh Hamid al-'Ali was asked about this, to which he replied:

"Wearing the Cross is disbelief and apostacy from the religion of Islam, and it is not allowed for a Muslim to wear it, unless he is coerced into doing so under the threat of death, severe beating, etc. - something that he cannot bear. So, he can commit this kufr outwardly, while his heart is secure with faith."

Finally, Shaykh Abu Basir at-Tartusi said:

"The imitation of the disbelievers that expells its doer from Islam is the imitation that reaches the level of kufr, and being pleased with kufr, such as imitating them by wearing the Cross, and what is similar. So, this is a type of imitation that constitutes kufr, and it expells its doer from Islam..."

And Allah Knows best.

MTAFFI
09-13-2007, 01:08 PM
I have a tattoo of a cross on my back, I had it done when I was 18..... Is this bad? If so what am I to do about it now? Also what does Islam say about tattoos? I was thinking of having the Muslim symbol tattooed on the other side if I should decide to revert

sevgi
09-13-2007, 01:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
I have a tattoo of a cross on my back, I had it done when I was 18..... Is this bad? If so what am I to do about it now? Also what does Islam say about tattoos? I was thinking of having the Muslim symbol tattooed on the other side if I should decide to revert
u thinkn of reverting?

if yes...

revert then ask...

anything u ask if u are on the verge of reverting will be played will by sheytan to sound bad to u and try to use it against ur decision...

bt im not sure on tats...i know that it doesnt allow ablution water to pass thru...but u didnt get it wen u were muslim...Allah is all merciful...i dno...

peace.

ahsan28
09-13-2007, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
that is definetely a christian cross, it looks simular to the ones used by the crusaders historically and it would be major kufr to wear it.

:D Same fatwa

ahsan28
09-13-2007, 01:51 PM
I have a tattoo of a cross on my back, I was thinking of having the Muslim symbol tattooed on the other side if I should decide to revert

No, thats not allowed dear, since we have clear orders from our prophet (pbuh). According to the most reliable book of the sayings of the prophet(pbuh)

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Yazid Al-Ansari: "The Prophet forbade robbery (taking away what belongs to others without their permission), and also forbade mutilation (or maiming) of bodies. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Oppressions, Volume 3, Book 43, Number 654)"

Narrated Abu Huraira: "Allah's Apostle said, 'The evil eye is a fact,' and he forbade tattooing. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 827)"

Narrated 'Aun bin Abu Juhaifa: "My father bought a slave who practiced the profession of cupping. (My father broke the slave's instruments of cupping). I asked my father why he had done so. He replied, 'The Prophet forbade the acceptance of the price of a dog or blood, and also forbade the profession of tattooing, getting tattooed and receiving or giving Riba, (usury), and cursed the picture-makers.' (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Sales and Trade, Volume 3, Book 34, Number 299)"

Narrated 'Abdullah: "Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and those who remove their face hairs, and those who create a space between their teeth artificially to look beautiful, and such women as change the features created by Allah. Why then should I not curse those whom the Prophet has cursed? And that is in Allah's Book. i.e. His Saying: 'And what the Apostle gives you take it and what he forbids you abstain (from it).' (59.7) (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 815)"

Therefore, its not allowed in Islam :D

Md Mashud
09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
A cross must not automatically represent Jesus on the cross. In that case, no muslim could do mathematics, because everytime, you add 2 numbers, you do haraam

example: 2+2 =4 . Haraam because of the cross? I think not
Depends of the cross. If the cross was made with symbolic meaning - then no its not allowed.

Looking at that, I don't know if that is meant to represent the cross - as of the crucifixion. If so, you shouldn't wear it. If its just a pattern/design, theirs nothing wrong with it.

MTAFFI
09-13-2007, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28
No, thats not allowed dear, since we have clear orders from our prophet (pbuh). According to the most reliable book of the sayings of the prophet(pbuh)

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Yazid Al-Ansari: "The Prophet forbade robbery (taking away what belongs to others without their permission), and also forbade mutilation (or maiming) of bodies. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Oppressions, Volume 3, Book 43, Number 654)"

Narrated Abu Huraira: "Allah's Apostle said, 'The evil eye is a fact,' and he forbade tattooing. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 827)"

Narrated 'Aun bin Abu Juhaifa: "My father bought a slave who practiced the profession of cupping. (My father broke the slave's instruments of cupping). I asked my father why he had done so. He replied, 'The Prophet forbade the acceptance of the price of a dog or blood, and also forbade the profession of tattooing, getting tattooed and receiving or giving Riba, (usury), and cursed the picture-makers.' (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Sales and Trade, Volume 3, Book 34, Number 299)"

Narrated 'Abdullah: "Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and those who remove their face hairs, and those who create a space between their teeth artificially to look beautiful, and such women as change the features created by Allah. Why then should I not curse those whom the Prophet has cursed? And that is in Allah's Book. i.e. His Saying: 'And what the Apostle gives you take it and what he forbids you abstain (from it).' (59.7) (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 815)"

Therefore, its not allowed in Islam :D
well great, what is someone supposed to do about it afterwards then?

Abdul-Raouf
09-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Do not imitate non-muslim's religious belief....

If some stranger sees u when u were imitatin... and if he assumes u were from that faith(one which u r imitain).... its bad...

show to the world that u are a muslim.. wit ur body language - how u look to others ....

Dawud_uk
09-13-2007, 02:21 PM
dont worry about it, it was before you came to islam, what sins you commit before you come into islam are all wiped away, you start clean and as sinless of a baby (and you've been on here long enough to know muslims believe we are all born sinless not sinful like christians).

if you could get enough cash together to remove it later then do so but dont worry about it and let it stop you becomming muslim.

peace,
Abu Abdullah

- Qatada -
09-13-2007, 02:30 PM

Question:
My question is regarding tattoos. My husband and I are both new Muslim converts. We are both Americans and lived a typical American lifestyle before reverting.

My problem is that my husband and I have extensive tattoo work done on our bodies. We would like one day to go to Hajj, in sha’ Allah. But, my husband is concerned that his extensive tattoos will cause him problems.

Due to the extensive nature of his tattoos, it would be so expensive to remove them that we don’t have removal as an option at this time. Also, that would maybe leave extensive scarring as well.

Shouldn’t we perform Hajj? As a female I do not have this worry since I am now covering, but my husband still has to worry about his arms and chest showing.

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, thank you very much for having confidence in us, and we implore Allah-from the depth of our hearts- to guide you along the path of truth and righteousness.

It is really a chance to congratulate you and your husband for becoming Muslims, and we hope you understand the tolerant teachings of Islam, whom Allah chooses to guide the baffled humanity to the safe shore.

Before answering your question, we would like first to ascertain that Islam has a solution for every problem, and the scope of the Shari`ah is not that stern as some may claim. Although tattoos are unlawful or haram to apply at first place, there is nothing wrong for new Muslim converts, who have no means to remove them, in leaving them. The tolerant teachings of Islam and its peaceful spirit makes it easy for new converts to become easily adapted to its unique environment, and matchless life style.

In short, a new Muslim convert cannot be casted out of Islam, after recently embracing it, for having no means to remove tattoos applied during his pre-Islamic life.

In his response to the question, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former president of the Islamic Society of North America, states the following:

“First of all, I would like to stress the fact that it is haram [forbidden] to have tattoos on the body. However, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said, “Islam takes away the sins done before it.”

Thus, if these tattoos cannot be removed easily or if you have to spend a lot of money to remove them, then you should not worry about them.

When Hajj becomes obligatory on you, you should perform it and do not neglect it because of tattoos on your body. No one should stop you from going to Hajj because of tattoos. I have seen hundreds of pilgrims, men and women, who come from some countries and they have all kinds of tattoos on their faces and bodies. It is forbidden in Islam, but among some tribes in Africa, unfortunately, it is still practiced, even among Muslims.”

You can also read:

What Islam Says on Tattoos

Is Body Piercing Permissible in Islam?

If you have any further comments, please don’t hesitate to write back!

May Allah guide you to the straight path, and guide you to that which pleases Him, Amen.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...EAskTheScholar

Woodrow
09-13-2007, 02:34 PM
:w:

Personally I would be reluctant to wear that cross. It is the same as the Cross worn by the "Knights Templar" during the crusades and is the same as the medal given for loyalty to the Crown with the "Iron Cross" medal and is also the same as the cross on many of the Nazi Campaign medals.

That cross has quite a history in Christianity, Paganism and the Nazi party.

Check these links and decide for yourself what it means to wear it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight's_Cross_of_the_Iron_Cross

http://www.flamewear.com/store/image...ls%20decal.jpg

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/iron...ncrossmain.htm

MTAFFI
09-13-2007, 02:54 PM
sumeyye, ahsan28, dawud_uk and Qatada

Thank all of you for your responses, as always very helpful :)

NoName55
09-14-2007, 08:56 AM
edit :zip:

snakelegs
09-14-2007, 09:18 AM
even i wouldn't wear a cross!

abbas_ali
09-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Ok thank you brothers and sisters for our informative replies. I have decided not to wear the belt and i now conclude that its vry likely it i haraam.

Jazakallah khair for everyone's messages.

NoName55
09-14-2007, 12:19 PM
edit :zip:

anonymous
09-18-2007, 10:32 PM
i dont think its a cross.

jb17
09-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Well I have football jerseys with crosses on them (the England & Portugal ones) but I don't think I wear those to represent Christianity. We believed in Jesus as well, I don't see the problem with it, but as for your belt.. I'd ditch it just because I didn't like it!

Grace Seeker
10-04-2007, 11:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
assalaamu alaykum,

imaan is what is in the heart, confirmed upon the tongue and then confirmed in your action.

so for example if you wore a cross even if you didnt believe in christianity and you knew what it was then yes you would have committed kufr in that, it is the same if you wore the exclusive symbol of any faith.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

I looked at the pciture and to me, a Christian, it did not immediately make me think of the Cross of Jesus. To me, it appeared to be just so much design. Indeed, I don't see much difference between it, and this [IMG]ceiling of a mosque[/IMG] that if you look also has a "cross" design at its center. And here are more examples of "Islamic" art that shows similar designs: The Wall of Persia, Islamic Caligraphy, Mosque and Shrine of Prophet Yahya.

Now, I don't see anything that makes me think of the Cross of Christ in any of these photos, but I do see designs with Xs and +s that remind me of your belt buckle.

But that isn't really the question for you. First, there have been many different forms that have been interpreted as "the Cross" of Christ over the centuries. Today the most common would be that which has the cross-bar 1/4 from the top. But in other time periods it looked like an simple plus sign (+). Others are designed to resemble fishhooks or anchors. So, the question isn't about whether it is or isn't a Cross, but what do you see. If to you it reminds you of the Cross of Christ and you don't want to associate yourself with it, then you ought not to wear it even if it were shaped like pear. On the other hand, if all you see is two lines that cross each other, and not "the Cross", then it is just two intersecting lines and nothing more. I think you need to pay attention to your own interpretation of it, because you will project to others what it means to you. Can you wear it without questions in your own heart, your own imam? Then do so. And if you cannot, then no matter what it is or isn't, then you should not.

Isambard
10-05-2007, 02:01 AM
Its just some random design. Similar to the barbed wire tatoo some ppl wear then looks deep but is in reality meaningless.

It may not be haraam but I personally think its just cliche and ugly :P

snakelegs
10-05-2007, 02:23 AM
he has already decided not to wear it and i think that's a good decision.

format_quote Originally Posted by abbas_ali
Ok thank you brothers and sisters for our informative replies. I have decided not to wear the belt and i now conclude that its vry likely it i haraam.

Jazakallah khair for everyone's messages.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.