/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to own a tobacco store

fahmeena
09-13-2007, 01:10 PM
My friend is planning on having a tobacco store. he thinks the profit margin is really high. I say just the fact that he is supplying tobacco is wrong regardless of the profit margin. Please help me find some facts on this topic. Is it Islamically wrong to supply tobacco to consumers? Shouldnt a person feel guilty because someone died or had cancer because it was them that was supplying it to the consumer?

Any suggestions on comments would be very helpful. I know its morally wrong but what does Islam say about it? Facts would be great as well.

Thanks and Ramadan Mabrook to everyone!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
fahmeena
09-13-2007, 04:45 PM
If any one knows a good hadith or verse from the Qur'an on this topic, that would be great as well.

Thanks
Fahmeena

S_87
09-13-2007, 04:48 PM
:sl:

well i hope these help

It is not permissible to grow tobacco, or to sell it or use it, because it is haraam for several reasons, because it is very harmful to the health, because it is filthy and evil (khabeeth), and because there is no benefit in it. Muslims have to give it up and keep away from it, and not grow it or deal in it, because when Allaah forbids a thing, He forbids its price. And Allaah knows best.
Smoking is haraam, growing tobacco is haraam, and dealing in it is haraam, because of the great harm which it causes. It was narrated in the hadeeth; “There should be no causing harm or reciprocating harm. Smoking is also one of al-khabaa’ith [evil things]. Allaah described the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) as (interpretation of the meaning): “… he allows them as lawful al-Tayyibaat [all good and lawful things] and prohibits them as unlawful al-Khabaa’ith [all evil and unlawful things]…” [al-A’raaf 7:157]

And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They ask you what is lawful for them. Say: ‘Lawful unto you are al-tayyibaat…” [al-Maa’idah 5:4]
both from islamqa

nevesirth
09-13-2007, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
:sl:

well i hope these help

both from islamqa
:sl: well said ukti, i just quit smoking two months ago cuz i realised its of no use, its harmful to the health. i believe smoking tobacco is like slow suicide, what good is there in suicide. so selling tobacco can be seen as promoting or aiding suicide. its just my personal opinion, i might be wrong though.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
fahmeena
09-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Thank you so much guys. You guys are awesome. This helps a lot. I will keep up with my search to get some more facts before i present it to my dear friend. Until then, if you guys come up with something then keep it coming. The more the better.

Jazakullah Khair.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.