/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reading Quran during Taraweeh?

Lone
09-13-2007, 01:51 PM
:sl: to all my fellow Brothers and Sisters and Ramadhan mubarak,

I have a question regarding Taraweeh prayer. Last year during the prayers I observed one brother who had a pocket Quran with him, and read the Quran whilst in Salah, together with the Imam. I thought this is something I would like to do myself during this years Taraweeh prayers, so I went to my local Islamic bookshop and purchased a pocket Quran. However, when I discussed this issue with the bookshop owner, he seemed weary, saying that it varies, some Scholars say it is permissable whilst others say it is not to be allowed.

So I ask you for some guidance on this issue, is it OK for me to read the Quran during the Taraweeh prayer, following the words of the Imam on the page?

jazakallah

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mpls_Muslim
09-13-2007, 03:44 PM
:sl: brother, this is a very good question, I too wonder this and will watch for an answer, thank you for the question.

WaSalam

Abdulah

------
09-13-2007, 03:47 PM
:salamext:

Where would you put the Qur'an when going into Ruku/Sajdah?

09-13-2007, 03:51 PM
As far as i know it is permissable to do so except in the fard prayers...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Medina83
09-13-2007, 04:13 PM

The lady next to me was doing this in tarawih in the mesjid last night, and during ruku she held it in her right hand at her knee and during sajdah she put it on the floor then picked it back up when the time came to stand again.

interesting, i was thinking i would love to do it but as i cannot understand arabic i wouldnt be able to follow it anyway :hmm:

nevermind, inshaAllah we all learn and are rewarded :sunny:

Lone
09-13-2007, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

Where would you put the Qur'an when going into Ruku/Sajdah?
:sl:

I suppose hold it in your right hand, whilst placing it directly in front of you when going into Sujood.

Or, if you have a pocket on your chest, place it in there, and when you get back up take it out again.

Lone
09-13-2007, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Medina83
interesting, i was thinking i would love to do it but as i cannot understand arabic i wouldnt be able to follow it anyway :hmm:

nevermind, inshaAllah we all learn and are rewarded :sunny:

That's another point I did not consider, does an individual need to understand Arabic to be allowed to read whilst in prayer? I assumed it would not be a prerequisite, but now I'm not so sure.

m102313
09-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Many people wear hoody tops, with pockets on front, so when they go into sujood and ruku, they quickly bookmark (with string or something) and put it in thier pocket.

BlackMamba
09-13-2007, 10:49 PM
People don't do it to correct the imam, there are usually huffaz in the front line. They do it to follow along so they know what surah is being recited and if you have a translation , then you can see the meaning. It makes the salah much more enjoyable to know all of that.

Na7lah
09-13-2007, 10:53 PM
i've seen alot of people doing it in our masjid
last night
but i think it's ok

north_malaysian
09-14-2007, 07:52 AM
I think it's ok too...

It's easier for us Malaysians to keep the Qur'an when we are prostrating as our national dress "baju Melayu" (which we normally wear in prayers) has three pockets on our shirt..:giggling:

Lone
09-14-2007, 01:42 PM

I spoke to my Imam last night after Taraweeh prayer and asked him regarding this issue. He told me this is not recommended, as the focus should be on listening during to the words being recited rather then reading it. So I think that settles it for me.

Many thanks to all the brother and sisters wgho replied to this thread, Jazakallah. :)

- Qatada -
09-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Person praying behind the imam holding the Mushaf during Taraweeh prayers

سؤال :

Is it permissible for the person who is praying behind the imam in Taraweeh prayers to hold the Mushaf [copy of Qur'an]?.

الجواب :

Praise be to Allaah.

It is better for him not to do that, and to listen attentively to the recitation of his imam.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: What is the ruling on the person praying behind the imam holding the Mushaf during Taraweeh prayers?

He replied:

I do not know of any basis for that. It seems that he should focus with proper humility and not hold the Mushaf, rather he should place his right hand over his left as is the Sunnah, placing the right hand over the left wrist and forearm and placing them over his chest. This is the most correct view and is best. Holding the Mushaf will distract him from these Sunnahs, and his heart and eyes may become busy following the words on the pages and that may distract him from listening to the imam. What I think is that not doing that is the Sunnah, and that he should listen attentively and not use the Mushaf. If he has knowledge he will be able to prompt his imam, otherwise others will prompt him. Then if it so happens that the imam makes a mistake and is not corrected, that does not matter, unless it is in Soorat al-Faatihah, rather it matters only in Soorat al-Faatihah, because al-Faatihah is a pillar of the prayer which is essential. But if he omits some verses other than al-Faatihah, that does not matter if there is no one behind him who can alert him to that. If someone holds the Mushaf to correct the imam in the case of necessity, then there is nothing wrong with that. But if each person holds a Mushaf, that is contrary to the Sunnah. End quote.

He was also asked (may Allaah have mercy on him):

Some members of the congregation follow the imam’s recitation in the Mushaf when he is reciting. Is there anything wrong with that?

He replied:

It seems to me that this should not be done. It is better to concentrate and focus on the prayer, and to place the hands on the chest and ponder what the imam is reciting, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So, when the Qur’aan is recited, listen to it, and be silent that you may receive mercy”
[al-A’raaf 7:204]

“Successful indeed are the believers.

2. Those who offer their Salaah (prayers) with all solemnity and full submissiveness”
[al-Mu’minoon 23:1]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The imam has been appointed to be followed, so when he says takbeer, then say takbeer, and when he recites, then listen attentively.” End quote.
Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 11/340-342

See also the answer to question no. 10067.
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islamqa.com/ramadan/?q=eng/ref/52876

------
09-15-2007, 02:13 PM

Jazaak Allaah Khayr for that input brother Qatada!

- Qatada -
09-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Holding the Mus-haf for one who is following an imaam is contrary to the Sunnah

Question:

What is the ruling on holding the Mus-haf in the case of one who is following an imaam in praying Taraaweeh in Ramadan, on the grounds that he is following the imaam’s recitation?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Holding the Mus-haf for this reason is contrary to the Sunnah, for several reasons:

1. It prevents a person from placing his right hand over his left when standing.

2. It leads to a lot of unnecessary movements, such as opening the Mus-haf, closing it, and placing it under one's arm.

3. These movements are very distracting to the worshipper.

4. It prevents the worshipper from looking at the place of sujood. Many scholars say that looking at the place of sujood is Sunnah and is better.

5. The one who does that may forget that he is in prayer, unless his heart is properly focused upon his being in prayer, unlike when he is standing in a humble and focused manner with his right hand upon his left, tilting his head towards the place of sujood. In this case he will be more likely to remember that he is praying and that he is behind the imaam.

From the fatwas of Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen for al-Da’wah magazine, issue # 1771, p. 45

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&QR=10067

Na7lah
09-15-2007, 06:49 PM

jazakallah khair brother that explains it :)

Lone
09-16-2007, 05:26 PM
:s:

Jazakallah for that explanation Qatada. I was actually evenmore confused yesterday since I spoke to a Shaikh at my masjid asking him the same question, contrary to what the Imam told me he said it is OK for one to hold the Quran, as it may help an individual concentrate on the prayer. So this seems to be a highly subjective issue.

However, I guess it comes down ultimately to Sunnah, and if it is contradicting Sunnah it is perhaps best not to do so.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.