/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Post your FOOD pics on Ramadhan 2007

syilla
09-14-2007, 01:20 AM
:salamext:

Continuation from this tread.
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...food-pics.html

InshaAllah this thread will remind us of those who unfortunate. May we be thankful of what we have and don't forget to do sadaqah. InshaAllah.

Now officially you can start posting ....lol :happy:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
09-14-2007, 02:09 AM

I had this today..
and this for desert

even though I have allergies to strawberries.. I took precaution before hand.. =) what about you?

syilla
09-14-2007, 03:31 AM
i had this

tau fu fa... (soya beancurd filled with natural sugar sweetness)

and this

coconut poppers. you can find the recipe here

جوري
09-14-2007, 03:51 AM
Is this dish popular in Malaysia? I have never heard of it... this you've had for desert or to break fast? they both seem to be sweet dishes =)
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
09-14-2007, 04:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
i had this

tau fu fa... (soya beancurd filled with natural sugar sweetness)
I love Taufufah... in Penang we call it "Tow Chooi"

But less sugar.... I hate it when it's ultra-sweet..

syilla
09-14-2007, 04:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Is this dish popular in Malaysia? I have never heard of it... this you've had for desert or to break fast? they both seem to be sweet dishes =)
yeah...its popular. But is not that sweet cause both doesn't use sugar :D We use natural sugar from palm tree.

something like this

That is why the colour is kinda dark (black)

north_malaysian
09-14-2007, 04:09 AM
Taufufah is very famous in Malaysia. It's a southern chinese dessert. You can find Halal Taufufah in every single town in Malaysia, especially in Nightmarkets or Ramadhan Bazaars.

People usually have Taufufah in the evening.

north_malaysian
09-14-2007, 04:14 AM
yeah...its popular. But is not that sweet cause both doesn't use sugar :D We use natural sugar from palm tree.

something like this

That is why the colour is kinda dark (black)
Actually there are two options, the dark ones is made from palm sugar and the white ones is made from the usual sugar.

In Penang, they'll ask you... "hitam" (black) or "putih" (white), and they'll scoop the soya beancurd freshly from the bucket.

In KL, the taufufah is already being put in the tupperwares and I've seen they put both "hitam" and "putih".

جوري
09-14-2007, 04:21 AM
Sob7an Allah.. how vaired are foods across the globe.. I have tried several ethnic foods.. sadly I can never tell what I am eating or even how to pronounce it unless accompanied by a friend from that region to explain it all..
I liked this indian hors d'oeuvre my friend introduced me too.. it has chick peas and crackers and white sauce very tangy and really yummy... I don't remember its name sadly =( If someone has any idea what it is and its recipe I'd be grateful ( not that I ever cook anyway) but it would be nice to look at it and swoon :p

Woodrow
09-14-2007, 04:25 AM
My Daughter should return from Dallas in a week or so. I am saving all of these pics to show her what to cook.

The Taufufah looks fabulous. I also believe my limited diet will permit me having it. Very little solid foods I can eat any more.

In searching for a recipe for Taufufah, I found this site. I believe that is all in Urdu. some of the words look familiar. My Daughter is fluent in Urdu, so I'll let her worry about it.

http://www.alaf21.com.my/buletin_isn..._masakan10.htm

A few pictures of good stuff from that site. I may not be able to eat most of them, but I can enjoy the pictures.

north_malaysian
09-14-2007, 04:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
In searching for a recipe for Taufufah, I found this site. I believe that is all in Urdu. some of the words look familiar. My Daughter is fluent in Urdu, so I'll let her worry about it.

http://www.alaf21.com.my/buletin_isn..._masakan10.htm
It's in Malay language...:D

syilla
09-14-2007, 04:34 AM
Woodrow the first picture is Samosa it is from middle east. You can find the recipe in the cookery club thread.

the second one is karipap (from the name curry puff). The filling can be sardine, potatoes, thick chicken curry or etc. But you have to fry it. Kinda oily though :D

i think the 3rd one is rice with side dishes. Roasted chicken and mixed fried vegetables (I've the recipe...is very easy) Most Malaysian food is fried something something... lol :D

Woodrow
09-14-2007, 04:44 AM
Woodrow the first pictures are Samosa it is from middle east. You can find the recipe in the cookery club thread.

the second one is karipap (from the name curry puff). The filling can be sardine, potatoes, thick chicken curry or etc. But you have to fry it. Kinda oily though :D
The Samosa's are what made me think the site was in Urdu, although transliterated into the English Alphabet. My daughter makes them often. They were one of the few things I recognized. LOL

Can you guess I speak neither Urdu nor Malay.:happy:

Oddly all my Daughter and her family speak at home is Urdu, and even after living with them over a year, I still have not picked any of it up. But, I do know the important words Like Samosa, Kemah and Bryani.

syilla
09-14-2007, 04:46 AM
The Samosa's are what made me think the site was in Urdu, although transliterated into the English Alphabet. My daughter makes them often. They were one of the few things I recognized. LOL

Can you guess I speak neither Urdu nor Malay.:happy:

Oddly all my Daughter and her family speak at home is Urdu, and even after living with them over a year, I still have not picked any of it up. But, I do know the important words Like Samosa, Kemah and Bryani.
Can't wait to see your daughter's home made food :happy:

north_malaysian
09-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Taufufah recipe from http://sofieyya.wordpress.com/2006/0...-buat-sendiri/

maybe syilla can translate it to you as I'm going for Friday prayer.

Woodrow
09-14-2007, 05:05 AM
I just realized that although I will not have any pictures of home made food I can post some traditional Ramadan Food pictures from various countries I have lived in.

My favorite will always be Morocco:

Honey dipped Briouates stuffed with Almond Paste

MINT TEA the national pastime of Morocco

Tagine, also spelled tajine, is an historically Berber dish. It is a stew made of meats and vegetables and traditionally cooked in a conical clay pot to allow the steam to rise, condense and drip back down to the stew. Tagines are traditionally prepared on top of a portable clay majmar (much cheaper than a stove!) under which people put hot coals. Practically anything can be turned into a tajine: meat, chicken, fish, vegetables and some even make it with meat and fruits. Some typical tagine dishes include lamb with dates, lamb with raisins or prunes and almonds, chicken with olives and preserved lemon, chicken with dried apricots, and meatballs (or ketfa) with tomatoes and eggs. Of course, there exist more varieties than this. Every part of the country has its regional tagine dish and different ways of preparing it. Because this meal takes a long time to prepare, the woman of the house starts preparing the lunch tagine as soon as breakfast is over.

syilla
09-14-2007, 05:07 AM
MashaAllah that looks yummy.

I think i'm going to search the Briouates recipe ...:D

InshaAllah tonight i'll take pics of what i'm eating during iftaar...

Woodrow
09-14-2007, 05:23 AM
MashaAllah that looks yummy.

I think i'm going to search the Briouates recipe ...:D

InshaAllah tonight i'll take pics of what i'm eating during iftaar...
Here it is. I loved them in Morocco.

Link Removed

Abdul-Raouf
09-14-2007, 05:37 AM
Hey No one cant beat the Indian Foods.... Loads of Variety..

syilla
09-14-2007, 05:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Hey No one cant beat the Indian Foods.... Loads of Variety..
don't forget to post your home made pics :happy:

Abdul-Raouf
09-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Didn take the pic. of the home made foods... but here are the exact pics of wat i ate this mornin.......

Rice:

Kathirkai(Brinjal) kara kulambu :

Its spicy

Egg :

(pic not avail)..

Put Egg + lil salt + redchilly in a pan and stirr until it gets thick and broken into pieces.

Appalam(pappadam):

Its like chips..

How to eat : Pour some brinjal kulambu in rice... mix and eat...wit egg and appalam

syilla
09-14-2007, 06:19 AM
We have papadam too in Malaysia

Tania
09-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Didn take the pic. of the home made foods... but here are the exact pics of wat i ate this mornin.......
You cooked a lot in the morning :-[ Or did you made them last night and now you only warmed them up :? :)

syilla
09-14-2007, 06:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
You cooked a lot in the morning :-[ Or did you made them last night and now you only warmed them up :? :)
Actually the way they eat is to put the curry 4-5 teaspon with a few pieces of chicken and put in on the plate of rice.

Rice is the main dish...others are side dishes. :happy:

Abdul-Raouf
09-14-2007, 06:35 AM
meeee.. na.... i dont... my mom usually cooks....but she will be tired..

we managed to get a cook for this month alone she comes and cooks the food

by night..... then we microwave it in the mornin and eat...

Abdul-Raouf
09-14-2007, 06:47 AM
When i was a kid i used to take the whole (same as one piece from belo)... and eat it for many hours..... I lick it and eat ... Yummy

Tania
09-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Actually the way they eat is to put the curry 4-5 teaspon with a few pieces of chicken and put in on the plate of rice.

Rice is the main dish...others are side dishes. :happy:
tasty side dishes because to be honest i would not eat the rice alone. And the pappadam are potato chips :?

north_malaysian
09-14-2007, 06:57 AM
tasty side dishes because to be honest i would not eat the rice alone. And the pappadam are potato chips :?
I dont know from what Pappadam is made of.. but for sure, it's not from potatoes....

I love papaddam too.... Crunchy!!!

Abdul-Raouf
09-14-2007, 06:59 AM
^^^ Yup crunchy ... and a superb combination

north_malaysian
09-14-2007, 07:15 AM
^^^ Yup crunchy ... and a superb combination
:D ... from what it's made of?

Woodrow
09-14-2007, 07:16 AM
More traditional Moroccan:

harira

Harira is the thick, lemony, spicy soup which is often eaten in Morocco to break the day-long fast during Ramadan. There are endless different recipes for it, but almost all include lamb, lentils, tomato, lemon and spices, and many also use chick peas, saffron and vermicelli.

Source and Recipe: http://www.woolfit.com/harira.html

I do not have a picture of this. Keep in mind the Berbers in Morocco often eat as an entire Tribe or Village. So this is not as big as it seems. It is not unusual for several hundred people to eat together. I had this once in Meknes. It is actually very good and the way it is served is very impressive.

Although I can not find a picture of the whole thing. The typical serving looks like this:

Whole Stuffed Camel

Serves a friendly crowd of 80-100

1 whole camel, medium size
1 whole lamb, large size
20 whole chickens, medium size
60 eggs
12 kg rice
2 kg pine nuts
2 kg almonds
1 kg pistachio nut
110 gallons water
5 lbs black pepper
salt

1. Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken.
2. Boil until tender.
3. Cook rice until fluffy.
4. Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice.
5. Hard boil eggs and peel.
6. Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice.
7. Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens.
8. Add more rice.
9. Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice.
10. Broil over large charcoal pit until brown.
11. Spread any remaining rice on large tray and place camel on top of rice.
12. Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts.

syilla
09-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Whole stuffed camel? :confused:

Abdul-Raouf
09-14-2007, 07:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
:D ... from what it's made of?
Made from Rice mostly...

some times from Gram flour

north_malaysian
09-14-2007, 07:37 AM

Whole Stuffed Camel

Serves a friendly crowd of 80-100

1 whole camel, medium size
1 whole lamb, large size
20 whole chickens, medium size
60 eggs
12 kg rice
2 kg pine nuts
2 kg almonds
1 kg pistachio nut
110 gallons water
5 lbs black pepper
salt

1. Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken.
2. Boil until tender.
3. Cook rice until fluffy.
4. Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice.
5. Hard boil eggs and peel.
6. Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice.
7. Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens.
8. Add more rice.
9. Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice.
10. Broil over large charcoal pit until brown.
11. Spread any remaining rice on large tray and place camel on top of rice.
12. Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts.
60 hard boiled eggs into those chickens
|
|
|
V
those stuffed chicken into a lamb
|
|
|
V
the stuffed lamb into a camel.

WEIRD.....:muddlehea but I think it's kinda tasty

Maybe I'll make a lil change for this recipe... I'll put those stuffed camels in a whale... and voila!!! ---> Whole Stuffed Whale :okay:

Woodrow
09-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Whole stuffed camel? :confused:
Very traditional among the Berbers. Keep in mind they will eat as an entire village and it is only enough for one meal. It is usually served once during Ramadan. It is also traditional at weddings. The Berbers are quite interesting and very loving people. I had a very dear Berber friend in Morocco. That is were I first became aware of the truly peaceful nature of Muslims.

rozeena
09-14-2007, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=Woodrow;828820]I just realized that although I will not have any pictures of home made food I can post some traditional Ramadan Food pictures from various countries I have lived in.

My favorite will always be Morocco:

Honey dipped Briouates stuffed with Almond Paste

yummy! i had dat honey dipped briouates stuffed with alomond paste last week in a persian restaurant. i didnt knw wt it was called so wen i was tellin my m8s i sed it was like a samosa lol! but yeh its deliciously sweet.

Tania
09-14-2007, 10:36 AM
But how does look the pot in which they can boil a camel :?:confused:

rozeena
09-14-2007, 11:51 AM
But how does look the pot in which they can boil a camel :?:confused:
lol! good question

Woodrow
09-14-2007, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rozeena
lol! good question
I believe that is a fairly new idea. When I had that in Meknes the Camel was not boiled first. It was just roaster over hot coals for about 3 days. I recall that it took nearly a week for them to prepare it.

rozeena
09-14-2007, 02:49 PM
I believe that is a fairly new idea. When I had that in Meknes the Camel was not boiled first. It was just roaster over hot coals for about 3 days. I recall that it took nearly a week for them to prepare it.
thats really cool and i suppose it mus be exciting waiting 3 days to eat it together with other ppl from the village. Sounds fun reali, i wonder y we dnt do dt in uk. but wid a cow or sumfin lol

Al-Zaara
09-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Selam aleykum,

Taufufah - Looks just sooo good! I want to Malaysia!! :offended:

Well this is not a dish... But it's small, soft & sweet. I personally can never get enough of it. lol

Lokum - Turkish delight

ahsan28
09-14-2007, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=rozeena;828927]
i sed it was like a samosa lol!
No one would accept the other name except calling them sweet samosas, at the best :D

Woodrow
09-14-2007, 03:14 PM
They are doing a South Louisiana Cajun dish that is the same idea but it is Turkey, Duck and Chicken. It is called a Tur-Duc-hen or turducken. I just realized that could be a great ramadan dish if halal ingrediants are found.

Source: http://www.cajungrocer.com/turducken...aya-p-390.html

Of course you can make your own from scratch and stuff it any way you please.

The following recipe calls for Andouille sausage which is haram. But, That can be left out and double either the sea food or the cornbread dressings.

It’s a lot of fun to let your guests think you’re serving them a regular holiday turkey. When you start to carve the “turkey,” they’ll be quite surprised to see you cut through its “bones!”

Since the Turducken takes about 8 hours to cook (and then it needs to cool at least 1 hour before it’s carved), you will need to plan your time wisely. First, be sure your oven temperature control is accurate by using (or purchasing) an inexpensive oven thermometer to monitor the oven’s temperature instead of relying on the oven temperature control. Otherwise, your Turducken may take considerably less or more time than you have planned.

The quickest way to prepare your Turducken is to get friends or family members to help make the dressings and de-bone the fowl. (If you’re on your own, you will need to allow more time for preparation of the Turducken). We get letters every year from “Turducken Teams” – friends and relatives who gather together to make (and eat!) their Turduckens as a group activity! It might be fun to take pictures along the way so that you can look back and have “Turducken” memories year-round!

It’s also nice to serve additional dressing in bowls at the table, so our dressing recipe will make about 8 cups extra of each dressing. If you do not want to serve extra dressing with your Turducken, you can cut each dressing recipe in half.

If you’re inexperienced at de-boning fowl, start with the turkey; because of its size, you can more easily see the bone structure. After de-boning the turkey, the duck and chicken will go much faster. And remember, each time you do a Turducken it gets easier; it doesn’t take magical cooking abilities, it just takes care. What is magical is the way people eating your Turducken will feel about your food!

1 (15 to 20 pound) turkey

1 (5 to 6 pound) domestic duckling

1 (3 to 4 pound) chicken

Andouille Sausage Dressing (recipe follows)

Cornbread Dressing (recipe follows)

Shrimp Dressing (recipe follows)

Sweet Potato Eggplant Gravy (recipe follows)

1 (15 x 11-inch) ungreased baking pan, at least 2½” deep

6 sheet pans

3 metal or bamboo skewers

1 pan, larger than the 15 x 11-inch pan, that the smaller pan will fit inside with room to spare (NOTE: The 15 x 11-inch pan size is ideal because the Turducken fits snugly in the pan and stays in the proper shape while cooking.)

1 small hammer

STEPS FOR MAKING THE TURDUCKEN

An Important Note About Refrigeration: As you complete the steps for making the Turducken, you will be refrigerating the fowl and dressings. It is very important to keep the meats as cold as possible before preparing them, and to chill all the finished items as quickly as possible after preparing. The best way to accomplish this is to spread the prepared items (or lay them flat in the case of the de-boned fowl) on a sheet pan and place them in the coldest part of your refrigerator. While the items are chilling, keep the refrigerator door closed as much as possible.
STEPS TO BE DONE ONE DAY AHEAD

1. Prepare the Cornbread for the Cornbread Dressing
2. De-bone the turkey, chicken and duck
3. Bring the water to a simmer and prepare the Poultry Stock
4. Roast the vegetables for the Sweet Potato Eggplant Gravy
5. Prepare the Andouille Dressing
6. Prepare the Cornbread Dressing
7. Prepare the Shrimp Dressing
8. Assemble the Turducken

“TURDUCKEN” DAY!

9. Bake the Turducken

10. Prepare the Sweet Potato Eggplant Gravy

11. Let the Turducken rest for 1 hour before serving

12. While the Turducken is resting, bake the extra dressings

TURDUCKEN SHOPPING AND PREPARATION LIST

• 1 chicken (3 to 4 pound) • 7 bay leaves
• 1 duckling (5 to 6 pound) • ¾ cup corn flour
• 1 turkey, (15 to 20 pound) • 1 cup cornmeal
• 2 lbs. duck or chicken giblets • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
• 2½ pounds andouille sausage • 1 cup evaporated milk
• 1½ pounds shrimp, peeled • 1 cup sugar
• 9 cups celery, chopped (total) • 6 cups very fine dry breadcrumbs,
unseasoned (preferably French bread)
• 7 tablespoons garlic, minced (total) • 11 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Pepper Sauce™
• 8 cups green bell peppers, chopped • 21 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme's Meat Magic ®
• 12 cups onions, chopped (total) • 4 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme's Poultry Magic®
• 2 garlic heads, whole • 7 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic®
• 4½ lbs. medium onions, whole (about 6) • 1 teaspoon Chef Paul Prudhomme's Vegetable Magic®
• 3 lbs. sweet potatoes, whole (about 4) • 1 (15x11-inch) baking pan, at least 2½” deep
• 2 lbs. whole eggplants (about 2) • 1 pan, larger than the 15 x 11-inch pan
• 3 whole eggs • 1 small hammer
• 2 cups heavy cream • 3 metal or bamboo skewers
• 2 cups milk • 6 sheet pans
• 5 sticks unsalted butter • vegetable oil
• 2 cups all-purpose flour • aluminum foil
• 7½ teaspoons baking powder

STEP 1. Prepare the Cornbread for the Cornbread Dressing

Sometimes people from Louisiana like their cornbread and dressing somewhat sweet. If you prefer a less sweet dressing, make your cornbread without sugar.

CORNBREAD
Makes about 9 cups crumbled

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup cornmeal

¾ cup corn flour (NOTE: Also available at many health and international food stores)

1 cup sugar

7½ teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Vegetable Magic®

2 cups milk

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1 whole egg, beaten

Preheat the oven to 350°.

In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, corn flour, sugar, baking powder and Vegetable Magic; mix well, breaking up any lumps. In a separate bowl combine the milk, butter and egg and add to the dry ingredients; blend just until mixed and large lumps are dissolved. Do not overbeat. Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled baking pan and bake at 350° until golden brown, about 40-55 minutes. Remove from pan, cool and break into crumbs (not too fine, and leave some coarser chunks for texture).

STEP 2. De-bone the Turkey, Chicken and Duck

NOTES ON DE-BONING:

It’s helpful to keep the following in mind:

· Your goal is to end up with one large piece of essentially boneless turkey meat; the finished product will contain only the tip end of each leg bone and the first two joints of each wing. You will end up with one piece of completely boneless duck meat and one piece of completely boneless chicken meat.

· Be careful not to pierce the skin except for the initial slits. (Cuts in the skin tend to enlarge during cooking and make the end result less attractive as well as drier.)

· Allow yourself plenty of time, especially if you’re a beginner. And even if you are experienced, approach the de-boning procedure with a gentle, careful touch - - the meat is not tough and you want to end up with as much of it as possible.

· De-bone one side of each bird - - either the left or right - - before doing the other side.

· Use a sharp knife and use mainly the tip; stay close to the bone at all times with the knife.

· It’s worth the time and effort!
TO DE-BONE THE TURKEY

Place the turkey, breast down, on a flat surface. Make an incision the entire length of the spine through the skin and flesh. Starting from the neck end and using the tip of the knife, follow as close to the bone as you can cut, carefully teasing the skin and meat away from the frame. Toward the neck end, cut through the meat to expose the shoulder blade (feel for it first and cut through small amounts of meat at a time if you have trouble locating it); cut the meat away from around the bone and sever the bone at the joint so you can remove the blade.

Disjoint the wing between the second and third joint; free the heavy drumstick of the wing and remove it, being careful to leave the skin intact. Continue teasing the meat away from the backbone, heading toward the thighbone and being careful to keep the “oyster” (pocket of meat on the back) attached to the skin instead of leaving it with the bone.

Cut through the ball-and-socket joint to release the thighbone from the carcass; you should now be able to open up the bird more in order to better see what bones are still left to deal with. Continue teasing the meat away from the carcass until you reach the center front of the breastbone. Then, very carefully separate the skin from the breastbone at the midline without piercing the skin (go slowly because the skin is very thin at this point).

Repeat the same de-boning procedure on the other side (left or right) of the turkey, with the turkey still breast down. When both sides are finished, carefully remove the carcass. Then remove the thighbone and leg bone on each side as follows. Being careful not to break through the skin, use a small hammer to break the leg bone completely across, about two inches from the tip end. Then manipulate both ends of the bone with your hands to be sure the break is complete. Leave the tip of the bone in, but remove the leg bone and thighbone as one unit. To do this, cut the meat away from around the thighbone first, using the knife tip; then, holding the thighbone up with one hand, use the other hand to carefully cut the meat away from around the leg-thigh joint. (Don’t cut through this joint, and don’t worry if it seems as if you’re leaving a lot of meat around the joint - - it can’t be helped and, besides, it will add flavor when you make the stock with the bones!) Then use the blade of the knife to scrape the meat away from the leg bone; remove the leg-thigh bone. With your hands or the knife, one by one remove as many pin bones from the leg meat as possible; then, if necessary, pull the tip of the leg bone to turn the meat to the inside (so the skin is on the outside and it looks like a turkey again). Lay the de-boned turkey on a sheet pan and immediately place in the coldest part of the refrigerator. Reserve the bones and neck for making the Poultry Stock. Reserve and refrigerate the giblets for making the Cornbread Dressing.

TO DE-BONE THE DUCK

Place the duck, breast down, on a flat surface and follow the same procedure as you did to de-bone the turkey, except this time you will remove all the bones, instead of leaving in part of the wing and leg bones. To de-bone each wing, cut off the first two joints of the wing (and save for stock), leaving the wing’s drumstick; cut the meat from around the drumstick and remove this bone. When you reach the thigh, follow the thigh-leg bone with the knife blade to release the bone as one unit, again being careful not to cut through the skin. Lay the de-boned duck on a sheet pan and immediately place in the coldest part of the refrigerator. Reserve the bones and neck for making the Poultry Stock. Reserve and refrigerate the giblets for making the Cornbread Dressing.

TO DE-BONE THE CHICKEN

Use precisely the same procedure to de-bone the chicken as you used to de-bone the duck. Lay the de-boned chicken on a sheet pan and immediately place in the coldest part of the refrigerator. Reserve the bones and neck for making the Poultry Stock. Reserve and refrigerate the giblets for making the Cornbread Dressing.

STEP 3. Bring the Water to Simmer and Prepare the Poultry Stock

POULTRY STOCK
Makes about 1 gallon

The reserved carcasses from the turkey, chicken and duck

2 gallons water (at a simmer)

In a stockpot, or other large pot, bring 2 gallons of water to a boil. When the water is boiling, reduce the heat to a slow simmer. (The water will be used for making the Poultry Stock).

Preheat the oven to 400°.

Place the reserved bones and necks in a roasting pan. Place in the oven and roast until the bones are a rich golden brown, about 30 minutes. As soon as the carcasses are browned, place them in the pot. Simmer until the stock has reduced by half and has a rich poultry flavor, about 2 - 3 hours. Strain and refrigerate until ready to use.

*Note: You will have extra stock at the end of the recipe should you need it to thin out the Sweet Potato Eggplant Gravy.

STEP 4. Roast the Vegetables for the Sweet Potato Eggplant Gravy

2 lbs. whole eggplants (about 2 whole)

4½ lbs. medium onions, whole (about 6 whole)

3 lbs. sweet potatoes, whole (about 4 whole)

6 oz. garlic, whole (about 2 whole)

Vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Rub all the vegetables lightly with vegetable oil. Place the oiled vegetables in a roasting pan. Place in the oven and roast until the vegetables are brown on the outside and the eggplants are deeply wrinkled, about 2½ hours. Remove the eggplants, onions and garlic and set aside to cool. Increase the oven temperature to 425° and return the sweet potatoes to the oven. Continue to roast until brown juices are beginning to come out of the potatoes, about 30 minutes.

When cool enough to handle, peel and coarsely chop the eggplants, onions and sweet potatoes. Peel the garlic and mash with a fork. Refrigerate the ingredients separately until ready to use.

STEP 5. Prepare the Andouille Dressing

ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE DRESSING
Makes about 12 cups

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, in all

2½ pounds Andouille Sausage (preferred) or other good quality smoked pork sausage, ground (8 cups) (see NOTE)

5 cups chopped onions

3 cups chopped celery

2½ cups chopped green bell peppers

¼ cup minced garlic

7 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Pepper Sauce™

5 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Meat Magic®

3 cups very fine dry breadcrumbs, unseasoned

(preferably French bread)

NOTE: If you are not using andouille, add 1 to 2 more tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Meat Magic® for a fuller flavor. Magic Seasoning Blends’ Andouille Smoked Sausage is available by calling (800) 457-2857. Overnight or 2nd day shipping required.

Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a 5-quart pot over high heat. When the butter is melted, add the ground andouille. Cook, stirring and scraping the bottom frequently to prevent sticking, until the andouille is beginning to brown and the oil is beginning to render from the andouille, about 6 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are faded and translucent, but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add the celery, bell peppers and garlic. Continue to cook, stirring and scraping frequently, until the celery and bell peppers are faded in color, about 4 minutes. Add the Magic Pepper Sauce and Meat Magic. Stir and scrape until mixed in well and the brown crust on the bottom of the pot is dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat and add the remaining butter. Stir until the butter is melted. Fold in half of the breadcrumbs, using a bottom to top folding motion. When mixed in well, fold in the remaining breadcrumbs. Continue to fold until the breadcrumbs are evenly moistened but still somewhat dry and cakey.

Remove from heat and spread on a sheet pan as thinly as possible. Refrigerate sheet pan in the coldest part of the refrigerator until dressing is very cold. (Note: The goal is to chill the dressing as quickly as possible. Spreading the dressing in a thin layer on a sheet pan allows it to cool very quickly. In our refrigerator, this took a little over 1 hour).

STEP 6. Prepare the Cornbread Dressing

CORNBREAD DRESSING
Makes about 12 cups

1 cup evaporated milk

2 eggs

10 tablespoons unsalted butter, in all

3 bay leaves

3 cups finely chopped onions

2 cups finely chopped green bell peppers

1¾ cups finely chopped celery

1½ tablespoons minced garlic

4 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Poultry Magic®

4 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Pepper Sauce™

2 lbs. duck or chicken giblets, ground

8 cups roughly crumbled Cornbread (See recipe from

STEP 1)

Process the eggs and milk together in a blender at medium speed until fully combined, about 20 seconds. Set aside.

Spread the crumbled cornbread (from STEP 1) on a sheet pan and bake in a 300° oven until the crumbs are dry and a touch of brown is showing on the larger pieces, about 30 minutes.

In a 5-quart pot, melt 6 tablespoons of butter together with the bay leaves. Add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are beginning to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the bell peppers, celery, garlic, Poultry Magic and Magic Pepper Sauce. Cook, stirring and scraping frequently, until the onions are beginning to brown and the celery and bell peppers are faded in color, about 4 minutes. Add the giblets. Stir until the giblets are fully cooked, but not browned, and the seasoning has a rich high flavor, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and remove from the heat. Stir well until butter is melted. Remove bay leaves.

Put the baked crumbled cornbread in a large mixing bowl. Fold in the milk/egg mixture, then fold in the vegetable mixture until evenly mixed.

Spread the dressing on a sheet pan as thinly as possible. Refrigerate sheet pan in the coldest part of the refrigerator until dressing is very cold. (Note: The goal is to chill the dressing as quickly as possible. Spreading the dressing in a thin layer on a sheet pan allows it to cool very quickly. In our refrigerator, this took a little over 1 hour).

STEP 7. Prepare the Shrimp Dressing

SHRIMP DRESSING
Makes about 11 cups

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, in all

4 bay leaves

4 cups chopped onions

4 cups chopped celery

3 cups chopped green bell peppers

1 tablespoon minced garlic

7 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Seafood Magic®

1½ pounds shrimp, peeled and chopped

3 cups very fine dry bread crumbs, unseasoned

(preferably French bread)

1 cup Poultry Stock (see Recipe)

Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a 5-quart pot together with the bay leaves over high heat. When butter is melted, add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are beginning to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the celery, bell peppers, garlic, and Seafood Magic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the celery and bell peppers are faded in color, about 4 minutes. Add the shrimp and stir in well. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and stir until butter is melted. Add half of the breadcrumbs. Cook, stirring constantly, until the breadcrumbs are fully moistened and blended in, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining breadcrumbs and continue to stir until all the breadcrumbs are mixed in, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pull out bay leaves and stir in the stock. The dressing should be bound and thick but not wet.

Spread the dressing on a sheet pan as thinly as possible. Refrigerate sheet pan in the coldest part of the refrigerator until dressing is very cold. (Note: The goal is to chill the dressing as quickly as possible. Spreading the dressing in a thin layer on a sheet pan allows it to cool very quickly. In our refrigerator, this took a little over 1 hour).

STEP 8. Assemble the Turducken

TURKEY: Spread the turkey, skin down, on a sheet pan exposing as much meat as possible. Sprinkle the meat generously and evenly with a total of about 4 tablespoons of the Meat Magic, patting it in with your hands. (Be sure to turn the leg, thigh and wing meat to the outside so you can season it also).

Stuff each leg cavity with about 1½ cups of the Cornbread Dressing , pressing it into the cavities with your fingers or the round handle of a wooden spoon. Pack each cavity well, but not too tightly. (If too tightly packed, it may cause the skin to burst open during cooking).

Stuff each wing cavity with about 1 cup of the Cornbread Dressing , pressing it in as before.

Fill the center of the breast cleavage with about 1 cup of the cornbread dressing. Shape the dressing with your hands to fit the space and smooth it so that it is level with the rest of the breast meat. Shape 2-3 cups of the dressing into an even layer over the remaining exposed meat , about ¾-inch thick. (Do not put any dressing over the exposed skin flap at the neck). You should use about 8 - 9 cups dressing. Return the stuffed bird to the refrigerator.

Place the remaining dressing in a baking pan. Cover with plastic or foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.

rozeena
09-14-2007, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=ahsan28;829047]

No one would accept the other name except calling them sweet samosas, at the best :D
yeh they'd probli lauf sayin u made it up. so mite aswell call it samosa lol. cus it does look like 1. bt its jus reali reali small. yummy feel hungry nw, n still have 3 hrs till roza opens lol

ahsan28
09-14-2007, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=rozeena;829050]
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28

so mite aswell call it samosa lol. cus it does look like 1.
CZ even the Arabs also call it samosa, but they like samosas of bigger size, if u take one, thats enough, That what I saw at Dubai Airport in transit :D

rozeena
09-14-2007, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=ahsan28;829057]

CZ even the Arabs also call it samosa, but they like samosas of bigger size, if u take one, thats enough, That what I saw at Dubai Airport in transit :D
do the arabs call da sweet 1 samosa? n hw big is it?

ahsan28
09-14-2007, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=rozeena;829062]

do the arabs call da sweet 1 samosa? n hw big is it?
Really don't know, but anything which resembles is called as samosa, can't explain the size, but those were of a fairly large size :D

Anwarica
09-15-2007, 10:56 AM
This one I made last year .. it looks like pizza :giggling:

sevgi
09-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I love Taufufah... in Penang we call it "Tow Chooi"

But less sugar.... I hate it when it's ultra-sweet..
i had this taufufah when i was in indonesia...i didnt knw it was called that then...:D

i tried to like it..but i couldnt stand the taste very much...a few spoons and i had to tell the lady who made it that i could have anymore...she understood...
very frendly people indoneisans are...they love white people...its weird...:hmm:

Kittygyal
09-15-2007, 11:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anwarica
This one I made last year .. it looks like pizza :giggling:

salam.
Whats it called?

Anwarica
09-15-2007, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salam.
Whats it called?
I'd call it `home-made pizza` :D

Kittygyal
09-15-2007, 01:11 PM
I'd call it `home-made pizza` :D
:sl:
WOW!!

your kinda cool at cooking Masha'Allaah.

Is it the same you make Pizza at home or different ??

Ingredients and stuff?? :X

Kewl stuff bro :thumbs_up

syilla
09-15-2007, 03:03 PM

I'm sorry guys i forget to take picture. I able to take the pictures after everyone has finished eating. So the pics are not pretty to look at. :uuh:

It is known as 'Akok Kelantan' because of its sweet aroma. The ingredients are eggs and 'gula melaka'.

Banana cooked in coconut milk

free range chicken curry. free range chicken suppose to be healthy because of its lean fat.

Glutinous rice topped with rich kaya. For the recipe go here

This is Mini murtabak. I used a ready made popiah skin.
Motabbag (Arabic: المطبّق) which means "The Folded" so the name could be of Arabic origin. It is made from a thin dough filled with minced meat, usually mutton, and fried on a griddle until it turns golden brown. The fillings also include garlic, egg and onion.

Sambal belacan to eat with rice.
A Malay style sambal. Chili is pounded together with toasted Shrimp paste(belacan) in a stone mortar. Tomatoes are optional ingredients. Sometimes, sweet sour mangoes or equivalent local fruits are added. Salt, sugar and lime juice are the last items added. Eaten with cucumbers or 'ulam'(leafy herbs) in a meal of rice and other dishes. A Malaysian-Chinese version is to fry belacan with chili.

fried Mee hoon or Fried Vermicelli

Air bandung. Rose syrup mixed with milk and sugar.

manwithnogun
09-15-2007, 03:37 PM

i am longing for Mexican food! i think it is the best food in the world no question, and its terrible that i cant get any where i am right now.....ill just have to live through Ramadan without ever getting the pleasure to eat Mexican Food lol.

Tania
09-16-2007, 06:07 AM

I'm sorry guys i forget to take picture. I able to take the pictures after everyone has finished eating. So the pics are not pretty to look at. :uuh:
It means the food was tasty. Mom its very dissapointed when we leave food in the plate. :-[ She has the feeling the food was not cooked properly.
You only put in the milk the banana :?

Anwarica
09-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Is it the same you make Pizza at home or different ??

Ingredients and stuff?? :X
I only ate pizza twice outside home in a restaurant .. because I never trust food outdoors :D
Anyway, they say my home made pizza is better :X

The ingredients are the basic ingredients of any pizza, the only thing should be noted is the milk cream .. add it generously but never eat it more than once a month because it's too risky .. totally unhealthy, but very delicious :)

Kittygyal
09-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I only ate pizza twice outside home in a restaurant .. because I never trust food outdoors :D
Anyway, they say my home made pizza is better :X

The ingredients are the basic ingredients of any pizza, the only thing should be noted is the milk cream .. add it generously but never eat it more than once a month because it's too risky .. totally unhealthy, but very delicious :)
But erm how come yo Pizza is like long is that because of baking tray??

Right... Not that i love unhealthy food so relax

:smile:

Tania
09-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Pizza is healthy food. We eat cheese and other stuffs :)

Idris
09-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Somali Feast This is what I eat most days then my mom is around:)

Somali rice, fried meat(Goat best meat), and boiled vegetables

P.S :D Don’t forget a banana

syilla
09-17-2007, 12:41 AM
It means the food was tasty. Mom its very dissapointed when we leave food in the plate. :-[ She has the feeling the food was not cooked properly.
You only put in the milk the banana :?
The recipe you can find it here :D

PENGAT PISANG

Ingredients :

Ripe bananas ~ sliced thickly
White sugar
Coconut milk
Sago ~ soaked
a pinch of salt

Method :
1. Pour coconut milk, salt and sugar in a pot.
2. Cook on slow fire, continuously stirring.
3. When boiled, put in the bananas and sago.
4. Turn off the heat once the sago turns translucent and the bananas are soft.
Note :
a. You can substitute white sugar with palm sugar/jaggery
b. To give it a nice smell , you can add screwpine leaves (pandan).
c. Serve it either hot or cold.

What I did :
I don't have sago at that time, so I didn't put any. And just to give some color to the Pengat Pisang, I added a bit of cha-cha. Actually, I don't really know how to go about cooking this cha-cha. Got a packet from Alia and it was in the freezer ever since. So I just boil the cha-cha and once it's soften a bit, I add them into the pengat.

syilla
09-17-2007, 12:46 AM
^^^i'm sure somali eat this too

akhee woodrow for sure will love this

Khayal
09-17-2007, 02:13 AM

Boys in Pakistan help to prepare meals that Muslims will eat after sunset during Ramadan.

129498610 1171c485c9 1?v0 -

Traditional Sudanese food at Ramadan.
Everyone is welcome!

Anwarica
09-17-2007, 03:16 AM
But erm how come yo Pizza is like long is that because of baking tray??
Yes, the tray is a square :)

Pizza is healthy food. We eat cheese and other stuffs :)
Mostly it's classified as junk food, you can know it by estimating levels of fat vs protein and vitamins of that food :)

جوري
09-17-2007, 05:01 AM
Had some of this today

and this

squash in Béchamel Sauce..

typical middle eastern salad

and

bifteck which I don't really care for or touch.. sort of like liver.. :mmokay:

we had company of course ..I hope they enjoyd it insha'Allah

north_malaysian
09-17-2007, 07:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
i had this taufufah when i was in indonesia...i didnt knw it was called that then...:D

i tried to like it..but i couldnt stand the taste very much...a few spoons and i had to tell the lady who made it that i could have anymore...she understood...
very frendly people indoneisans are...they love white people...its weird...:hmm:
Many Asians presumed that European tourists have lots of $$$$$.

north_malaysian
09-17-2007, 07:57 AM
I love "popiah goreng" (fried springrolls)

ahsan28
09-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Had some of this today
The ist pic needs a little explanation :D

I will now visit after iftar, can't resist :cry:

north_malaysian
09-17-2007, 08:19 AM

Popiah Basah (Wet Springrolls)

Cendol (my favourite dessert)

Murtabak

232179311 0d10e7321a 1?v0 -

Roti John

485096181 e4364cdb91 1?v0 -
Nasi Goreng USA (USA Fried Rice)

Nasi Goreng Pattaya (Pattaya Fried Rice)

Woodrow
09-17-2007, 11:43 AM
^^^i'm sure somali eat this too

akhee woodrow for sure will love this
That is similar to what I saw in Morocco, but those look like small Camels and not stuffed.

Nawal89
09-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Brother NM that roti John brings back for me some bad memories...I cant take that stuff :-X

Woodrow
09-17-2007, 08:28 PM
The ist pic needs a little explanation :D

I will now visit after iftar, can't resist :cry:
You just failed mid east cooking 101.

Even a Texas Cowboy knows stuffed grape leaves.

They are great. I love the Syrian once. I suspect the Egyptian ones are similar. It took me a little while to get over the shock of tasting cinnamon in the ground beef in the Syrian ones. but, after you get over that surprise, they are very good.

ahsan28
09-17-2007, 09:04 PM
You just failed mid east cooking 101.
My fault. Will try that soon, inshallah.

جوري
09-18-2007, 01:17 AM
had plain pizza today and soda

north_malaysian
09-18-2007, 05:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
Brother NM that roti John brings back for me some bad memories...I cant take that stuff :-X
eh... why? Too huge to swallow it?:giggling:

ahsan28
09-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Flavours of Ramadan

By Jyoti Kalsi, Gulf News Report

Published: September 18, 2007

Ladies may like to learn something from these cooking tips :D

http://www.gulfnews.com/tabloid/Food/10154277.html

syilla
09-18-2007, 10:47 AM

last night iftaar

Abdul-Raouf
09-18-2007, 10:55 AM

last night iftaar
^^^^ description plz....wat are the names..wat are the ingredients

rozeena
09-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Flavours of Ramadan

Published: September 18, 2007

Ladies may like to learn something from these cooking tips :D

http://www.gulfnews.com/tabloid/Food/10154277.html
thanks 4 sharing dat bro, can try sum of dem rcecipes out.

north_malaysian
09-19-2007, 02:26 AM

last night iftaar
No. 1 pic - fried cockles?
No. 2 pic - What's that? I never seen it before...
No. 3 pic - Chicken tomyam
No. 4 pic - Tauhu Sumbat (Stuffed Tofu)

Nawal89
09-19-2007, 02:30 AM
I love tahu sumbat. <33 yum yum.

Nawal89
09-19-2007, 02:32 AM
eh... why? Too huge to swallow it?:giggling:
The mayyonaise they use for it is so sweeet! It messes everything up. :zip:

snakelegs
09-19-2007, 02:38 AM
syilla,
what do you stuff the tofu with?

syilla
09-19-2007, 03:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
syilla,
what do you stuff the tofu with?
do you meant by tawfoofah.

well...we don't stuff in anything. just make it plain.

snakelegs
09-19-2007, 03:08 AM
north_malaysian identified it as stuffed tofu. what is it? (looks good)

north_malaysian
09-19-2007, 03:09 AM
do you meant by tawfoofah.

well...we don't stuff in anything. just make it plain.
tofu = tauhu

north_malaysian
09-19-2007, 03:10 AM
my mum stuff it with slices of cucumber and carrot, and beansprouts

north_malaysian
09-19-2007, 03:11 AM
sweet mayo? :exhausted

syilla
09-19-2007, 03:15 AM
oh the last pictures that i post. :D

you can find the recipe here

syilla
09-19-2007, 09:58 AM
No. 1 pic - fried cockles?
No. 2 pic - What's that? I never seen it before...
No. 3 pic - Chicken tomyam
wow...the first one you're correct. I'm impressed.

the second picture is badak berendam with inti (i think this is KL way of badak berendam, the kelantan ones do not have any stuffing inside).Made from glutionous rice flour and coconut milk.

the 3rd pic is not chicken tomyam, it is chicken soup. I thought tomyam is red in colour.

The 4th is correct.

Actually i've the 5th pic, sorry missed this one.

made from Sweet potatoes

oh yeah, the other we had yong tau fu.

bought from a shop that kinda like this

syilla
09-19-2007, 10:00 AM
lol...did you know if you go to the supermarket here they sold 2 types of mayyonaise. The local and the western ones. :D

~Taalibah~
09-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Wow! All theMalaysian food reminds me of when my Dad goes to indonesia!
But i agree with Abdul Raouf, indian food i the best!
i havent taken pix myself but this is just the savories we ate...
Apart from samoosas,
spring rolls

cheese cutlets

p.s i love this!

And food wise we ate kitchri and chicken curry.
anyway thats all that i can remember lol!

Tania
09-20-2007, 04:11 AM
Stuffed eggs:

and something like that looks what my mom its making:

Abdul-Raouf
09-20-2007, 04:27 AM

Pepper + Salt .. sprinkle it on boiled egg... Tastes good

north_malaysian
09-20-2007, 05:28 AM
wow...the first one you're correct. I'm impressed.
:thumbs_up

the second picture is badak berendam with inti (i think this is KL way of badak berendam, the kelantan ones do not have any stuffing inside).Made from glutionous rice flour and coconut milk.
I've heard of it, but never eat or taste it... I think it's hard to find. The only "badak" i knew is "Cucur Badak"

the 3rd pic is not chicken tomyam, it is chicken soup. I thought tomyam is red in colour.
Actually there are two kind of tomyam, the red ones and the white ones... Malaysians love red ones, but my mum love to cook the white tomyam.

Actually, I would've said it's chicken soup... but as i saw that small green chilli.. I thought it's white tomyam.... you put chillies in soup?

Actually i've the 5th pic, sorry missed this one.

made from Sweet potatoes
You slice those sweet potatoes a lil bit small... I thought it's banana fritters.:giggling:

I think that is Chinese's Yong Tau Foo because it has so many kind of green veggies (kangkung, spinach and pickled cabbage)... Muslim's Yong Tau Foo would only have "kangkung".

I think Halal Yong Tau Foo emerged from Penang. I love Yong Tau Foo. But a lil bit different from other places, we have alternatives whether to eat Yong Tau Foo with soup (chicken stock) or those red sauces. I prefer to eat Yong Tau Foo with chicken stock with loads of shredded pickled daikon radish (lobak putih).

north_malaysian
09-20-2007, 05:31 AM

Pepper + Salt .. sprinkle it on boiled egg... Tastes good

and put it between two slices of bread plus some mayo.... Yummy!

north_malaysian
09-20-2007, 05:36 AM
Stuffed eggs:

and something like that looks what my mom its making:

Wow... Romanians are so creative with hard-boiled eggs....

Tania
09-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Wow... Romanians are so creative with hard-boiled eggs....
Its only an idea about what can be done if you like to eat them. :) Can be stuffed with different things but my mom its making them with mayyonaise.

I am doing often this cake too:

Woodrow
09-24-2007, 01:44 AM
I had to be the cook tonight.

This is what I fixed. A lot of it I found in the freezer and tossed in the microwave. The neighbors also brought over some stuff.

I did set the table by my lonesome self.

Here is what I did.

the stuff on the left hand platter that look like 12 things. were supposed to be deviled eggs. After boiling the eggs I had too munchkins hollering they hate eggs. So I mashed the eggs up, added some mayonaise, some Haleem Masala some chopped onions and some chile powder and some more onions. I spooned it onto slices of Mexican rusk toast and sprinkled chpped green onions all over it.

the fruit in the yellow dish is pomegranite, nectarine, and dates. the white square are Lokoum, a pistachio nut candy.

The fruits in the blue bowl are mango and cactus.

the rest of the stuff is stuff I found in the freezer and what the neighbor sent over. I have no idea what any of it is called, but it tasted good.

All in all we had a very enjoyable time and really filled up.

جوري
09-24-2007, 02:11 AM

had Fava beans today.. what we call 'fool midamis' with pita bread.. popular in the ole country, and really fills you up.. beans in general do, one of its redeeming qualities amongst other things really great to have it around sihoor too... in some unfortunate folks however, it may lead to 'favism' aka Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, a form of acute hemolytic anemia.. so if you have eaten it and found yourself jaundiced, with dark urine, and suffering abdominal pain.. eh --stop eating it, & pay your ole doc a visit, go on and butter someone else's bread.. you need to visit them so they too can put some food on the table :p ...

How do you like that? most foods should come with instructions :p :coolious:
Your fava bean just did!

waslaam khitam

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 04:38 AM

The fruits in the blue bowl are mango and cactus.
Cactus? The big ones or those small cactus? I wonder how it's taste?:blind:

جوري
09-24-2007, 04:44 AM

After boiling the eggs I had too munchkins hollering they hate eggs. So I mashed the eggs up, added some mayonaise, some Haleem Masala some chopped onions and some chile powder and some more onions. I spooned it onto slices of Mexican rusk toast and sprinkled chpped green onions all over it.

:lol: brilliant..

syilla
09-24-2007, 04:47 AM
you never tried one? in cameron highlands...they sold cactus pickles...nyumnyum...

p/s:- both our to-be-astronaut are qualified...yay. just watched tv3.

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 04:52 AM
Last night I had

474262842 c45bad7daa 1?v0 -

Nasi Kerabu (Syilla's homestate dish)

272440602 2835ddd917 1?v0 -

Sugarcane juice

Kuih Ketayap

516016218 fae67b01f1 1?v0 -

Cucur Udang and Stuffed Tofu

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 04:56 AM
you never tried one? in cameron highlands...they sold cactus pickles...nyumnyum...

p/s:- both our to-be-astronaut are qualified...yay. just watched tv3.
Pickled Cactus? I thought Malaysian cactus are only for decorating your table or garden....

So we would have two Malaysians on the space?

Woodrow
09-24-2007, 05:08 AM
That was the large white fruit. Here they are called Tuna Blanco. They are not as sweet as the purple ones, but still very tasty. The taste of the white fruit reminds me of Honey dew melons but the texture is more like an apple full of ball bearings. The seeds are numerous and very hard, fortunately you just swallow them. Takes a little experience to learn to eat them without chipping your teeth on a seed.

Here is a picture of some common ones. You can see some are about the size of a large apple. these have been peeled. I had to peel mine and remove the spines. My fingers are still full of little tiny cactus needles. Next time I'll pay extra and buy peeled ones.

Picture Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Prickly_pears.jpg
in accordance with the share agreement.

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 2.5 License. In short: you are free to share and make derivative works of the file under the conditions that you appropriately attribute it, and that you distribute it only under a license identical to this one. Official license:http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 05:28 AM
My fingers are still full of little tiny cactus needles. Next time I'll pay extra and buy peeled ones.
:giggling:

So you just eat them fresh or you can cook them too?

Tania
09-24-2007, 05:28 AM
All look so tasty and so arranged in the plate :) I never tried the deviled eggs but i found a new idea to make them :statisfie

جوري
09-24-2007, 05:38 AM
cactus fruits are my favorite.. I grew up on those, the red ones are mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

now for my main point.. would the sisters and bros. from Malaysia or else where pls write the names of the exotic foods they are posting in English beside their mother tongue.. I am having flash back to some fusion cuisine resturants I visited where everyone feigned to know the names of Scandinavian/waikiki dishes they were ordering... I'll have number 32 pls :lol:

Woodrow
09-24-2007, 05:40 AM

So you just eat them fresh or you can cook them too?
Most people eat the fruit fresh. But there are jellies made with them and a fantastic candy. The juice is boiled slowly to the sugar stage and it can then be shaped and hardens somewhat. It can be made to the texture of a hard candy or somewhat soft almost like a cookie texture.

The entire plant of the opuntia family is edible and any part can be eaten either raw or cooked. I love the large "leaves" actually pads. They can be sliced in strips and used like string beans or diced and scrambled with eggs. Can also be tossed raw into salads. Quite a versatile plant. but, so abundant here that most people consider it a weed and not worth eating. I was raising it where I was living. The neighbor next to me was constantly trying to kill it off in his pasture, We each thought the other was crazy.

syilla
09-24-2007, 05:46 AM
This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 2.5 License. In short: you are free to share and make derivative works of the file under the conditions that you appropriately attribute it, and that you distribute it only under a license identical to this one. Official license:http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/

side dishes to eat with rice

do i have to explain? :hiding:

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 05:50 AM

side dishes to eat with rice

do i have to explain? :hiding:
OK... I'll guess

1st pic - Acar (I dont know the meaning either in Malay or English)
2nd pic - Ikan Masak Asam Pedas (Hot and Sour Fish Soup)
3rd pic - Sup sayur dan Tauhu Telur (Vegetables and Egg Tofu Soup)

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 05:53 AM
cactus fruits are my favorite.. I grew up on those, the red ones are mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

now for my main point.. would the sisters and bros. from Malaysia or else where pls write the names of the exotic foods they are posting in English beside their mother tongue.. I am having flash back to some fusion cuisine resturants I visited where everyone feigned to know the names of Scandinavian/waikiki dishes they were ordering... I'll have number 32 pls :lol:

Most of the times, I dont even know what the meaning of food in Malay...

I'll try my best translating...

جوري
09-24-2007, 05:59 AM
lol when sis stated 'Do I have to translate' I was thinking ya'haaaaaaa

I am starting to think there is more to this world than chicken

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 06:02 AM
474262842 c45bad7daa 1?v0 -

Nasi Kerabu - plain rice coloured with blue colouring liquid (from a plant... I guess), served with shredded fish, cucumber, kacang panjang (yardlong bean), bunga kantan (etlingera elatior) and some unidentified herbal leaves.

Then budu (fermented anchovies) and chilli liquid are poured on the rice. When you want to eat it, you have to mix all of those ingredients with your hand...

the side dishes for Nasi Kerabu are fried fish, fish crackers, salted egg, grilled beef or solok lada (green peppers stuffed with shredded coconut and shredded fish meat)

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 06:05 AM

Kuih Ketayap - literally "Skullcap cake" - why it's called that? I dont know.

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 06:07 AM
516016218 fae67b01f1 1?v0 -

Cucur Udang (Prawn Fritters) and Stuffed Tofu

syilla
09-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Malaysia pancake...nyumnyum

for the recipe

the first picture is called 'acar kuning' or Yellow Pickles Stir Fry
made of cucumber, carrot and shallots.

for the recipe go here

others are already explained by nm :hehe:

جوري
09-24-2007, 06:13 AM
and some unidentified herbal leaves.

)
;D

btw those green wraps, what is inside of those? is it vegeterian?
I got to take a trip to the far east.......... ah the far east...

I am coming on the orient express.. wait for me :p

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 06:21 AM

the first picture is called 'acar kuning' or Yellow Pickles Stir Fry
made of cucumber, carrot and shallots

We Penangites only knew one kind of "Acar"... and you KLites calling it as "Acar Buah" (Fruity Acar)

We put prunes, raisins, dates, limes, some put lemons inside Acar (for non Malaysians, the pronouciation is "Aa-Chaar").

Usually we eat it with Briyani Rice... and it's also useful for Suhoor...as it's aroma can make your dull plain white rice smell deliciously.

syilla
09-24-2007, 06:23 AM
;D

yup...it is suitable for vegetarian

here is the recipe...just for you :D :thankyou:

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 06:25 AM
;D

Those green wraps are made of flour, coconut milk and coloured with pandan (pandanus) leaves...

The filling is made of shredded coconut meat and palm sugar.

It's Ultra-sweet!!!

I am coming on the orient express.. wait for me :p
So .. you're a Sim? :peace:

جوري
09-24-2007, 07:16 AM

So .. you're a Sim? :peace:
it is the only way to travel light and fast.. :p

جوري
09-24-2007, 07:23 AM
yup...it is suitable for vegetarian

here is the recipe...just for you :D :thankyou:
lol.. shokran ukhty.. I am not a vegeterian, I am a chickenerian

there goes my chicken now..
I think Malaysian food will be very far from the norm for me...
for instance that green wrap, to me looked like a mixed vegetable wheat wrap, stuffed with blackened chicken or blackened fish at least that is how my imagination pictured it.. turns out to be ultra sweet coconuts, which is the last thing I'd have thought of.. I need to think outside the box when I see your food, hence I ask for what it is :p
and I do aprpeciate the Malaysian cuisine education.. by the end of this month I'll be a connoisseur insha'Allah :D

Ummu Sufyaan
09-24-2007, 07:24 AM
do they make those green wraps in indonesia too. i rememeber an indonesian friend made something similar.

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 07:26 AM
lol.. shokran ukhty.. I am not a vegeterian, I am a chickenerian
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/nahrung/n020.gif there goes my chicken now..
I think Malaysian food will be very far from the norm for me...
for instance that green wrap, to me looked like a mixed vegetable wheat wrap, stuffed with blackened chicken or blackened fish at least that is how my imagination pictured it.. turns out to be ultra sweet coconuts, which is the last thing I'd have thought of.. I need to think outside the box when I see your food, hence I ask for what it is :p
and I do aprpeciate the Malaysian cuisine education.. by the end of this month I'll be a connoisseur insha'Allah :D

Malaysians are seafood people... we eat less meat (beef, chicken)

And 99% of Malaysians cannot survive a day without a plate of rice!!:p

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 07:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
do they make those green wraps in indonesia too. i rememeber an indonesian friend made something similar.
It's a Peranakan (Straits Born Chinese) delicacy... you can find it in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.

جوري
09-24-2007, 08:11 AM
Malaysians are seafood people... we eat less meat (beef, chicken)

And 99% of Malaysians cannot survive a day without a plate of rice!!:p
I like fish too actually.. I just don't like fusion of sweet and salty.. my sister loves it though.. like those Afghani pumpkin turn over (bolanee kadu)? I think they call it?.. for some reason my mouth feels cheated when I feed it desert for dinner...:D

north_malaysian
09-24-2007, 08:20 AM
I like fish too actually.. I just don't like fusion of sweet and salty.. my sister loves it though.. like those Afghani pumpkin turn over (bolanee kadu)? I think they call it?.. for some reason my mouth feels cheated when I feed it desert for dinner...:D
In this part of the globe, we ARE NOT SHY to fuse all sorts of tastes - salty, sweety, soury, spicy, bittery, nutty, fatty etc.

Woodrow
09-24-2007, 12:14 PM
In this part of the globe, we ARE NOT SHY to fuse all sorts of tastes - salty, sweety, soury, spicy, bittery, nutty, fatty etc.
Reminds me a lot of Vietnamese cooking and some Chinese cooking. My mother cooked using basically Chinese methods, but with European food. :D

The concept was you cook equal amounts of opposites for the Yin-Yang quality, it takes opposites to make the whole.

If you put in something red you add the same amount of something green, sweet/sour, soft/crunchy. etc/etc

Tania
09-24-2007, 02:26 PM
, fish crackers,
How are you making the fish crackers :?

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-24-2007, 07:21 PM
cool thread lol

Kittygyal
09-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Salamualikum.
i can't see that many pictures apart from TEXT grr

ahsan28
09-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Delicious iftar

Published: September 24

http://www.gulfnews.com/tabloid/Society/10155632.html

ladies try these recipes and give your feedback, please :D

Hisbul_Aziz
09-24-2007, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Idris
Somali Feast This is what I eat most days then my mom is around:)

Somali rice, fried meat(Goat best meat), and boiled vegetables

P.S :D Don’t forget a banana
That is very macan to eat especially with the madasi and sambosa

جوري
09-25-2007, 12:04 AM
today I had baked salmon

with Sautéed spinach

and a baked potato

some Sautéed Mixed Vegetables

and a blue cheese romaine salad

al7mdlilah.. Now I am going to go have some coffee and desert :p

syilla
09-25-2007, 12:46 AM
we usually don't make the fish crackers...we bought the ones then fry it in the pan.

fried fish crackers

unfried fish crackers

Khayal
09-25-2007, 01:07 AM
today I had baked salmon

with Sautéed spinach

and a baked potato

some Sautéed Mixed Vegetables

and a blue cheese romaine salad

al7mdlilah.. Now I am going to go have some coffee and desert :p

Looks yummy, we did not break our fast yet, going to be pretty soon, InshaAllah.

We will have Almond milk shake, dates, simple white rice, red lentil ( laal dal)
and nehari + naan in aftari + dinner...InshaAllah..:)

:sl::w:

north_malaysian
09-25-2007, 02:33 AM
Fish crackers are mostly made by Malays living in the East coast of Peninsula Malaysia... they also make prawn and cuttlefish crackers.

So, we who are living elsewhere just buy it .. instead of making it..:p ... and it's cheap.

They usually use "Ikan Parang" (lit. "machete fish"?).

190458823 e5da036952 1?v0 -

Ikan parang!!

north_malaysian
09-25-2007, 02:36 AM

The concept was you cook equal amounts of opposites for the Yin-Yang quality, it takes opposites to make the whole.

If you put in something red you add the same amount of something green, sweet/sour, soft/crunchy. etc/etc
Yeah.. it's kinda true.. :peace:

Tania
09-25-2007, 02:14 PM
we usually don't make the fish crackers...we bought the ones then fry it in the pan.

unfried fish crackers
I never saw them in the shops but we can buy shrimps crackers. They come pack up like the fish and we have just to fry them.

(lit. "machete fish"?).
I bought lately the mackerel fish and its good.

جوري
09-26-2007, 06:21 AM
had chicken soup today

and a

.. my mom made a Zucchini Squash tray, but I wasn't in the mood for anything but chicken soup.. I am kind of hungry now actually.. will try to wake up for sihoor insha'Allah and eat well then...

north_malaysian
09-26-2007, 06:52 AM
I never saw them in the shops but we can buy shrimps crackers. They come pack up like the fish and we have just to fry them.
If you want to eat the crackers solely... I think prawn crackers are better for that.... but if you want to eat with plain rice .. nothing beat fish crackers...

We also have veggie crackers...

Tania
09-27-2007, 05:17 AM
I like this one too:

Its a dessert named "milk of the bird" :hmm: romanian "lapte de pasare"

north_malaysian
09-27-2007, 05:27 AM
I like this one too:

Its a dessert named "milk of the bird" :hmm: romanian "lapte de pasare"
whoa... birds also have "milk"?

جوري
09-27-2007, 05:47 AM
lol birds actually do have milk.. but it is in powder form..I think these names are done just for fun? but yeah even in Arabic we have very strangely named foods and deserts
from the husband of hind to the veins of bugs to mouse dropping to ladies fingers :haha:

ahsan28
09-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Sugar and spice

Published: September 26, 2007

Enjoy Indian dishes :p

http://www.gulfnews.com/tabloid/Food/10156257.html

north_malaysian
09-28-2007, 01:01 AM
lol birds actually do have milk.. but it is in powder form..I think these names are done just for fun? but yeah even in Arabic we have very strangely named foods and deserts
from the husband of hind to the veins of bugs to mouse dropping to ladies fingers :haha:
We have strange names too for our delicacy.. and some sounds racist.

* Badak Berendam (Soaking Hippo) - a dessert that doesnt involve a hippo.

* Cucur Badak (Hippo fritters) - again no hippo, but shredded prawns.

* Telinga Hindu (Hindu's ear) - we are not cannibals, no Hindus are hurt in the making of this delicacy.

* Serabai (Messy) - it's a sort of pancake... not messy at all.

* Cucur Kodok (Toad fritters) - no toads are involved. Only bananas.

:okay:

جوري
09-28-2007, 02:25 AM
We have strange names too for our delicacy.. and some sounds racist.

* Badak Berendam (Soaking Hippo) - a dessert that doesnt involve a hippo.

* Cucur Badak (Hippo fritters) - again no hippo, but shredded prawns.

* Telinga Hindu (Hindu's ear) - we are not cannibals, no Hindus are hurt in the making of this delicacy.

* Serabai (Messy) - it's a sort of pancake... not messy at all.

* Cucur Kodok (Toad fritters) - no toads are involved. Only bananas.

;D yeah we too have a million of them.. I thought it would frighten the regulars away so I didn't want to share all of them .. Sometimes I wonder how they desert came to acquire such bizarre description?

north_malaysian
09-28-2007, 06:34 AM
;D yeah we too have a million of them.. I thought it would frighten the regulars away so I didn't want to share all of them .. Sometimes I wonder how they desert came to acquire such bizarre description? http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/mi...smiley-078.gif
at least we have one racist meal - Telinga Hindu (Hindu's Ear)

1094222231 73edaebd84 1?v0 -

1192933865 b18ea3b784 1?v0 -

Have you ever wonder why it's called like that?

P/S: it's another ultra-sweet dish made of palm sugar.

جوري
09-28-2007, 09:34 AM

well.. I'll go out on a limb and say it isn't called hindu's ear because it is ultra sweet?.. :haha: -- a pic does speak a thousand word though ;D ;D ;D

Tania
09-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Telinga hindu looks like a donut :)
I will post the recipe for the bird milk but its made from cow milk and eggs :)

Woodrow
09-28-2007, 08:52 PM
I will post the recipe for the bird milk but its made from cow milk and eggs :)

I was worried about that. I was trying to figure out how to milk a sparrow.

Looking forward to your recipes. Looks very much like something my mother used to make when I was young.

Abdul-Raouf
09-30-2007, 10:10 AM

1094222231 73edaebd84 1?v0 -

Hey its ^^ called " Adhirasam " in Tamil .... Its sweety and yummy

Far7an
09-30-2007, 10:16 AM

Some nice pics in this thread!

Has anyone tried those orange round things which are cover in breadcrumb masala? I don't know what they are called. If I have it anytime soon, I'll upload a pic.

Tania
09-30-2007, 10:30 AM

I was worried about that. I was trying to figure out how to milk a sparrow.

Looking forward to your recipes. Looks very much like something my mother used to make when I was young.
Once you could find it in sweet-shops but now its only home made.

Recipe of the "milk bird":
1/2 liter milk
2 eggs
100 gr. sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder

Boil the milk mixed with 1 spoon of sugar .Until then beat the white of eggs. When the milk begin to boil with a spoon add lumpy of white eggs (you keep them in the milk only for around 1 or 2 minutes).After that they are put in the plate. The milk its take off from gas cooker for 5 or 10 minutes ( to be a little cold). Until then the yolk of the eggs its mixed with the sugar and the vanilla powder. When the milk its a little not too hot, the above mixture its added and after that the whole milk mixture its put in "Bain Marie" until become tick( you have to use a spoon and mix them in the bain marie). This cream its put in glasses and in the top its added one or two :-[ lump of white eggs.
Its served only cold.

Source:http://www.gustos.ro/retete-culinare...u-vanilie.html

The Bain Marie: boil a pot with water and when the water its hot you put the pot with milk on top of that and boil them together.

Tania
09-30-2007, 06:51 PM
We have a cake named "tree crust" :giggling:

north_malaysian
10-01-2007, 04:34 AM
Telinga hindu looks like a donut :)
A very small donut!!!

north_malaysian
10-01-2007, 04:38 AM
Hey its ^^ called " Adhirasam " in Tamil .... Its sweety and yummy
So... it's originated from South India? :D. I dont know why it's popularly known as "Hindu's Ear"... maybe it was introduced by a Hindu? ^o)

It's very sweet... and some people make it smaller and crunchy...

and lots of people are buying it for Eid.

Woodrow
10-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Once you could find it in sweet-shops but now its only home made.

Recipe of the "milk bird":
1/2 liter milk
2 eggs
100 gr. sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder

Boil the milk mixed with 1 spoon of sugar .Until then beat the white of eggs. When the milk begin to boil with a spoon add lumpy of white eggs (you keep them in the milk only for around 1 or 2 minutes).After that they are put in the plate. The milk its take off from gas cooker for 5 or 10 minutes ( to be a little cold). Until then the yolk of the eggs its mixed with the sugar and the vanilla powder. When the milk its a little not too hot, the above mixture its added and after that the whole milk mixture its put in "Bain Marie" until become tick( you have to use a spoon and mix them in the bain marie). This cream its put in glasses and in the top its added one or two :-[ lump of white eggs.
Its served only cold.

Source:http://www.gustos.ro/retete-culinare...u-vanilie.html

The Bain Marie: boil a pot with water and when the water its hot you put the pot with milk on top of that and boil them together.

Shookran, that is identical with what my Mother used to make. The funny part is she would have learned how to make it in Lithuania. I'm trying to think of what she used to call it..

Now I will try to talk my daughter into making it from your recipe.

syilla
10-01-2007, 12:33 PM

I'm baking Muffin to give away...(giving away to masjid actually... :D).

Anyway...forgive me for the appearance of the muffin. I'm too tired, came back from the office and straight away do my baking. Not yet taken bath... :X and tomorrow i've a presentation to make which i'm not prepared a single thing.

I would love to try Tania's bird's milk. :D

Anyway akhee Raouf...we have lots of Indian food here...and the malay loves eating eat. we have putu mayam :D

~Taalibah~
10-01-2007, 12:59 PM
A very small donut!!!
I'm going to ask my grandmother if she knows what this is! i've never eaten it.

north_malaysian
10-02-2007, 07:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sabeeha
I'm going to ask my grandmother if she knows what this is! i've never eaten it.
Are you Tamil? As Abd Raouf mentioned, i think this delicacy originated from Tamil Nadu.

Many South Indian food are considered as "Malaysian" food today... talking about naturalisation...:D

~Taalibah~
10-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Are you Tamil? As Abd Raouf mentioned, i think this delicacy originated from Tamil Nadu.

Many South Indian food are considered as "Malaysian" food today... talking about naturalisation...:D
Nope. my older family comes from somewhere in India.
the only stuff i know that looks like that, tastes more like a bajia (and they like to make ie strong! agh:p .
Anybody here eats Haleem?
(took some food pics got to upload them)

north_malaysian
10-03-2007, 06:37 AM
I have a friend named Haleem... and I dont eat him.:ooh:

Tania
10-06-2007, 07:36 AM

I'm baking Muffin to give away...(giving away to masjid actually... :D).
I tried to see how are you doing the muffins and i found a recipe with carrots in it. Are you adding carots too in the cake :?
It looks a little bit different from your picture :-[

syilla
10-06-2007, 08:15 AM
^^^nah...mine is blueberry muffin :D

yours look yummy. i love carrot cheese cake :D

Tania
10-06-2007, 11:23 AM
I like the cheese cakes and cheese pies but i never tried until now the carrot cakes.
We eat a lot of pretzel. They are so tasty. Someone said we are a p[retzel nation. They are sold everywhere in the streets :statisfie

sister herb
10-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Did somebody mentioned a word as cheese cake here... This is what I did yesterday:

white chocolate cheesecake with strawberries. Haven´t taste it yet... :scared: still many hours to iftar... ;D

ahsan28
10-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Meat and greet

Featuring some German recipes to add variety to your iftar menu. The recipes have been provided by chef Houssem Hamouda from Brauhaus at the Jumeirah Rotana Hotel, Dubai :D

http://www.gulfnews.com/tabloid/Food/10157338.html

syilla
10-08-2007, 01:04 AM
I like the cheese cakes and cheese pies but i never tried until now the carrot cakes.
We eat a lot of pretzel. They are so tasty. Someone said we are a p[retzel nation. They are sold everywhere in the streets :statisfie

i never have tried home made pretzel.

But my family definitely love to buy aunty anne's pretzel

dip with this

Home made eid cookies...

just made it yesterday...

north_malaysian
10-08-2007, 01:31 AM

Romania is a Pretzel nation?

I always thought that pretzel is something "New York"

Tania
10-08-2007, 05:09 AM
Romania is a Pretzel nation?

I always thought that pretzel is something "New York"
They are not expensive, even during fast are allowed and are tasty :) I didn't know about New York but we don't eat too much the pretzel posted by me in the previous picture. We have more this type:

and the next one:

Tania
10-08-2007, 05:14 AM
They look delicious and the second one looks like "fornetti" cake which its sold in small shops here.

Do you think its the same because i like them :statisfie but they never shared the recipe.

syilla
10-08-2007, 05:26 AM
^^^it looks more like puff with fillings :)

Tania
10-08-2007, 01:51 PM
^^^it looks more like puff with fillings :)
I was sure you made something like this in the second pic. Do you have the recipe of the puff:? They use for fillings from chees upto nuts everything.

Kittygyal
10-08-2007, 01:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Did somebody mentioned a word as cheese cake here... This is what I did yesterday:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/233/5...dd4211a0c6.jpg

white chocolate cheesecake with strawberries. Haven´t taste it yet... :scared: still many hours to iftar... ;D
O0O0H i miss my cheese cakes poor snowy :cry: :cry:

Mmmm that looks delicious going to buy some inabit and munch

good maker you are :mmokay:

syilla
10-09-2007, 01:19 AM
I was sure you made something like this in the second pic. Do you have the recipe of the puff:? They use for fillings from chees upto nuts everything.
This is only simple recipe for cream puff. But its still yummy

Rise & Shine Cream Puff
There are 3 stages in preparing Cream Puff. First we need to prepare the shell, then the filling and finally to assemble the two. The recipe for the shell is called choux paste, the filling is called Pastry Cream. It is advisable to prepare the Pastry cream first and keep it cool in the chiller before use.

Ingredients for Choux Paste
250 ml water
100 gm Rise & Shine
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
125 gm all purpose flour
3 whole egg

Methods
1. Put water, salt, sugar, Rise & Shine margarine in a medium size pot. Leave to boil. Slow the fire, let it simmer for 30 sec.
2. Pour in the flour, stir well. Keep on stirring until mixture become paste and leave the sides of the pot.
3. Take out from fire and leave to cool.
4. When properly cooled, beat in the eggs using electric beater one at the time.
5. Pipe the batter on a well greased tray. Sprinkle some water and bake at 175C for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Take off from the oven and leave to cool

Ingredients for Pastry Cream
500 ml Full cream milk
50 gm Rise & Shine
80 gm castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 yolks
0.5 tsp salt

Methods

1. Simmer the milk for 2 minutes
2. In a mixing bowl, mix all ingredients except vanilla essence
3. Put in the milk, stir well. Once the milk started to thicken slow the fire when the cream bubbled from the bottom of the pot, add in the essence. Stir well. Put off from fire
4. Leave to cool. When cooled use an electric beater and beat the cream for 1 minute. It is now ready to use.

How to assemble
1. Take the shell and make a slid. Insert a spoonful of the cream. Dust with sieved icing sugar to enhance appearance. Ready to serve!
1?1156807750 -
Putting margerine / butter.

2?1156807765 -
mixed until become paste

5?1156807820 -
after putting the eggs

6?1156807838 -
piping the batter

9?1156807910 -
after come out from the oven.

the images taken from www.myresipi.com.

After that you just slice half the puff and fill in the puff inside.

cream puff recipe

Abdul-Raouf
10-09-2007, 02:54 AM
Nope. my older family comes from somewhere in India.
the only stuff i know that looks like that, tastes more like a bajia (and they like to make ie strong! agh:p .
(took some food pics got to upload them)
Heavenly Haleem..

Posted in Brunch, Indian recipes, Lamb, Beef, Mutton, Ramadhan Special / Iftaar Special tagged Can have at Lunch or Dinner, Haleem, Hyderabadi Recipe, Iftaar Special Recipe, Indian Recipe, Lamb, Beef, Mutton, Mutton Haleem, Mutton recipes, Porridge, Ramadhan Special Recipe, Stew at 4:42 pm by Mona
Haleem, is a stew or a porridge made by slow cooking the lentils, meat and broken wheat together. Its one of the most nutritous one-dish meals anyone can have. Its perfect for a cold weather, or a starving stomach

Its mostly a Hyderabadi dish, usually had by Hyderabadi muslims in the month of Ramadhan.
I remember back in India, stalls and shops, especially for the month of Ramadhan would be set up and people would gather in big crowds to have it then and there, or parcel it and take home for everyone

The crowds and the stalls which would especially be seen in the month of Ramadhan in Hyderabad was a sight to watch, remember and recollect always. Missing India and my Dear Parents now ! sob My Mum used to prepare many snacks for iftaar and delicious meals at dinner. I on the other hand, do not prepare many snacks, my way is to prepare only one snack at iftaar and have dinner immediately after it..
Well, I prepared it for dinner yesterday and it turned out very good. Everyone in my house loved it, especially my dear hubby and i felt like a proud, content cook of the house !
This dish too needs some pre-planning and is a little bit time consuming. But anything for a yummy dish once in a while, isnt it

I feel that the Haleem which we get from the market is greasy and heavy. I always like to prepare Haleem in my house instead of getting it from the market which will be unhealthy, where i can add my own clean and washed ingredients, and i will be knowing how much amount of oil i have added to the dish

Well, Here goes the recipe:
Serves : 4 or 5 people
Ingredients:
  • Broken Wheat/Bulgar Wheat - 1/2 cup
  • Split Bengal Gram/Chana Dal - 1/3 cup
  • Split Grren Gram/Moong dal - 1/3 cup
  • Split Yellow Lentils/Masoor dal - 1/3 cup
  • Salt - 2 1/2 tsp
  • Mutton - 500 gms, cut into 2 inch cubes, washed
  • Turmeric/Haldi - 1/2 tsp
  • Canola oil/Butter - 4 tbsp
  • Onions - 2, sliced
  • Ginger-Garlic paste - 2 tbsp
  • Coriander seeds - 2 tsp, dry roasted and powdered
  • Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp, dry roasted and powdered
  • Green Cardamom - 5, powdered with skin on
  • Yoghurt - 1 cup
  • Tomatoes - 2, large, chopped
  • Bay leaves - 2
  • Dried red chillies - 2, split into two halves and seeds shaken out
  • Garam masala - 1 tsp
  • Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
  • Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
For Garnish:
  • Mint leaves - 4 tbsp
  • Coriander leaves - 4 tbsp
  • Green chillies - 1 tsp
  • Onion - 1, large, thinly sliced
  • Lemon/Lime - 4, cut into quarters
  • Butter - 2 tbsp

Method:
  • Wash and marinate the cubed mutton pieces in a tsp of salt, and turmeric for 30 minutes.
  • Wash and soak the Bulgar wheat overnight in generous amount of water in a bowl.
  • Likewise in a different bowl, wash and soak the dals overnight in lots of water.
  • In a pan at medium heat, pour 2 tbsp of butter or oil and add the sliced onion. Fry them till light brown in colour.
  • Add ginger garlic paste, coriander and cumin seed powder, green cardamom powder and mix well.
  • After a minute add the yoghurt. Let it cook it it leaves oil. Then add the chopped tomatoes and cook it till the mixture becomes mushy in texture.
  • Remove from heat and let it cool. Once cool, grind the whole mixture to a fine paste and set it aside. Lets name this ‘Mixture A’.
  • Drain the dals and pressure cook them till they are soft in 3 cups water. Grind them once done to a smooth paste. This is our ‘Mixture B’
  • Meanwhile, in a different pressure cooker, add a tbsp of canola oil or butter and add the marinated mutton. Fry it till it changes colour and is no longer red in colour. Add 1 1/2 glass of water to it and pressure cook it till the meat is very tender. Shred the meat cubes once cool, and drain, strain and reserve the stock.
  • In a different pressure cooker, pressure cook the drained broken or bulgar wheat in 2 1/2 cups water till it is soft. Once cool, grind it to a paste.This will be our ‘Mixture C’.
  • Now, in a big bowl at medium heat, pour a tbsp of cabola oil or butter, add to it, the dried red chillies and bay leaves. Once they start spluttering, pour in the Mixture A, B and C. Add the remaining salt, Garam masala, red chilli powder and black pepper powder. If the mixture appears to be too thick and you wamt it a bit loose in consistency, add the meat stock till you the consistency you like.
  • Simmer and let it boil for 10 minutes, stirring it once in awhile taking care it doesnt stick to the bottom of the bowl.
  • Fry the sliced onion till brown and crisp, for garnish and keep aside in a bowl.
  • When you sit to have it, pour the haleem into individual plates and add each of the ingredients for garnishing. Serve it hot. Enjoy.vi

VISIT : http://monaafzal.wordpress.com/2007/09/19/

I googled for haleem... found this Indian site...

VISIT : http://monaafzal.wordpress.com/

Abdul-Raouf
10-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Nestle - Maggi : Various Cuisines

http://www.nestle-family.com/maggi/e...i_cusines.aspx

Nestle - Maggi : Ramadhan Competition

http://www.nestle-family.com/Ramadan...rlink=Maggi-En

Tania
10-09-2007, 02:06 PM
I never tried to cook that but it looks like a cake what i like too :)

Its so great when they are posting pics after each stage of cooking :-[ (at least to see the beginners how its supposed to look)

Tania
10-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Thank you for the recipe :statisfie

Its so great when they are posting pics after each stage of cooking :-[ (at least to see the beginners how its supposed to look)

Kittygyal
10-09-2007, 02:59 PM

Greetings Tania :)

That looks neat indeed...

got cream in???

It's soo large ... im measuring my mouth to see if it will fit in or not :giggling:

Take care hun.

ahsan28
10-09-2007, 05:09 PM
How cream can be cooked :hiding:

Tania
10-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Greetings Tania :)

That looks neat indeed...

got cream in???

It's soo large ... im measuring my mouth to see if it will fit in or not :giggling:

Take care hun.
Its whipped cream and another chocolate cream. But i will try sis Syilla recipe (on the previous page) because it looks the same :) and i will add to the puff the whipped cream because i like it.

Kittygyal
10-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Its whipped cream and another chocolate cream. But i will try sis Syilla recipe (on the previous page) because it looks the same :) and i will add to the puff the whipped cream because i like it.
Oh is the cream hard or like nice?

I wonder if it fits in my mouth though, still haven't estimating my mouth ;D

Tania
10-10-2007, 03:27 AM
Oh is the cream hard or like nice?

I wonder if it fits in my mouth though, still haven't estimating my mouth ;D
Cook the puff cake and add the whipped cream. :D Make it big after your bite :giggling: or how my mom always says :-[ use a spoon dear. :-[

Tania
10-10-2007, 03:29 AM
How cream can be cooked :hiding:
The whipped cream its not cooked. Its mixed until become hard and its added to the cake.

Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Cook the puff cake and add the whipped cream. :D Make it big after your bite :giggling: or how my mom always says :-[ use a spoon dear. :-[
Greetings.

My Nan says 'Use a folk dear or a spade'.. nowadays people don't know the difference between folk,spade and spoon :p

Ah, well i wonder if it will taste nice because i don't want it a lot of sugar and most of all im poor at cooking.. what a piety :skeleton:

bewildred
10-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Girls, you're really mean ! I can't resist cakes with whipped cream. It's way worth hours of workouts,:p .

S.

Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
Girls, you're really mean ! I can't resist cakes with whipped cream. It's way worth hours of workouts,:p .

S.

Im not mean, Oh tend not to :D

Lol.. maybe some cheap cream would do the job?

sister herb
10-10-2007, 03:56 PM

Looks a little similar than some traditional "Cream Buns" in my country (Finland)... but we use less whipped cream... :rollseyes

as:

Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Salamualikum Sister Harb.

They look Mmmm... In the cattein we have some of them and i always go for seconds :X but can't help it there delicious...

Tania
10-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Looks a little similar than some traditional "Cream Buns" in my country (Finland)... but we use less whipped cream... :rollseyes
It looks good too. This cake its faimous :)

Another very tasty cake with whipped cream :) :
rulada cu frisca - whipped cream roly poly :? I don't know if i translated correctly the cake name

Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 05:11 PM
^ Lol tania thats a swiss roll cream

LOL :p :X

Tania
10-10-2007, 05:20 PM
^ Lol tania thats a swiss roll cream

LOL :p :X
I try my best :-[ :giggling: but our roll doesn't have inside cream, only whipped cream.

Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 05:24 PM
I try my best :-[ :giggling: but our roll doesn't have inside cream, only whipped cream.
Greetings.
No worries hun we all try our best and i was being sarcastic about it's being called 'swiss roll cream' :zip: ;D

Whipped cream is hard and don't like it... it tastes horrid

Anywho i better go it's my second fast Alhmdulilaah and Gemma is cooking tea so better bounce off

Take care hun

Kittygyal
10-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Salamualikum...

This thread is dead man... When it was ramadan (:cry:) it was soo alive now it's gone quiet in here ..

Ma'assalama

sister herb
10-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Salamualikum...

This thread is dead man... When it was ramadan (:cry:) it was soo alive now it's gone quiet in here ..

Ma'assalama
Isn´t that clear... now we all are eating those foods... which pictures we have looked all the time of Ramadan.

Miss Palestine
10-15-2007, 03:00 AM
loolzzz....i miss being hungryy idk y =/

syilla
10-22-2007, 04:58 AM
sis Tania...

don't forget to post your pic of the cream puff...

i have some pics during eid...yum yum but the camera is with my husband. remind me to take the camera from him...

Kittygyal
10-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Isn´t that clear... now we all are eating those foods... which pictures we have looked all the time of Ramadan.

Err, nope it aint clear because doesn't only mean you post pics or lets say make this thread alive only in time of Ramdan, hell no man. It can be done even when not fasting man.

Anywho forget it.

Ma'assalama

syilla
10-23-2007, 04:16 AM

sorry i only have this picture...i'm having problem uploading the pictures.

Anyway this is chicken satay (still not yet cooked) and we dip it in the peanut sauce. and also eat it with ketupat nasi (malay rice dumpling).

The main delicacy here in malaysia.

ketupat

here is the recipe.

after cook, it should turn out to be like this...

sorry i didn't took the picture totally forgotten about it.

Kittygyal
10-23-2007, 10:51 AM
^ Is that watermelon? Yammy Yammy..

Tania
10-23-2007, 07:08 PM
I never eat chicken cooked in this way but must be tasty. I like the grilled meat :)

syilla
10-24-2007, 01:04 AM
^ Is that watermelon? Yammy Yammy..
no sis...that is cucumber.

~Taalibah~
10-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Lol, i was going to say it looked like green melon!

Kittygyal
10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
no sis...that is cucumber.

Who cut them??

What shapes man :uuh:

Cumbaaaaaaaaaaa yammy yammy

syilla
10-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Lol, i was going to say it looked like green melon!
any pic on the green melon to share with us :D

Who cut them??

What shapes man :uuh:

Cumbaaaaaaaaaaa yammy yammy
is a cylinder shape like.... it is good for the eye. If you can resist on eating it. :D Just cut it and put it on your eyes while you're sleeping

snakelegs
10-25-2007, 02:20 AM
syilla,
hope you had a good eid.
i am curious, what is that food in the middle pic that you have labeled ketupat?

syilla
10-25-2007, 02:30 AM
syilla,
hope you had a good eid.
i am curious, what is that food in the middle pic that you have labeled ketupat?
alhamdulillah i've a great eid.

i can't wait the next eid...eiduladha :D. inshaAllah i'm doing qurban too with my family.

ketupat = rice dumpling. (nice to dip it in peanut sauce)

snakelegs
10-25-2007, 02:35 AM
what is it wrapped in?
as for qurban, i'm afraid i would have to go hide! :hiding:

syilla
10-25-2007, 02:46 AM
what is it wrapped in?
as for qurban, i'm afraid i would have to go hide! :hiding:
from palm leaves

here how to weave it
http://jussaemon.blogspot.com/2007/1...e-ketupat.html

You should go and see the qurban. The cows are calm as if they knew they are going to paradise...lol

snakelegs
10-25-2007, 04:14 AM
interesting video. but they didn't show how you fill it!
now, i liked this, from the blog (she must be related to me):
"I was never good at this anyam ketupat thing, oh me god, how can i claim to be a full blooded melayu, i am so ashamed hisk hisk sob sob. Wait a minute! There's always the plastic nasi himpit solution in the hypermarket, just add water he he he, i love technology..." ;D

as for qurban - cows are always pretty calm as far as i know. btw, i read recently that when you are going to kill an animal using the halal method, you do not let the animal see the knife to keep it from being afraid.
i've stopped eating meat almost entirely because of the horrible cruelty in the american meat industry. it's disgusting.

syilla
10-25-2007, 04:35 AM
interesting video. but they didn't show how you fill it!
now, i liked this, from the blog (she must be related to me):
"I was never good at this anyam ketupat thing, oh me god, how can i claim to be a full blooded melayu, i am so ashamed hisk hisk sob sob. Wait a minute! There's always the plastic nasi himpit solution in the hypermarket, just add water he he he, i love technology..." ;D

as for qurban - cows are always pretty calm as far as i know. btw, i read recently that when you are going to kill an animal using the halal method, you do not let the animal see the knife to keep it from being afraid.
i've stopped eating meat almost entirely because of the horrible cruelty in the american meat industry. it's disgusting.
yeah...she is funny.

You're right! they have to hide the knife from the cow.

Sorry, I can't find the youtube on how they put in the rice and boil it.

snakelegs
10-25-2007, 04:55 AM
i'm too lazy to make it. but it sure looks nice!

syilla
10-25-2007, 04:58 AM
i'm too lazy to make it. but it sure looks nice!
actually its nicer to make it using the glutinous rice. nyum nyum

Kittygyal
10-25-2007, 10:59 AM
is a cylinder shape like.... it is good for the eye. If you can resist on eating it. :D Just cut it and put it on your eyes while you're sleeping

Lol... I wonder put camba on me eyes. Hell no :uuh:

But i like Camba tho... cylinder shape.. Mmm im going to try making a triangle :X

Ma'assalama

~Taalibah~
10-25-2007, 09:43 PM
any pic on the green melon to share with us :D
Its not in season here at the moment... ah but i got a pic off the net.

syilla
10-26-2007, 02:39 AM
Its not in season here at the moment... ah but i got a pic off the net.

It looks like the honeydew melon. Here in Malaysia, you can find it throughout the year...

~Taalibah~
10-26-2007, 09:04 PM
We get both here in summer, the last one being less common.

Umm Hurairah
10-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Those melons look mega-delicious. :D

syilla
10-30-2007, 02:56 AM
i made 'roti jala'

you can go here for the recipe. but i don't use coconut milk. I just used evaporated milk

then when it is cooked don't wait untill it turn brown or else your 'roti jala' will turned crunchy and it is hard to roll it like this.

and you dip it with chicken kuzi

don't ask me the recipe!. it is a traditional recipe...so the way my family make it is so hard for me to explain. :exhausted

Nawal89
10-30-2007, 01:21 PM
roti jala has to be my favoriiiiite. My mom makes it with coconut milk tho..I never tasted it with evaporated milk.

~Taalibah~
10-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Never heard of roti jala:?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.