/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does this invalidate my fast?

AnonymousPoster
09-14-2007, 09:13 AM
:w:

I am fasting and in work.
A man in work was introduced to me and he put out his hand to shake mine and i shook it. ( I am female)

I always do this even though I know its wrong and i really want to say something but I dont know what to say and i panic everytime this happens and i always just end up shaking the persons hand because i have no idea what to say...

Estaghfirullah

Does anyone know if this invalidates my fast?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tryinghard
09-14-2007, 04:44 PM
:sl: I'm no expert on this topic, but I don't think that this invalidates your fast. I know many people say it is not appropriate to shake men's hands, but in some settings, its hard to follow this rule, especially in corporate settings. I'm interested in hearing what other people have to say to this.

tomtomsmom
09-14-2007, 05:04 PM
I found this but it says nothing of handshaking.

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref...lidates%20fast

islamirama
09-14-2007, 05:37 PM
It doesn't break your fast but you do get sin for it. Read more here inshallah

http://www.islamqa.com/ramadan/?q=eng/ref/38153

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
miqu
09-14-2007, 05:42 PM
:sl:

As far as i know, shaking hand with non-mahram does not invalidate your fast. Yes majority of the ulama considered it as sin but i pretty sure it doesn't invalidate your fast

noorahmad
09-14-2007, 06:27 PM
assalam walaikum, im of the view that one is only allowed to work in an Islamic environment, especially for a woman(i think there are esp. conditions for a woman to work, u shud check that.).
Ask Allah for help, and Insha Allah he'll send aid

syilla
09-15-2007, 12:13 AM
This morning i accidently gossiping about an artist :hmm:

i'm so afraid that the reward of fasting will be taken away because of this. imsad

May Allah forgive us all

MustafaMc
09-15-2007, 03:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
:w:

I am fasting and in work.
A man in work was introduced to me and he put out his hand to shake mine and i shook it. ( I am female)

I always do this even though I know its wrong and i really want to say something but I dont know what to say and i panic everytime this happens and i always just end up shaking the persons hand because i have no idea what to say...

Estaghfirullah

Does anyone know if this invalidates my fast?
I would agree that shaking hands with non-mahram of the opposite sex is contrary to the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad, but I don't think it invalidates the fast. However, it is certainly best to avoid as much sin as possible during Ramadan as it is a special time of worship.

I work in a professional environment and often encounter women at meetings who thrust their hand forward upon greeting or being introduced. For example, I just returned from the World Cotton Research Conference and several women thrust their hand forward to shake mine. I simply raised my hand to over my heart and said, "I am sorry, but my religion doesn't allow me to shake hands with women." I also try to have a program or a notebook in my right hand as a discouragement.

SirZubair
09-15-2007, 04:25 AM
If you are a Shafi'i, then the handshake broke you Wadu. As for your fast, Allahu alam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.