/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dates!

Maidah
09-14-2007, 10:17 PM
now that it's ramadan, i was just wondering where you can find good dates from ( the ones you eat:D ).

Or is there any specific brand that has good dates???

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rafeeq
09-16-2007, 08:07 PM
i believe in Middle east. But do not know in London.
Come and try these ones. these are really nice

Maidah
09-18-2007, 08:11 PM
^ which ones???

noodles
09-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Oh have you tried the ones from Madina? I believe their dates are the best I've eaten. Juicy, big, nice and wrinkly, brown... oh my mouth is watering already.

Astagfirullah.. I'm fasting.

I'll get back to this thread in sometime :D
(as for where you can get them? well, where I live, the only times I've eaten them are when people I know have got to Medina and have came back here with dates. I'd say it'd be the same in UK. Nevertheless ask your relatives or at one of your local muslim stores)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
al Amaanah
09-18-2007, 08:16 PM
^ fasting? subhana Allah, its 'isha here.

noodles
09-18-2007, 08:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al Amaanah
^ fasting? subhana Allah, its 'isha here.
Well people do live on the other side of the world too :D

It is not all just mountains and deserts or just oceans :)

There is the continent of North America :giggling: Details can be found on the internet, but if you want the real experiance, you can just fly down(or shall I say 'up' here) here and look for yourself.

ahsan28
09-18-2007, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maidah
^ which ones???
Ajwa (a brand of dates) is known to be the best. I think its found in Madina.

bewildred
09-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey guys, have you ever tried dates from the algerian Sahara???? They're tooooo yummy !!!!

Bewildred S.

piXie
09-18-2007, 09:09 PM
now that it's ramadan, i was just wondering where you can find good dates from ( the ones you eat:D ).
:sl:

lol PM me your address n i'll send u a very delicious box as a gift insha'Allaah :p

Al_Imaan
09-18-2007, 09:10 PM
i haven't had dates in such a long time....maybe about a year....:(....can't find good ones where I live...this is making me hungry...

al Amaanah
09-18-2007, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
Well people do live on the other side of the world too :D
LOL I know that, but still subhana Allah.

bewildred
09-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Ok, my sis Pixie inspired me. Look, whomever cant have decent dates, please, get in touch with me. I'll be your dates dealer,lol. I'll do it gladly.

Bewildred S.

Woodrow
09-18-2007, 09:31 PM
to me the best dates are Medjool. I fell in love with them in Morocco. They also raise them in Algeria, but Algeria is better known for Deglet Noor . they have now begun Medjools raising here in Texas, I have been buying them fresh at a local grocery store.

There are quite a few varieties of dates. each with different texture and flavor. Do not worry about brands when looking for dates, look for the variety and until you get a chance to try all of them listen to people that are familiar with the different varieties.

I found this link about the different types of dates.

http://www.seaviewsales.com/varieties1.html

Check it out and if you have a Mid eastern grocer near go there and ask about getting some that they would recommend.

Intisar
09-18-2007, 09:52 PM
:sl: We got them from Habib's in Toronto this year. Subhanallah they were expensive. A small packet was $10.00. :ooh:

Maidah
09-18-2007, 11:44 PM
bless u sis pixie nd thanx 4 the offer. Ya i've got a mid eastern store around but their dates looked very dry, and the same as any other. And true the dates from madina are great, but by the time i get them from there ramadan will be over.

Malaikah
09-19-2007, 08:01 AM

what ever you do sis, don't get turned off from dates just because you tasted some yukky ones... don't dates aren't nice, others are sooooooo yuuuuuuummmmmmm.

and also, dates are meant to look dry on the outside... aren't they?

syilla
09-19-2007, 08:08 AM
you are right ajwah is the best

there are some that are wet from outside.

I used to sell them...lol now i'm too lazy

rozeena
09-19-2007, 01:29 PM
my mum gets dese reali nice onesfrom quddusi superamarket in birmingham,dnt knw if u gt 1 in london its da al nisa store, neway dey r sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo deliciouse, fat n juicy. i cnt remeba da brand ill let u knw wen go home inshallah

------
09-19-2007, 01:48 PM
:salamext:

Ajwa dates are THE BEST :D

Click Here for Image :D

Ajwa dates, it is believed come from Jannat and also I have heard, our Prophet (saw) first planted these dates...Here the hadith mentioning ajwa dates..

Ibn Abbas narrated, Rasoolullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) has said: أ¢â‚¬إ“The Ajwa dates is from Jannah and in it is a cure from poison (Tirmidhi and Ibne Maja).

Bukahri - Volume 7, Book 65, Number 356, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 663:
Narrated Saud:
The Prophet said, "If somebody takes some 'Ajwa dates every morning, he will not be effected by poison or magic on that day till night." (Another narrator said seven dates).
Also Muslim: Book 023, Number 5081:

Muslim Book 023, Number 5083:
'A'isha reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The 'ajwa' dates of 'Aliya' contain heating effects and these are antidote in the early morning.
Source

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-19-2007, 01:59 PM
I want some of those big dry dates from madina, i've been after them ever since a brother gave me one last year. They were cool. the adtes here in birmigham are all squishy wet ones :-(

ahsan28
09-19-2007, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=Muj4h1d4;831399

Ajwa dates are THE BEST :D[/QUOTE]

Recognition is equally important :D

Maidah
09-20-2007, 06:18 PM
finalllllllly i found some good ones :D , they have walnut/almond in between them and they taste wicked, big and juicy, and also healthy cuz of the nuts. :D

ISLAMASWEENEY
09-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Brother Date Direct.com

Al-Zaara
09-23-2007, 08:20 AM
finalllllllly i found some good ones :D , they have walnut/almond in between them and they taste wicked, big and juicy, and also healthy cuz of the nuts. :D
Selam aleykum,

What.. With almond/walnut??? :ooh: What are they called???

Pk_#2
09-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Oh yeah dose ones are nice :D

Mmmm, heh

piXie
09-23-2007, 09:55 AM

oh niceeeeee! now u can send me some instead j/k :p

hmmm... speaking of dates, plz check th following link:

http://www.mpacuk.org/content/view/4005/34/

everyone :offended:

SirZubair
09-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Pixie... is the offer open to everyone? :D

ahsan28
09-23-2007, 10:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Selam aleykum,

Height of imagination and power of creativity :thankyou:

piXie
09-23-2007, 10:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Pixie... is the offer open to everyone? :D
not to those who don't kno how to spell my name correctly :p

gv my salam to ur wifey!

Al-Zaara
09-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Selam aleykum,

format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28
Height of imagination and power of creativity :thankyou:
I didn't mean like what that kind of date is called. Like someone suggested, nutty dates. :mmokay: :smile: loq

I meant where can I buy those and/or who sells them, is there a particular company making those etc. ? I'd seriously wanna try those.. :cry: Sounds delicious.

piXie
09-23-2007, 01:50 PM
I meant where can I buy those and/or who sells them, is there a particular company making those etc. ? I'd seriously wanna try those.. :cry:
lol I don't kno any companies but if u have some nice sweet Kajoor's at home, just take out their pips and replace them wid nuts instead

Almond, walnut, Brazil nut, peanut, coconut, whichever one u like :D

tastes yummmy :p

ISLAMASWEENEY
09-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Good Coconuts

Maidah
09-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Selam aleykum,

Sis i donno whereabouts in london u live so i can't really say, but if you PM me i could give u the exact address. And i'm sure many oriental shops should have it.

I'll get back to you with the exact name on the dates i bought.:D

~Taalibah~
09-23-2007, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
lol I don't kno any companies but if u have some nice sweet Kajoor's at home, just take out their pips and replace them wid nuts instead

Almond, walnut, Brazil nut, peanut, coconut, whichever one u like :D

tastes yummmy :p
you get the ones with nuts dipped in honey as well.
i love those and the Rutaabs.

bewildred
09-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Awkay, Im gonna ask you for some info since we're on a thread about dates:

What's the hikma on eating dates on a an impair number (Witr)?????

Thanks in advance.

Bewildred S.

~Taalibah~
09-23-2007, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
Awkay, Im gonna ask you for some info since we're on a thread about dates:

What's the hikma on eating dates on a an impair number (Witr)?????

Thanks in advance.

Bewildred S.
I'm not sure if your question is directed to me, but , i dont know, to be honest i'm not even sure of the meaning of "hikma":-[ .
All i do know is that it is Sunnat.
sorry for the lack of help!

~Taalibah~
09-23-2007, 09:13 PM
That is, Sunnat to eat it in odd numbers.

bewildred
09-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Hello sis Sabeeha,

I know it's a sunnah, but I guess that everything that our prophet (saaws) did, he did it on purpose.

Bewildred S.

جوري
09-23-2007, 10:38 PM
let me tell you of the juiciest, tastiest dates I have ever sunk my teeth into, they are from california and come in a big red box .. I am going to run outside and read the name on the box, write it after iftar insha'Allah but for now, read all about it
:w:
A California date containing no pits. Ideal for baking and great just to pop in your mouth.
This product is certified kosher.

Health Tips
1. California dates are loaded with the energy you need every day - to win a marathon or get you through a tough day. With only 24 calories per date (248 per 100 gram serving), dates are high in dietary fiber, carbohydrates, and contain more potassium than bananas! Yet they are virtually fat, cholesterol and sodium free!

2. Dates provide essential vitamins and minerals - such as B-complex vitamins, magnesium and iron. Only a handful of dates - five or six - will help you meet your 5-A-Day goal for fruit.

3. A handful of dates will help you meet the 5-A-Day goal. Five to six delicious California dates or a cup of chopped dates equals one serving. Great tasting, power-packed California dates are part of the USDA Pyramid's food group. Eating California dates can help you achieve the recommended goal for fruit servings each day.

4. The American Cancer Society recommends that you consume 20-35 grams of dietary fiber a day. Dietary fiber comes in two forms - soluble and insoluble. Each serves a valuable function. Insoluble fiber increased the rate at which food moves through the digestive system. Soluble fiber may help control diabetes by decreasing elevated blood glucose levels. Soluble fiber also had been found to help lower serum cholesterol levels, particularly undesirable loud density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol. California dates are a good source of dietary fiber. A serving of power-packed California dates - just 5 to 6 six dates - can provide 3 grams of dietary fiber. That's 14 percent of your recommended daily value.

5. A serving of power-packed California dates contains 31 grams of carbohydrates, making them a powerhouse of energy. Carbohydrates include 3 grams of dietary fiber and 29 grams of naturally occurring sugars such as fructose, glucose and sucrose to provide quick energy and are readily used by the body. California dates are a perfect energy boosting snack.

6. Ounce per ounce, pound for pound, California dates are one of the best natural sources of potassium. Potassium is an essential mineral your body needs to maintain muscle contractions including the vital heart muscle. Potassium is needed to maintain a healthy nervous system and to balance the body's metabolism. Since potassium is not stored in the body, and much is lost in perspiration, it must be continually replenished. As you consume potassium you excrete sodium, helping to keep blood pressure down. As people age, their kidneys become less efficient at eliminating sodium. About a 400 mg increase in potassium intake has been associated with a 40% reduction in the risk of stroke. This roughly amounts to one additional serving daily of California dates.

7. Eating California dates and drinking water is an ideal, natural way to replenish the potassium. A serving of California dates contain 240 milligrams of potassium or 7% of the recommended daily value. Bite for bite, they have three times the amount of potassium as bananas!

8. California dates contain a variety of B-complex vitamins - thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6 and pantothenic acid. These vitamins have a variety of functions that help maintain a healthy body - to metabolize carbohydrates and maintain blood glucose levels, fatty acids for energy, and they help make hemoglobin, the red and white blood cells.

9.Magnesium is essential for healthy bone development and for energy metabolism. One serving of California dates provides 4% of the suggested daily intake of magnesium. Iron is essential to red blood cell production. Red blood cells carry all the nutrients to cells throughout the body. One serving of California dates contains nearly a third of the Recommended Dietary Allowance for iron.

جوري
09-23-2007, 10:46 PM

try one with a glass of milk I promise, will take care of all your needs.. just the most amazing thing.. I await Ramadan feverishly for them.. the lebanese man we buy them from, only gets them in Ramadan... they are a bit expensive around $79 but oh so well worth it and last the entire month!
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.