/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can you still keep a fast even if you don't make niyaat?

abbas_ali
09-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Salaam all,

My younger brother isn't feeling too great today and got up quite late, plus he didn't make niyyat(sp?) declaration of fast at sehri time as he forgot so i am wondering can he still keep a fast?

Please reply asap.

Jazakallah kair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
09-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Question:

Does every day on which the fast is performed in Ramadan require an intention, or is it sufficient to make one intention for the whole month?

Answer:

It is sufficient in Ramadan to make one intention at the beginning of it, because even if the fasting person did not make an intention for every day the night before, that was has intention at the start of the month. But if the fasting is broken during the month due to a journey, or illness or the like, he must make the fresh intention, because he has broken it by abandoning the fast due to travel, illness or the like.

Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen
Islamic Verdicts on The Pillars of Islaam, vol.2, page.644

Farhan1
09-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Dear Brother Aslamu Alaikum,
We all are fasting is because ALLAH has commended us to do so. So Fasting is only for ALLAH (it belongs only to ALLAH) so once you start fasting itself means its for ALLAH i never came across any Hadiths saying Prophet (PBUH) used to say such intention to start fasting (AS for i Know). As far your brother is concerned no need to worry about it His fasting is fine. ALLAH knows the best.

Muslim Woman
09-18-2007, 01:53 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by abbas_ali
Salaam all,

My younger brother isn't feeling too great today and got up quite late, plus he didn't make niyyat(sp?) declaration of fast at sehri time as he forgot so i am wondering can he still keep a fast?

Please reply asap.

Jazakallah kair
i read that it's allowed to do the niyat before midday ( 12 pm). Also, it's not necessary to utter the words.

InshaAllah , his fasting will be accepted :smile:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul Fattah
09-21-2007, 03:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Farhan1
Dear Brother Aslamu Alaikum,
We all are fasting is because ALLAH has commended us to do so. So Fasting is only for ALLAH (it belongs only to ALLAH) so once you start fasting itself means its for ALLAH i never came across any Hadiths saying Prophet (PBUH) used to say such intention to start fasting (AS for i Know). As far your brother is concerned no need to worry about it His fasting is fine. ALLAH knows the best.
Brother, you are right that Fasting is for Allah subhana wa ta'ala, but so is any other form of ibaadah! Prayer is for Allah subhana wa ta'ala to, and there we have to have niyat to! Wudu is ibaadah for Allah, and there we have to make intention to, the list goes on... And of course nobody heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) say niyat, that is because niyat is never uttered out loud. Yet the first hadeeth in many collections says that every action will be judged by its intention. So the intention is important especially for ibadah which is for Allah.

Oh, I once read that niyat for fast can be made the night/evening before to? The place I read it didn't have anything to back that up though. So I don't know, and Allah subhana wa ta'ala knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.