/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bad breath during fasting ...

glo
09-17-2007, 03:37 PM
How do you deal with it?
Any remedies?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tomtomsmom
09-17-2007, 04:25 PM
LOL you come up with really good questions. To my understanding, you can brush your teeth as long as you don't swallow anything (which you aren't supposed to do anyway!)

Woodrow
09-17-2007, 04:30 PM
A light basically vegetarian breakfast with plenty of water will keep your breath fresh even without constant water drinking. A little parsley as a breakfast garnish works wonders, provided you eat it and don't just look at it.

glo
09-17-2007, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
LOL you come up with really good questions. To my understanding, you can brush your teeth as long as you don't swallow anything (which you aren't supposed to do anyway!)
I know, it's a little ... ermm ... personal ... but when you want an answer you gotta ask, don't you ... :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
09-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Eat parsley, Woodrow???!!
But it's so scratchy!! LOL

islamirama
09-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Well its good idea to brush ur teeth and floss after u eat. What really gives bad breath is the food particles (or meat) stick in between the teeth. If u don't want to brush, at least do floss so there is no particles in the mouth, then rinse it out. oh and eating dates as the last thing helps also :)

Kittygyal
09-17-2007, 07:47 PM
What about Miswak?

I heard your not allowed to brush teeth like after seh'ri

*Not that i fast thoe, so me breath doesn't smell*

farhan2
09-17-2007, 07:54 PM
this is kind of long

http://www.islamtoday.com/showme2.cf...sub_cat_id=837

islamirama
09-17-2007, 08:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
What about Miswak?

miswak is good also, it's actually better than a brush.

its recommended you don't brush with toothpaste in case u don't swallow any by accident. Miswak is more of a sunnah and healthier choice.

*fasting' person's breath doesn't smell, bad hygienist's does*

Kittygyal
09-17-2007, 08:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama

its recommended you don't brush with toothpaste in case u don't swallow any by accident. Miswak is more of a sunnah and healthier choice.

*fasting' person's breath doesn't smell, bad hygienist's does*
:sl:
Shukran brother, So how can one just use a brush and not paste?? humm... :hiding:

anywho thanks

peeps use Miswak :shade:

islamirama
09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Shukran brother, So how can one just use a brush and not paste?? humm... :hiding:

anywho thanks

:w:

i recall reading at islamqa that its good to use miswak after sehri and leave the brush and paste for night time.

ahsan28
09-17-2007, 08:29 PM

Correct, but as we know miswak is normally used by men, atleast I never witnessed a woman using miswak, so what should they do?

farhan2
09-17-2007, 08:29 PM
wicked i found it..

ok check this one out

Allah Azza wa jal says:
Fasting is Mine and it is I who give reward for it. [A man] gives up his sexual passion, his food and his drink for my sake. Fasting is like a shield, and he who fasts has two joys: a joy when he breaks his fast and a joy when he meets his Lord. The change in the breath of the mouth of him who fasts is better in Allah's estimation than the smell of musk.

It was related by bukhari

:happy:

Kittygyal
09-17-2007, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28
Correct, but as we know miswak is normally used by men, atleast I never witnessed a woman using miswak, so what should they do?
NOOO!! me Aalimah and he sister always use Miswak

islamirama
09-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Muslim women don't walk around outside with a miswak in their mouth. And you can't peep in their houses to see if they do it or not. So i'll let you ponder over that...

Woodrow
09-17-2007, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Eat parsley, Woodrow???!!
But it's so scratchy!! LOL
Parsley is some neat stuff. I use it in everything when I can get it nice and fresh.

Introduction

Parsley is a highly under rated herb and is often over looked and left on the dinner plate. Yet it is one of the best sources for vitamin C, a wide range of minerals and trace elements. It will even neutralise your 'garlic breath'.

This articles looks at some of Parley's benefits to your health and points out why you should not disregard the Parsley on you next dinner plate.
Source:http://www.wildcrafted.com.au/Articl...s_Parsley.html

ahsan28
09-17-2007, 08:51 PM

Thanks sis, I didn't know b4.

Kittygyal
09-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks sis, I didn't know b4.
No worries brother...

Woman and Men can use Miswak it's Sunah

glo
09-17-2007, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Parsley is some neat stuff. I use it in everything when I can get it nice and fresh.
I know. I was only joking.
I like parsley. My children like it too. So much so that I have never succeeded in growing it in our garden - like rabbits my children manage to munch it to death before it has had a chance to grow into a sizeable plant ...! :ooh:

glo
09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Well, I googled and found REMOVED LINK on the topic of fasting.
Interesting that bad breath is largely put down to poor oral hygiene. I had assumed that it was to do with the stomach not receiving food for a certain length of time ..!

Intisar
09-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Hello glo, first I'd like to say that you are the most respectable non-Muslim on this forum and for that I commend you. Secondly, I just brush my teeth. When I'm fasting I like to refrain from talking so If my breath smells bad, people usually won't be able to smell it. LOL. :P

salam786
09-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Salaam,

I was told brushing your tongue right the way to the back cures bad breath.

syilla
09-18-2007, 12:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by salam786
Salaam,

I was told brushing your tongue right the way to the back cures bad breath.
yes...i practise this. Everytime before salah (not on the month of Ramadhan of course).

NoName55
09-18-2007, 01:18 AM
Well, I googled and found this (Islamic) site on the topic of fasting.
Interesting that bad breath is largely put down to poor oral hygiene. I had assumed that it was to do with the stomach not receiving food for a certain length of time ..!
bad breath is caused by tooth decay, gum disease, hunger and thirst, digestive problems, smoking or some systemic diseases (not just the trapped food particles).
Interesting that bad breath is largely put down to poor oral hygiene.
No, Not on that site you quote
excerpts from article:
Some people assume that brushing the teeth while Ramadhan fasting is discouraged on the basis of the hadith where the Holy Prophet (pbuh) said: "I swear by Him in whose hand is my soul, the Khaluf of a fasting person is more pleasant to Allah than the scent of musk." [Sahih al-Bukhari (1893) and Sahih Muslim (1151)] The assumption that this hadith discourages brushing one's teeth while fasting is incorrect. Because the Khaluf is the smell that comes from the stomach when it is empty of food and is not a smell emanating from the mouth
These factors are:
  1. Poor oral hygiene caused by not brushing or improper tooth brushing technique.
  2. A dirty tongue.
  3. Cavities in the teeth.
  4. Gum disease caused by plaque and tartar.
  5. Dirty dentures, false teeth and other fixed appliances in the mouth.
After having identified the causes, we can now deal with how to prevent bad breath, especially while fasting:
  1. Brushing one's teeth after every meal, preferably early morning (at Sehri time).
  2. Flossing one's teeth which mean cleaning between the teeth using special thread called dental floss. Use of toothpicks is not advisable for this purpose.
  3. Use of a tongue or using a toothbrush to clean the tongue.
  4. Use of an anti-bacterial mouthwash. A non-alcoholic mouthwash should be used as alcohol causes a dry mouth which can aggravate the problem.
  5. Cavities in the teeth should be filled promptly to prevent food accumulation within them.
  6. Removal of tartar on teeth by a dentist at least once every six months.
  7. Drink at least 2-3 glasses of water at Sehri time.
A bad stomach can also cause bad breath so one would have to check on his diet during the holy month of Ramadhan to prevent a stomach upset and halitosis.

Foul-smelling mouths are offensive to other people therefore it is important to spend some time and follow the simple precautions and methods mentioned to prevent this problem.

Islam urges its followers to be clean, decent, and pleasant in their appearance and smell. In this respect, you can have a mouth wash and gargle it but be careful not to allow the water goes into your stomach as best as you can. During the Holy Prophet's lifetime, he (pbuh) and his Companions used to have Siwak (Miswak or Tooth stick) to keep their mouth fresh and clean.

Many people avoid brushing their teeth during the day in Ramadhan. This is a mistake, since there is no contradiction between observing the fast during Ramadhan and brushing one's teeth. Moreover, Holy Prophet (pbuh) said: "Were it not for the hardship that I would be placing upon my people, I would have ordered them to engage in Siwak (wooden toothbrush) for every prayer." [Sahih al-Bukhari (887) and Sahih Muslim (252)]

We must understand that the word "Siwak" does not just refer to the tree branches that are used as tooth sticks, but to the act of brushing the teeth itself. It is derived from the verb sak, meaning to rub, clean, buff, or polish.

So, we should keep our mouth and body clean and free of any bad or horrible smell, especially when you are working with a non-Muslim who may accuse Islam or insult Muslims because of Ramadhan fasting. Allah says: "Keep you duty to Allah as far as you can." (Holy Quran 64:16)
:w:

NoName55
09-18-2007, 11:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by farhan
wicked i found it..

ok check this one out

Allah Azza wa jal says:
Fasting is Mine and it is I who give reward for it. [A man] gives up his sexual passion, his food and his drink for my sake. Fasting is like a shield, and he who fasts has two joys: a joy when he breaks his fast and a joy when he meets his Lord. The change in the breath of the mouth of him who fasts is better in Allah's estimation than the smell of musk.

It was related by bukhari

:happy:
Some people assume that brushing the teeth while Ramadhan fasting is discouraged on the basis of the hadith where the Holy Prophet (pbuh) said: "I swear by Him in whose hand is my soul, the Khaluf of a fasting person is more pleasant to Allah than the scent of musk." [Sahih al-Bukhari (1893) and Sahih Muslim (1151)]

The (false) assumption that this hadith discourages brushing one's teeth while fasting is incorrect. Because the Khaluf is the smell that comes from the stomach when it is empty of food and is not a smell emanating from the mouth

~Taalibah~
09-18-2007, 01:45 PM
and me too!

~Taalibah~
09-18-2007, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
Some people assume that brushing the teeth while Ramadhan fasting is discouraged on the basis of the hadith where the Holy Prophet (pbuh) said: "I swear by Him in whose hand is my soul, the Khaluf of a fasting person is more pleasant to Allah than the scent of musk." [Sahih al-Bukhari (1893) and Sahih Muslim (1151)]

The (false) assumption that this hadith discourages brushing one's teeth while fasting is incorrect. Because the Khaluf is the smell that comes from the stomach when it is empty of food and is not a smell emanating from the mouth
I dont often brush my teeth while i'm fasting for fear i might break my fast by mistake.
i wouldnt worry too much abt the bad breath, think about it. This smell comes because you are fasting and Allah Ta'aala likes it better than the smell of musk.
:sunny: my 2c

Muhammad
09-18-2007, 02:00 PM

You don't always get bad breath when you're fasting... it's perfectly possible to have normal or near-normal breath!

sevgi
09-18-2007, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

You don't always get bad breath when you're fasting... it's perfectly possible to have normal or near-normal breath!
have u asked anyone bro? or is this ur opinion of ur own breath???+o(

really...how is that possible?i mean, ur not eating all day...

sevgi
09-18-2007, 02:09 PM
so can we or can we not brush our teeth with a normal brush and normal toothpaste....?

let me put it this way,,,'is it haraam to do so?'

peace.

NoName55
09-18-2007, 02:11 PM
edit :zip:

NoName55
09-18-2007, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
so can we or can we not brush our teeth with a normal brush and normal toothpaste....?

peace.
My miswak (tooth brush) is made of plastic and I use it thrice a day with toothpaste

tomtomsmom
09-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Rather I am really dumb or just really confused cause where I come from you aren't supposed to swallow anything while using a toothbrush and toothpaste. It even says it on the toothpaste "DO NOT SWALLOW"! So why would it be a problem?

NoName55
09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/830871-post32.html

~Taalibah~
09-18-2007, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye

peace.
i would say its fine to brush your teeth with a brush but makrooh to use the paste.

The Ruler
09-18-2007, 08:40 PM
How do you deal with it?
Any remedies?
Yes. Tooth brush and tooth paste [I'm thinking of taking them to school; but the sad thing is, apparently, the tap water is recycled. Eeek!]. You can rinse your mouth with water. That helps keep odour away Alhamdulillah. Phew.

NoName55
09-18-2007, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sabeeha
i would say its fine to brush your teeth with a brush but makrooh to use the paste.
because?

ahsan28
09-18-2007, 09:19 PM
May be cz of democracy :D

Sheba
09-18-2007, 09:24 PM
What about Miswak?

Peace,

Why is it that you are not fasting sister...are you ill or something?

NoName55
09-18-2007, 09:28 PM
May be because of democracy :D
besides that I wonder if people know that some companies like Colgate's toothpaste is haram as it is based on animal oils rather than vegetable oils like Lever Brothers and Vicks' products (halal)

Woodrow
09-18-2007, 11:29 PM
besides that I wonder if people know that some companies like Colgate toothpaste is haram as it is based on animal oils rather than vegetable oils like SLever Brothers and Vicks' products
Toothpaste is in my opinion one of the biggest scams of the 20th century. It is the toothbrush that does the work and not the toothpaste, and the Miswak is the best tooth brush available.

Toothpast simply makes brushing your teeth taste good, the only possible benefit would be from flouridated tooth paste, if your drinking water does not contain flouride.

Study Shows Toothpaste Value WINTHROP, Me. -- Following a year-long computerized direct profit and profitability analysis of the HBC section at Hannaford Bros.' Shop 'N Save supermarkets, the chain had decided to revamp its shelf sets and increase its emphasis on the toothpaste category.
Related Results: toothpaste value of using

After the analysis showed toothpaste to be much more profitable than had been thought, the entire category was remerchandised using vertical-set displays to spur sales of the top-profit brands. Toothpaste had been displayed on a single shelf, often on the bottom level of the aisle.
Source: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_n15111002

In my opinion the best choice to keep fresh breath all day while fasting is to watch what you eat in the morning, than brush your teeth with a miswak and if you want to be safer, rinse your mother with a tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water and eat a few sprigs of parsley with your breakfast. If you still have a problem, there is a possibility you have a stomach ailment that needs treatment.

NoName55
09-18-2007, 11:55 PM
^^^ Salam Alaikum

If I attempt using wooden toothbrush (miswak) I do more damage than good as I am a bit shaky and not steady of hand.

But factory made plastic is so gentle that I cannot do any damage. Toothpaste that I use is medicated to heal sensitive gums

I have used the wooden version prior to 1977, occasionally, but not since.

wa salam alaikum

In my opinion the best choice to keep fresh breath all day while fasting is to watch what you eat in the morning, than brush your teeth with a miswak and if you want to be safer, rinse your mother with a tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water and eat a few sprigs of parsley with your breakfast. If you still have a problem, there is a possibility you have a stomach ailment that needs treatment.
I agreed with this earlier in the thread but must have lost it during on of my editing sprees

Woodrow
09-19-2007, 12:13 AM
^^^ Salam Alaikum

If I attempt using wooden toothbrush (miswak) I do more damage than good as I am a bit shaky and not steady of hand.

But factory made plastic is so gentle that I cannot do any damage. Toothpaste that I use is medicated to heal sensitive gums
I can relate to both of those and there is justification in using medicated toothpaste for sensitive gums. That would be a tooth paste I would not consider a waste of money.

I have not tried a plastic miswak, but that sounds good, probably outlasts the wooden ones too.

seattlemuslimah
09-19-2007, 12:34 AM

anywho thanks

It isnt saidy you cannot use tooth paste but you have to be very careful when using tooth paste as to not get toothpaste in your throat or it will ruin your fast. so when brushy brushy be careful! otherwise use miswak but I still brush with toothpaste and i have NO problems not swallowing water or toothpaste that stuff taste to gross anyway LOL. and gritty yuck.

anyway good luck

NoName55
09-19-2007, 12:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I can relate to both of those and there is justification in using medicated toothpaste for sensitive gums. That would be a tooth paste I would not consider a waste of money.

I have not tried a plastic miswak, but that sounds good, probably outlasts the wooden ones too.
In my usual clumsy way I have given the wrong impression

when I say plastic miswak I actually mean a normal toothbrush not any exact replica of the wooden one with bristles on the tip

NoName55
09-19-2007, 12:41 AM
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Salvadora+Persica

syilla
09-19-2007, 01:11 AM
:salamext:

lol...Malaysia has so many halal toothpaste. Everytime i go to the shop i don't know which to choose

Najwa contains no flouride, ingredients are calcium and oil from the Miswak plant only

and this is miswak...no chemical and additives but hard to get.

~Taalibah~
09-19-2007, 11:49 AM
because?
i was thinking that the taste of the tooth paste would be harmful?

~Taalibah~
09-19-2007, 11:59 AM
The miswaaks pic in Syilla post clean the best!:smile:

I heard that brushing often with a miswaak also helps for the smell...

MaiCarInMtl
09-19-2007, 01:02 PM
I've been using my toothbrush and toothpaste.

I didn't know some toothpastes had animal products in it. Ick! I usually use toothpastes I can find in natural food stores (like Tom's, Jason, Green Beaver) or Arm & Hammer. I can't use C=either Crest or Colgate (I can't recall which ones) because the Sodium Lauryl Sulfate tends to give me canker (sp?) sores. Ouch!

I'd love to try miswak just for the fun of it! Never actually seen one with my own eyes though.

islamirama
09-19-2007, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MaiCarInMtl
I've been using my toothbrush and toothpaste.

I didn't know some toothpastes had animal products in it. Ick! I usually use toothpastes I can find in natural food stores (like Tom's, Jason, Green Beaver) or Arm & Hammer. I can't use C=either Crest or Colgate (I can't recall which ones) because the Sodium Lauryl Sulfate tends to give me canker (sp?) sores. Ouch!

I'd love to try miswak just for the fun of it! Never actually seen one with my own eyes though.
SLS is very dangerous and most toothpaste has it as well as other products. It causes lot of health problems and thus best to be avoided. Then again, lot of ingredients used in the US are BANNED and considered Illegal to use in Europe cuz of their dangers to human health.

As for Miswak, peelu (toothpaste) is i think made of that. Try a miswak stick also, it's better than the fake bristles of commercial toothbrushes.

check this out about miswak by a non-muslim doc - Why Muslims Have White Teeth

Woodrow
09-19-2007, 04:17 PM
To keep this thread from turning into a Miswak discussion, let us carry the miswak discussions to this thread.

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...es-miswak.html

Erundur
09-20-2007, 05:38 PM
I brush before I eat my meal and again right before I make my niyyat to start fasting, afterwards I just stay awake and preoccupy my time with something.

Amandine
10-01-2007, 06:26 PM
check this out about miswak by a non-muslim doc - Why Muslims Have White Teeth

Wow, that would have been informative except for the ridiculous over the top Jewish Conspiracy paranoia.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.