/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what is fabric medium

Ummu Sufyaan
09-18-2007, 03:19 AM
:sl:
i know somwone who just bought a pack of fabric paints, and in the pack it contains a bottle of something calle fabric medium. its a liquid kind texture, and it is white. she is just wondering what this is, and how it should be used.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
09-19-2007, 11:02 AM
bump...

Woodrow
09-19-2007, 11:24 AM
:w:

It has been a long time since I did any art work. but, that sounds like Gesso. You use it to paint the canvas as a primer so you have an even colored background and a proper surface to do your actual painting on.

My guess is that serves the same purpose and it is used to prepare the fabric for painting on.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-20-2007, 03:15 AM
so basically you paint the fabric with it first, or do you mix the it with the paint?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
09-20-2007, 03:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
so basically you paint the fabric with it first, or do you mix the it with the paint?
In oil and acrylic painting you can do either or both. If it works the same as Gesso, if you mix it with the paint it gives a more bulky paint that is better suited for use with a palette knife or a coarse textured bristle brush. excellent effect if you desire to use the brush marks as a textured appearance. Different brushes will give different textures.

But, the paint is a lighter color and begins to resemble egg tempera when you mix it with gesso.

I suspect you would have similar effects with the the fabric texture medium. If the quantity of the medium is huge compared to the quantity of the paint, I would suspect most people mix it with the paint. If the quantity is about as much as a single color I would suspect it is intended to be simply a primer for some fabrics.

NoName55
09-20-2007, 05:29 AM
^^ yeah to what Br. Woodrow says plus found a lot on our friend Google at these links (uk) http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fabric+medium
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how...+fabric+medium

Fabric Painting
Acrylic Book - Fabric Painting - Application and Techniques

(I used to love watchin Bob Ross work his magic with palette knife in Joy of Painting)

Ummu Sufyaan
09-20-2007, 06:42 AM
jazakallahu khair all.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.