/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Swedish artist displays prophet cartoon

nevesirth
09-19-2007, 06:00 AM
STOCKHOLM, Sweden - A Swedish artist displayed a cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad to a seminar in Stockholm on Tuesday despite a death threat from al-Qaida in Iraq"Nobody has really seen this image and it has just become more and more impossible to show it, so I thought that ordinary people should be given the possibility to see it live," Lars Vilks told a crowd of about 100 people at a seminar.

He then held up the drawing — a rough sketch depicting Muhammad's head on a dog's body — to applause from the crowd at the Berwaldhallen concert hall in the Swedish capital.

Dogs are considered unclean by conservative Muslims, and Islamic law generally opposes any depiction of the prophet, even favorable, for fear it could lead to idolatry.

On Saturday, the putative leader of al-Qaida in Iraq, Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, offered rewards for the killing of Vilks and a Swedish newspaper editor who published the cartoon on Aug. 19.

Vilks said Monday that police had moved him to a secret location and told him he cannot return to his home following the threat.

Security guards searched the bags of visitors entering the concert hall where the 61-year-old artist joined a panel of speakers Tuesday for discussions on freedom of expression and Islam as a politicized religion.

During a question-and-answer session, a bearded man wearing a knitted skullcap walked up to a podium on the stage and delivered what appeared to be a threat against Vilks.

"I hope that your fate will be a lesson for you others," the man said in broken Swedish, drawing an angry reaction from a majority of the crowd, who booed, whistled and shouted at the man to get off the stage.

The man, who didn't give his name or identify the group he was representing, left the auditorium with an entourage of about 10 people and security guards following closely behind.

After the seminar, Vilks said he took the al-Qaida threat seriously, but added he was not afraid.

"Because I'm brave," he said, laughing. "But if they are going to do something they will probably wait a while. It will be more dangerous a few weeks from now."

Vilks told the seminar that he made a series of drawings of Muhammad to test the boundaries of artistic freedom, saying "a work of art is successful when it meets resistance."

His drawings drew protests from Muslims in Sweden and abroad after Nerikes Allehanda, a newspaper in Orebro, published one of them in an editorial criticizing Swedish art galleries for refusing to exhibit the cartoons.

Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt invited 22 ambassadors from Muslim countries on Sept. 7 to talk about the sketch in an attempt to prevent a repeat of last year's uproar over Danish newspaper cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070918/...ophet_drawings

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
nevesirth
09-19-2007, 06:01 AM
what point are these people trying to make?

Malaikah
09-19-2007, 07:51 AM
1. They want attention.

2. They want to show the world how disrespectful they are.

3. They are lame.

guyabano
09-19-2007, 07:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nevesirth
What is the point of Al Quaeda wanting to kill a man? This is also savage behavior. There are more civilized ways to go against somebody than just barbaric killing.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
09-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Yeh, but the response of al qaeda has nothing to do with his artwork.

guyabano
09-19-2007, 09:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
The question was

I ask then simply:

Why must the answer to these actions always be immediately death threats or human hunts? Can an reaction not be more civilized?

So I simply add a question. What is wrong when I ask that?

nevesirth
09-19-2007, 09:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
The question was

I ask then simply:

Why must the answer to these actions always be immediately death threats or human hunts? Can an reaction not be more civilized?

So I simply add a question. What is wrong when I ask that?
so what kind of reaction will u suggest? talking with the artist and giving reasons why he shouldnt make tht kind of artwork again?

Al-Zaara
09-19-2007, 10:04 AM
What a stupid man.

Why must the answer to these actions always be immediately death threats or human hunts?
Maybe to erase stupidity from the world? I dunno.

But as nevesirth suggested, talking would maybe help.

guyabano
09-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Exactly! Using violence to solve problems has never been a good solution.

Suomipoika
09-19-2007, 01:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
I think one of the driving forces behind publishing these things are the reactions of some muslims who either issue or support death threats in situations like this.

so what kind of reaction will u suggest? talking with the artist and giving reasons why he shouldnt make tht kind of artwork again?
How about ignoring him. If people wouldnt get so upset, no one (apart from perhaps people in Sweden) would even know about the artist. He got great publicity.

sudais1
09-19-2007, 04:07 PM
The Europeans are the most intolerant people on the face of this earth. They've always had a hateful ideology towards Muslims. have you ever heard of Christians being attacked or insulted in Muslim lands? Then you say were intolerant, the people of Europe have always been hateful to Muslims. Since the first crusade these people have been attacking Muslims. For what,

Freedom of speech has limits, it is not proper to stand up and insult someone else because your allowed. That is the most corrupt system I've every heard. Its even more disgusting to stand up and do something like the artist did in this king of world situation. Islam is constantly attacked and Muslims slandered and this guy wants to piss off all the Muslims in this kind of political unrest. He is an idiot who knows nothing of what he is doing.

wilberhum
09-19-2007, 04:14 PM
How about speaking out about disrespect?

How about tollorance?

If you know how to contact the artest, why not talk to him?

What ever, IMHO making death threats validates his work.

sudais1
09-19-2007, 04:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum

What ever, IMHO making death threats validates his work.
Why would he do it at a moment that there is such political unrest around the world? Why did they publish the one against Islam but refuse the one against Jews when he drew a rabbi on a pigs body?

wilberhum
09-19-2007, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sudais1
Why would he do it at a moment that there is such political unrest around the world? Why did they publish the one against Islam but refuse the one against Jews when he drew a rabbi on a pigs body?
He has the right to express his views.

Maybe he doesn't have any ill fealings against the Jews.

We can guess all day and never get it right.

Woodrow
09-19-2007, 04:22 PM

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.