/* */

PDA

View Full Version : being sick and fasting

nadia85
09-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Salam if someone has been sick due to feeling not well should they stil fast thanxs

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
09-23-2007, 10:38 AM
:sl:
I think this should help
1 – Sickness

Sickness means everything that means that a person is not healthy.

Ibn Qudaamah said: the scholars are agreed that it is permissible for the sick person not to fast in general. The basis of that is the aayah in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days”[al-Baqarah 2:184]

It was narrated that Salamah ibn al-Akwa’ (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “When this aayah was revealed – ‘And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g. an old man), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskeen (poor person) (for every day)’ [al-Baqarah 2:184 – interpretation of the meaning] – those who wanted not to fast could do that, and pay the fidyah (i.e., feed one poor person for each day). That remained the case until the following aayah was revealed, i.e., the verse:

‘And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g. an old man), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskeen (poor person) (for every day)’

[al-Baqarah 2:185 – interpretation of the meaning] – so it abrogated it.”

The sick person who fears that fasting may make his sickness worse or that it will slow down his recovery or damage a part of his body, has the option of not fasting, and indeed it is Sunnah for him not to fast and it is makrooh for him to complete his fast, because that may lead to his death.
So he has to be cautious and protect himself. Moreover, if the sick person is very ill, that makes it permissible for him not to fast. But if a healthy person fears difficulty or tiredness, it is not permissible for him to break his fast, if all that happens to him when he fasts is that he becomes tired.
Source

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-23-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm sick right now but I dont want to break my fast. I think I can wait a couple of hours InshaAllah :)

JazakAllah btw.

jb17
09-25-2007, 03:20 AM
already been answered. but, I have to say, I'm sick and there are days I just can't fast, where I just feel too weak and so I go without fasting that day but I try the next day. You can always make it up later... just don't stress yourself too much if you're too ill, if you have a cold or the flu definitely do not fast.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zarmina
09-26-2007, 06:07 AM

I've known people who ended up going to hospital because they did not want to break their fast. I don't think that is what Allah intended. If you are sick, you should stop and feel better first, then fast. :)

jb17
09-27-2007, 12:01 AM
wow. my parents are always like 'if you feel sick don't do it'.. they are reluctant to let me do it because things are stressful right now but i try my best.

Camomilla
10-10-2007, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
I think this should help

Source
sister, do you have to make up for It?

nevesirth
10-10-2007, 08:20 PM
what if u are on medication tht requires u eat first b4 taking?

Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Salamualikum.

Valid reason i:e only if there very very sick they shouldn't or taking medications like me always...

Ma'assalama

Camomilla
10-10-2007, 09:52 PM
but do you have to make up for It?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.