/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question on the rules

hasbinistal
09-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Last week I was with some muslims as they broke their fast. They had been fasting between 04:30hrs and 19:35hrs. This is a very long period and they had become tired. A couple of people complained about the difficulty this year due to the length of the fast. A couple of othrs stated that they would not be able to fast every day for the same reason.

After everyone had eaten, I started a discussion about the length of the fast and the effect on the participants.

I suggested that The Prophet would not have expected people living in the North (i.e. modern day UK) to suffer a longer fast than those in the South (at Mecca and Medina).

I suggested that because the Prophet was a pragmatic and wise man, he would have expected people to fast for the same lenth of time rather than let the time be dictated arbiraritly according to the geographical location of the participant. For example, in the Arctic, the fast would be totally impractical during some years.

Would it not be more sensible and more islamic for Muslims to make their own timetable according to the lenth of day in Mecca? Would this not mean that more peole would be able to complete the fast?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Na7lah
09-25-2007, 12:09 AM
well the sun dosent go down at the same time 4 everyone
like 4 me it's night time wen the Makan people r breaking there fast
i hope som1 else can help me on this

Ma'salamah

Umm Yoosuf
09-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Greetings,

Praise be to Allaah.

Islam is perfect and comprehensive. Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings):

“… This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion…” [al-Maa’idah 5:3]

“Say [O Muhammad]: ‘What thing is the most great to witness?’ Say: ‘Allaah (the Most Great!) is Witness between me and you; this Qur’aan has been revealed to me that I may therewith warn you and whomsoever it may reach…” [al-An’aam 6:19]

“And We have not sent you [O Muhammad] except as a giver of glad tidings and a warner to all mankind….” [Saba’ 34:28]

Allaah has told the believers that fasting is obligatory (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Observing al-sawm (fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become the pious.” [al-Baqarah 2:183]

And Allaah has explained when the fasting should begin and end (interpretation of the meaning):

“… and eat and drink until the white thread (light of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night), then complete your fast till the nightfall…” [al-Baqarah 2:187]

This ruling is not addressed to any particular country or type of people; it is a universal law, which also includes the people asked about in the question. Allaah is Merciful and Kind towards His slaves and has prescribed for them ways of ease to help them to do what He has made obligatory. For example, He allows travellers and the sick not to fast during Ramadaan, to save them from hardship, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The month of Ramadaan in which was revealed the Qur’aan, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadaan, i.e., is present at his home), he must observe fasting that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe sawm (fasts( must be made up] from other days…” [al-Baqarah 2:185]

So every responsible adult Muslim who is present when Ramadaan comes is obliged to fast, no matter whether the day is short or long. If a person is unable to complete a day’s fast, and fears that he may die or become ill, he is permitted to eat just enough to keep his strength up and keep himself safe from harm, then he should stop eating and drinking for the rest of the day, and he has to make up the days he has missed later on, when he is able to fast. And Allaah knows best.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 10/114

Islam Q&A

NoName55
09-25-2007, 12:47 AM
I do not think there are many Muslims in the arctic circle if any. If there are they will use commensense and or ask a scholar.

for the rest of us (in UK or else where) lenght varies as it rotates.

Ramadan at a Glance
·Ramadan is the 9th month of the Islamic Lunar Calendar.
·Ramadan lasts for 29 or 30 days.
·Muslims fast each day of Ramadan, from sunrise to sunset.
·Ramadan is also a time for spiritual growth.
·The end of Ramadan is marked by a celebration called Eid-al-Fitr

Ramadan Information
Introduction:
Ramadan is a significant time for many Muslims throughout the world. While there are many shared Ramadan traditions, Muslims choose to observe Ramadan in different ways and to different extents. The information included here is meant to provide a general overview of the Islamic fasting period.

What is Ramadan?
The Arabic word, Ramadan (pronounced Ra-ma-dhan) is the name of the ninth month in the Islamic lunar calendar. Ramadan occurs once in each Islamic year, and lasts for 29 or 30 days.

Why does Ramadan happen at different times every year?
Each month in the Islamic lunar calendar begins with the sighting of a new crescent moon. Since a new moon appears every 29 or 30 days, a lunar year is about 11 days shorter than a Gregorian year. This is why Ramadan occurs about 11 days earlier every year.

What is the religious significance of Ramadan?
There are five duties that every practicing Muslim is required to perform, known as the "Pillars of Islam". Fasting during Ramadan is the fourth pillar of Islam.

Muslims also believe that the Qu'ran (Holy book that Muslims believe is the final revelation of God to humankind) began to be revealed to Prophet Muhammad during the month of Ramadan.

What are the physical requirements of the fast?
While fasting, Muslims do not eat or drink from sunrise until sunset each day.

What are the spiritual aspects of the fast?
oRamadan is a time when many Muslims try to improve their practice of Islam.
oFasting may help Muslims develop self-discipline and will power.
oFasting may promote empathy for people around the world who live in poverty.
oDuring Ramadan, there is a strong motivation, among Muslims, to avoid any behaviour that is contrary to Islamic values, morals and practices.
oMuslims are encouraged to visit family and friends, attend community events, and give charity during Ramadan.

When will Ramadan happen this year, and how long will the fasting day last?

Ramadan is expected to begin during the second week of September, on or around September 13, 2007 (Ramadan 01, 1428 of the Islamic lunar calendar).

Because Ramadan falls at different times each year, the length of the fast also differs each year. At the beginning of Ramadan this year, in London, Ontario, fasting days will last from approximately 5:45 am until 7:40 p.m. The fasting day will shorten as the month progresses.

Who is required to fast?
Fasting during the month of Ramadan is considered an obligation of every Muslim as long as he/she meets the following requirements:
·he/she is above the age of puberty
·he/she is mentally and physically able to fast
·he/she is living in his/her permanent town/city Who is exempt from fasting?
Even if a person fulfils the requirements above, there are a number of special circumstances that can allow him/her to be exempt from fasting. Some of these circumstances include illness, traveling, and pregnancy.

Do children fast if they want to?
Children under the age of puberty are not required to fast, but are permitted to fast. Children sometimes fast for the entire month, on some days during Ramadan, only on weekends, or for part-days.

What are some special things that Muslims do during Ramadan?
·Sahoor: Sahoor is the Arabic word for the early-morning breakfast that happens about 30 minutes to an hour before sunrise. Many children wake up with their families for this special breakfast.
·Iftar: Iftar is the Arabic word for the breaking-of-the-fast meal that takes place immediately after sunset. Mosques and Islamic Centres often hold many community iftar dinners throughout the month of Ramadan.
·Taraweeh Prayers: Taraweeh is the Arabic word for special prayers that are only offered during Ramadan. These prayers take well after the iftar dinner. The prayers are typically held in Mosques, but can also take place in homes. Adults and children may take part in these prayers.

Is Ramadan considered a holiday?
Ramadan is not considered a holiday. Muslims are not expected to miss work, school, or other regular daily activities during Ramadan. They are to use the month as an opportunity to fulfill a religious and spiritual duty, while still maintaining necessary daily routines.

Is there a celebration that marks the end of Ramadan?
After the 29 or 30 days of Ramadan have ended, the next three days are called Eid-al-Fitr (¨Celebration of the Feast"). A special Eid prayer takes place on the morning of the first day of Eid. Most Muslim students and adults choose only to miss school or work on the first day of Eid.

Why is it not known exactly when the Eid will be?
It is not until the evening before Eid, when the new moon is actually sighted, that Muslims know for certain that the Eid will begin the next day. This is why it is difficult to know well ahead of time the exact day that the Eid will begin.

Copied from:Muslim Education Council of London, Ontariowebsite

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
siFilam
09-25-2007, 01:04 AM
In The Name Of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful

:salamext:

format_quote Originally Posted by hasbinistal
Last week I was with some muslims as they broke their fast. They had been fasting between 04:30hrs and 19:35hrs. This is a very long period and they had become tired. A couple of people complained about the difficulty this year due to the length of the fast. A couple of othrs stated that they would not be able to fast every day for the same reason.

After everyone had eaten, I started a discussion about the length of the fast and the effect on the participants.

I suggested that The Prophet would not have expected people living in the North (i.e. modern day UK) to suffer a longer fast than those in the South (at Mecca and Medina).

I suggested that because the Prophet was a pragmatic and wise man, he would have expected people to fast for the same lenth of time rather than let the time be dictated arbiraritly according to the geographical location of the participant. For example, in the Arctic, the fast would be totally impractical during some years.

Would it not be more sensible and more islamic for Muslims to make their own timetable according to the lenth of day in Mecca? Would this not mean that more peole would be able to complete the fast?
the days in Macca and Madina may be shorter than the days in other locations but our struggle is nothing compared to what the Prophet (peace be upon him) and his companions went through. Sometimes they didn’t have anything but dates to break their fast while most of us spend hours preparing delicious food for Iftar (breaking the fast). This month is not meant to be about ease and comfort. It’s about striving for the sake of Allah physically and spiritually. The physical struggle (hunger, thirst etc.) are obvious. But the spiritual struggle is harder, we need to learn to control our desires and learn how to sacrifice. We always look for ways to find comfort and ease, ways to satisfy our desires while disregarding the pleasure of Allah. Longer days are not valid excuses to avoid fasting. We have air conditions and other luxurious comforts to make things easy for us.

Wasalam
-SI-

جوري
09-25-2007, 02:33 AM
I don't see anything unreasonable AT ALL about fasting.. if you are just one pound over weight that is already 4000 calories extra that you've stored.. and if we are to assume the RDA recommended is of 1800-2000 calories per day, then any extra pound can already sustain you for two full days without any food.
If you are of regular weight, then wow you've got Gluconeogenesis, Glycogenolysis, Beta-Oxidation of Fatty Acids, practically any amino acid laying around your body can be used to sustain your energy-- No medically stable adult, will die from a complete 24 hour fast minimum , yet most fasts don't exceed 12 hrs.. what is with this gluttony?.. honestly today, though I am personally sick with the flu, I admonished my mother for making so many different dishes for break fast when there are literally children and toddlers searching in the garbage for food. That is, if they don't become vulture food first...

Kevin&#3720Carter20Darfur20 20Wanting20a20meal -

next time your friends complain about the fast, tell them God doesn't need their fast it was for their own good.. there is no point to it really, if they are going to complain about it, might as well just eat!

hasbinistal
09-25-2007, 11:16 AM
When my Muslim friends were complaining about the length of their fast it did occur to me that they had missed one of the main points of Ramadan, which is to experience the hunger of others. I found the complaining distasteful and it showed an inadequacy of spirit.

It is not useful however, to make absolute and concrete statements that there is nothing "...unreasonable AT ALL about fasting.." Such statements are not supported by complete explanations of how the human body maintains its energy supply and the costs of depivation. There are many, many reasons why fasting can also be detrimental to health. I have given three illustrative examples below and all of them apply to healthy people.

1) Lower blood sugar causes tiredness, lack of concentration, irritability etc. Just consider how many extra accidents at work and on the road are being caused by tired and hungry motorists who drive while fasting.

2) Fasting causes raised levels of acid in the stomach and it increases the volume of gastric juices. This can lead to gastric and oesophageal irritation and or/errosion.

3) Fasting followed by feasting causes wide swings in glucose levels. Swinging these levels over extended periods of time has been shown to be a contributing factor to the onset of adult diabetes.

The point I am making is that fasting is not 100% safe and practicable even for healthy people. For those of us living in the North or South, far from the equator, the negative effects become more apparent because the fast is longer. We must consider whether the prophet would have found this unreasonable.

For this reason, Muslims should consider effecting a flexible and balanced approach to the fast while maintaining a duty to carry the spirit of Ramadan through the reaches of the Earth We must remember the original reasons for the fast but we should remember that this tradition was given to the people of Mecca and Medina in the time of the first believers and before there were Muslims dispersed through the World.

NoName55
09-25-2007, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hasbinistal
When my Muslim friends were complaining about the length of their fast it did occur to me that they had missed one of the main points of Ramadan, which is to experience the hunger of others. I found the complaining distasteful and it showed an inadequacy of spirit.

It is not useful however, to make absolute and concrete statements that there is nothing "...unreasonable AT ALL about fasting.." Such statements are not supported by complete explanations of how the human body maintains its energy supply and the costs of depivation. There are many, many reasons why fasting can also be detrimental to health. I have given three illustrative examples below and all of them apply to healthy people.

1) Lower blood sugar causes tiredness, lack of concentration, irritability etc. Just consider how many extra accidents at work and on the road are being caused by tired and hungry motorists who drive while fasting.

2) Fasting causes raised levels of acid in the stomach and it increases the volume of gastric juices. This can lead to gastric and oesophageal irritation and or/errosion.

3) Fasting followed by feasting causes wide swings in glucose levels. Swinging these levels over extended periods of time has been shown to be a contributing factor to the onset of adult diabetes.

The point I am making is that fasting is not 100% safe and practicable even for healthy people. For those of us living in the North or South, far from the equator, the negative effects become more apparent because the fast is longer. We must consider whether the prophet would have found this unreasonable.

For this reason, Muslims should consider effecting a flexible and balanced approach to the fast while maintaining a duty to carry the spirit of Ramadan through the reaches of the Earth We must remember the original reasons for the fast but we should remember that this tradition was given to the people of Mecca and Medina in the time of the first believers and before there were Muslims dispersed through the World.
ROFL

I PMed Sr. Almumina about this thread yesterday as soon as it appeared I, somehow, knew the real agenda or purpose behind it, but since our sister is far too nice and sincere she believes almost everyone is like that. But I am far too old, skeptical and the exact opposite (call me a cynic), I trust no one, until they have earned it.

PS. You need not concern yourself about our health, as the sick are excused.

Woodrow
09-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Just a reminder, this is an Islamic forum. Our main concern is for our Brother's and Sisters to follow their De'en to the best of their abilities. Concerns from non-Muslims can be posted in the comparative religion section. The remainder of the forum is for showing Islamic guidelines.

جوري
09-25-2007, 06:05 PM
I don't enjoy it, when folks mislead others.. unfortunately the thread was closed before I had a chance to reply... I didn't make the replies extensive in observance of Ramadan, should any one request, I have positively no reservations on going over Glycolysis and Gluconeogenesis, Glycogen Synthesis and Degradation, TCA Cycle, Fat Synthesis and Degradation, Electron Transport and Oxidative Phosphorylation, Pentose Phosphate Pathway, or Amino Acid Metabolism for the asking, and we can go over exactly how the body maintains homeostasis under normal physiological conditions and even under extreme stress---and then maybe we can re-examine the motive of folks who write bluff?

ok

I can make such a statements and back it up with medical research, and basic biochemistry, can you?

Unless you have diabetes your body will maintain normal glucose levels..

the acid that is secreted is stimulated by the distention of the stomach with food, it doesn't just get secreted for no reason, under normal physiological conditions!

I have never heard of such none sense.. pls show me peer reviewed articles where fasting is proven to contribute to diabetes!

fasting is 100% safe sometimes even for sick people.. there is a reason we keep people with pancreatitis NPO, there is also a reason we keep people after surgery NPO...

Though I am trying my earnest not to be annoyed this Ramadan.. do consider that there are physicians on this forum!

peace!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.