PDA

View Full Version : Acupuncture is best way to treat back pain

ahsan28
09-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Acupuncture is best way to treat back pain

By Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor
Published: 25 September 2007
Independent. UK

The ancient Chinese practice of acupuncture works better than anything modern medicine has devised for the treatment of back pain, scientists have concluded.

In trials among 1,100 patients with chronic lower back pain which had lasted for an average of eight years, almost half (47 per cent) of those who received acupuncture showed significant improvement – compared with barely a quarter (27 per cent) of those given conventional treatment. The effects lasted for at least six months, long after the treatment was completed.

The study was conducted by researchers from the University of Regensberg, in the spa town of Bad Abbach in Germany.

The findings add to evidence accumulated over the past 10 years suggesting that the 4,000-year-old practice of acupuncture is an effective treatment for back pain, which affects up to 70-85 per cent of the population at some point.

It will be seen as a victory for exponents of alternative medicine in their battle with orthodox medicine, although many physiotherapists trained in conventional techniques now also practise acupuncture.

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2996103.ece

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
09-26-2007, 01:35 AM
it may be a good alternative, but it is ridiculously expensive.

ahsan28
09-26-2007, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
it may be a good alternative, but it is ridiculously expensive.
:ooh: never knew that, just thought it appropriate to post for information of the members ^o)

snakelegs
09-26-2007, 02:46 AM
yes it is. and maybe it isn't expensive in all countries. also, probably many health insurance plans cover it. if this is the case, i would encourage people to try it for some things.
but for me, it was the price that kept me from trying it.
at least, unlike orthodox medicine, as far as i know accupuncture cannot do any harm.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
09-26-2007, 03:15 AM
:sl:

anybody knows if this is really useful ?

My dad is 70 + , has pain in knees .....can this treatment be useful for him ???

snakelegs
09-26-2007, 03:21 AM
i have a friend who had a terrible pain in her arm. she said the accupuncture took care of it, but she had to go many times.

Looking4Peace
09-26-2007, 03:44 AM
acupuncture is usefull for many things not just back pain. leg pain. vein problems. neck problems. adominal pain. even some say they go for menstural cramp relief and its better then any pain reliever a few people in my family have went and found relief for back pain when no other gave them relief. stay far away from chiropractors they do more harm then good as i saw from everyone who ever went to one. they are the quacks!!

wilberhum
09-26-2007, 08:23 PM
There is not "A single cause" of back pain.

I know some find relief by Acupuncture, I didn't.

Md Mashud
09-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Accupuncture works if you believe it works, simple. It is scientifically observed that it does have an effect on the brain - Not because it induces any drugs, but thought can be a great healer :).

Unfortunatly, I don't think it would work on me, simply due to the fact that I know the truth behind it, sucks to be me :(.

deen_2007
09-26-2007, 10:20 PM
arrrrghhhh...needles being poked into ur skin, makes me creep...

but hey, isnt all ancient methods of treatment , inc herbal, better? less side effects, more natural, no chemicals......hmmmmm....

deen_2007
09-26-2007, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud
Accupuncture works if you believe it works, simple. It is scientifically observed that it does have an effect on the brain - Not because it induces any drugs, but thought can be a great healer :).

Unfortunatly, I don't think it would work on me, simply due to the fact that I know the truth behind it, sucks to be me :(.
yep! :D

i was going to add......its all psychological!

most illness can be healed....if you think its healing....its mainly in the brain....LOL:happy:

InToTheRain
10-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Best way to combat Backpain is to make the muscles in the which support the spine stronger, that includes the bottom to the lower back. So get some HEAVY weights and start doing them squats , making sure you use your heels and not your toes, and VOILA its gone...Insha'Allah.

Salaam
10-01-2007, 10:56 PM
is Acupuncture the same is Hijama?

wilberhum
10-02-2007, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salaam
No, Acupuncture is a technique of inserting and manipulating filiform needles into "acupuncture points" on the body with the aim of restoring health and well-being,
(more)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acupuncture

bewildred
10-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Yup, there are as many back pains as pseudo-remedies. What works for some, doesn't for others. If you think it's all psychological, the couet method is miraculous, right????

Bewildred S.

جوري
10-02-2007, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
, but she had to go many times.
;D lol.. got to butter someone's bread ey.. if cured the first time around, then the 'acupuncture(er)' would close shop :okay:

peace!

ahsan28
10-03-2007, 11:56 PM
[QUOTE=PurestAmbrosia;837404 if cured the first time around, then the 'acupuncture(er)' would close shop :okay:

peace![/QUOTE]

:D This is the general tactics adopted by majority of the doctors. They make sure that the patients keep reporting on weekly basis.

جوري
10-04-2007, 01:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28
:D This is the general tactics adopted by majority of the doctors. They make sure that the patients keep reporting on weekly basis.
ah come on--- :offended:
acupuncture(rs) are not doctors.. in most regions there is one doctor per 400 patients.. docs take alot of abuse.. most people just don't realize it.. quaks make all the money and get all the glory :confused:

:w:

ahsan28
10-04-2007, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
ah come on--- :offended:
acupuncture(rs) are not doctors.. in most regions there is one doctor per 400 patients.. docs take alot of abuse.. most people just don't realize it.. quaks make all the money and get all the glory :confused:

:thumbs_up Agreed 98%, but give 2% to bad medical ethics on part of doctors also, five fingers are never equal :?

IbnAbdulHakim
10-04-2007, 03:19 PM
what if your back bleeds and stuff? :uuh: can acupuncture still help?

ahsan28
10-04-2007, 05:55 PM
In case of bleeding, one requires surgical treatment and not further pricking of the needles ;D

zhijama
02-10-2009, 10:20 PM
www.zhijama.co.uk

Snowflake
02-17-2009, 11:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salaam
Yes and no. Acupuncture involves using needles to unblock trapped Qi (chi) energy, while Hijamah uses suction to achieve the same result. Hijamah is much more effective than acupuncture as it stimulates deep tissue and removes toxins. Both treatments work on meridian points (acupuncture points on the body) only hijamah has multiple benefits.

shible
02-17-2009, 06:03 PM

Brothers and Sisters,

I have taken Acupunture treatment. it is really good.

I have heard of Pranic healing and it also seem to work fine.

I hope hijama should also be of same kind.

One thing common on the above treatments is:-

They keep us away from English(Alopathi) Medicines. which gives us an instant temporary relief but has side-effects on future.

Dr Al-Hajjam
03-03-2009, 04:36 AM

I am a Proficient Hijamah (cupping) therapist, BMAS trained and experienced Medical Acupuncturist and a fully GMC qualified practicing medical doctor.

Trained directly by world lead Hijamah trainer: Shaykh Ahmed Hafny (Egypt/KSA/UAE).

Practicing mainly in the West Midlands, Luton and East London areas, UK.

Contact NOW for FREE advice, information, past testimonials and appointments at very reasonable and affordable rates.

Discounts offered to students, unemployed brothers and group sessions to help revive this fading sunnah in the UK. Contact details for suitable female practitioners available on request.

Dr Ridwan Ahmed MB BS
07946 883 104
contact@hijamah-uk.com
www.hijamah-uk.com

* Revive the sunnah of Hijamah *

“I did not pass by any group on the night of Al Isra (night ascension), except that they said to me: "Oh Muhammad (SAW), tell your Ummah to do Hijamah.” (Ibn Majah, 3477)

Rasulullah (SAW) praised a person who performs cupping, saying “it removes blood, lightens the back and sharpens the eyesight.”(Jamul Warsaii, p.179)

Muslim Woman
03-03-2009, 07:49 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Dr Al-Hajjam

I am a Proficient Hijamah (cupping) therapist,
Do u know anyone who does it in Bangladesh ? Is it possible that we can do it at home by ourselves or is it risky ??

Dr Al-Hajjam
03-09-2009, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

Do u know anyone who does it in Bangladesh ? Is it possible that we can do it at home by ourselves or is it risky ??

Unfortunately, I do not have personal details of anyone in Bangladesh.

It is very risky if done at home or by someone who is not well trained. Please seek appropriate therapists when having hijamah - after all it does involve cutting into the skin, so it is an invasive procedure.

To UK members of this forum:

We have expanded out Hijamah (cupping) and medical acupuncture services across the UK by a recent collaboration of two doctors trained in both of these alternative therapies.

Please visit hijamah UK for local contact details and to book appointments. Group sessions are welcome.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.