/* */

PDA

View Full Version : This is not a very welcoming gathering place

hasbinistal
09-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Joining this site has not yet been a rewarding experience and this is a serious matter because the rewards I seek are noble ones called "Knowledge" and "Understanding"

Some of my posts here have been deleted

Other posts have been moved

Threads I have opened have been closed

I have been accused of having an agenda but the accusers do not say what the agenda is.

The constraints and censorship placed upon me here have not been properly explained and my requests for information on the matter have been "punished" and then ignored.

There has been nothing offensive or inappropriate in my participation on this board and the treatment I have experienced here has been authoritarian and misguided. When people are treated like this they feel roughed up and violated.

This is supposed to be an enlightened place.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NoName55
09-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Normally guests who want a warm welcome, they go to reception area and exchange pleasantries, they do not attack beliefs of the host nor do they endeavor to "reform" him, especially trying to play clever and making up statistics to impress. for example attempt to prove that Ramadhan caused accidents and diabetes, or starting thread number umpteenth on already existing topics.

how bright is that?

hasbinistal
09-27-2007, 06:04 PM
No beliefs have been attacked. Just explanations sought. And empirical knowledge shared. If you believe that this is an attack on you then we should talk about it and use reason in a dignified and noble manner. Using intellectual voilence by moving and deleting threads is not acceptable.

hasbinistal
09-27-2007, 06:16 PM
I did read the rules

And then I opened a thread to ask whether the eating of pork was forbidden beause of health reasons or because of spiritual reasons.

The thread was moved and closed

I had broken no rules

My question stands unanswered.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
09-27-2007, 06:23 PM
your question was answered:
Forbidden to you are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than God; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been eaten by a wild animal; unless you are able to slaughter it; that which is sacrificed on stone; also is the division by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed my favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, God is indeed Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

hasbinistal
09-27-2007, 06:27 PM
NO!

The question was not answered in the way I had expected.

I already know that there is a prohibition. What I want to know is the reason for it.

Can anybody offer the answer?

snakelegs
09-27-2007, 06:33 PM
it is forbidden because god says so. end of discussion.
but since there was nothing else to say on the subject, the thread was closed. so i don't think we need to go over it again here.

Pk_#2
09-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Hiiii welcome!!! :D BE GOOD and read snakelegs post ^^ a few times! if not more :p

hasbinistal
09-27-2007, 06:44 PM
It strikes me that the messenger was a wise man who asked questions and sought knowledge and reason. Does the messenger not expect this of us too? Are we not expected to strive for this and to question ourselves and out teachers so that we understand fully?

Pk_#2
09-27-2007, 06:45 PM
:D Ask away, sis wasup?

hasbinistal
09-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks,

Have to break my fast right now and people are waiting for me and I'm late already.

I rather hope that the thread is not blocked or deleted before I get back

islamirama
09-27-2007, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hasbinistal
NO!

I already know that there is a prohibition. What I want to know is the reason for it.

quite simply put, it's a garbage can of mother nature that eats anything and everything. Besides, you are what you eat, so do you want to be called a pig?:D

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dawaah/message/347

http://www.webziner.com/islam/whypork.htm

http://www.realtruth.org/articles/263-apt.html

Pigs don't have sweat glands; they wallow in mud or water to maintain a comfortable body temperature. Wallowing also protects them from sunburn and insect bites. They have been known to wallow in their own urine to keep cool.

Al-Zaara
09-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Hello,

It strikes me that the messenger was a wise man who asked questions and sought knowledge and reason. Does the messenger not expect this of us too? Are we not expected to strive for this and to question ourselves and out teachers so that we understand fully?
The last Prophet was indeed that, mashaAllah, salallahu aleyhi waselam.

But see, he didn't question the prohibition of pork. Exact reasons weren't given, but he trusted in God's command. The messenger does expect us to question, so that we will gain knowledge, but it is also expected from us who can't know more than what Allah has shown to us, to trust in God, in whatever situation possible and accept His commands and words as they are explained to us.

Allah knows best of the reasons.

I hope I helped somewhat.. If I said something wrong, then please correct me someone inshaAllah.

aamirsaab
09-27-2007, 07:06 PM
:sl:
Here is a very simplified answer:

That which is haram (unlawful, forbidden) is such simply because it is harmful.
Example 1; animals are killed quickly, for food, and not via electrical shocks since this causes MOST pain to the animal, thus is harmful.

Example 2; pig's roll around in their own feacal matter...I sure as heck wouldn't want to eat an animal that rolls around in it's own feacal matter. Feacal matter can cause illnesses - I'd rather die of hunger than dying due to consumption of pig crap, thank you very much. :p

Kittygyal
09-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Greetings.

Sister/brother you can't have everything how you want it to be. There's not only you but many more people on site which means PATIENCE!
Things like these do happen such as 'post deleted', many of mine have been deleted i don't start winging about unless there is a propper reason for why. Just go along with it and in your inbox the post you get saying your post been deleted you delete then p'ms and get over them.
It's month of Ramdan and muslims are focusing more on Islam instead of useless sections open also the admins/mods are fasting feel sorry for them man!

Just have fun and be happy. After all this is only a site man.

Sowiee if im being narky or something but it's true. so Soz

Peace

Pk_#2
09-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Nice answers IslamiRama Al Zaara and AamirSaab, i hope shes happier whe she gets back and see's your replies, she sure hates us :D

NoName55
09-27-2007, 07:14 PM
No beliefs have been attacked. Just explanations sought. And empirical knowledge shared. If you believe that this is an attack on you then we should talk about it and use reason in a dignified and noble manner. Using intellectual voilence by moving and deleting threads is not acceptable.
what was all this then?
http://www.islamicboard.com/fasting-...tml#post834399

When my Muslim friends were complaining about the length of their fast it did occur to me that they had missed one of the main points of Ramadan, which is to experience the hunger of others. I found the complaining distasteful and it showed an inadequacy of spirit.

It is not useful however, to make absolute and concrete statements that there is nothing "...unreasonable AT ALL about fasting.." Such statements are not supported by complete explanations of how the human body maintains its energy supply and the costs of depivation. There are many, many reasons why fasting can also be detrimental to health. I have given three illustrative examples below and all of them apply to healthy people.

1) Lower blood sugar causes tiredness, lack of concentration, irritability etc. Just consider how many extra accidents at work and on the road are being caused by tired and hungry motorists who drive while fasting.

2) Fasting causes raised levels of acid in the stomach and it increases the volume of gastric juices. This can lead to gastric and oesophageal irritation and or/errosion.

3) Fasting followed by feasting causes wide swings in glucose levels. Swinging these levels over extended periods of time has been shown to be a contributing factor to the onset of adult diabetes.

The point I am making is that fasting is not 100% safe and practicable even for healthy people. For those of us living in the North or South, far from the equator, the negative effects become more apparent because the fast is longer. We must consider whether the prophet would have found this unreasonable.

For this reason, Muslims should consider effecting a flexible and balanced approach to the fast while maintaining a duty to carry the spirit of Ramadan through the reaches of the Earth We must remember the original reasons for the fast but we should remember that this tradition was given to the people of Mecca and Medina in the time of the first believers and before there were Muslims dispersed through the World.

Woodrow
09-27-2007, 07:15 PM
I was the one who deleted and moved most of the posts in question. I will gladly answer any questions about my reasons through PMs..

This thread will be closed as soon as I know the OP has read this post.
I can be reached by PM simply by clicking on my name and clicking send Personal Message.

NoName55
09-27-2007, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Here is a very simplified answer:

That which is haram (unlawful, forbidden) is such simply because it is harmful.
Example 1; animals are killed quickly, for food, and not via electrical shocks since this causes MOST pain to the animal, thus is harmful.

Example 2; pig's roll around in their own feacal matter...I sure as heck wouldn't want to eat an animal that rolls around in it's own feacal matter. Faecal matter can cause illnesses - I'd rather die of hunger than dying due to consumption of pig crap, thank you very much. :p
:w:

I bet you have not been near a farm then, we had a few buffalos for milk and around a hundred free range hens for a few decades.

they were both as filthy as swine, buffalos liked to mud bathe in their own urine and excreta, and had to be scrubbed clean before milkin, and the chickens feasted on the mush that was made by the buffalos, as well as feasted on one another by taking chunks, also hunted pond frogs and small rodents.

my one question still remains unanswered;

why were Israelis prohibited more things than us (they were banned camel, some fats and many other things including a lot of seafood)?

Sr. snakelegs asked; what if tomorrow some doctor was to discover that pig is healthier (to eat than salmonella laden poultry, TB ridden cattle, scabied sheep) what are you going to do?
I'd rather die of hunger than dying due to consumption of pig crap
the only problem with that is that it would be suicide a far bigger offense

If My God says: do not do something, I obey and do not start an investigation in to His reasons, I just do it and spend time on more fruitful endeavours, rather than waste it needlessly since Allah most high knows better

believer
09-27-2007, 07:29 PM
I did read the rules

And then I opened a thread to ask whether the eating of pork was forbidden beause of health reasons or because of spiritual reasons.

The thread was moved and closed

I had broken no rules

My question stands unanswered.
Peace!

I hope I can answer your question...

First of all, God knows better what is good for man and what is bad for man. If God says so, then it is supposed to be right... however, Man was given the gift of free will and the gift of intellect.

Just recently, Scientific findings proved that there are worms in Pigs Meat that cannot be seen by the naked eye... (close to invisible) and these worms cannot die by normal cooking... as if it is immuned to high temperatures. Not only are these worms found in PIgs... it is also found on Dogs, and most Fanged and Clawed Creatures. (I believe - this is the answer why...)

The prime reason why it's prohibited is due to the ill effects it can give to the human body. Now, if the human body is sick - naturally, the spiritual body is affected.

It's really difficult to pray when one is sick. I remembered one time I had an excruciating headache - I would rather go to sleep than pray DZHUR salah.

I believe there is nothing supernatural about it... but it is actually a practical thing to avoid these foods that the Bible and the Qur'an recommended us to avoid.

In case of emergency by the way, you may eat pork... if it's a matter of survival. But eating it out of whim or pleasure would violate one's effort to purify one's soul... another effect would be that...

Eating pork/pig also makes one more sexually active... - also bad for the spirit.

I hope this answered your question. :-)

Kittygyal
09-27-2007, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55

I bet you have not been near a farm then, we had a few water buffalos for milk and around a hundered free range hens for a few decades.

they were both as filthy as swine, buffalos liked to mud bathe in their own urine and excreta, and had to be scrubbed clean before milkin, and the chickens feasted on the mush that was made by the buffalos, as well as feasted on one another by taking chunks, also hunted pond frogs and small rodents.

why were Israelis prohibitted more things than us (they were banned camel, some fats and my other things)?

Sr. snakelegs asked; what if tomorrow some doctor was to discover that pig is healthier (to eat than salmonella laden poultry, TB ridden kattle, scabied sheep) what are you going to do?

LOL BRO AHAHA ;D ;D ;D

aamirsaab
09-27-2007, 07:40 PM

I bet you have not been near a farm then, we had a few water buffalos for milk and around a hundered free range hens for a few decades.
Not for some time atleast. Though, I do remember the distinct smell of farm. And how I loathed it.

Yucky.

why were Israelis prohibitted more things than us (they were banned camel, some fats and my other things)?
No idea, mate.

Sr. snakelegs asked; what if tomorrow some doctor was to discover that pig is healthier (to eat than salmonella laden poultry, TB ridden kattle, scabied sheep) what are you going to do?
Still wouldn't touch the pig meat. I'm a difficult person like that :p

the only problem with that is that it would be suicide a far bigger offense
:'(

NoName55
09-27-2007, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Not for some time at-least. Though, I do remember the distinct smell of farm. And how I loathed it.

Yucky.

No idea, mate.

Still wouldn't touch the pig meat. I'm a difficult person like that :p

:'(
lol don't let me put you off battery chickens, since you are in UK, it should be ok as they are fed grain and their beaks are snipped to stop cannibalism wasalaam alaikum

believer
09-27-2007, 07:49 PM
NO!

I seem to have the impression that you wanted to hear both the scientific and the supernatural reason why these type of food are prohibited.

Previously I mentioned some physical reasons why it's prohibited due to the ill effects it can cause to the human body.

Now, about supernatural reasons... OK, if an animal is slaughtered violently and was made to suffer... it died with some energy of violence, suffering and hardship... these energy - according to new age thinkers have an effect to the human body. Vegetarians who practice Yoga or New age believe that animals who suffered before death are not really good to eat... well, they believe all animals suffered before their death - this is probably why they stick to eating only vegetables... However, the Qur'an doesn't recomend to be living in extremes... it actually recomends the moderate way, a balanced diet, and not only in dieting but in all the aspects of ones' life - one should always practice moderation.

With regards to the Camel, The She Camel which was garlanded was ordered by Allah to be sacred and should be left alone to graze in the desert. It was meant to test te obidience of the people... Because, this is God right over us, to keep us under trials and testing all the time.

Just life an product development engineer who makes a new car, he will subject the car under continuous tests... even crash tests in order to make it better or in order to find out its defects and many more reasons.

We can only complain or be patient... only two things to do. The former is recomended by Satan... the latter is prescribed by Allah, the angels and the Believers. The choice is all yours... consider it your option.

again, there is no compulsion for you to do or not do what is recomended or prohibited... and it is always healthy to seek for the reasons why. and in the process of our search we find some difficulties - then take it as part of the journey of your search... everything is temporary and so are these obstructions in finding your answers.

At the end of the tunnel, there is always a light. Unless you stop in the middle. ...keep seeking.

Peace.

NoName55
09-27-2007, 07:58 PM
it seems Mine and Sr.Snakelegs questions are going to remain unanswered in thread after thread, Probably we are invisible to these "ulemaa" http://www.islamicboard.com/introduc...tml#post835304

جوري
09-27-2007, 08:10 PM
I have actually made a seperate post under health and sci, the day before yesterday addressing some of the points brought up in our dear lady's questionnaire/ and or objections to fast-- with no solid medical research to back them up-- and it too was lost.. I didn't make a public cry out of it, as bros. Woodrow told me that they had an LI malfunction with posts lost in the process.

I don't feel like re-writing what I had written that day, because it took quite a chunk of my time, however for those interested I have enclosed a medical biochem book on chapter 31.. the book itself is expansive and needs to be integrated with the other topics on metabolism for one to understand the whole clinical picture, but for those interested in skimming over and just understanding the intricacies of the human body.. this is written from a medical point of view not a scientific one and the difference really is the clinical approach to the subject.. Any questions on the topic feel free to ask specific q's
gluconeogenesis and maintenance of blood glucose during fasting

snakelegs
09-27-2007, 08:13 PM

If My God says: do not do something, I obey and do not start an investigation in to His reasons, I just do it and spend time on more fruitful endeavours, rather than waste it needlessly since Allah most highh knows better
i don't know why this is so complicated.
after all, a muslim is one who submits to god. no need for analysis or health studies, etc etc

NoName55
09-27-2007, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
I have actually made a separate post under health and sci, the day before yesterday addressing some of the points brought up in our dear lady's questionnaire/ and or objections to fast-- with no solid medical research to back them up-- and it too was lost.. I didn't make a public cry out of it, as bros. Woodrow told me that they had an LI malfunction with posts lost in the process.

I don't feel like re-writing what I had written that day, because it took quite a chunk of my time, however for those interested I have enclosed a medical biochem book on chapter 31.. the book itself is expansive and needs to be integrated with the other topics on metabolism for one to understand the whole clinical picture, but for those interested in skimming over and just understanding the intricacies of the human body.. this is written from a medical point of view not a scientific one and the difference really is the clinical approach to the subject.. Any questions on the topic feel free to ask specific q's
gluconeogenesis and maintenance of blood glucose during fasting

your exellent reply is safely merged with the nonsensical thread @ http://www.islamicboard.com/fasting-...tml#post834574

format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i don't know why this is so complicated.
after all, a Muslim is one who submits to God. no need for analysis or health studies, etc etc
jazak illah khairan (I was starting to feel rather lonesome) wa salaam

Woodrow
09-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Being a revert and having been a farmer off and on I have raised pigs. One point I seldom see mentioned is you can not kill a pig, except very young pigs in a halal or human manner. One reason they do not have a well defined neck. another because of the toughness of their skin and the build up of protective fat, they are an extremely difficult animal to kill and I have yet to see anybody ever slaughter one without inflicting severe pain and pure terror upon them.

Even if pigs were halal I would not eat pork unless it was an absolute requirement for me to. Not because of fear of disease or anything, I just could not bring myself to eat something that suffers so much during slaughter.

Just a small example when I was raising them (I raised pot-belly pets that are small and raised for pets not food) on occasion I would have to put one down. I would use my .357 magnum, if you are familiar with fire arms you would know that can kill nearly every animal that walks the earth with one bullet. I t would always take from 2 to 3 bullets shooting them in the head at close range and with them screaming and trying to get away during the whole time.

So for me a non religious reason not to eat pork is because it is too cruel and barbaric to kill pigs.

But, in spite of all of the reasons, scientific, emotional and religious there is only one reason need.

Allah(swt) has forbidden it. It would make no difference if they were the healthiest, most nutritious food on Earth they are forbidden, no other reason or explanation is needed.

NoName55
09-28-2007, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Being a revert and having been a farmer off and on I have raised pigs. One point I seldom see mentioned is you can not kill a pig, except very young pigs in a halal or human manner. One reason they do not have a well defined neck. another because of the toughness of their skin and the build up of protective fat, they are an extremely difficult animal to kill and I have yet to see anybody ever slaughter one without inflicting severe pain and pure terror upon them.

Even if pigs were halal I would not eat pork unless it was an absolute requirement for me to. Not because of fear of disease or anything, I just could not bring myself to eat something that suffers so much during slaughter.

Just a small example when I was raising them (I raised pot-belly pets that are small and raised for pets not food) on occasion I would have to put one down. I would use my .357 magnum, if you are familiar with fire arms you would know that can kill nearly every animal that walks the earth with one bullet. I t would always take from 2 to 3 bullets shooting them in the head at close range and with them screaming and trying to get away during the whole time.

So for me a non religious reason not to eat pork is because it is too cruel and barbaric to kill pigs.

But, in spite of all of the reasons, scientific, emotional and religious there is only one reason needed.

Allah(swt) has forbidden it. It would make no difference if they were the healthiest, most nutritious food on Earth they are forbidden, no other reason or explanation is needed.

the closest I ever came to killing a pig was, when we would take potshots at wild boar to chase them away from our cornfields (never seen or handled a domestic pig except seeing them on TV ).

Looking4Peace
09-28-2007, 02:05 AM
That is sad and I have watched videos. Indeed they are the hardest animal to kill. This may be another reason it was commanded not to eat them. Chickens are quite easy to slaughter and die very quick as are most birds. I did it once as an experience ( a chickenand of course we were going to eat it) and that alone freaked me out. I could never imagine killing a pig. i would have a hard time any bigger animals I dont even like to eat beef really. On very rare occassions I will.

Looking4Peace
09-28-2007, 02:06 AM

the closest I ever came to killing a pig was, when we would take potshots at wild boar to chase them away from our cornfields (never seen or handled a domestic pig except seeing them on TV ).

:thumbs_do killing anything for a reason other then neccesity and food is:mad:

جوري
09-28-2007, 02:10 AM
what is wrong with pigs? well--
here is one of many reasons...

Karin Leder, MBBS, FRACP, MPH, DTMH
Peter F Weller, MD, FACP

UpToDate performs a continuous review of over 375 journals and other resources. Updates are added as important new information is published. The literature review for version 15.1 is current through December 2006; this topic was last changed on October 19, 2006. The next version of UpToDate (15.2) will be released in June 2007.

INTRODUCTION — Cysticercosis is caused by the metacestode or larval stage of Taenia solium, the pork tapeworm. Clinical syndromes related to this parasite are divided into neurocysticercosis (NCC) and extraneural cysticercosis.

The clinical features and diagnosis of cysticercosis will be reviewed here. The epidemiology, life cycle, transmission and treatment of this infection are discussed separately. (See "Epidemiology and transmission of cysticercosis" and see "Treatment and prevention of cysticercosis" and see "Intestinal tapeworms").

PATHOGENESIS — Cysticerci that enter the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) are initially viable but do not cause much inflammation in surrounding tissues; this phase of infection is usually asymptomatic. The host develops a state of immune tolerance to the parasite, and cysticerci can remain in this stage for many years.

There are a number of postulated mechanisms underlying this immune tolerance. Taenia parasites have elaborate means of evading complement-mediated destruction. Metacestodes elaborate a variety of substances (paramyosin, taeniaestatin, sulfated polysaccharides) that either inhibit or divert complement pathways away from the parasite [1]. Additionally, humoral antibodies do not kill the mature metacestode. Taeniaestatin and other poorly defined factors may also interfere with lymphocyte proliferation and macrophage function thus, inhibiting normal cellular immune defenses [1].

Clinical manifestations frequently develop when an inflammatory response develops around a degenerating cysticercus. It is not known what triggers this degeneration, but after a variable number of years, the cyst seems to lose its ability to modulate the host immune response [2].

NEUROCYSTICERCOSIS — Postmortem studies in endemic areas suggest that 80 percent of neurocysticercal infections are asymptomatic. Consequently, many cases are never diagnosed or are found accidentally during imaging procedures.

If symptoms are present, these are mainly due to mass effect, an inflammatory response, or obstruction of the foramina and ventricular system of the brain [3]. The symptoms of NCC depend upon the stage, site, and number of cysticerci [4]. The most common symptoms include seizures, focal neurological signs, and intracranial hypertension [5,6].

The peak of NCC has been estimated to occur three to five years after infection, but it can be delayed for >30 years [7]. After a variable period of degeneration, cysts can become calcified and may then become inactive. Once they are calcified, they may cease to cause symptoms or may serve as a focus for epileptic activity. Patients frequently have cysts in more than one location, and it is not uncommon to have active and inactive cysts present in the same patient [8].

NCC can be further classified into parenchymal or extraparenchymal infection, the latter of which includes intraventricular, subarachnoid, or spinal involvement. Infection and disease are also classified in terms of parasite viability, which result in diverse clinical entities [9].

Parenchymal cysts — Active parenchymal disease is the most common form of NCC and is present in >60 percent of patients. In the brain parenchyma, cysticerci tend to lodge in the cerebral cortex or the basal ganglia. The cysts are usually <1 cm in diameter but can be much larger.

Generalized or focal seizures are a common manifestation of symptomatic disease [2,10-12]. In many endemic countries, NCC is the most common cause of adult-onset seizures [13,14]. The risk of seizures in seropositive individuals is two to three times higher than in seronegative controls [15].

Neurologic examinations of patients with neurocysticercosis are usually normal. Severe headaches are a common presenting feature. Symptoms of elevated intracranial pressure, such as nausea and vomiting, may develop. Intellectual deterioration and psychiatric presentations also occur. Rarely do these patients have fever, signs of meningeal irritation, or focal findings on neurologic examination.

Calcific cysts — Parenchymal cysts provoke an immune response that often leads to cystic degeneration, granuloma formation, and calcification. In endemic populations, punctate calcifications are the most frequent finding on neuroimaging of the brain [16-18]. These lesions were once thought to be clinically inactive, but growing evidence suggests they are an important cause of seizures and focal neurologic symptoms [19]: There is a high prevalence of typical cerebral calcifications in patients with seizures or epilepsy in the absence of other etiologies. A positive correlation has been found between endemic populations with increased proportions of calcifications and seizure activity. There is an increased risk of seizure activity in patients with a single calcific granuloma.

Calcific cysts may also exhibit periodic or episodic perilesional edema that is best visualized on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain as bright signal with fluid attenuated inversion recovery (FLAIR) or T2 sequences; the cysts typically enhance with contrast [19-22]. Perilesional edema may be associated with severe symptoms including seizures and focal neurologic deficits but may also be without any overt symptoms.

Cysticercal encephalitis — An intense immune response can occur in patients with massive numbers of cysts in the brain parenchyma, resulting in encephalitis and diffuse brain edema. This syndrome can manifest as fever, headache, and hydrocephalus, with vomiting, impaired consciousness, reduced visual acuity, and seizures. This reaction can occur spontaneously, or it can be provoked by therapy that causes a large number of cysts to degenerate simultaneously. For unknown reasons, this presentation is most common in children and young females.

Subarachnoid cysts — Cysticerci that lodge in the subarachnoid space may grow to 10 cm or larger since they are not limited by pressure from the brain parenchyma [13]. This can result in meningeal inflammation and abnormal thickening of the leptomeninges at the base of the brain. In turn, this can lead to entrapment of the cranial nerves arising from the brainstem. This entrapment can result in visual field defects and cranial nerve palsies. Hydrocephalus can also develop from arachnoiditis and secondary occlusion of the foramen of Luschka or Magendie. In one study of neurocysticercosis in Mexico, this clinical presentation was more common in adults than in children, who were more likely to have a single parenchymal cyst [6].

Inflammation can also involve the walls of blood vessels, leading to a proliferative angiitis and vascular obstruction with secondary cerebral infarcts [23]. Focal neurologic motor signs, ataxia, and sensory dysfunction can ensue; this presentation tends to be associated with a relatively poor prognosis.

Racemose cysticercosis — Racemose cysticercosis is characterized by proliferating lobulated cysts without scolices, which are usually found in the ventricular system and subarachnoid space. These cysticerci undergo disproportionate growth of their membrane, with extensions of membranes that group in clusters, resembling bunches of grapes. While infrequent, this is one of the most serious presentations of NCC since it is often associated with arachnoiditis, basilar meningitis, and hydrocephalus.

Ventricular cysts — In approximately 10 to 20 percent of patients, cysticerci develop in the ventricular system, either as free floating cysts in the ventricular cavity or attached to the choroid plexus. The cysticerci in the ventricles can elicit inflammatory responses leading to granular ependymitis, with consequent obstructive hydrocephalus and increased intracranial pressure of gradual or acute onset. Associated symptoms can include seizures, focal neurologic signs, or dementia. Mobile cysts in the fourth ventricle can occasionally cause intermittent obstruction, leading to episodes of sudden loss of consciousness related to head movements (Bruns' syndrome) [24].

Spinal cysticercosis — Involvement of the spinal cord occurs in approximately one to three percent of cases of NCC [25]. Although spinal neurocysticercosis is relatively rare, it represents a distinct clinical entity which can have devastating consequences, due to the limited size of the spinal canal.

Spinal cysticerci can be intramedullary or located in the subarachnoid space. They can lead to inflammatory and demyelinating changes in the peripheral nerve roots. Patients typically present with radicular pain or paresthesias and may also have sphincter disturbances. Neurological deficits vary with the location of the lesion and may not be distinguishable from other spinal cord lesions on clinical grounds alone. Lesions in the thoracic segments are most common.

EXTRANEURAL CYSTICERCOSIS — Extraneural cysticercosis typically involves the eye, muscle, or subcutaneous tissue. It is not known whether oncospheres actively migrate to muscle, subcutaneous tissues, and the brain, or whether they enter tissues passively during high blood flow [2].

Ocular cysticercosis — Ocular cysticercosis occurs in approximately one to three percent of all infections [15]. Patients with ocular cysticercosis may have parasites located in the subretinal space or vitreous humor. These are often asymptomatic, but inflammation around degenerating cysticerci can threaten vision by causing chorioretinitis, retinal detachment, or vasculitis. Parasites may also be present in the anterior chamber or may affect the conjunctiva or extraocular muscles. Ocular cysticercosis should be excluded by a proper ophthalmologic examination in all patients with NCC prior to initiating therapy.

Subcutaneous and intramuscular cysticercosis — Cysticerci can develop in almost any body site, but tend to have a predilection for muscle or subcutaneous tissues. Cysticerci at these sites are usually asymptomatic, but the patient may notice subcutaneous, pea-like or walnut-sized nodules. Subcutaneous nodules are more common in patients from Asia and Africa than from Latin America.

In cases of major muscle involvement, acute myopathy can develop. Both subcutaneous and intramuscular cysts often undergo calcification and may be detected incidentally when radiographs are performed for unrelated problems. (See "MRI versus CT scanning" below).

Cysts have also been found in the heart. Depending upon the location of the cysts, these may be asymptomatic or may result in arrhythmias and/or conduction abnormalities [8].

DIAGNOSTIC TESTS — The diagnosis of neurocysticercosis is often based on clinical presentation, neuroimaging abnormaIities, and serology [5,26]. Occasionally, more invasive procedures, such as a brain biopsy, are required.

The extent of diagnostic work-up that is needed may depend upon the clinical presentation [27]. In an asymptomatic patient, an incidental finding during testing for unrelated reasons may not warrant further diagnostic procedures, except for serologic testing. A trial of antiparasitic therapy may be administered and the patient monitored to see if there has been an adequate response. However, a patient who presents with seizures or neurologic symptoms may require further investigation. We recommend a brain biopsy to confirm the diagnosis in symptomatic patients with equivocal serology and radiologic tests; however, this is often not feasible in countries where the infection is endemic.

Routine laboratory tests — Most patients with cysticercosis have no specific diagnostic finding on routine blood counts and liver function tests. Individuals with cysticercosis often have no peripheral eosinophilia unless a cyst is leaking, in which case the eosinophilia may be pronounced.

Stool examinations can be performed; however, eggs are typically not found, since the majority of people diagnosed with cysticercosis do not have a viable T. solium tapeworm in their intestines.

Imaging — Imaging is an important modality for diagnosing neurocysticercosis and extraneural cysticercosis.

&#160;&#160;Radiography — Plain radiography can be helpful in identifying neurocysticercosis or extraneural cysticercosis. Calcified cysticercal lesions in muscle or subcutaneous tissue may be seen on routine skeletal radiographs or intracranial calcifications may be seen on skull x-rays.

&#160;&#160;Brain imaging — Any case of suspected NCC should be evaluated with a computed tomographic (CT) scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The appearance can depend upon the location and stage of the lesion(s) and upon the host immune response. In parenchymal NCC, viable cysts are seen as nonenhancing hypodense lesions. Degenerating cysts may enhance with contrast and may have variable degrees of surrounding edema and flare. Old cysts often appear as calcified lesions.

Intraventricular cysts, subarachnoid cysts, leptomeningeal enhancement, or hydrocephalus with ventricular enlargement, can also be detected with cerebral imaging, depending upon the location of the lesions. In addition, complications such as cerebral infarcts may be visible. Individuals may have giant cysts measuring >10 cm and/or may have multiple cysts, sometimes numbering >50 to 100.

In some patients, the radiologic appearance is specific for cysticercosis. The pathognomonic lesion is one in which a scolex can be identified as a mural nodule within the cyst. There will often be other areas of punctate calcification seen in association. However, the appearance on imaging by CT or MRI is frequently nonspecific, and it may not be possible to differentiate NCC from other brain lesions, such as abscesses or malignancies.

Additional imaging may be helpful in making the diagnosis of neurocysticercosis. In a study performed in Peru, 25 patients with calcified intraparenchymal brain lesions underwent a non-contrast CT scan of the thighs; 13 (52 percent) had one or more muscle calcifications consistent with extraneural cysticercosis [28]. Patients with a positive CT scan for muscle calcifications also had plain radiographs of their thighs to compare both methods; only 6 of 13 had visible calcifications on x-ray.

CT scanning is also useful in the diagnosis of cysticercal infestation of extraocular muscles [29].

&#160;&#160;MRI versus CT scanning — MRI is preferred over CT scanning, since MRI is more sensitive in detecting small lesions, brainstem or intraventricular lesions, perilesional edema around calcific lesions, and is better at visualizing the scolex [30-34]. MRI is also more useful in evaluating degenerative changes in the parasite [35,36]. However, CT scanning is cheaper and is better at detecting small areas of calcification.

A reasonable practical approach is to perform a CT scan first followed by an MRI in patients with inconclusive findings or in those patients with negative CT scans where a strong clinical suspicion of cysticercosis persists [13,37].

For spinal cord lesions, MRI is better at detecting lesions than CT. Myelography may also be helpful in patients with spinal cord involvement.

Serology — All patients with suspected cysticercosis should have serologic testing. As with all serologic tests, results need to be interpreted with caution in individuals from highly endemic areas where a positive serology may be due to past infection and may not prove current active disease. Negative serology lowers the suspicion for cysticercosis, but does not exclude the diagnosis in patients with a compatible clinical presentation and radiographic findings.

A number of different serologic tests have been developed. Some assays detect anticysticercal antibodies, and others identify cysticercal antigens. Some can only be performed on blood, while others can be done on other fluids, such as CSF or saliva [38]. Various techniques can be used, including enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), complement fixation (CF), radioimmunoassay, hemagglutination or immunoblot. The sensitivity and specificity of all these tests can be influenced by the stage of disease, site of infection, and host immune response.

In general, the test of choice is the enzyme-linked immunoelectrotransfer blot assay.

&#160;&#160;Enzyme linked immunoelectrotransfer blot assay — An enzyme-linked immunoelectrotransfer blot (EITB) assay is the test of choice for detecting anticysticercal antibodies [39]. This assay uses affinity-purified glycoprotein antigens and has higher sensitivity (83 to 100 percent) and specificity (93 to 98 percent) than older ELISA tests [40,41].

However, the diagnostic performance of the EITB can vary in different patient populations depending on the activity of the cyst and number of lesions [42,43]. As an example, in a study of patients with pathologically confirmed neurocysticercosis, 94 percent with two or more lesions had detectable antibodies by EITB compared to only 28 percent with a single lesion [43]. Patients with only calcified cysts (single or multiple) were also less likely to have EITB-positive results than were those with noncalcified, enhancing lesions.

The EITB assay can be performed on serum or CSF but has a higher sensitivity on serum [43-45]. Antibodies can persist for years after the death of parasites, so a positive antibody test does not necessarily indicate the presence of live parasites or active disease [15].

&#160;&#160;Serologic testing on CSF — Serologic testing for anticysticercal antibodies or parasite antigens can also be performed on CSF specimens. A study that used ELISA for the detection of CSF antigen in patients who had a CT or serum EITB positive for cysticercosis showed the sensitivity of this assay to be 86 percent [46]. Levels of parasite antigen were positively correlated with the number of live cysts detected by CT and were also proportional to the number and intensity of antibody reactions recognized by the EITB test. In contrast, there was a negative correlation with the number of enhancing lesions revealed by CT, supporting the hypothesis that enhancing lesions correspond to a terminal, moribund stage of the parasite.

Antigen testing — Newer assays using different, more purified T. solium antigens are being developed and are applicable both in immunoblot and ELISA assays. Some studies using these highly purified antigens have suggested that the sensitivity is as high using ELISA as with immunoblot, although the specificity is generally better with immunoblot assays [47,48]. One study reported on detection of IgG in CSF by ELISA assay using newer specific antigens [49]. It showed the ELISA sensitivity to be 85 to 100 percent and the specificity to be 98 to 100 percent. Another study using ELISA assays with synthetic and recombinant antigens, demonstrated high sensitivity (90 to 95 percent with serum and 90 to 100 percent with CSF) and high specificity (90 to 100 percent). However, optimal purified antigens have not been defined, and recombinant antigens are not yet commercially available [50-53].

Antigen detection tests are also being developed that detect live parasites. Studies using monoclonal antibody-based ELISA tests have shown detection of circulating antigen to be both sensitive and useful in monitoring patients following therapy, with a high degree of correlation between circulating antigen detection and CT scanning results during follow-up [52,54-56]. Parasite antigen levels typically fall by three months after successful treatment.

CSF examinations — A lumbar puncture for CSF examination is usually not necessary for the diagnosis of NCC. This procedure is also contraindicated when there is a suspicion of increased intracranial pressure.

If a lumbar puncture is performed, examination of the CSF typically shows a normal glucose concentration and protein and white cell counts that are usually only mildly elevated. CSF eosinophilia can be present and prominent on examination of cerebral spinal fluid in individuals who have leaking cysts that communicate with the CSF [57,58]. These individuals may be at risk of developing chemical arachnoiditis. The differential diagnosis of an eosinophilic CSF pleocytosis includes coccidioidomycosis and angiostrongyloidiasis. (See "Eosinophilic meningitis").

Pathology — Patients suspected of NCC who have a single brain lesion with no characteristic scolex and who have negative serology can be managed either with presumptive therapy or with a biopsy. The decision will depend upon the likelihood of the diagnosis (including epidemiologic characteristics that influence the pretest probability of NCC), the chances of missing other diagnoses that need urgent therapy, and the cyst location.

Occasionally, the diagnosis of extraneural cysticercosis is made via excisional biopsy of a skin or muscle lesion. The cysticercus will appear as a white fluid-filled bladder about 5 to 10 mm in diameter containing a solid 2 mm long larval tapeworm scolex.

Polymerase chain reaction — No polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests are available for the diagnosis of cysticercosis. A PCR for diagnosis of taeniasis from human fecal samples has been developed but is not yet commercially available [59].

DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA — A set of diagnostic criteria has been proposed based upon objective clinical, imaging, immunologic, and epidemiologic data [60,61]. The criteria are stratified on the basis of their diagnostic strength as follows: Absolute criteria: Histologic demonstration of the parasite, cystic lesions showing the scolex on CT or MRI, and direct visualization of ocular parasites by fundoscopic examination Major criteria: Lesions highly suggestive of neurocysticercosis on neuroimaging, positive serum enzyme-linked immunoblot for anticysticercal antibodies, resolution of cysts after therapy after antiparasitic therapy, and spontaneous resolution of small single enhancing lesions Minor criteria: Lesions compatible with neurocysticercosis on neuroimaging, clinical manifestations suggestive of neurocysticercosis, positive CSF ELISA for anticysticercal antibodies or cysticercal antigens, and cysticercosis outside the CNS. Epidemiologic criteria: Evidence of a household contact with Taenia solium infection, individuals coming from or living in an area where cysticercosis is endemic, and history of frequent travel to disease-endemic areas.

Combinations of these criteria permit two levels of diagnostic certainty: Definitive diagnosis: Patients who have one absolute criterion or two major plus one minor and one epidemiologic criterion Probable diagnosis: Patients who have one major plus two minor criteria, one major plus one minor and one epidemiologic criterion, or three minor plus one epidemiologic criterion.

These criteria are complex and still require proper validation [62].

SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS Cysticercosis is estimated to affect approximately 50 million people worldwide. Cysticercosis is endemic in many areas, particularly in Central and South America, sub-Saharan Africa, India, and Asia. The prevalence of NCC varies within these countries and is often higher in places where pigs are raised. (See "Epidemiology and transmission of cysticercosis"). Humans develop cysticercosis by ingestion of eggs of T. solium, which invade the bowel wall and disseminate hematogenously to other tissues. (See "Epidemiology and transmission of cysticercosis"). Clinical syndromes are divided into neurocysticercosis (NCC) and extraneural cysticercosis. Postmortem studies in endemic areas suggest that most neurocysticercal infections are asymptomatic. Clinical manifestations include seizures, encephalitis, visual field defects, hydrocephalus, and cranial nerve palsies. Extraneural cysticercosis typically involves the eye, muscle, or subcutaneous tissue. (See "Neurocysticercosis" above). For initial evaluation, we recommend CT imaging and serology with an enzyme-linked immunoelectrotransfer blot assay. If the CT scan is negative or non-specific, we recommend MRI imaging due to its increased sensitivity in detecting small lesions, brainstem or intraventricular lesions, and better visualization of the scolex. No routine laboratory studies are necessary; patients often have no peripheral eosinophilia unless a cyst is leaking (See "Diagnostic tests" above). As with all serologic tests, results need to be interpreted with caution in individuals from highly endemic areas where a positive serology may be due to past infection and may not prove current active disease. The sensitivity of this test depends on the activity of the cyst and the number of lesions. Diagnostic criteria have been proposed which include clinical, imaging, immunologic, and epidemiologic data. The strength of these criteria are divided into absolute, major, minor, and epidemiologic categories that enable either a definitive or probable diagnosis of neurocysticercosis. However, these criteria are complex and still require proper validation. (See "Diagnostic criteria" above). Serological screening of the contacts of patients should also be considered in the management of cysticercosis. This is particularly relevant in nonendemic countries when transmission may have occurred within a household (eg, via food prepared by a household worker from an endemic country).

Use of UpToDate is subject to the Subscription and License Agreement. REFERENCES 1.&#160;White, A, Robinson, P, et al. Taenia solium cysticercosis: host-parasite interactions and the host immune response. Chem Immunol 1997; 66:209.
2.&#160;White, AC Jr. Neurocysticercosis: a major cause of neurological disease worldwide. Clin Infect Dis 1997; 24:101.
3. &#160;Gordon, E, Cartwright, M, Avasarala, J. Ventricular obstruction from neurocysticercosis. Arch Neurol 2005; 62:1018.
4. &#160;Takayanagui, O. Parasitol Int. 2006; 55:S111.
5.&#160;Del Brutto, OH. Neurocysticercosis. Semin Neurol 2005; 25:243.
6.&#160;Saenz, B, Ruiz-Garcia, M, Jimenez, E, et al. Neurocysticercosis: clinical, radiologic, and inflammatory differences between children and adults. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2006; 25:801.
7.&#160;Flisser, A. Taeniasis and cysticercosis due to Taenia solium. Prog Clin Parasitol 1994; 4:77.
8.&#160;Botero, D, Tanowitz, HB, Weiss, LM, Wittner, M. Taeniasis and cysticercosis. Infect Dis Clin North Am 1993; 7:683.
9.&#160;Patel, R, Jha, S, Yadav, RK. Pleomorphism of the clinical manifestations of neurocysticercosis. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2006; 100:134.
10.&#160;Medina, MT, Rosas, E, Rubio-Donnadieu, F, Sotelo, J. Neurocysticercosis as the main cause of late-onset epilepsy in Mexico. Arch Intern Med 1990; 150:325.
11.&#160;Garcia, HH, Gilman, R, Martinez, M, et al. Cysticercosis as a major cause of epilepsy in Peru. The Cysticercosis Working Group in Peru (CWG). Lancet 1993; 341:197.
12.&#160;Del Brutto, OH, Santibanez, R, Noboa, CA, et al. Epilepsy due to neurocysticercosis: analysis of 203 patients. Neurology 1992; 42:389.
13.&#160;Garcia, HH, Del Brutto, OH. Taenia solium cysticercosis. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2000; 14:97.
14.&#160;Montano, SM, Villaran, MV, Ylquimiche, L, et al. Neurocysticercosis: association between seizures, serology, and brain CT in rural Peru. Neurology 2005; 65:229.
15.&#160;Garcia, HH, Gonzalez, AE, Evans, CA, Gilman, RH. Taenia solium cysticercosis. Lancet 2003; 362:547.
16.&#160;Sanchez, AL, Lindback, J, Schantz, PM, et al. A population-based, case-control study of Taenia solium taeniasis and cysticercosis. Ann Trop Med Parasitol 1999; 93:247.
17.&#160;Cruz, ME, Schantz, PM, Cruz, I, et al. Epilepsy and neurocysticercosis in an Andean community. Int J Epidemiol 1999; 28:799.
18.&#160;Garcia-Noval, J, Moreno, E, de Mata, F, et al. An epidemiological study of epilepsy and epileptic seizures in two rural Guatemalan communities. Ann Trop Med Parasitol 2001; 95:167.
19.&#160;Nash, TE, Del Brutto, OH, Butman, JA, et al. Calcific neurocysticercosis and epileptogenesis. Neurology 2004; 62:1934.
20.&#160;Sheth, TN, Pillon, L, Keystone, J, Kucharczyk, W. Persistent MR contrast enhancement of calcified neurocysticercosis lesions. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1998; 19:79.
21.&#160;Nash, TE, Patronas, NJ. Edema associated with calcified lesions in neurocysticercosis. Neurology 1999; 53:777.
22.&#160;Nash, TE, Pretell, J, Garcia, HH. Calcified cysticerci provoke perilesional edema and seizures. Clin Infect Dis 2001; 33:1649.
23.&#160;Cantu, C, Barinagarrementeria, F. Cerebrovascular complications of neurocysticercosis. Clinical and neuroimaging spectrum. Arch Neurol 1996; 53:233.
24.&#160;Salazar, A, Sotelo, J, Martinez, H, Escobedo, F. Differential diagnosis between ventriculitis and fourth ventricle cyst in neurocysticercosis. J Neurosurg 1983; 59:660.
25.&#160;Alsina, GA, Johnson, JP, McBride, DQ, et al. Spinal neurocysticercosis. Neurosurg Focus 2002; 12:e8.
26.&#160;Del Brutto, OH, Wadia, NH, Dumas, M, et al. Proposal of diagnostic criteria for human cysticercosis and neurocysticercosis. J Neurol Sci 1996; 142:1.
27.&#160;Garcia, HH, Del Brutto, OH. Neurocysticercosis: updated concepts about an old disease. Lancet Neurol 2005; 4:653.
28.&#160;Bustos, JA, Garcia, HH, Dorregaray, R, et al. Detection of muscle calcifications by thigh CT scan in neurocysticercosis patients. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2005; 99:775.
29.&#160;Rauniyar, RK, Thakur, SK, Panda, A. CT in the diagnosis of isolated cysticercal infestation of extraocular muscle. Clin Radiol 2003; 58:154.
30.&#160;Chang, KH, Han, MH. MRI of CNS parasitic diseases. J Magn Reson Imaging 1998; 8:297.
31.&#160;Ng, SH, Tan, TY, Fock, KM. The value of MRI in the diagnosis and management of neurocysticercosis. Singapore Med J 2000; 41:132.
32.&#160;Creasy, JL, Alarcon, JJ. Magnetic resonance imaging of neurocysticercosis. Top Magn Reson Imaging 1994; 6:59.
33.&#160;do Amaral, LL, Ferreira, RM, da Rocha, AJ, Ferreira, NP. Neurocysticercosis: evaluation with advanced magnetic resonance techniques and atypical forms. Top Magn Reson Imaging 2005; 16:127.
34.&#160;Hauptman, JS, Hinrichs, C, Mele, C, Lee, HJ. Radiologic manifestations of intraventricular and subarachnoid racemose neurocysticercosis. Emerg Radiol 2005; 11:153.
35.&#160;Martinez, HR, Rangel-Guerra, R, Arredondo-Estrada, JH, et al. Medical and surgical treatment in neurocysticercosis a magnetic resonance study of 161 cases. J Neurol Sci 1995; 130:25.
36.&#160;Teitelbaum, GP, Otto, RJ, Lin, M, et al. MR imaging of neurocysticercosis. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1989; 153:857.
37.&#160;Garcia, HH, Del Brutto, OH. Imaging findings in neurocysticercosis. Acta Trop 2003; 87:71.
38.&#160;Flisser, A, Plancarte, A, Correa, D, et al. New approaches in the diagnosis of Taenia solium cysticercosis and taeniasis. Ann Parasitol Hum Comp 1990; 65 Suppl 1:95.
39.&#160;Garcia, HH, Herrera, G, Gilman, RH, et al. Discrepancies between cerebral computed tomography and western blot in the diagnosis of neurocysticercosis. The Cysticercosis Working Group in Peru (Clinical Studies Coordination Board). Am J Trop Med Hyg 1994; 50:152.
40.&#160;Tsang, VC, Brand, JA, Boyer, AE. An enzyme-linked immunoelectrotransfer blot assay and glycoprotein antigens for diagnosing human cysticercosis (Taenia solium). J Infect Dis 1989; 159:50.
41.&#160;Mason, P, Houston, S, Gwanzura, L. Neurocysticercosis: experience with diagnosis by ELISA serology and computerised tomography in Zimbabwe. Cent Afr J Med 1992; 38:149.
42.&#160;Mandal, J, Singhi, PD, Khandelwal, N, Malla, N. Evaluation of ELISA and dot blots for the serodiagnosis of neurocysticercosis, in children found to have single or multiple enhancing lesions in computerized tomographic scans of the brain. Ann Trop Med Parasitol 2006; 100:39.
43.&#160;Wilson, M, Bryan, RT, Fried, JA, et al. Clinical evaluation of the cysticercosis enzyme-linked immunoelectrotransfer blot in patients with neurocysticercosis. J Infect Dis 1991; 164:1007.
44.&#160;Chang, KH, Kim, WS, Cho, SY, et al. Comparative evaluation of brain CT and ELISA in the diagnosis of neurocysticercosis. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1988; 9:125.
45.&#160;Proano-Narvaez, JV, Meza-Lucas, A, Mata-Ruiz, O, et al. Laboratory diagnosis of human neurocysticercosis: double-blind comparison of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and electroimmunotransfer blot assay. J Clin Microbiol 2002; 40:2115.
46.&#160;Garcia, HH, Harrison, LJ, Parkhouse, RM, et al. A specific antigen-detection ELISA for the diagnosis of human neurocysticercosis. The Cysticercosis Working Group in Peru. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 1998; 92:411.
47.&#160;Gekeler, F, Eichenlaub, S, Mendoza, EG, et al. Sensitivity and specificity of ELISA and immunoblot for diagnosing neurocysticercosis. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2002; 21:227.
48.&#160;Dorny, P, Brandt, J, Zoli, A, Geerts, S. Immunodiagnostic tools for human and porcine cysticercosis. Acta Trop 2003; 87:79.
49.&#160;Barcelos, IS, Mineo, JR, de Oliveira, Silva DA, et al. Detection of IgG in cerebrospinal fluid for diagnosis of neurocysticercosis: evaluation of saline and SDS extracts from Taenia solium and Taenia crassiceps metacestodes by ELISA and immunoblot assay. Trop Med Int Health 2001; 6:219.
50.&#160;Shiguekawa, KY, Mineo, JR, de Moura, LP, Costa-Cruz, JM. ELISA and western blotting tests in the detection of IgG antibodies to Taenia solium metacestodes in serum samples in human neurocysticercosis. Trop Med Int Health 2000; 5:443.
51.&#160;da Silva, AD, Quagliato, EM, Rossi, CL. A quantitative enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for the immunodiagnosis of neurocysticercosis using a purified fraction from Taenia solium cysticerci. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2000; 37:87.
52.&#160;Garcia, HH, Parkhouse, RM, Gilman, RH, et al. Serum antigen detection in the diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up of neurocysticercosis patients. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2000; 94:673.
53.&#160;Ito, A, Plancarte, A, Ma, L, et al. Novel antigens for neurocysticercosis: simple method for preparation and evaluation for serodiagnosis. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1998; 59:291.
54.&#160;Erhart, A, Dorny, P, Van De, N, et al. Taenia solium cysticercosis in a village in northern Viet Nam: seroprevalence study using an ELISA for detecting circulating antigen. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2002; 96:270.
55.&#160;Nguekam, , Zoli, AP, Ongolo-Zogo, P, et al. Follow-up of neurocysticercosis patients after treatment using an antigen detection ELISA. Parasite 2003; 10:65.
56.&#160;Garcia, HH, Gonzalez, AE, Gilman, RH, et al. Circulating parasite antigen in patients with hydrocephalus secondary to neurocysticercosis. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2002; 66:427.
57. &#160;Coyle, C, Wittner, M, Tanowitz, HB. Cysticercosis. In: Tropical Infectious Diseases: Principles, Pathogens and Practice, vol 2, Guerrant, R, Walker, DH, Weller, PF, (Eds), Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia 1999. p.993.
58.&#160;Wang, CH, Gao, SF, Guo, YP. Diagnostic significance of eosinophilia of the cerebrospinal fluid in cerebral cysticercosis. Chin Med J (Engl) 1993; 106:282.
59.&#160;Nunes, CM, Lima, LG, Manoel, CS, et al. Taenia saginata: polymerase chain reaction for taeniasis diagnosis in human fecal samples. Exp Parasitol 2003; 104:67.
60.&#160;Del Brutto, OH, Rajshekhar, V, White, AC Jr, et al. Proposed diagnostic criteria for neurocysticercosis. Neurology 2001; 57:177.
61.&#160;Garcia, HH, Evans, CA, Nash, TE, et al. Current consensus guidelines for treatment of neurocysticercosis. Clin Microbiol Rev 2002; 15:747.
62.&#160;Carpio, A. Neurocysticercosis: an update. Lancet Infect Dis 2002; 2:751

Looking4Peace
09-28-2007, 02:13 AM
They do not bother me. I never understoond why some Muslims are afraid to even look at a pig on a farm. We are told not to eat them but where does fear of them and hate come in? I notice this with many Immigrants from the middle east. Explanations?

NoName55
09-28-2007, 02:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Looking4Peace
Originally Posted by NoName55

:thumbs_do killing anything for a reason other then neccesity and food is:mad:
where did you get the Idea that I did kill them?

Looking4Peace
09-28-2007, 02:18 AM
oopps now i understand u said close to it oh silly silly me:okay:

sorry :rolleyes:

جوري
09-28-2007, 02:20 AM
fear them?.. personally, I think they are filthy.. but I feel that way about most animals anyhow.. When I had a cat I used to bathe him 4x a week.. he didn't like it much either and cats are generally clean and very domestic compared to swine.. ... I wouldn't eat cat either

NoName55
09-28-2007, 02:20 AM
oopps now i understand u said close to it oh silly silly me

sorry

^^ :) no problem! wa salaam alaikum

Woodrow
09-28-2007, 03:01 AM

between this thread and many more this is a question that has been answered to the best of the abilities of the members here. Any further explanation would require the knowledge of a very profound scholar.

there is no sense in keeping this thread open. However, It will remain visible and can be fully read.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.